Shore Tour Combination for 4 Ports?

ragbag1

Our first ever Alaskan cruise will be on Milennium, sailing south from Seward Sept 6th. We start with Celebrity land tour of 4 days including Denali.

Lots of good tips on this board port-by-port but help wanted on a good varied combination of excursions (early September) for our 4 ports: Juneau, Skagway, Icy Straight, Ketchikan.

Maybe do whales one place, bears another, salmon or glacier another. We like small private tours but will go with the ship ones too. Not willing to take helicopters or seaplanes:p

Thoughts anyone?

Your bears- will be at Denali Park, if you have 2 nights there, you may want to consider adding another trip in by shuttle bus to Toklat. Be CERTAIN you have the Tundra Wilderness tour included.

Whales- are seen 100% of the time- humpbacks, out of Juneau and Hoonah.

Fishing out of Ketchikan- if that is what you mean by "salmon"?? If you just want to see some, the look in every port, you have 4 chances for an active run. :)

Glacier- tour out of Skagway, or a look at Mendenhall out of Juneau. If Juneau is your choice, then doing this in combo with the whale watch will save you at least and hour in transit time. Independent offers you the option to decide when you leave. I highly recommend Orca Enterprises.

Another excellent glacier tour option that may be available is an all day trip to Tracy Arm.

Depending on your last cruisetour night- I always advocate dumping the tour the last day if in Anchorage or Girdwood and taking the Alaska RR to Seward. This is excellent use of time especially if a interest in seeing Kenai Fjords.

Your bears- will be at Denali Park, if you have 2 nights there, you may want to consider adding another trip in by shuttle bus to Toklat. Be CERTAIN you have the Tundra Wilderness tour included.

Fishing out of Ketchikan- if that is what you mean by "salmon"?? If you just want to see some, the look in every port, you have 4 chances for an active run. :)

Glacier- tour out of Skagway, or a look at Mendenhall out of Juneau. If Juneau is your choice, then doing this in combo with the whale watch will save you at least and hour in transit time. Independent offers you the option to decide when you leave. I highly recommend Orca Enterprises.

Another excellent glacier tour option that may be available is an all day trip to Tracy Arm.

Depending on your last cruisetour night- I always advocate dumping the tour the last day if in Anchorage or Girdwood and taking the Alaska RR to Seward. This is excellent use of time especially if a interest in seeing Kenai Fjords.

Thanks for your advice. It sounds useful but I see you have answered several posts and wonder in what capacity. Do you have professional travel business connections that we need to be aware of?

Thanks for your advice. It sounds useful but I see you have answered several posts and wonder in what capacity. Do you have professional travel business connections that we need to be aware of?

I don't know the absolute answer to your question, but I think that Budget Queen gives information freely.

I'm not sure what your "challenge" means :confused: ?

I don't know the absolute answer to your question, but I think that Budget Queen gives information freely.

I'm not sure what your "challenge" means :confused: ?

Yes, indeed Budget Queen is quite helpful for many Alaska cruisers. Her experience is invaluable here.

There are some who feel they need to challenge anyone giving information as to it's authenticity. It could be a legitimate question.

Yes, indeed Budget Queen is quite helpful for many Alaska cruisers. Her experience is invaluable here.

There are some who feel they need to challenge anyone giving information as to it's authenticity. It could be a legitimate question.

Sorry if I struck an overly suspicious note:o. Budget Queen may well be someone who just enjoys sharing her experience, which is admirable.

However, CC monitors have issued warnings that there are sometimes people writing on these port excursion boards, particularly local inhabitants, who aren't impartial. They recommend businesses they have connections with. Doesn't upset me if we know it's the case and take it into account.

Sorry if I struck an overly suspicious note:o. Budget Queen may well be someone who just enjoys sharing her experience, which is admirable.

However, CC monitors have issued warnings that there are sometimes people writing on these port excursion boards, particularly local inhabitants, who aren't impartial. They recommend businesses they have connections with. Doesn't upset me if we know it's the case and take it into account.

