Getting nervous here...

VallyD

I am getting nervous about this cruise. Bare with me guys, maybe it's just upcoming vacation nerves, maybe it's hormones, maybe I've taken a few things a bit too personally on this board which I know better than to do but knowing better never stopped me from doing much in the past :D

Okay these are apparently divisive topics as far as I can tell and Lord knows I have read half of this forum already and don't want to ruffle any feathers lol.

When I was looking for a new line I made a post in the new cruisers section. I'll snip it for you.

What we want:

A balcony or better. No doubt. I am super claustrophobic.

A very good room, as we intend to spend most of our time there

Good TV entertainment ^see above

Delicious food in the Main Dining Room

VERY formal formal nights, and MDR cocktail dress type atmosphere (On the Sensation I saw people on Formal night in flip flops and man did I feel over dressed)

Peace and quiet.

Mostly want to do beaches at port.

An older crowd (Husband is mid-thirties, me late twenties)

What we do NOT want:

Tons of Excursions

Too many specialty restaurants

Booze Cruise!

Obstructed views on the balcony.

OH! It's also worth noting we are (unfortunately) smokers, and I know different lines have different policies.

Shortly thereafter before I got any replies I ran across the HAL forum and posted this snippet:

I posted something about this in the "New Cruisers" forum, I don't know if that is allowed considering it is the same topic, so forgive me mods I am still very new here

My husband (mid thirties) and I (late...so very late... twenties) are FINALLY taking our honeymoon. We want peace and quiet, an older crowd, a romantic (NOT PARTY atmosphere), and lovely rooms. We want great food, formal dining, and good mature company. My first cruise (Carnival Sensation) was a total bust, but I am willing to give cruising a go one last time. We are both smokers, so that is basically the major deciding factor lol!!!

We don't want to party every day, we want to mainly stay in our rooms and enjoy musical entertainment and dining. We are laid back, easy going, and I'll admit I have a taste for very very good wine

Would you suggest this line? Would you like cruising with us?

I want to finally have that GREAT relaxing cruise experience

* All the replies I got were kind, encouraging, informational (as usual good job everyone) and not one tut tut about the smoking*

Finally after reading the "Secrets of HAL" thread and laughing myself to tears about the deck you can "makeout" on at night I was sold, these are my kind of people!! Hilarious, go with the flow, love it!

I replied in my new cruisers thread I think I had answered my own question and chose HAL, one person recommended Oceania (my god, I wish I could afford THAT) but everyone else agreed, I had landed on the right line.

Well the hubs and I are leaving in 23 days and the tone about some of the things I liked about HAL is starting to concern me :/ (I am aware a thread exists currently on negativity on this board which honestly when that thread was authored I had not even noticed any but I do now)

This whole smoking policy thing. I pretty much was sold on HAL when I saw the beauty of the ships, the clientele, but especially the SMOKING on the Verandah. I made a comment in a post here that I would not want to disturb anyone around me and was reassured it would all be groovy. I hate upsetting people with my smoking, I try to be very considerate, which is why I asked about it. Well this recent smoking policy thread has become worrisome (Yes I am a worrier all you men out there thank God you aren't my husband and all you ladies, he's taken lol). SO many people are so against it! It makes me feel terrible!

I was reading another thread which lead to another thread which lead me to the Cost Cutting thread. I read it all or mostly all before I started noticing a trend of people leaving for other cruiselines. I noticed a lot of things that made me feel like, man, if something that small is making everyone mad then how is my smoking going to go over? I also read some things I agree with re: Formal wear on Formal night, yes you should be formal, I agree. That's why it's called formal night, no brainer right? I got curious and snuck over to *Another* line that is in the same category of HAL and Princess (that should tell you) and found that I could book a nice suite for little more than I paid here for the same itinerary pretty much and just smoke in designated areas (which at this point, I might as well, because I would hate to make everyone around me have a bad vacation!).

