Surge Protector Taken!!!!OOOPS!

Yep we saw flat irons...CHI ones at that. My sis had hers tho and no one said anything...so not sure if because these were in checked luggage. Have no idea. Now up in the salon when we were doing spa tour once again to enter the drawing, we asked about this, the hair dresser says they have them and not sure why they would be taken...however she said...on one ship she had been on a guest left one on and there was an issue in the cabin as she put it. They burn counters if left on or the vanity. New styles don't seem to be as much problematic as old ones. They aren't forbidden but we saw them the first week when we were going in town and thought wow...three tables of steam ironers and portable steamers too. one table of misc wierd items and on there were flat irons.

OK - back to flat irons. I seriously hope this is not the case... or my hair will look like this for a week. :confused:

OK - back to flat irons. I seriously hope this is not the case... or my hair will look like this for a week. :confused:

Ditto, there is no way they are taking my Chi. I can't see why this would be any different than a curling iron!

I use a C-PAP machine. I have taken it on 20 cruises and many international land trips. I have a 12 foot extension cord, which I keep in the case. I carry it on to the ship. I ask, ahead of time, for distilled water. RCCL always gives me the water, which I appreciate, and a 4 foot long extension cord, which I do not ask for, and does no good the way the cabins are arranged. I just tell the attendant that I do not need it. We also take chargers for our phone and camera, as well as a hair dryer. We have never needed extra outlets.

Had a friend "fry" her hair on board with a curling iorn. (navigator 7 yrs ago)

She used it all week, and the last night, went to curl her hair, and it stuck to her hair and fried it - she screamed, and her girlfriend, and the room attendant came running - she burned her bangs (looked crisp and shorter) and had a burn on her forhead - seems the cruise ship had a voltage surge, and the iron did not have a protector for that - if it had been plugged in to to a voltage protector, she would not have had a problem. Not sure if the newer ships have built in protection so that does not happen any more or not?? But, I never bother with my iorn any more - better to have straight hair than a burn!

I always bring one of these (got it from Amazon)

big_BZ103050TVL.jpg&canvas=1&quality=100&width=285&height=200&ck=250

The problem with this is that with some cruise ships, it is literally impossible to plug them in because the wall has to be flat to the outlet.

And because of this issue I always bring these as well:

hyv-4526_med2a.jpg

Which I got from Target. They're 6 inches long and have a dim light at the end which also makes them handy as a night light in inside cabins! :)

I put both of these in my carry-on and have never had a trouble bringing them onboard.

Ditto! I can't see that they would allow a curling iron but not a flat iron. Plus mine turn off by themselves after a short time. I'd really like to get a confirmation about this.

ditto, ditto! no flat iron is problematic. going to be some baddd hair days for me!

If ship personnel confiscate your surge protector and then a power surge fries an expensive piece of equipment, do they take responsibility for replacing it, or do they just say tough luck?

Tough luck would be one of the kinder things that they would say.

So now if one chooses to cruise with electronics, regardless to whether they are expensive or inexpensive, RCI won't allow the customer to protect their electronics against a surge, but won't do anything if their electronics are damaged in the event of a surge? Wow...............

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

One person says they don't allow surge protectors. Several others, including myself, say that they do. My surge protector looks like this ...

31pPlhZqgLL.jpg

And I had it with me, in the cabin, on the Navigator of the Seas, March 2 -> 9, 2013.

I get the problem with Hair curling iron , but what about a hair dryer? Are you allowed to bring on your own hair dyer (with diffuser)?

The ships have hair dryers. Some think they are too week and bring their own.

It is my understanding that if the unit and the cord are in good shape, the cruise line is fine with it. If it looks like this ...

attachment.php?id=30202

they are not going to let it on.

And because of this issue I always bring these as well:

hyv-4526_med2a.jpg

Which I got from Target. They're 6 inches long and have a dim light at the end which also makes them handy as a night light in inside cabins! ...

Good idea, thanks for the tip.

We took two of these last week on the navigator and no problem. Hubby put them in the camera bag that he carried on. (Lowepro camera bag for DSLR camera). No one batted an eye or questioned anything.

Camera bag. That sounds like a good idea. It might appear at a glance, more like a battery charger device than a surge protector. Perhaps a small strip of gaffer tape over the plugs. Better that than a trip to the naughty room.

Sorry, I do understand the RCL reasoning, but working in business, I am rather tired of the knee-jerk reactions all the time. Look for the "squids" and the 6 plug power strips instead.

Gee, I feel bad now. I've been hyping up the Belkin surge USB thing on these threads as the best thing since sliced bread!

~Bob~

Check Amazon too.

I got three in the two weeks from ebay stores; $15 each http://www.ebay.com/itm/Belkin-Mini-Surge-Protector-Dual-USB-Charger-Free-Shipping-New-/111029797080?pt=US_Surge_Protectors_Power_Strips&hash=item19d9e440d8 Granted they must be popular because after I ordered the first one, I went back to get two more for friends, the price had gone up. Then when I changed vendors, they were out of stock. Had to go with a third vendor and pay for overnight shipping. That link above was great! Received it less than 24 hours. But it was an additional $8 shipping.

~Bob~

Camera bag. That sounds like a good idea. It might appear at a glance, more like a battery charger device than a surge protector. Perhaps a small strip of gaffer tape over the plugs. Better that than a trip to the naughty room.

Sorry, I do understand the RCL reasoning, but working in business, I am rather tired of the knee-jerk reactions all the time. Look for the "squids" and the 6 plug power strips instead.

Gee, I feel bad now. I've been hyping up the Belkin surge USB thing on these threads as the best thing since sliced bread!

~Bob~

Once again, only one person on this thread says Royal Caribbean would not allow a surge protector while everyone else, including me, claim there is no problem.

Once again, only one person on this thread says Royal Caribbean would not allow a surge protector while everyone else, including me, claim there is no problem.

I thank the OP for posting that they did have theirs taken. Is it the norm, maybe not, but at least anyone bringing a surge protector now knows that it is a possibility, slim yes, but still a possibility. If they really really need it, they may want to prepare for the just in case.

Just because you and most others have gotten them on board doesn't mean everyone will.

I thank the OP for posting that they did have theirs taken. Is it the norm, maybe not, but at least anyone bringing a surge protector now knows that it is a possibility, slim yes, but still a possibility. If they really really need it, they may want to prepare for the just in case.

Just because you and most others have gotten them on board doesn't mean everyone will.

Royal Caribbean does not have a rule against surge protectors. However, Royal Caribbean does have a rule against electrical equipment that is not in good shape. It is far more likely that the surge protector was take because it was not in good shape than because it was a surge protector.

Just because someone says something does not mean it is a fact. That includes Royal Caribbean and this now infamous pictures of not the Navigator of the Seas ...

NavOTS_zpse7f23c45.jpg

I think the Belkin product should be fine - without a big long cord attached, chances are they won't be seen as problematic. All it is, really, is a USB charging device -- not any different than bringing a phone charger, IMO. They'll have to pry mine out of my cold, dead hands! LOL

I think the Belkin product should be fine - without a big long cord attached, chances are they won't be seen as problematic. All it is, really, is a USB charging device -- not any different than bringing a phone charger, IMO. They'll have to pry mine out of my cold, dead hands! LOL

I hope that Belkin one is ok, mine just arrived courtesy of UPS today! :rolleyes:

Archived