Just back from the Epic today

david_sobe

It St Thomas we took the boat to St John to Honeymoon beach. I will post a review, pictures and video in a few days. St John excursions sell out ASP

I think there are couple of Honeymoon Beaches in St.Thomas and Water Island there is Honeymoon Bay at St. John's. Is there Honeymoon beach on St. John's?

Hi David,

We will be sailing end of this week for the first time as a family with two teens! Since you asked:

1. Did you use the iConcierge app on the Epic? I have read mixed reviews but basically want clarification that the txt and phone work like they do on land. When you get a txt it beeps, when someone calls it rings. You dont have to be in the app in order for these functions to work.
  2. Do you have teen dailies or feedback on the Entourage club for teens?
  3. Does the balcony door stay open on its own or do you really need to have something to keep it open?
  4. What items did you miss not having that would be helpful?
  5. What item did you have that was helpful?
  6. Did you do any of the martini, margarita, etc special tasting events?'

Thanks!

Ed

Hi David,

We will be sailing end of this week for the first time as a family with two teens! Since you asked:

1. Did you use the iConcierge app on the Epic? I have read mixed reviews but basically want clarification that the txt and phone work like they do on land. When you get a txt it beeps, when someone calls it rings. You dont have to be in the app in order for these functions to work.
  3. Does the balcony door stay open on its own or do you really need to have something to keep it open?

Thanks!

Ed

Hi there

I dont have any teens so I cant help on any teen activities. Did not use the iconcierge either. Not sure it was worth the money since I have read negative things about it. Epic has touch screens all over the ship where you can find out what is going on any time. As you explore the ship is also a great time to check out menus.

I never missed any items that I thought would be helpful. We definately packed everything. We like little extras like room deodorizers and electric candles to make it feel cozy. The baclony door will stay open since they are the slide kind. However, if the ship rocks, it could close. Our bedroom door kept sliding at night sometimes.

Did not do any of the alcohol tasting events. They look like fun but try to limit my alcohol to late at night. I was a huge drinker on ships but the older I get, it slows me down. If I drink too early, I cant make the late show LOL

Have fun!

Hi David,

Thanks!

Ed

I can help with a few of these. We were on the 1/12 sailing. We didn't use the text portion of the app but I found the menus and schedule very helpful.

Unfortunately, I forgot to bring the teen daily back but my DD loved Entourage. Highlights for her included teen prom night, the rock wall as a group, bowling as a group, and the free jukebox in the club.

I did the margarita tasting and it was great!! I really had a lot of fun and it's a great value. I wish I would have done it earlier in the week and would have done the martini tasting too if I knew how much I would have.

I can help with a few of these. We were on the 1/12 sailing. We didn't use the text portion of the app but I found the menus and schedule very helpful.

Unfortunately, I forgot to bring the teen daily back but my DD loved Entourage. Highlights for her included teen prom night, the rock wall as a group, bowling as a group, and the free jukebox in the club.

I did the margarita tasting and it was great!! I really had a lot of fun and it's a great value. I wish I would have done it earlier in the week and would have done the martini tasting too if I knew how much I would have.

The margarita/martini tastings are really fun! You do, however, receive quite a bit of alcohol in a very short time. They give you 4 or 5, plus they come around and give you refills every round. I recommend doing it, but sharing with someone instead of trying to drink them all yourself. :D

Hi David,

Thanks!

Ed

Here is a link to All the Kids Dailies including Teens from this past Thanksgiving. Hope these help give an idea of what kind of things are scheduled.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1744621

Not sure it was worth the money since I have read negative things about it.

So, to use iConcierge app, you have to pay on the ship? I thought it is free and all our family and friends can use it to communicate on the ship for free:(

Since I was on the same sailing as David....

(1) iConcierge. It costs ... $7.95 per person, I think, to use the call/text functions. If you're all in the same cabin, you can use cabin messaging for free, as long as you don't mind (a) having to check for the messages (unlike the call/text, they don't push to the phone), and (b) everyone in the cabin with iConcierge being able to read the message. You can always use the schedules, reservations, and shore excursion portions for free. I used it all the time to keep track of what was going on where and when, and used it a couple of times to make reservations for the specialty restaurants. From what I understand, the call/text functions work over iConcierge, rather than working like a normal phone, so it's all VoIP and IP messaging. I seemed to keep connecting and disconnecting to iConcierge when my phone went to sleep, so I suspect it might be a bit problematic.

(2) Internet and tablets. I don't have an iPad, so I can't speak to that directly. My Nexus 7 seemed to work just fine, and logged out when I wanted it to. Sometimes that meant going back into the web browser, which I had previously closed, and directing it to logout.com to log out correctly. It seemed to work just fine. My bigger complaint that that Epic had fewer 2-for-1 Internet days this time.

(3) I went to both martini tastings, which had different cocktails. That's ... a lot of alcohol. (4 full-sized martinis for $15 in about an hour.) A good number of the people who did both split the drinks the second time. I missed the margarita tastings because they were too close to the martini tastings.

Archived