cell phone use

Anyone have any suggestions for using a cell phone at sea. We have verizon and the guy at the verizon store said we would rack up thousands using the phone internationally(we are cruising the caribbean). my husband may need to use it a few times for work. Any thoughts on what we could do? are there prepaid phones or something for international? I really have no idea, so any help is appreciated. The stateroom phone on Carnival was 1.99 a min compared to RC 7.95 per min!!

Anyone have any suggestions for using a cell phone at sea. We have verizon and the guy at the verizon store said we would rack up thousands using the phone internationally(we are cruising the caribbean). my husband may need to use it a few times for work. Any thoughts on what we could do? are there prepaid phones or something for international? I really have no idea, so any help is appreciated. The stateroom phone on Carnival was 1.99 a min compared to RC 7.95 per min!!

If you could configure your phone to turn off data, and only use it for voice calls, the cost should be about $2.49 per minute while at sea. This would be billed to you directly on your Verizon phone bill.

Turn off data don't use in port. Use only when it shows SEATEL or ur home service. SEATEL will be the ships service. Depending on if you are in a USA port (USVI PR etc) then you will be using ur home service and charges like at home. Last time we had a text message telling us we were in a foreign service area and charges could be outrageous each time the ship turned off SEATEL. So you are fairly warned. I would find another service rep that can give u better advice.

Can he work via email rather than phone?

My last cruise I took laptop and my company paid for my wifi usage in cabin. I checked in with work every morning and every evening when getting ready for dinner and then once more before bed.

People didn't get instantaneous feedback, but they all knew they'd hear from me within 4 - 6 hours at the longest.

uznmyhead,

Sorry to digress for a second, but are you from Port Neches, TEXAS? If so, HOWDY! I grew up in Nederland - my mom and MIL still live there so I'm in town at least 1-2 times a month. If you are in Texas, did you talk to the Verizon people at either the stores near the Beaumont or Port Arthur Walmarts? If the answer to that is yes, they are idiots and have no clue about their products! I've had to visit both those stores when I had problems with my phone or my mom's phone. It seems like I knew more than they did.

First, what type phone do you have - standard or smart? If standard, then the only time you will get charges is for calls ($2.49/min onboard, price varies in port) and texts ($.50 to send, $.05 to receive onboard or in port). You pay for texts onboard and in port regardless of whether you have a texting plan. If you have a lot of people who call, you should probably turn your phone off. You can check voicemail occasionally and decide whether to return any calls, but you will be charged by the minute for checking voicemail and any calls you make. Also, if you plan to make any calls, be sure to activate "international calling" on your phone. Otherwise, you will not be able to make calls from outside the US although you will be able to receive them.

Check what ports you are visiting. It is probably cheaper to make your calls in port than onboard. Also, the area around San Juan, Puerto Rico is included in Verizon's US calling plans so any calls/texts made there will be part of your normal monthly package. If you get too far outside San Juan, your phone will switch to roaming and those calls will be at international rates. The US Virgin Islands (St. John, St. Thomas, St. Croix) are included in the domestic data package but calls are considered international. I can't figure it out why but it's true.

Do you have a global phone or CDMA band only? If CDMA only, your phone will work onboard and on some of the islands that use CDMA signal. It will not work on islands that use GSM signals. It will show "no signal."

If you have a smart phone, do you plan to use any data? If so, you can prepurchase a global data package of 100 Mb for $25. If you don't have the package, the price is $20.48/Mb.

I have used my Verizon Droid 3 on several cruises and not racked up thousands or even hundreds of dollars in roaming. I leave my phone on so I can receive calls and texts. I let my friends/family know I will be on vacation so they only call for emergencies.

I always turn my phone data off once I get on the ship. It is the data charges that will really get you, especially if you don't have a global data package! When I'm at home, I have FB, email, etc. that download as background applications. I don't want/need that onboard. I turn my data enabled, data roaming, and background data to OFF and leave it off unless I want to download something. I may turn my data on in port long enough to download my emails (turn on data enabled & roaming, leave background data off) then switch all data back off when I'm done. If I can find a restaurant or bar that offers free wifi, I'll buy an appetizer or drink and download using their wifi connection. The data service on the ship is really slow - 1G usually, nonexistant if the weather is cloudy. With the global data package, both ship and ports are included so I find it quicker to wait until I'm in port to check data.