There is this underlying tone here and there of ageism. Now before we all get our panties in a wad here, I realize the humor in this to a certain point because I know HAL suffers ageism of it's own from other cruiselines saying the crowd is...well....very old...to put it kinder than some other lines describe it. I really don't want to point out specific posts or specific people, but just because we are in our late twenties and mid thirties doesn't mean that we wont fit right in with everyone else. Comments about HAL trying to cater to us young folks in relation to cost cutting or drink packages (ok that one wasn't so subtle) to pull us over here to HAL (which TONE WISE IMO seems to say 'to make it even worse') really just isn't helping the reputation of the line in any way shape or form. :(

I can make a lot of arguments about this smoking thing, but I've tried to keep my big mouth shut out of respect to long-time HAL cruisers and long-time members of CC. Cigarettes get slack everywhere, but alcohol doesn't. Alcohol can lead to disasters on cruise ships, cigarettes don't. I'm not a huge fan of Chanel no.5 but if I was forced to sit at a table full of women who absolutely bathed in the stuff every night at dinner, I wouldn't ask for it to be banned from the ship or only allowed at certain tables. That comparison sounds ridiculous to you I am sure, but the smoking thing sounds just as ridiculous to us smokers. :o

re: Cost Cutting. Ever wonder how many people choose this line specifically because it's one of FEW (what, maybe two? is it the only line?) where you can smoke on your verandah? What if it was a significant number of people, significant enough to lose so much business that they had to cut more luxuries? Does that make sense? Would the smoking bother you guys so much then? :confused:

My tone in this might sound angry, but that isn't the intention it's just how I write when I am venting. This is meant to be read simply as an inquisitive thread about things that have me concerned about our upcoming cruise. I swear I have read so much about HAL (After that first cruise I'm determined to research everything lol) that I already feel a brand loyalty and I've never even step foot on a HAL ship! I think you guys are great, and I know most of you are thinking "This topic again?" but I just wanted to throw out some observations from a 'new' cruiser on this board. I really hope this thread isn't out of line and can remain civil and hopefully not deleted :eek:

Please be gentle,

xoxo

Val

A thoughtful post and the only response that comes to mind, for me is:

Nothing is perfect.

Unless traveling on your own private mega yacht, one cannot expect the ship of thousands to be designed in all respects to cater to our every preference.

What most of us try to do is find the cruise line/ship that most fits most of our needs.

There are trade offs and when sharing a limited public space with hundreds/thousands of people, there will be some features that are not custom designed for each and every one of us.

I know I am a very direct speaker and surely got 'right to the point' in this post but I do it with kindness and truthfulness intended.

We all have to give and take in cruising and in the world.

There are no two ways about the fact that verandah smoking is permitted by HAL and is bothersome to a majority of non-smokers. The fact HAL permits it does not mean that smokers should not try to be thoughtful of their neighbor at least once in a while. On a cruise of ten days, how about giving the neighbor the change to enjoy sailaway at least a few afternoons on their verandah and holding off smoking to permit them to stand at their rail a few times and enjoy their verandah?

The age of fellow guests can never be guaranteed in advance. We've sailed so many times on the same itinerary we see great variance and it is not always predictable.

You've made your plans, you have paid your money and now is the time to look forward happily to your honeymoon. This should be a happy time in your life and it would be great if you stopped seeing the negativity and focus on getting you and DH prepared to have a great cruise. If you focus on the negative, you could make it a self fulfilling prophecy. :eek: Don't worry about everything you read here. ;)

Hope you have the cruise you dream of and a fabulous honeymoon. :)

Just relax, we love HAL and I think that you will to. The best crew that we have ever come across. It's also the best food that we have encountered on any ship. Happy cruising.

A thoughtful post and the only response that comes to mind, for me is:

Nothing is perfect.

Yes you do get straight to the point! But, you do it with grace, and your point is valid. :) The 'Nothing is perfect' is absolutely true but you are right, absolutely goes both ways.

Just relax, we love HAL and I think that you will to. The best crew that we have ever come across. It's also the best food that we have encountered on any ship. Happy cruising.

Thank you for the encouragement.

