your dream itinerary?

respondeat.cruiser

I just saw a sale for a 16 day trans-Atlantic at $500. Wow. I wish I had that kind of time. It would certainly be a dream cruise for me.

That got me thinking about what my true dream itinerary would be, that I could work into my schedule.

Barring a return to Bermuda, my dream itinerary would be a 1 week cruise out of New York City on the Westerdam leaving on a Wednesday afternoon. Sea days Thursday and Friday going full speed for Half Moon Cay. Spend the weekend on the island swimming and sailing. And then steam back to New York Monday and Tuesday. Priority departure on Wednesday, after one last breakfast in the dining room.

So what would be your dream itinerary?

And here are the rules (if you want to play by them)

1. name the port of embarkation/debarkation

2. what ship?

3. how many days?

4. where do you go?

5. and just for fun, it can't be something HAL already does.

. name the port of embarkation/debarkation - Baltimore Maryland

2. what ship? Rotterdam (I loved that ship)

3. how many days? At least 100 days

4. where do you go? Panama Canal, Hawaii, Tahiti, All the WWII Islands of the great battles in the Pacific , Australia, Sayshell Island, Suez Canal, Spain, Greece, Baltic cruise including Three days in St Petersburg Russia, Then Across the Atlantic to Baltimore. Also I would like at least two nights in each port so you have a chance to actually spend some time in port. Thats my dream!

sorry I prefer longer cruises.

One of my dream cruises was to South America - it was incredible.

my next dream cruise is the one I am going on now - and just to keep you content, we do stop in Bermuda - three ports in France - St. Malo, Cherbourg, HonFleur, then Belgium, then England then the 'typical Baltic ports\ with overnights in copenhagen and two in Hamburg - how good can it get?:)

I'd be happy if HAL just brought back the 14 day round trip Alaska Cruise they had until just recently. OK, maybe it could be improved with a couple of extra days and some overnights in a few ports so you wouldn't miss the scenery while they traveled at night. :D

Utahtea

Round-trip out of NYC; Boston is a great second choice for (dis)embarkation. The cruise would be 17-21 days, whatever it takes to do the cruise comfortably, with full days in port, and plenty of sea days to recover.

We would head north, and include stops in Bar Harbor, Halifax, St. John's, St. Pierre, Corner Brook, St. Anthony, over to some ports in Greenland (such as Sisimuit, Nuuk, Illulisat), and if there's time, over to Iceland via Prins Cristian Sund, before heading back.

(Some of the ports would be on the return.)

Call it corny but here's my idea. It would be a New York round trip on the Prinsendam (of course). The passengers would include some of the cruise critic regulars and visit their home towns and they would contribute some ideas for their home cities. Itinerary would look something like this:

New York

Wilmington Del (for Philadelphia)

Baltimore

Charleston or Savannah

Ft. Lauderdale

Bermuda (Captain Henk would guest Captain for FtLauderdale-Bermuda)

Tilbury

Edinburgh

Akureyri, Iceland (missed on my last transatlantic due to storms)

Reykjavik, Iceland

Prince Christian Sound

Greenland

St Johns, Newfoundland

Halifax

St. John, NB

Boston

Newport

Back to New York

Roy

Round-trip out of NYC; Boston is a great second choice for (dis)embarkation. The cruise would be 17-21 days, whatever it takes to do the cruise comfortably, with full days in port, and plenty of sea days to recover.

We would head north, and include stops in Bar Harbor, Halifax, St. John's, St. Pierre, Corner Brook, St. Anthony, over to some ports in Greenland (such as Sisimuit, Nuuk, Illulisat), and if there's time, over to Iceland via Prins Cristian Sund, before heading back.

This is my dream cruise. Basically a Voyage of the Vikings but turns back at Iceland if not Greenland. We'd also much prefer to sail out of NYC than Boston. That is one city DH did everything he could to avoid when traveling on business. Montreal or Quebec City would be our second and third choices. The Prinsendam would be ideal. The Zaandam, Amsterdam, or Volendam would do in a pinch. It would have to be a ship that didn't have Lanai cabins.

sorry I prefer longer cruises.

One of my dream cruises was to South America - it was incredible.

my next dream cruise is the one I am going on now - and just to keep you content, we do stop in Bermuda - three ports in France - St. Malo, Cherbourg, HonFleur, then Belgium, then England then the 'typical Baltic ports\ with overnights in copenhagen and two in Hamburg - how good can it get?:)

Jacqui,

We are looking at Azamara for 2014. Great minds think alike....new ports for us will be Cherbourg and Honfleur!! We were in Hamburg on the Kiel/Baltic cruise, and will be happy to be there again. If you haven't been there, it is a great city. We also loved Copenhagen. We will be in St. Malo on Prinsendam in Sept! You need to rent "The Umbrella's of Cherbourg. After I saw it, I told DH "I need to go there!" Still waiting for Prinsendam's itinerary to come out, but this itinerary has me excited. Except it's only 11 nights! Maybe you can answer this.....will there be tours to Giverny from Honfleur? Your cruise sounds perfect!

Linda

I'm not particular as to the ship, but it will to an S-Class or smaller (I'm not sure if the R-Class can fit under the bridge). The itinerary is already pushing 20 days, for just the port stops, so it's going to have to be a long cruise, I'd say 24-30 days.

Itinerary:

embark New Orleans, LA

sail to Key West, FL for an overnight stop

sail to Charleston, SC

sail to Newport, RI

sail to Bar Harbor, ME

sail to Halifax, NS for an overnight stop

sail to Sydney, NS

sail to Charlottetown, PEI

sail to St. John's, NL for an overnight stop

sail to St. Pierre et Miquelon, France

sail to Cornerbrook, NL

sail to Gaspe, QC

sail to Sept-Iles, QC

sail to Saguenay, QC

sail to Quebec, QC for an overnight stop

disembark Montreal, QC

I would love to add ports in the Baltic, but I do not like trans-oceanic cruises; all the sea days make me a bit stir crazy.

I'm sold on your itinerary Ruth. If the length can be held to 17 days I might have a shot at convincing my wife.

Archived