Carnival Conquest Review

Sandy504

Just got back from cruise aboart the Carnival Conquest. All in we had a wonderful trip. I'll go over a couple of pro's and con's of the trip. Would I book again--in a minute.

Speciality restaurant: Was wonderful, well worth the $35.00. Hubby had the cowboy steak, or porterhouse, which he said melted in your mouth. I had the lobster, wonderful. We both had the chocolate sampler. Great!

Cabins- We had previously booked on Lido 8E Balcony 9276. We put in a call to pursers desk because being so close to the elevators, and Lido being so popular because of food etc., the elevator's bells went off everytime the elevator doors opened. This resulted in the bells going off all day and night. Staff was very good about moving us to another balcony one floor down, and cabin stewarts helped move all luggage.

Food- All in all food was good. Only two nights in dining room, in my opinion, could have been better. Guy's burgers was wonderful, and had plenty of toppings. Iguanna's fish tacos with the watermellon salsa was great. A lot of people were taking advantage of these two restaurants. Quick, easy, and great food. We had your requested dining time which we liked. As we entered they would ask if we would like to share a table, which was good to meet new friends, and a couple of times we ate alone. If you enjoy the singing in the dining room it would be a good idea to find out what time the waiters sing, so you can plan your times for then.

Ports--

Key West--walked and did open air bus on our own. Good port and enjoyed Duval Street.

Freeport--Bought excursion on ship to Tiano Beach. It was around 99pp. Beautiful resort with small lazy river and great food included.

Nassau- Got off ship and took taxi to Atlantis. Bought small package for resort and toured underwater aquariums and areas. Enjoyed day, even though it was a huge area. I had heard the restaurants were very expensive. We found a Starbucks in Atlantis and each got a frozen coffee and blueberry muffin which kept us filled until we got back to the ship. I had read on CC to head back to the ship early because the bridge backs up, and it is true. We had left very early to head back and on top of the bridge was a stalled truck so it was beginning to really back up. Nassau is very congested. Lots of traffic.

Doctors on Board-- The second day of our cruise I was coming from the buffet with both hands holding milk in one hand, tumbler under arm, and saucer in the other hand. Somehow the sliding door either malfunctioned, or the eye did not pick me up after the people ahead of me had gone through, and the doors closed very fast. Long story short right arm had pulled muscles. Carnival was great about making sure I went to doctor on board (three times) and calling every day to check on me. Stayed in sling first two days. Like I told them, stuff happens, and they did their part by making sure I was okay and picking up the tab for medical expenses. I was impressed. Never once did they question who should pay for it. They just went out of their way to make sure I was taken care of.

Bars- The one I want to mention is Alchemey. I had read on cc about the drinks they made, and they were so right. The one I had had chocolate in it (don't remember the name) and my husband said they put herbs in it and lit it. It was so good, and strong.

If you have an upcoming cruise on Conquest she is a great ship and a good value. Even though there were a couple of glitches I was very impressed with Carnival and the service received.

Yes, I think a couple of months ago she was in dry dock. She looked great, but I don't know what all they did. I do know that Guy's Hamburger and the Blue Iguanna Grill was added and had great food. The burger we had had cheese, bbQ sauce, small fried onion ring, lettuce, & tomato. You then could take it to the bar and add numerous other toppings . The ground meat was very fresh and large patties. The french fries were homemade and huge. At the Blue Iguanna we had a burrito with shrimp, lettuce, salsa, lime flavored rice, beans. You could also go there for breakfast borittos that were good. I pulled up pictures of the ship after the 2.0 on CC before I left. The beds were very comfortable. I always bring a small noise maker that sounds like waves just to block out any hall noise. I think the Alchemey Bar is also new, and the sample bar where you get small samples of food from the ship. Everything was very clean, and they even washed our balcony one day. The one thing I did not care for was the fish and chips restaurant. It was very late when they were closing, and we are from the south so know our seafood, so that could have been why. We had the fried oysters, chips, and a cup of some type of calamari or squid.

In my luggage they let me keep a battery operated fan, the battery operated noise maker, and a small one glass blender. I am addicted to ice coffee so I brought the Starbucks VIA packs and kept milk in the refrigerator in the cabin and just went and got ice cream to add to them with ice from cabin. They did have a Coffee Shop on board but I do not care for their iced coffees, too sweet for me. the VIFP gift was the tervus Carnival tumblers which came in very handy.

Wow, thanks for all the good info. Good to hear about the two new eateries and the new bar. We just took her last Oct. and I remember how hard the beds were. We stood on our balcony the morning we docked in NOLA and watched them load truckloads of mattresses onboard. I was hoping for new ones. Glad you loved your cruise. We are going on her again in Sept. and I can't wait. Thanks again.

So good to hear a good review after a couple of bad ones recently...

Conquest was my first ship in 2005, and my most recent, last February, so we are excited to see the 2.0 upgrades when we leave out of NOLA this Sunday!!!

Did you go to Karaoke any....do you know the name of the K host?

I am looking forward to a GREAT trip!!

JB

sanmarcosman--no need to even consider it, it happened, they took care of the situation, and handled all medical bills. But I know what you mean.

Cajun Gal--look forward to a warm, cuddley, bed with chocolates and hippos, monkeys, and hearts lol... I'm not sure how many sailings you must have to be considered VIFP, I think it goes by days now. It used to be 10 sailings with Carnival.

firemanbobswife--they had a room decorated during the week for a wedding or reception. it was really pretty. My daughter and I sailed on the conquest many years ago. In fact we were on the sailing when they had trouble going under the power lines on the Miss. River.

Jabee--I am so jealous....be sure to check out those fish tacos, and the drink at the Alchemy Bar (which my husband said means pharmacy probably because they use all types of herbs in their drinks, pretty cool though) Did not do any singing although did go to the dance class on how to do the Michael Jackson thriller dance. it was fun

Oh and if you plan on laying out bring some Ala vera. We were only out for a short time at the top of the ship, enjoying that breeze and used 15 SPF but still got pretty red. Have fun!

MissCruise--We both liked him. He was Brit. Had high energy. Before each show kept the audience entertained. By the way the shows were very good. This was the first shows we had been to with the computer generated backdrops. Wow! If you have not seen it it is amazing. (rain, fire, fireworks) The Divas show was very good, and the Brit show (British singers) very good. Some small children sitting close to us loved the Brit show. They had a lot of 50's colors, flowers, etc. and generated on the backdrop.

Archived