"Sunshine" or Quantum of the Seas from Cape Liberty,Starting Decembe 2014 ???

FIRELT5

It's possible that Royal Caribbean could ask St. Maarten Harbour to remove the Sunshine entries from their schedule until RCI officially releases their own schedule. So, for a bit of lasting documentation, I saved a screenshot showing the schedule described by the OP as it stood this evening on their web site.

Sunshine-Scheduled.png

Good work Daghis.

How many pax will be on Sunshine versus EOS?

We have only sailed on Celeb. Summit & Silhouette from Port Liberty..nothing nice on our part to say about it.....starting with the roadway into the port. the fiasco of the mini busses, potential for paint overspray on parked cars and lack of luggage assistance on disembarkation day. NY/NJ deserve better!!!!

All that said, it is alot easier than flying down to Florida....so we'll be back .

I was just getting ready to say the same thing. I would have assumed it meant Carnival Sunshine, rather than a project name on a port listing.

Especially since they have officially announced the name of the ship.

I can't imagine rci would let this information get out before they have officially announce the first sailing date and ports.

I was on the Explorer last week. This is what I took away from the questions at the top tier event.

Explorer will get its refit in 2015.

Quantum class will be an all weather ship. (Solarium roof)

There is a strong possibly Anthem OTS will replace Explorer OTS; IF.... a new terminal is built by 2015 @ Port Liberty. Sounded to me that unless a new terminal is built, a Quantum ship will not dock in NJ. The Captain and the Hotel Director sounded pretty firm about the new terminal being a deal breaker.

My two cents.

I was just getting ready to say the same thing. I would have assumed it meant Carnival Sunshine, rather than a project name on a port listing.

That could be, but Carnival Sunshine's name is already known and publicized, so it could have been listed on the St. Maarten Harbour page. However, Carnival Sunshine, at least until April 2014 (the last month listed at Carnival.com), isn't sailing to St. Maarten.

I was thinking that, too, but why wouldn't she get there until 12:15 PM? If she were coming from Florida, she could get there earlier in the morning on Monday.

Despite the times on the calendar, this is far enough out that it could easily change. When Mariner was cruising the Mexican Riviera, port schedules showed her visiting long after she left (though I think they were all updated by the time she left).

My thinking is that though Cape Liberty might not be a bad choice, the 9/5 night Bahama runs aren't going to be profitable enough for a new ship of this caliber (though it is quite possible that a 9 night voyage could present a decent premium). For all those that desire a ship to go back to the West Coast, this is precisely why they left: they can make more money elsewhere.

However this comes from someone who might understand the concept of maximizing profits, but doesn't know anything about the actual profits or margins for any of the ships or routes.

I guess we will find out more in the coming months.

For those questioning this and thinking it must be the Carnival Sunshine, all you have to do is look at the unique port times to see that this is Quantum of the Seas taking the place of EOS. The very unique 12:15 arrival time should be clue enough. If you look further you can see that the dates and port times are direct drop-in replacements for Explorer of the Seas.

Look at the Month of May for the next 3 years for instance....

Monday, May 6, 2013 12:15 - 20:00 Explorer of the Seas

Monday, May 20, 2013 12:15 - 20:00 Explorer of the Seas

Monday, May 12, 2014 12:15 - 20:00 Explorer of the Seas

Monday, May 26, 2014 12:15 - 20:00 Explorer of the Seas

Monday, May 11, 2015 12:15 - 20:00 Sunshine

Monday, May 25, 2015 12:15 - 20:00 Sunshine

How many pax will be on Sunshine versus EOS?

We have only sailed on Celeb. Summit & Silhouette from Port Liberty..nothing nice on our part to say about it.....starting with the roadway into the port. the fiasco of the mini busses, potential for paint overspray on parked cars and lack of luggage assistance on disembarkation day. NY/NJ deserve better!!!!

All that said, it is alot easier than flying down to Florida....so we'll be back .

We have taken cruises out of several cruise terminals. Cape Liberty is my least favorite. The traffic pattern getting into the port is strange; the luggage drop off is chaotic, and the need to take the shuttle bus is not convenient. I would have liked if they gave you the option to walk to the ship.

We liked the EX and may well sail from there again.

For those questioning this and thinking it must be the Carnival Sunshine, all you have to do is look at the unique port times to see that this is Quantum of the Seas taking the place of EOS. The very unique 12:15 arrival time should be clue enough. If you look further you can see that the dates and port times are direct drop-in replacements for Explorer of the Seas.

