Need advice on Balcony Cabin on Golden

fishmom

I know. Here we go again with someone wanting advice on their cabin!

Looking at the June 2 Alaska on the Golden. At first we were going to take C752, the Aft cabin on the port side. But realized we would be traveling northward and we potentially not have a good view of the glaciers. So switched to the starboard side to C743. Its on the very end. We have a hold on it currently.

There was a big difference in price of course between the two, so that is also a factor. But would go ahead and switch back to C752 if it was truly worth the extra $$. But feel like possibly for this itinerary, it may not be.

Very surprised there are still so many cabins available on this cruise, but realize it is still outside that 90 day window. This is the earliest we have made arrangements, as we usually wait for the bargains.

Both cabins are the same the same size and layout, and the balconies are just about the same size, Approx 9' x 9'. However, C752 is one of the most desired balcony cabins and is the highest category, B4. The balcony is open to the rear and to the side with broad views. C743 is a category BD. While the balcony is just about the same size as C752 the view to the rear is blocked by a steel bulkhead. It is still a very nice starboard facing cabin.

You will probably hear and feel the thrusters while docking in both of these cabins.

You will probably hear and feel the thrusters while docking in both of these cabins.

I don't have a problem with hearing/feeling the thrusters. Its part of sailing/cruising! On our last cruise we had got used to the 'whirr' of the engine and so late one evening when we unexpectedly lost power, it got very quiet. That's when we knew we had a problem and couldn't sleep until the soothing engine noise came back! Probably for more than one reason, LOL.

I know that C752 is a premium, especially in relation to the other cabin, and jumped on it at first. But we talked ourselves out of it when we thought about its location in relation to the scenery. I read one post that mentioned that they thought those with aft balconies didn't get as good a view of the glaciers. But I don't think they experieinced it first hand.

I know. Here we go again with someone wanting advice on their cabin!

Looking at the June 2 Alaska on the Golden. At first we were going to take C752, the Aft cabin on the port side. But realized we would be traveling northward and we potentially not have a good view of the glaciers. So switched to the starboard side to C743. Its on the very end. We have a hold on it currently.

There was a big difference in price of course between the two, so that is also a factor. But would go ahead and switch back to C752 if it was truly worth the extra $$. But feel like possibly for this itinerary, it may not be.

Very surprised there are still so many cabins available on this cruise, but realize it is still outside that 90 day window. This is the earliest we have made arrangements, as we usually wait for the bargains.

We had C743 on the Star in South America and really enjoyed the cabin. It has a small notch on the aft side for a slightly larger balcony.

C743.jpg

In this photo you can see another view of C743 and also part of the balcony of C752's twin, C753. You see that the balcony extends out from the ship and you have a view to the side as well as aft.

DSC01327.JPG

C752 would probably be a slightly better balcony because it is fully covered for more protection from rain and, facing aft, you are protected from the wind. This could be an advantage in Alaska. However, with the cabin recategorization, C743 is now a cat BD and C752 is now a Cat B4 where before they were both Cat BB. We have had a different aft cabin and we like the wake view on sea days but, for the money, I would probably stay with C743.

Standard cabins on C deck have the largest balconies - Also consider a GAR for JS (Superior Balconies) on deck D
FYI, Princess doesn't have the designation of either "Junior Suite" or "Superior Balcony." The cabin types are a suite, mini-suite, ocean view or inside. The new Royal Princess has an additional cabin type, "Deluxe Balcony." The Princess equivalent to a junior suite or superior balcony is mini-suite.

The OP is interested in a specific cabin or two; not a GTY. :(

I know that C752 is a premium, especially in relation to the other cabin, and jumped on it at first. But we talked ourselves out of it when we thought about its location in relation to the scenery. I read one post that mentioned that they thought those with aft balconies didn't get as good a view of the glaciers. But I don't think they experieinced it first hand.

Look at this u-tube video on cabin c752 on the Star, same as the Golden.

There is an additional advantage to a Caribe deck balcony, if you don't already know it. and that is that they are partially covered. That's an important consideration when cruising in AK, because of the potential for rain.

Only because we had a Caribe balcony were we able to spend a lot of time on it taking pictures in the frequent drizzly rain.

We had C752 on our Alaska cruise. Sat on it all day looking at the incredible views. Totally covered, panoramic views. Hope you can get it back, this is the coveted balcony that most of us want. WE even had our meals there, nice space, no wind.

Have had this aft balcony three times now and love it (Alaska, Hawaii,

and on another ship to New England and Canada).

Have C753 on CA coastal in May and so excited.

Archived