Surge Protector Taken!!!!OOOPS!

but the OP is the only one who JUST got off a ship.

I just got off Navigator on Saturday, and I had 2 in my camera bag (carry-on) that made it through security just fine and didn't hear a word of complaint from my room steward when we left them plugged in.

Royal Caribbean does not have a rule against surge protectors. However, Royal Caribbean does have a rule against electrical equipment that is not in good shape. It is far more likely that the surge protector was take because it was not in good shape than because it was a surge protector.

Just because someone says something does not mean it is a fact. That includes Royal Caribbean and this now infamous pictures of not the Navigator of the Seas ...

NavOTS_zpse7f23c45.jpg

Our surge protector was still in the brand new packaging. I guess it is up to the individual ships to make their own decisions.

:)I wish everyone a great day at sea. Have safe and fun travels.

Angela

One person says they don't allow surge protectors. Several others, including myself, say that they do .............

It just depends on which "they" you happen to encounter on duty inspecting your luggage that day. :D

The OP is not the only person who has had one confiscated. The subject has been discussed on these boards before, for example at

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=35959536&postcount=27

To offset this problem, I buy a new surge protector and leave it in the package. That way they know that it is less likely to cause trouble. We had no problem on CCL last year doing it like this, so I hope that RCI doesn't take ours next week! And the flat iron...they'll take that over my dead body! :p

To offset this problem, I buy a new surge protector and leave it in the package. That way they know that it is less likely to cause trouble. We had no problem on CCL last year doing it like this, so I hope that RCI doesn't take ours next week! And the flat iron...they'll take that over my dead body! :p

there's going to be LOT of dead bodies i think! i'm pretty sure i'd rather give up makeup, deodorant, and toothpaste.

I just got off Navigator on Saturday, and I had 2 in my camera bag (carry-on) that made it through security just fine and didn't hear a word of complaint from my room steward when we left them plugged in.

i think we need more clarification from the OP as to what exactly she had confiscated. i'm picturing a 6-plug long surge protector. i have one of the small belkin ones and i don't think those are the issue.

I also "just got off the ship". I was on the Navigator of the Seas from March 2 to March 9, 2013.

quite possible that a lot of policy changes have been made since even that time. i'm sure there were big meetings all over the industry after the carnival mishaps.

Our surge protector had 4 spots to plug in devices. We weren't upset at all that it was taken...no bubbles no troubles. Royal said NO and we said OK...it wasn't go to affect our trip and it didn't . Like I stated earlier we played musical outlets. There were only two on the desk that we could reach easily without moving furniture.:D

Angela

It just depends on which "they" you happen to encounter on duty inspecting your luggage that day. :D

The OP is not the only person who has had one confiscated. The subject has been discussed on these boards before, for example at

The following is from Royal Caribbean's website ...

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/whatToKnow/whatToPack.do

What Not To Pack

Weapons, illegal drugs, and other items that could interfere with the safe operation of the ship or the safe and secure environment of our guests and crew are prohibited. The United States Transportation Security Administration also recommends that you do not pack fragile or expensive items (such as jewelry) in checked luggage.

The following are examples of items that guests are not allowed to bring onboard. These and other similar items will be confiscated upon being found. Alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, flammable liquids, explosives, and dangerous chemicals will not be returned.

• Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas.
  • *Sharp Objects, including knives and scissors.
  • Illegal Drugs & Substances
  • Candles & Incense
  • Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, & Hot Plates
  • Baseball Bats, Hockey Sticks, Cricket Bats, Bows & Arrows
  • Skateboards & Surfboards
  • Martial Arts Gear
  • Self-Defense Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray, night sticks.
  • Flammable Liquids and Explosives, including lighter fluid and fireworks.
  • HAM Radios
  • Dangerous Chemicals, including bleach and paint.
  • **Alcoholic and Non-Alcoholic Beverages

Note:

*Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed. Scissors with blade length less than 4 inches are allowed.

** Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports-of-call or from shops onboard will be stored by the ship and delivered to you on the last day of the sailing. Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned.

Surge protectors, power strips and extension cords are not on the list. I bring a surge protector and an extension cord all the time.

And did you get it back at the end of the cruise?

The Triumph lost power because a fire damaged an important electrical box. The fire was caused by a leak in the oil return line. It had nothing to do with surge protectors or power strips.

The Dream has a malfunctioning back up generator. Again, that had nothing to do with surge protectors or power strips.

The Elation was operating with one azipod that would not turn. That issue was not caused by surge protectors or power strips.

Why would any of these issues cause the cruise lines to review their policy toward surge protectors or power strips?

The following is from Royal Caribbean's website ...

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/whatToKnow/whatToPack.do

What Not To Pack

Weapons, illegal drugs, and other items that could interfere with the safe operation of the ship or the safe and secure environment of our guests and crew are prohibited. The United States Transportation Security Administration also recommends that you do not pack fragile or expensive items (such as jewelry) in checked luggage.