We all have to give and take in cruising and in the world.

There are no two ways about the fact that verandah smoking is permitted by HAL and is bothersome to a majority of non-smokers. The fact HAL permits it does not mean that smokers should not try to be thoughtful of their neighbor at least once in a while. On a cruise of ten days, how about giving the neighbor the change to enjoy sailaway at least a few afternoons on their verandah and holding off smoking to permit them to stand at their rail a few times and enjoy their verandah?

The age of fellow guests can never be guaranteed in advance. We've sailed so many times on the same itinerary we see great variance and it is not always predictable.

You've made your plans, you have paid your money and now is the time to look forward happily to your honeymoon. This should be a happy time in your life and it would be great if you stopped seeing the negativity and focus on getting you and DH prepared to have a great cruise. If you focus on the negative, you could make it a self fulfilling prophecy. :eek: Don't worry about everything you read here. ;)

Oh yes and about this, it makes a lot of sense to hold off on smoking during sailaway (I assume you mean from each port?) and perhaps positive information like this on how smokers can happily coexist with non smokers would make a great discussion!

We are older than you, but We like the same things you do, Also I smoke LOL. Have been on about 12 HAL trips, All of them VERY VERY GOOD. Very few people on the Cruise have ever seen CC. Don't pay much attention to what you see on here. :D LOL. There is some good info some not so good.

We are older than you, but We like the same things you do, Also I smoke LOL. Have been on about 12 HAL trips, All of them VERY VERY GOOD. Very few people on the Cruise have ever seen CC. Don't pay much attention to what you see on here. :D LOL. There is some good info some not so good.

I try not to take much to heart, I've been on a lot of forums and learned that the hard way, but I get real worked up over my cigarettes :D

Take a lot of the comments you read here with a grain of salt. Approach your cruise with a great attitude and a sense of humour. (I guess you should approach your honeymoon the same way:)).

The cruise experience is much different than the Cruise Critic experience so don't let our bickering put you off. Your cruise will be what you make it and I know you will make new friends both young and old who you will cruise with again once you get addicted. Make no mistake, you will get addicted.

So---stop trying to over think. Just go with the flow and have the best honeymoon cruise ever.

Don't forget to let us know how your cruise went. :)

You should also remember that Cruise Critic is not the real world. Fears that can be generated here by a few will, in all likelihood, not present themselves when you are on the ship.

I've been on a number of HAL ships and never been bothered by other cruisers. (Well except for the newlyweds in the next room:D)

Stop worrying and have a great cruise!

I try not to take much to heart, I've been on a lot of forums and learned that the hard way, but I get real worked up over my cigarettes :D

Don't worry about it , You will find there are a lot of others that smoke. I have been on a lot of HAL and also CCL, and RCCL lines and no one has " Jumped " on me yet. :D

Don't worry about it , You will find there are a lot of others that smoke. I have been on a lot of HAL and also CCL, and RCCL lines and no one has " Jumped " on me yet. :D

The only person jumping on me better be my husband :eek:;):p If someone commented on my smoking I really don't know how I would react. I think it would depend on how much wine I had drank that night lol, after a couple glasses I would probably just offer them a smoke :D

You sound a lot like me...except for the smoking as I don't smoke. But I was hyper sensitive to being a family of 4 booking on HAL. But, like you, I had done my research and everything pointed to HAL as being the right fit.

I am living proof that you will not only survive your cruise but will love it and enjoy every minute! Where you took smoking threads to heart I look the "kid haters" to heart. Differnt issue, same response.

I encountered one grump during our week on board that muttered that kids have no place on a cruise ship. I won't tell you what I thought of him. My kids loved HAL (minus the grump) and beg to go back on board any DAM ship!:p

You will love formal nights. You will love your cabin and you will love the atmosphere, or at least we did. And if the sighs were any reaction, the kids getting all dressed for formal night didn't bother one person. In fact, DH was stopped by numerous older couples sitting at tables for 2 on our way out of the dining room after the final dinner thanking us for booking HAL and giving them the pleasure of watching two well behaved kids! Too bad that is a shock. But serves my point - if you are considerate of others your fears will be unfounded. You have the right to smoke on your balcony and if you are aware that there may be non-smokers around you are well ahead of the game.