Ditto +. Also for the past several years RCCL starts there 9 day Bermuda/ Carribean, 5 Day Bermuda Itin in Mid April. Also according to Bermuda's Royal Gazette, Bernews, The Wharf

At the Dock Yard are being retrofitted for the NCL Breakaway and an unnamed RCL ship :)

Great detective work. Only one point I would challenge, it's probably going to be Anthem OTS. It fits better with Explorer refit and Anthem's finish date. Either way it's exciting to contemplate a new ship at Port Liberty.

The first time I see SUNSHINE on the port schedule is Dec 5/14 but I see a time of 0900 - 1800

To me, it is not the terminal building, per se, but the need to pile into the shuttle bus :eek: from the terminal to the ship, and back. That is the hassle that I do not look forward to. :(

Just my opinion, which doesn't keep me from using Cape Liberty. :D

Ray in NH

I agree!

I was thinking that, too, but why wouldn't she get there until 12:15 PM? If she were coming from Florida, she could get there earlier in the morning on Monday.

Maybe, maybe not. Celebrity Reflection currently leaves Miami on Saturday and makes its first port call in San Juan (relatively close to St. Maarten) at 3:00 on Mondays.

Great detective work. Only one point I would challenge, it's probably going to be Anthem OTS. It fits better with Explorer refit and Anthem's finish date. Either way it's exciting to contemplate a new ship at Port Liberty.

Nope. The first date listed is actually December 2014. That timeline matches up quite well with when Quantum of the Seas is expected to come out. With a scheduled October 2014 delivery to RCI, they would then maybe do a few shorter cruises to show her off. Plus the 12 or so day Trans-Atlantic. So you are looking at a late November 2014 start date for normal scheduled cruises from her home port.

For those that think it would not be profitable enough to base a Quantum class ship in New Jersey or think that the port is too ugly for one, think again. The New York metropolitan area is one of the most populous and affluent markets that Royal Caribbean services. Why do you think that Norwegian put Breakaway in New York doing a rather mundane Bermuda itinerary? Because they will make "boatloads" of money doing it! NCL is charging nearly twice the fare on Breakaway as they are getting on older ships with the same itinerary. And they are filling those Breakaway sailings up! People don't want to fly if they don't have to. Explorer has been there a long time and done quite well. Even Europeans will like embarking from there to take advantage of a few days in NYC pre-cruise.

Why build a ship that is "cold weather friendly" if you are going to port it in Florida?

I would be shocked if Quantum and Anthem wind up sailing from anyplace other than Southampton, England and Port Liberty, NJ. In my mind the only question is which one goes to which port.

And the most expensive in the area to fly in to.

No thanks, if sailing out of the 'garden' state. In Dec. no less?

EWR can have FANTASTIC fares, depending on which airport is on the other end of the flight. Perhaps it is more expensive from where you are, but that is not true for all flights.

For those that think it would not be profitable enough to base a Quantum class ship in New Jersey or think that the port is too ugly for one, think again. The New York metropolitan area is one of the most populous and affluent markets that Royal Caribbean services. Why do you think that Norwegian put Breakaway in New York doing a rather mundane Bermuda itinerary? Because they will make "boatloads" of money doing it! NCL is charging nearly twice the fare on Breakaway as they are getting on older ships with the same itinerary. And they are filling those Breakaway sailings up! People don't want to fly if they don't have to. Explorer has been there a long time and done quite well. Even Europeans will like embarking from there to take advantage of a few days in NYC pre-cruise.

Why build a ship that is "cold weather friendly" if you are going to port it in Florida?

I would be shocked if Quantum and Anthem wind up sailing from anyplace other than Southampton, England and Port Liberty, NJ. In my mind the only question is which one goes to which port.

eel, I think that you really don't go far enough in explaining the market for ships sailing out of Bayonne/NY ports.

It is not just the immediate area, which does, of course, have a huge population.

The cruiseline looks at the population that can DRIVE to the port. That increases the base for these NJ/NY ports exponentially. Some absurd percentage of US and Canada populations live within what is considered driving distance.

I believe that we will soon hear an announcement that Quantum of the Seas will be coming to "Port Liberty" in November/December of 2014.

I have no guesses about where they may deploy the Explorer of the Seas. I am sure that Boston would love to have her! So would Baltimore - would she fit under the Bridge? (I am thinking "no")

Archived