just returned from Gem

markf

Just returned today-and i would have to say I was a little disspointed.

We are platinum cruisers who have been in full suites the last 5 cruises.

The quality of the food appears to have diminished--basicall every buffet had the same food--a big push for pizza, hot dogs hamburgers. Lots of pasta and lasagna served different ways. The scene at the buffets was simply chaotic, tables slow to be cleaned, then no cutlery on several occasions. The layout is poor and traffic flows poorly.

We ate in the better retsaurants 6 of the 9 nights and they were Ok--including the chefs table-

The service in Cagneys for breakfast and lunch was not what they were once were, plates were slow to be picked up, no personable service from any of the waiters or maitre d.

The concierge, Florentina, was top shelf, but she is leaving in 2 weeks.

I did mention my comments to the HD, and he seemed uninterested in what I had to say, and challenenged every comment I made. He did invite us to dinner, but that doesnt fix the shortfalls.

It appears to me that the staff is overworked, our room steward had 16 rooms and was cleaning until after 3 pm every day and then back at 5 pm

The entertainment was good, Man from Mars excellent, comedian was funny.

I think NCL should take the time to see what Celebrity delivers, if they perceive CCL to be there competition!

But, all in all a cruise is better that work, but having paid a premium for a suite, I do not feel I recd the usual special treatment.

Sorry!

I was given a invitation for dinner for myself and my wife which I used and i was also invited to dine with officers, which we had to turn down due to rough seas--

We only ate in MDR once and I dont remember which night but I know it wasnt the 2nd night -

the mdr has the same menu each night with exception of a few specials.

Just returned today-and i would have to say I was a little disspointed.

We are platinum cruisers who have been in full suites the last 5 cruises.

The quality of the food appears to have diminished--basicall every buffet had the same food--a big push for pizza, hot dogs hamburgers. Lots of pasta and lasagna served different ways. The scene at the buffets was simply chaotic, tables slow to be cleaned, then no cutlery on several occasions. The layout is poor and traffic flows poorly.

We ate in the better retsaurants 6 of the 9 nights and they were Ok--including the chefs table-

The service in Cagneys for breakfast and lunch was not what they were once were, plates were slow to be picked up, no personable service from any of the waiters or maitre d.

The concierge, Florentina, was top shelf, but she is leaving in 2 weeks.

I did mention my comments to the HD, and he seemed uninterested in what I had to say, and challenenged every comment I made. He did invite us to dinner, but that doesnt fix the shortfalls.

It appears to me that the staff is overworked, our room steward had 16 rooms and was cleaning until after 3 pm every day and then back at 5 pm

The entertainment was good, Man from Mars excellent, comedian was funny.

I think NCL should take the time to see what Celebrity delivers, if they perceive CCL to be there competition!

But, all in all a cruise is better that work, but having paid a premium for a suite, I do not feel I recd the usual special treatment.

Sorry!

Welcome home neighbor. I live in Plainview as well. How was the Chef's table ?

I was given a invitation for dinner for myself and my wife which I used and i was also invited to dine with officers, which we had to turn down due to rough seas--

We only ate in MDR once and I dont remember which night but I know it wasnt the 2nd night -

the mdr has the same menu each night with exception of a few specials.

The number of changing daily special entrees is equal to or more than the number of entrees that are available every night. This is nothing new nor is it unique in any way to NCL...the mass market cruise lines are pretty much the same in this regard.

I also don't understand the reference to Celebrity in your first post. NCL is generally competing with Royal Caribbean and Carnival, not Celebrity.

I'm leaving on the Gem 4/27 from NYC to Bahamas. My first cruise. Ill be sleeping on the 10th floor in a normal room.

Its part of my 37th bday present. What is there special to do for birthdays? Are there any party nights?

I'm leaving on the Gem 4/27 from NYC to Bahamas. My first cruise. Ill be sleeping on the 10th floor in a normal room.

Its part of my 37th bday present. What is there special to do for birthdays? Are there any party nights?

Its my birthday on the 28th!!! And ill be on the boat too!!!! I'll be 26. You should join our meet and greet :)

I returned home today from the same cruise on the Gem. I have to agree that the service in Cagney's was pretty awful... I ate breakfast and lunch there at least 5 times and dinner 1 time. Each time there were no more than 3 or 4 other tables at the same time and each time there was either items ordered that never arrived, coffee requests not delivered and once the orders were brought out the server never returned to see if everything was okay or ask if we would like dessert.

I was a little disappointed but...

We also ate at La Cucina, Le Bistro, Tapanyaki, Blue Lagoon and the Grand Pacific. We had great experiences with all! Blue Lagoon and Grand Pacific were always pretty busy and the service was consistently good or great...

I returned home today from the same cruise on the Gem. I have to agree that the service in Cagney's was pretty awful... I ate breakfast and lunch there at least 5 times and dinner 1 time. Each time there were no more than 3 or 4 other tables at the same time and each time there was either items ordered that never arrived, coffee requests not delivered and once the orders were brought out the server never returned to see if everything was okay or ask if we would like dessert.

I was a little disappointed but...

We also ate at La Cucina, Le Bistro, Tapanyaki, Blue Lagoon and the Grand Pacific. We had great experiences with all! Blue Lagoon and Grand Pacific were always pretty busy and the service was consistently good or great...

Can you give details on La Cucina? I just reserved a table there for my birthday. How was the food? Was it noisy or busy?