We didn't go to one show or entertainment venue while on board. Our lives are so hectic at home we hung out in the library!!!:eek: We loved it. Kids went to club Hal and at night we went to the library and loved the peace. We haven't had so much together time since our honeymoon:rolleyes:; sad but true.

Enjoy every second. I am sure you will love it. Please come back and share when you return. I would love to read your impressions.

Enjoy your cruise!

I'm one of those horible ex-smokers, but have never felt "put out" by anyone smoking on any of my HAL cruises. Most smokers are polite and aware of thier surroundings.

I was 35 on my first HAL cruise and I knew I had found my preferred cruising home.

So, take a deep breath, and enjoy.

Cheers,

Deb

The only person jumping on me better be my husband :eek:;):p If someone commented on my smoking I really don't know how I would react. I think it would depend on how much wine I had drank that night lol, after a couple glasses I would probably just offer them a smoke :D

The time honoured official Cruise Critic response in that instance would be a smile and "well bless your heart!"

The time honoured official Cruise Critic response in that instance would be a smile and "well bless your heart!"

Well being South Carolina born and raised I think I'll do just fine on that one!

We didn't go to one show or entertainment venue while on board. Our lives are so hectic at home we hung out in the library!!!:eek:

That's so us right now. I have to keep in mind that not only are we planning this for our Honeymoon but because if we don't get the heck out of here soon we are going to lose our minds lol, sometimes life's like that I guess!

I am getting nervous about this cruise. <SNIP>..................................<SNIP>

Please be gentle,

xoxo

Val

Val, I've snipped out what I consider the most important comment in your post.

For what it is worth, do not take to heart those here on this board that will flame or slam you for what you do and have paid to do so, legally on your verandah!!

There are a number of extremely vocal posters, as I know you've seen already, who always have to have the last word and tell you that you are impingeing on their rights to enjoy what they have paid for. This is true, but then again so have you:)

Remember that those who would flame or slam you and even agree with you, are less than 2 percent of the actual passengers and that other 98% do not care what you do as long as it is legal:)

One other thing. NEVER say that you are a considerate smoker as some feel that there is no such beast:)

Go have fun and relax!! You will be on a DAM ship with the love of your life and enjoying this honeymoon of yours!!

Joanie

Val, I've snipped out what I consider the most important comment in your post.

For what it is worth, do not take to heart those here on this board that will flame or slam you for what you do and have paid to do so, legally on your verandah!!

There are a number of extremely vocal posters, as I know you've seen already, who always have to have the last word and tell you that you are impingeing on their rights to enjoy what they have paid for. This is true, but then again so have you:)

Remember that those who would flame or slam you and even agree with you, are less than 2 percent of the actual passengers and that other 98% do not care what you do as long as it is legal:)

One other thing. NEVER say that you are a considerate smoker as some feel that there is no such beast:)

Go have fun and relax!! You will be on a DAM ship with the love of your life and enjoying this honeymoon of yours!!

Joanie

Love the snip snip, lol, thank you for the laughs!

Val,

Good advice given here as to not overthink things.

I started with HA at the age of 43. I'm now 51. It has never bothered me that the typical passenger is older than I. Older passengers are wonderful to be around. I have been on RC and I hated it! Never again!

Don't worry about smoking. Just don't worry about it.

Wishing you a wonderful honeymoon cruise! Please do let us know how it went for you and your husband.

I have a very STRONG feeling that you are going to fall in love with HA like the rest of us.

Best wishes,

Tricia

I think and hope you will have a great time and love HAL. I have 2 married daughters in their early to mid 20's who love both HAL and Celebrity. They have not felt bored but enjoyed the atmosphere and fellow cruisers over the more party like lines.

