BOA Royal Caribbean Visa Changed my Account Numbers

TheMiz

Has anyone ever had Bank of America change their account numbers without telling you ?

It seems odd and I called but can't get a straight answer why this was done.

It would appear to me that Bank of Americas data has been compromised but they will not say.

Has anyone ever had Bank of America change their account numbers without telling you ?

It would appear to me that Bank of Americas data has been compromised but they will not say.

It has happened to us twice. I think you are correct as to the reason, but you will never know unless they send you a letter explaining it. The phone people won't or can't tell you.

Yes, this happened to me. I use MyCheckFree to pay bills, including my RCCL BofA. I was notifed on MyCheckFree that my account number had been changed. I called to find out the reason. I was told it was because my account might have been compromised and they were sending out a new card. The old card would still be good for a couple weeks. I did get the new card about a week later.

Yes, it's happened to me twice. They are not very forthcoming with information other than the number may have been compromised in some way. After the first time I took all of my auto pays off this card, because I don't want to have to keep calling companies to change the number.

It also happened to us twice. First time they sent us a letter. The second time we just found out accidentally.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I received an email from BOA about 2 weeks ago telling me there had been a security breech and, as a precaution, my account numbers would be changed. I called to ask why and, of course, they would not give me details but said there had been a possible security breech involving a large number of accounts. Perhaps yours was one of them?

Sherri:)

This happened to me twice last year on Bank of America cards within 2 months last summer.

Checking my cards daily, I saw charges on one card that weren't mine and had to notify them to cancel the account.

The other account number was just changed because the account had been compromised. I saw this before they sent me the letter and called because it was my Royal card and I was leaving on a cruise. They were able to expedite a new one to me in time.

FYI - Make sure you ask them to transfer your visa points from one card to the other. It happened to my DH a few months ago, they just sent a new card but they never transferred the points. Pissed me off because he was a few points under the 50K mark. :mad: Found that out when I went to redeem. Had to do it with 3 seperate cards since they wouldn't combine his! ....PIA!!!

FYI - Make sure you ask them to transfer your visa points from one card to the other. It happened to my DH a few months ago, they just sent a new card but they never transferred the points. Pissed me off because he was a few points under the 50K mark. :mad: Found that out when I went to redeem. Had to do it with 3 seperate cards since they wouldn't combine his! ....PIA!!!

Good point , I have over 100K and I am going online and check that they are still there.

Thanks Again for bring this up , having just checked I see it shows the original account number and not the last for digits of the new one.

Unfortunately the bad guys keep stealing card number files from merchants that have not fully protected data in their computer systems. On a regular basis we get alerts from Visa that a merchant was hacked, and this is the list of card numbers believed to be compromised. Your card number was on somebody's list. If Bank of America or RCCL were hacked, chances are everyone's card would need to be replaced ASAP.

It costs the banks millions of dollars in card fraud loses and approximately $3-$5 to replace the card. As long as there are bad guys, this will be a cost of doing business for the banks.

Believe me, the last thing a bank wants to do is change your card number and send you a new piece of plastic. I make no value judgements, but banks want to keep this quiet to maintain confidence in the system. Some make the news...

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/17871485/#.USfU9Gej8aU

Thanks Again for bring this up , having just checked I see it shows the original account number and not the last for digits of the new one.

My pleasure! Keep an eye on it or at the very least call them and ask them to make sure the points are transferred to the new account #.

OK just got an email that they changed MY account number :eek: Something fishy is definetely going on. I checked online and the number is different. I booked a private excursion with the "old" card" but they haven't charged it yet. I wonder if that's gonna create a problem. Great. :rolleyes:

OK just got an email that they changed MY account number :eek: Something fishy is definetely going on. I checked online and the number is different. :rolleyes:

Just found out they changed my acct. # too. Second time for this. Getting to be a habit, if you ask me. I will have to call about the points. I wanted to check to see how many I had and it said there were none. I think I may get rid of that card if I continue to have problems. Or at least, not use it.

Gwen :)

Just found out they changed my acct. # too. Second time for this. Getting to be a habit, if you ask me. I will have to call about the points. I wanted to check to see how many I had and it said there were none. I think I may get rid of that card if I continue to have problems. Or at least, not use it.

Gwen :)

How are you checking your points ?

Archived