If you are paying for suites every time, maybe it's time to step up to the premium cruises. Not a diss, I have family that swear by them for the better service and overall experience. I have never been on one, so it is completely hearsay for me.

I came off the Gem recently and did not experience any of these shortcomings. I'm sorry to hear your trip was slightly disappointing.

I don't remember everything on the menu on the second night but I do know that the second night was my favorite meal: Chimichurri Steak. It is delicious!

Welcome home neighbor. I live in Plainview as well. How was the Chef's table ?

We also were at the Chef's table with Mark and his wife. We thought it was very good. The chef, Kevin Green, was very very nice and attentive. He is the Exec Chef of the ship. He was a tad hard to understand though. Also, had a great galley tour with him the next morning. He recognized us several times throughout the cruise and always said hi and talked a bit so that was fun.

Food was very good as was the wine. And they are VERY generous with the pours; all in all a good time well worth the $$$. I wish the time was a bit later; we had to meet at 5:45 for a 6 res. We just don't eat that early on a cruise but I know everyone is different.

We had a good group also and that makes a big difference.

I was on the 2/5 cruise & had excellent service for breakfast & lunch in Cagneys but then I eat early - maybe it was busier later.

I am surprised at the HD comment. Steve Knott not only addressed our Meet & Greet group & really answered the questions but went out of his way to help w/one cruiser whose anniversary had not been observed.

He sent chocolate-covered strawberries to their cabin & comped a

dinner at Cagneys. And he seemed quite affable & accessible to all.

As for the dining room selection: There was always a chef's special each evening along with 5 new entrees & the standard 5. My only negative was a unedible steak one nite. The salmon is always good as was the lamb shank w/butternut squash one evening.

Missy428,

La Cucina was great. I was on the Jewel last year and enjoyed our dinner then as well! It was semi busy but not noisy and the menu was very good with lots of classic Italian dishes. I had the Osso Bucco and it was fantastic! Enjoy your birthday celebration!

Pyrrhus,

I understand what you are saying... This was my second cruise with Norwegian and first suite with them....we were in a balcony last year on the Jewel.

I had a great trip and enjoyed the suite experience for sure.

I did have the same server each time for breakfast, lunch and dinner in Cagney's so my experience can be isolated to just one server...

Pyrrhus,

I understand what you are saying... This was my second cruise with Norwegian and first suite with them....we were in a balcony last year on the Jewel.

I had a great trip and enjoyed the suite experience for sure.

I did have the same server each time for breakfast, lunch and dinner in Cagney's so my experience can be isolated to just one server...

Understood. It just seems that those that are able or willing to pay 3k+ pp might enjoy the true premium brands more (not counting (Celebrity among those they are nice and my favorite cruise line overall, but still just s better version of the mass market lines. Now that some of them are getting the much bigger ships I am considering one. Of course 3k might get you a suite on ncl, but might only get you a nice balcony on Seabourn et al.

Welcome back OP.

You said you did not receive the usual suite treatment, but other than Cagney's, did you experience any other suite-related disappointments?

I found the hotel director, Stephen Knott, very responsive to concerns. Mind you, I was raising issues affecting me specifically, not in general.

We just got off the Gem yesterday and did not have any of the issues the OP had. We were in the Haven for the 5th time. We found the Buffet to be as well rounded as it can be for 9 days. There is always something to eat. We dined at Le Bistro twice, Teppanyaki twice, Cagneys and Magenta, all were good.

We love Florentina as Concierge but sadly yesterday she started her final crusie for a year. The NCL crew never disappoints.

We like the HD Steve Knott very much and he stopped us quite frequently to ask how things were going. We have crusied almost every major line and there is no Suite life like NCL so I have no idea what can be learned from Celebrity.

All Just my opinion

We love Florentina as Concierge but sadly yesterday she started her final crusie for a year. The NCL crew never disappoints.

We like the HD Steve Knott very much and he stopped us quite frequently to ask how things were going. All Just my opinion

Do you happen to know who will be taking over for FLorentina?--(she is leaving for a year???- that is a long time..-hope she is OK)

Do you happen to know who will be taking over for FLorentina?--(she is leaving for a year???- that is a long time..-hope she is OK)

I was asked not to say it is an internal promotion on the Gem. I am sure it will be out there the end of this week. She is fine just really wants to spend time with her boys. They were onboard when we were in Samana and they are adorable, tough to be a long distance Mom, I could never do it.

I am glad that the one other suite owner shared my comments on service in Cagneys-

I am coming to the conclusion that i should step up to a 5 star cruise line--but in my defense they promise to deliver a product , I am paying a premium for a product and they need to deliver on their side.

After spending a day in the office maybe some of the shortcomings are not that bad.

by the way I also found that with this itinerary they could do better with TV channel choices, they should get CNN CNBC and more general programming .

Certainly now that NCL is a public company -we will see more pressure on the bottom line

I was asked not to say it is an internal promotion on the Gem. I am sure it will be out there the end of this week. She is fine just really wants to spend time with her boys. They were onboard when we were in Samana and they are adorable, tough to be a long distance Mom, I could never do it.

Glad to hear that she is getting to spend more time with her boys. I loved talking to her about them in January... she is very sweet and, I agree, a top notch concierge.

thanks...as long as she and her family is fine...that was my concern....;)

Hope to know soon about replacemnt...sailing the Gem in October...

Archived