I can assure you that as a nonsmoker I do not get upset at the neighbor smoking because they are allowed to do so. My frustration goes to HAL who allows it.

I would suggest you try the entertainment just once. You might find you like it especially when you are dressed up for formal night.

Enjoy your cruise, welcome to CC and welcome to the HAL board:).

If I took everything to heart that I read on CC I would probably never find a cruise ship that I would be happy on. You have gotten some very wise information from seasoned cruisers - on this thread. I hope when you get back from your honeymoon cruise you will share your HA experiences with us. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding and Bon Voyage.

You mentioned you want to spend a lot of time in your room. You'll have a card you can fill out at night and hang on your door for breakfast and it will be delivered in the morning. It's really nice to take your coffee and rolls out onto the balcony. There is no charge for this, although you can tip a dollar or two if you'd like.

You also mentioned you like wine. Take a bottle or two of your favorite wines (and an opener) on board. You'll have glasses in your room.

TV... hmmm. That's a personal choice. There are shows and movies, but you might want to include some DVDs in your luggage so you can watch what you want, when you want.

Have a wonderful honeymoon.

Val, don't over think it. There are several 'hot' topics that will get people going on these boards - the problem with an 'anonymous' board is that sometimes people type before they think;) and say things that they wouldn't say in person. (smoking is one of those 'hot' topics).

Sure, people miss some of the little things that were there a number of years ago and you will hear them lament them. Same thing on the other cruise lines.

HAL still offers a very nice product and still has a lot of nice touches IMO.

From what you said you were looking for I think you should have a great cruise:)

Have a fabulous honeymoon and a wonderful cruise:)

VallyD

I know EXACTLY what you are talking about....and I feel your pain...so to speak...

I dont know if its's Cruisecritic in general, or just the "fans" of HAL. CC is a wealth of information...alot of it Factual...and a whole lot more of it...Subjective, and less factual. One of the reasons why I quit participating in Cruise critic discussions in the late 90's...and then again in the early 2000's LOL :D

I read a comment here on these HAL boards..Just last week on the bathrobe thread I think...along the lines of "perhaps you dont belong on HAL"

To me... besides being incredibly rude..that comment just smacked of elitism, and if I was HAL, I wouldnt want comments like that Potentially scaring away Newbie cruisers to HAL like myself.

After all, it IS the hospitality industry....Everybody should be welcome. After you pay the fare of course. Whether you smoke, Drink your drinks on an unlimited drink card, wear a tux on formal night or not, Wear a bathrobe outside of your cabin to the pool, ride on a hoveround, or whatever...and Im sure they ARE according to HAL.

It's just that WE sometimes get so wrapped up in planning our cruises...that we let some internet Blowhards...that arent even going to be on the ship with us...get us worked up...most times for nothing.

Im very nervous about our upcoming HAL cruise too. We have been on other ships, of course..and we usually have a good time. Yes..these HAL ships might be a little sedate for us...But we wont know till we try it. Right?

We will be on the N.A. in ten days. We are in our 40's We are a GAY couple who have been together 22 yrs. If you dont know, Years in Gay relationships...are like dog years vs Human years. The point? Id say we are kinda out of the HAL demo, except we like to eat, and lay around by a pool, and we arent afraid of a drink. We arent really the "formal night types" and I may or may not pack a dark suit, I dont own a tux.... as a guy who was forced to wear suits and ties for work for years...I never really wanted to see formal wear on my vacations...But thats just me... We just wanted to try something different. We loved celebrity Last year....I had no interest in trying RCCL and the allure/oasis , so HAL seemed like a good fit for us.

My last major hangup is that Im kinda kicking myself, because I didnt do the SC upsell..at 1,200 From our VH-VQ guarantee, But Ball and Chain aint feeling it... maybe next time.

Id say..just go. Relax your mind...Quit stressing about your vacation/honeymoon and just have a nice time. Take lots of notes..because I for one will want to read your review.

Take care

Joe

Or as Sister Helen Holy on the RSVP charters advises: you just say "Well..." then turn around and walk away. :D

Archived