So far I have not had any problems with excessive charges. I buy the global data package and have never gone over the 100 Mb. Last cruise (Med) my bill was about $50 more than usual. Of that, $25 was the data package, another $15 was a couple calls I made/received for tour guides and home, the rest was a few texts and taxes.

IF you are going to use the phone, make sure you are covered for international roaming. Then check *specifically* if cruise ships are covered under that plan. On my plan they aren't. I checked and there is no plan that covers cruise ships, so if I ever tried to use my phone I would get dinged at whatever rate the ship charges, plus international roaming.

I'm not sure what people are smoking, but I see people on every cruise chatting on their phones. "Here Little Jimmy, say hi to granny!" and stuff.

We went to a Meet & Mingle where people were passing out their cell numbers and calling each other. They must have a lot more money than me.

I'm not sure what people are smoking, but I see people on every cruise chatting on their phones. "Here Little Jimmy, say hi to granny!" and stuff.

We went to a Meet & Mingle where people were passing out their cell numbers and calling each other. They must have a lot more money than me.

Or it was their first cruise and they had not seen their cell bill yet!:eek:

...but when they do you can bet they will blame the cruise line for charging them rediculously high charges and not telling them about it in advance - as if they determine the charges! :rolleyes:

Can he work via email rather than phone?

My last cruise I took laptop and my company paid for my wifi usage in cabin. I checked in with work every morning and every evening when getting ready for dinner and then once more before bed.

People didn't get instantaneous feedback, but they all knew they'd hear from me within 4 - 6 hours at the longest.

You may want to consider Skype if you indeed are going to use WIFI. The cost would be minimal if you already have an account that allows you to make calls to US landlines.

wow~i knew this was going to be a great way to get some super valuable information! thanks to all who replied, you all had some great insight, and ideas on what to do. Much appreciated!

Hi Dee~yes, good ol' port neches TX! And I absolutely agree with you that those workers at verizon do not know anything about their products. Mainly the reason I came here for advice. Thanks again for your in depth reply, you were very helpful.

Cruising in 5 days!

Teach me not to read every post in it's entirety.

I'm a little surprised by the responses. First off, See near the bottom of http://www.verizonwireless.com/wcms/global/plans-and-pricing.html The Interactive Trip Planner includes a cruise ship option. Then you might want to call the Verizon customer service number to figure out exactly what you need to buy. (My carrier, for example, allows one to buy a single month coverage for different travel options.) If Verizon is anything like my carrier you'll have to explain that you will be on a cruise ship and where you will be stopping.

You can buy a shipboard Internet package and use your phone's WiFi (if it has that ability) to connect to the internet. Just remember to follow the logout procedure to make sure you properly sign out from the ship's network and stop using minutes.

You may want to consider Skype if you indeed are going to use WIFI. The cost would be minimal if you already have an account that allows you to make calls to US landlines.

Skype is blocked on most ships as it is a bandwidth hog! In 21 cruises I have neve been on a ship that allows Skype to be used.

My sister on her first cruise had a $1000.00 phone bill because she was calling her children and they were calling her.

I think that people should use the cell phones in their cabins for those of us who do not care to listen to your phone conversations.

Its really too bad you h ave to work on a cruise.You should be taking time off to relax.

Jack we all get that this is your point of view - as you have expressed on numerous threads regarding technology. Please remember that just because you seem adverse to using modern technology and communication devices on cruises does not mean that this is how other people feel. Many of us have responsibilities back home that cannot be ignored for an entire week. And some of us simply enjoy being 'connected'. Please enjoy your cruise in the manner that you enjoy and I will enjoy MY cruise with my ipad, iphone, kindle! My connectivity has no impact on your wish for disconnection.

Jack we all get that this is your point of view - as you have expressed on numerous threads regarding technology. Please remember that just because you seem adverse to using modern technology and communication devices on cruises does not mean that this is how other people feel. Many of us have responsibilities back home that cannot be ignored for an entire week. And some of us simply enjoy being 'connected'. Please enjoy your cruise in the manner that you enjoy and I will enjoy MY cruise with my ipad, iphone, kindle! My connectivity has no impact on your wish for disconnection.

I do not think that the other poster meant anything by his remark. However, be connected all you want as long as I do not have to hear it.

Archived