It can be helpful to look at the member info on the top of posts. You can see that Budget Queen is from Syracuse, so not an Alaskan local. She's been a member since May 2000 and has over 30k posts, so she's not some random person who just happened to drop in on the boards. If you click her name and go look at her posting history, you soon learn that she has traveled Alaska many, many times and has a lot of experience with cruises, excursions, private tour operators, etc. Her attitudes towards things may not agree with everyone else's, but I can appreciate her perspective and find her advice very useful.

Budget Queen gave me great advice on my Alaskan ports of call. When I wasn't sure about something she was able to chime in, give me the information I needed, and I was on my way to booking. What seemed like a daunting task (booking tours for 4 ports when there is just so much to do) became a very easy one. If Budget Queen was giving advice that shouldn't be on the boards...CC would have given her the boot along time ago. But - she is just a wealth of information so I'd definitely listen to what she has to say.

It is always a good idea to consider the source of information on the internet. What I look for is how many posts a poster has and on what subjects. You cannot judge based on where a poster claims to live, most tour promoters will claim to be from somewhere else. After awhile it becomes easier to spot self promoting people. They'll have just a few post and each post recommends the same tour provider. Some will even post on multiple Roll Calls claiming to be on each sailing, looking for people to join them on a tour. These poster generally are found out rather quickly.

You can click on anyone's user name and go to the list of all their previous posts, it can be very helpful in evaluating whether or not you think they are a credible source for information. If you have any doubts, that's fine, you have to go with what you are comfortable with.

The only link I have to the travel industry is my husband is a retired airline employee. With that, the world is small when you don't pay for flights. I have traveled way more than most people, and have been for 30 years, starting in my 20's. Last year, I traveled 16 weeks, including my usual 4 in Alaska.

I travel Alaska every year, last several- 4 weeks at a time. First trip was in 1994 (no intention of returning). I know Alaska, and have NO business interests there. I have an extensive network of my preferred touring, which I state are my opinions. Everything, I post about, is FIRST hand. I do find, too many posts with "recommendations" but they haven't even been there.

I also have never been "questioned" by cruise critic on my motives etc.

The only link I have to the travel industry is my husband is a retired airline employee. With that, the world is small when you don't pay for flights. I have traveled way more than most people, and have been for 30 years, starting in my 20's. Last year, I traveled 16 weeks, including my usual 4 in Alaska.

I travel Alaska every year, last several- 4 weeks at a time. First trip was in 1994 (no intention of returning). I know Alaska, and have NO business interests there. I have an extensive network of my preferred touring, which I state are my opinions. Everything, I post about, is FIRST hand. I do find, too many posts with "recommendations" but they haven't even been there.

I also have never been "questioned" by cruise critic on my motives etc.

To all who joined the fray -- thanks.

And to you, Budget Queen, thank you for sharing your experience of Alaskan travel with us neophites. I will read your unbiased opinions on these boards with interest.

I have to say she was so much help to me when I asked. I even e-mailed her private and she answered me, as far as I am concerned she is just a very nice person that wants to help people get the most out of their vacation dollar.

Budget Queen is a great resource on this board. Be glad that she is willing to share all of her experience.

DON

Thanks again, Budget Queen, for your comments.

Based on a couple of them, should we be worried about our choice of pre-cruise tour? Anyone been on it or similar tour with other cruise line, or planning to?

Day 1 we arrive in the evening at Wedgewood Resort, jet-lagged.

Day 2 Labor Day, we gold dredge and visit UAF museum (??).

Day 3 we take train 3 1/2 hours to Denali, in time for the 5 hr Denali Natural History tour in the afternoon. (Gets dark too early for the Tundra tour, they said).

Day 4 morning open till we leave Denali at noon by rail, arriving about 4 pm at Talkeetna Lodge, (and hope the skies are clear;)).

Day 5 we motor coach for 2 1/2 hrs to Anchorage Marriott and take a city/Native Heritage tour for 3 hrs in the afternoon.

Day 6 we transfer 2 1/2 hrs from Anchorage to Seward and board the Millennium.

In view of distances it seems like visiting London, Paris, Vienna and Rome in four days, which nobody would try to do:p Are we trying to fit too much into 5 days, or is this an excellent way to get an overview of Alaska as first-timers?

The level of organized activity per day, as described, is fine for us. We don't feel driven to be on the go from dawn to dusk. And we have no desire to rent a car and explore on our own, this time at least.