The following are examples of items that guests are not allowed to bring onboard. These and other similar items will be confiscated upon being found. Alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, flammable liquids, explosives, and dangerous chemicals will not be returned.

• Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas.
  • *Sharp Objects, including knives and scissors.
  • Illegal Drugs & Substances
  • Candles & Incense
  • Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, & Hot Plates
  • Baseball Bats, Hockey Sticks, Cricket Bats, Bows & Arrows
  • Skateboards & Surfboards
  • Martial Arts Gear
  • Self-Defense Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray, night sticks.
  • Flammable Liquids and Explosives, including lighter fluid and fireworks.
  • HAM Radios
  • Dangerous Chemicals, including bleach and paint.
  • **Alcoholic and Non-Alcoholic Beverages

Note:

*Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed. Scissors with blade length less than 4 inches are allowed.

** Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports-of-call or from shops onboard will be stored by the ship and delivered to you on the last day of the sailing. Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned.

Surge protectors, power strips and extension cords are not on the list. I bring a surge protector and an extension cord all the time.

The "HAM" (sic) radio exclusion is ridiculous, since they allow other types of radios (such as FRS), which are unlicensed, and therefore MORE likely to be a hazard.

As for surge protectors, I will never, EVER plug my laptop in without a surge protector. Not at home , not on the road, and certainly not on a ship which has its own generators and therefore is more likely to have a surge. If they take it away (they haven't so far) they had better have a replacement. And, by the way, a surge protector is a ZERO fire hazard.

In both this thread and in the thread you are linking to in your post, the surge protector and/or the power strip was in the checked luggage. In my case, and in other cases that have mentioned the location of the surge protector or power strip getting through, they were in the person's carry-on.

Now I don't know why that would make a difference, however, it appears that there may be a different standard between what is allowed in a carry-on and what is allowed in the checked luggage.

That said, in the previous post (it may end up being the one just before this one) there is NOTHING in Royal Caribbean's list of prohibited items that would indicate any concern with a well maintained surge protector or reasonable power strip (obviously something capable of accepting twenty plugs might be a concern).

quite possible that a lot of policy changes have been made since even that time. i'm sure there were big meetings all over the industry after the carnival mishaps.

Speaking of the Carnival Triumph, apparently not ALL electrical outlets went dead. One person noticed that an ATM machine was still working, unplugged it, and plugged in a power strip. This is what followed ...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT4qP0c9NMWrxwdLrF7EzyxQNT96VeiaOxjBn_VnWVwnwypXt8n130214165851-03-cruise-passengers-0214-horizontal-gallery.jpg

Other pictures from the Carnival Triumph ...

DisabledCruiseShip1_Stil_I130215210620.jpg

110.jpg

Now if a ship with a known electrical problem can handle this level of recharging, I doubt that a family of four (including two teenagers) is going to cause much of an issue with their four iPads, four iPhones and four iCameras all charging at once.

OK - back to flat irons. I seriously hope this is not the case... or my hair will look like this for a week. :confused:

LMAO!!! Not at you but with you. My hair will look like that as well.

Between the wrinkled clothes and my hair, I'm gonna be a hot mess on this cruise. :eek:

I just got back from the Oasis last Saturday. I took a full 8 socket powerbar with heavy duty extension cord in my checked luggage. It made it through fine and was in my suitcase when it arrived at my cabin. I had read about how there was only one socket in the cabins on the Oasis, so I brought the powerbar. To my surprise, they have added a three socket adapter to the outlet on the desk. I never used my powerbar at all since the adapter they added was good enough for all my chargers.

I know this is off-topic, but I don't know what you are referring to here... what is infamous about that picture? Is it of a different ship and they slapped the Nav name on it?

P.S. Could that picture above be edited? It is wayyyy too big and is messing up the width of the pages here now.

Just because someone says something does not mean it is a fact. That includes Royal Caribbean and this now infamous pictures of not the Navigator of the Seas ...

NavOTS_zpse7f23c45.jpg

The first Carnival mishap was over 2 years ago. One would think that they would have done something then. From what we read here, CCers are usually able to get extension cords, surge protectors and flatirons onboard, but every now and then one is confiscated. I'm going to take my chances.:)

I know this is off-topic, but I don't know what you are referring to here... what is infamous about that picture? Is it of a different ship and they slapped the Nav name on it?

Yes. Navigator and Mariner have open balconies, and the ones on that ship are cut from the hull, so would be Adventure, Explorer or Voyager, I believe..

That picture is in post number six on this thread ...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1810031

Read the comments in posts #22, #43, #56, #59, #64, #66 and #67.

Then take a look at this thread ...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1811524

Can the poster of that huge photo please edit their post? It's seriously made the thread very hard to read.

Well, one advantage of the large pictures is that it pushes the ads off my screen!:)

Archived