Thoughts, Budget Queen and others, will be much appreciated.

Thanks again, Budget Queen, for your comments.

Based on a couple of them, should we be worried about our choice of pre-cruise tour? Anyone been on it or similar tour with other cruise line, or planning to?

Day 3 we take train 3 1/2 hours to Denali, in time for the 5 hr Denali Natural History tour in the afternoon. (Gets dark too early for the Tundra tour, they said).

Day 4 morning open till we leave Denali at noon by rail, arriving about 4 pm at Talkeetna Lodge, (and hope the skies are clear;)).

Day 5 we motor coach for 2 1/2 hrs to Anchorage Marriott and take a city/Native Heritage tour for 3 hrs in the afternoon.

In view of distances it seems like visiting London, Paris, Vienna and Rome in four days, which nobody would try to do:p Are we trying to fit too much into 5 days, or is this an excellent way to get an overview of Alaska as first-timers?

The level of organized activity per day, as described, is fine for us. We don't feel driven to be on the go from dawn to dusk. And we have no desire to rent a car and explore on our own, this time at least.

Frankly- this is a very lacking tour you have chosen. The only reason, I go to Denali Park is to get INTO it. You are not. This means, you'll miss all the scenery you see in those photos, miss significant wildlife viewing opportunities. Plus, the "tour" NHT you purchased- is available for a similar distance, Savage River shuttle- free, with ranger activities possible.

Who is "they" (I can just about guess- the cruiseline?) who gave you the "too dark" answer? Sorry, wrong. there is a 1:30pm Tundra Wilderness tour, that depending on YOU, you could make. You will have no refund for the NHT as they do not offer refunds through this cruiseline. If you want a cheaper and further option, the Eielson shuttle bus is highly recommended. Problem that would need to addressed in advance, a transfer back to the lodge.

I "only" recommend people get into Fairbanks at least a day early. You are seeing very little with the current plan.

Do not count on any McKinley viewing with only part of a day. If you want to see it, then book a flightseeing tour.

The inclusion in Anchorage is a very nice museum.

I ALWAYS recommend people dump the cruisetour embarkment day going to Seward. Seward is a gem with numerous activities, you will not have the opportunity to do. The bus transfers- leave Anchorage too early and arrive Seward too late for much of anything in either area.

A high priority for Alaska visitors is just about always- wildlife. A Kenai Fjords boat tour, out of Seward, which leaves at 11:30 am, is a superb opportunity for loads of varied wildlife. There may be an independent bus transfer option available, but taking the Alaska RR, booked independently is a tour within itself. :)

I advocate for making the most out of an Alaska visit, don't waste time and plan according to your interests.

You may want to rethink what you have purchased- you also have time to significantly improve it if you wish (overall, very few people do). Some facts to consider perhaps.

I realize you said you don't want to rent a car, but for those who are willing to, I thought I would show how much more flexibility you have if you do. Disclaimer: I am a lifelong Alaskan resident with no ties to the tourism industry, except a friend who owns/runs a fishing charter/lodge on the Kenai Peninsula, which I do not promote on CC.

Nice place to stay, right by Creamer's Field. If you have an interest in birding, the timing may be right for many migratory birds there. They have trails from the resort into the fields.

With a car rental, you have time to visit much more of Fairbanks and the surrounding area. The visitor center downtown Fairbanks is interesting even to locals, and worth your time.

Even if you take your time, it won't take 3 1/2 hours to drive to Denali. You want to get as far into the park as possible on this day, especially as seeing bears is a priority. The NHT won't get you to bear country, or the gorgeous scenery (you might see a bear, but the odds are against you in the area you will traverse).

With your own transportation, you could choose to enter Denali again, and either stay at Denali a second night, or drive to Talkeetna in the late afternoon. Using the train on this day leaves you either on the train or waiting around for transportation during the best hours of the day.

On this day, with a rental car, you either have a relatively short drive from Talkeetna to Anchorage...make the most of it with stops along the way, particularly in the Willow to Palmer area...there's much to do here. Or you have a longer drive from Denali, but still have time to "stop and smell the roses." Turn in the rental car in Anchorage.

Take the train to Seward and have hours to enjoy some of what Seward has to offer.

The only reason it seems (IMHO) to be too much is because you are on a tour where many hours will be spent on slow transportation and waiting for that transportation.

Frankly- this is a very lacking tour you have chosen. The only reason, I go to Denali Park is to get INTO it.Very good point You are not. This means, you'll miss all the scenery you see in those photos, miss significant wildlife viewing opportunities. Plus, the "tour" NHT you purchased- is available for a similar distance, Savage River shuttle- free, with ranger activities possible.

Who is "they" (I can just about guess- the cruiseline?) who gave you the "too dark" answer? You are right: Sunrise is about 7:00, sunset 21:00. Sorry, wrong. there is a 1:30pm Tundra Wilderness tour, I wouldn't be too keen on the 9:00 pm return, being more of a morning person:o that depending on YOU, you could make. You will have no refund for the NHT as they do not offer refunds through this cruiseline. If you want a cheaper and further option, the Eielson shuttle bus is highly recommended. Problem that would need to addressed in advance, a transfer back to the lodge.

I "only" recommend people get into Fairbanks at least a day early. What do you mean? You are seeing very little with the current plan.

Do not count on any McKinley viewing with only part of a day. If you want to see it, then book a flightseeing tour. Maybe leave it out.

The inclusion in Anchorage is a very nice museum.How much does it matter if we miss out Anchorage this time?

I ALWAYS recommend people dump the cruisetour embarkment day going to Seward. Seward is a gem with numerous activities, you will not have the opportunity to do. The bus transfers- leave Anchorage too early and arrive Seward too late for much of anything in either area.

A high priority for Alaska visitors is just about always- wildlife. A Kenai Fjords boat tour, out of Seward, which leaves at 11:30 am, is a superb opportunity for loads of varied wildlife. There may be an independent bus transfer option available, but taking the Alaska RR, booked independently is a tour within itself. :)

I advocate for making the most out of an Alaska visit, don't waste time and plan according to your interests.

You may want to rethink what you have purchased- you also have time to significantly improve it if you wish How I don't know without scrapping it (overall, very few people do). Some facts to consider perhaps.

Thanks for your recommendations, yet again, Budget Queen.

I am looking into deleting the precruise tour and starting afresh.

My tour outline now might be to spend the first night in Fairbanks, then get to a Denali hotel by the second night, take the Tundra tour and spend the third night at Denali hotel. On the next day, get to Seward and spend two nights there before boarding the ship. This would allow time for a Kenai Fjords tour.

It looks like we could do the revised itinerary using a combo of train and bus connectionswithout wasting too much time in transit . We would be more focussed, even if we sacrifice Talkeetna and Anchorage.

I realize you said you don't want to rent a car, but for those who are willing to, I thought I would show how much more flexibility you have if you do.

Originally Posted by ragbag1 viewpost.gif

Nice place to stay, right by Creamer's Field. If you have an interest in birding, the timing may be right for many migratory birds there. They have trails from the resort into the fields. YES,WE WOULD LIKE THAT.

With a car rental, you have time to visit much more of Fairbanks and the surrounding area. The visitor center downtown Fairbanks is interesting even to locals, and worth your time.

Even if you take your time, it won't take 3 1/2 hours to drive to Denali. You want to get as far into the park as possible on this day, especially as seeing bears is a priority. EXACTLY. SEE OUR REPLY TO BUDGET QUEEN The NHT won't get you to bear country, or the gorgeous scenery (you might see a bear, but the odds are against you in the area you will traverse).

With your own transportation, you could choose to enter Denali again, and either stay at Denali a second night, or drive to Talkeetna in the late afternoon. Using the train on this day leaves you either on the train or waiting around for transportation during the best hours of the day. THINKING OF LEAVING TALKEENA OUT AS MOUNTAIN SIGHTING UNCERTAIN

On this day, with a rental car, you either have a relatively short drive from Talkeetna to Anchorage...make the most of it with stops along the way, particularly in the Willow to Palmer area...there's much to do here. Or you have a longer drive from Denali, but still have time to "stop and smell the roses." Turn in the rental car in Anchorage. WE MAY SACRIFICE THAT PART AND GO STRAIGHT TO SEWARD.

Take the train to Seward and have hours to enjoy some of what Seward has to offer.

The only reason it seems (IMHO) to be too much is because you are on a tour where many hours will be spent on slow transportation and waiting for that transportation.

WE ARE THINKING OF REDUCING THE AMOUNT OF TRAVEL/HANGING ABOUT TIME,AS YOU SEE.

Thanks for all your input, very useful indeed.

Thanks for your recommendations, yet again, Budget Queen.

I am looking into deleting the precruise tour and starting afresh.

My tour outline now might be to spend the first night in Fairbanks, then get to a Denali hotel by the second night, take the Tundra tour and spend the third night at Denali hotel. On the next day, get to Seward and spend two nights there before boarding the ship. This would allow time for a Kenai Fjords tour.

It looks like we could do the revised itinerary using a combo of train and bus connectionswithout wasting too much time in transit . We would be more focussed, even if we sacrifice Talkeetna and Anchorage.

If you are scraping this- then slow down and find out more details on what will work best for you. Take a look at alternative, transport options. I suggest you may want to take advantage of purchasing a coupon book, which would offer 2 for 1 train costs. Two nights at Denali is recommended, you don't have the time for 3 in my opinion. I also suggest you consider, the 1/3- farther option into Denali Park via the Eielson SHUTTLE bus. http://www.nps.gov/dena detailed descriptions and map. Booking a mid time shuttle could be ideal, like a 9am bus boarding. NECESSARY= verify a lodge shuttle schedule.

This may give you a day for Anchorage touring. With 1 night in Seward- you have 1 1/2 days of touring, which fits in a lot of options.

I don't recommend a day transit Denali/Seward. This would have to be by bus/van and would involve 9 (maybe more) hours.

If you are scraping this- then slow down and find out more details on what will work best for you. Take a look at alternative, transport options. I suggest you may want to take advantage of purchasing a coupon book, which would offer 2 for 1 train costs. Two nights at Denali is recommended, you don't have the time for 3 in my opinion. I also suggest you consider, the 1/3- farther option into Denali Park via the Eielson SHUTTLE bus. www.nps.gov/dena detailed descriptions and map. Booking a mid time shuttle could be ideal, like a 9am bus boarding. NECESSARY= verify a lodge shuttle schedule.

This may give you a day for Anchorage touring. With 1 night in Seward- you have 1 1/2 days of touring, which fits in a lot of options.

I don't recommend a day transit Denali/Seward. This would have to be by bus/van and would involve 9 (maybe more) hours.

Budget Queen, you are absolutely right. We will now stop and think. Our guide book and map will arrive from Amazon this week so we can really see where we are going on the ground.

We will most likely buy a coupon book. Is one better than another?

We like the sound of the Eilson shuttle to further into Denali. What do you mean by "verify a lodge shuttle schedule"?

I was confusing you. The idea is two nights in Denali not three, then on to Seward on Day 4. We would have two nights there before embarkation. Maybe fitting in Anchorage would be overdoing it?

Budget Queen, you are absolutely right. We will now stop and think. Our guide book and map will arrive from Amazon this week so we can really see where we are going on the ground.

We will most likely buy a coupon book. Is one better than another?

We like the sound of the Eilson shuttle to further into Denali. What do you mean by "verify a lodge shuttle schedule"?

I was confusing you. The idea is two nights in Denali not three, then on to Seward on Day 4. We would have two nights there before embarkation. Maybe fitting in Anchorage would be overdoing it?

If you continue with you using the Alaska RR. You will HAVE to have transportation to the Denali Access Center, where you board the shuttle buses and get your tickets and Visitor Center (if of interest). MANY lodgings do NOT provide any transportation. There "may" be one taxi, but over the many years I've gone here, they come and go without notice.

This is especially important, so you schedule your Eielson shuttle bus, within the transfer hours.

You have to determine what coupon book is "better". Figure out WHAT offers you are taking advantage of, verify coupon acceptance and make reservations- when your ENTIRE plan is made.

Again- make sure you want a marathon transit Denali/Seward, having plans decided that will occupy 2 full days of time. The alternative I mention, would break it up and allow, the Alaska RR Anchorage/Seward- superior scenery compared to the Seward Highway, along with the ability to a Kenai Fjords boat tour that day- or any other tour of choice.

Archived