Surge Protector Taken!!!!OOOPS!

That picture is in post number six on this thread ...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1810031

Read the comments in posts #22, #43, #56, #59, #64, #66 and #67.

Then take a look at this thread ...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1811524

Oh my goodness, that was funny/interesting! :eek: Thanks for the links.

(note to self: take lots of my own pictures)

Can the poster of that huge photo please edit their post? It's seriously made the thread very hard to read.

It is too late for me to edit that post. I didn't know how big the picture was when I posted it because it was much smaller when I obtained the link to it. Besides, we are on the next page now, so it shouldn't cause any further problems.

It is too late for me to edit that post. I didn't know how big the picture was when I posted it because it was much smaller when I obtained the link to it. Besides, we are on the next page now, so it shouldn't cause any further problems.

I'm cool with the fact it can't be fixed now. I just wanted to mention that the page depends on the number of posts per page you have your options set to. Mine is 30, so while some people might be, for example, at the top of page 4 I'll still be in the middle of page 3.

I'm cool with the fact it can't be fixed now. I just wanted to mention that the page depends on the number of posts per page you have your options set to. Mine is 30, so while some people might be, for example, at the top of page 4 I'll still be in the middle of page 3.

That is okay, I'm in California, so I'm not going to hold it against you that you are in the middle of page three. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I realize most of the people here on CC like to ask other people question, rather than go to the source. But I figured I would go to the source. The following answer has me convinced that it is the number of outlets that has Royal Caribbean concerned. Here is the answer I received ...

In regards to your inquiry, surge protectors are not allowed onboard due to fire safety regulations onboard and to prevent any interference with the safe operation of the ship. The following are examples of items that are not allowed onboard. These and other similar items will be confiscated upon being found.

Prohibited items:

-Firearms and Ammunition (including realistic replicas)

-Sharp Objects, such as Knives and Scissors (personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed, scissors with blades less than 4 inches are permitted)

-Illegal Drugs and Substances

-Candles and Incense

-Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, Clothes Steamers and Hot Plates

-Baseball Bats, Hockey Sticks, Cricket Bats, and Bows and Arrows

-Skateboards and Surfboards

-Martial Arts Gear

-Self-Defense Gear (including handcuffs, pepper spray and night sticks)

-Flammable Liquids and Explosives (including lighter fluid and fireworks)

-HAM Radios

-Dangerous Chemicals (including bleach and paint)

-Electrical Transformers (not including personal electronics, such as cell phone chargers and laptop power adaptors, etc.)

-Personal Alcohol*

For security purposes, we also recommend not packing any valuables, such as jewelry, in your checked luggage.

*Guests may bring up to two bottles of wine per stateroom upon boarding. Checked luggage containing wine will be brought to the ship’s security office to be inspected, with the guest present. Only guests in staterooms with at least one guest aged 21 or older are permitted to bring wine onboard. Bottles may be no larger than 750 ml, and must retain the original manufacturer’s seal. A $25.00 corkage fee will apply to bottles of wine brought onboard by the guest and consumed in public venues including restaurants, bars, or the main dining room.

We were on Radiance and we both had to go to Naughty room, even our room attendant came with us - as I had packed extension cord, surge protector and multi point power board in luggage.

Our security note said that there was 2 x electrical, so they got us to open bag I quickly removed extension cord and surge protector out handed it them and quickly shut and zipped our cases - before they could really look, for a 3rd item.

But it did help they were distracted by the previous bag as there was a GUN showing up on the xray :eek::eek::eek:

Turned out to be a child's toy:D:D:

There were LOTS of power boards, surge protectors etc in the confiscated pile.

Once we got back to room I opened the case and handed the hidden power board to my hubby - he was very pleased.

We were tried to pick them up on the way off the ship, we asked and kept being told further on, but never found out were further on was.

But no worries, next time I'll just take on more power adaptors, but will also take 1 power board on my carry on as well... I'm told GOD loves a trier.

We have previous sailed RCL and it was not a problem. So just something to be aware of that you may lose it...bit like rum runners etc some get caught some don't.

V

We just sailed on AOS out of San Juan last week. I had one of those Belkin USB surge things and two 12" AC Extensions. The extensions were fine in the checked bags. However I felt it better to place the Belkin in my camera bag just to be safe. I also covered the plugs with scotch tape and then black duct tape over top. The scotch tape to keep the unit from getting sticky residue from the duct tape. Further, it is a good thing the belkin has a 360 degree plug since the outlets in the stateroom were in a tight corner.

Seemed to work very well. Unrelated, I did get called to the naughty room for my daughter's checked bag. Her perfume bottle was a little large and looked like alcohol in x-ray.

There were two basic sets of bags there. Those labled 'alcohol' and those labeled 'irons' Always carry on your wine. It's just easier. We purchased ours in the Walgreens across the street from the hotel. Dirt cheap!

~Bob~

It's good to know this info ahead of time. I'll be sure to bring "back up" in my carry on stuff as well!

i-ztR2vfT-M.jpg

Are their typically more outlets in suites?? We'll be in a OS on the Oasis next month. Between two cameras, two cell phones, a Kindle, two laptops, a flat iron, a fan (you get the idea) - having at least a couple of places to plug things in would be handy.

BTW - I admit that I read the first page, then skipped to the last! :)

Tom

It's good to know this info ahead of time. I'll be sure to bring "back up" in my carry on stuff as well!

i-ztR2vfT-M.jpg

Are their typically more outlets in suites?? We'll be in a OS on the Oasis next month. Between two cameras, two cell phones, a Kindle, two laptops, a flat iron, a fan (you get the idea) - having at least a couple of places to plug things in would be handy.

BTW - I admit that I read the first page, then skipped to the last! :)

Tom

... are THERE typically more.... :o

Tom

It's not that there is anything wrong with surge protectors, extension cords, and appliances.....it is that with so many passengers, if they let everyone bring them on board, then the chances increase that at least one of them would be defective, short out and start a fire.....

How can anyone know which one will be defective???

I was in the US Navy, and I will tell you the biggest fear being on a ship is FIRE...EVERYONE must learn to be a fire-fighter.....

Little trivial question, but has anyone seen an open flame on a cruise ship???

Candles? Torches? Gas / wood grills? (other than passengers cig lighters)

And yes, we always stay in a GS and never needed extension cords....plenty of outlets....

... are THERE typically more.... :o

Tom

No matter what, I think the Belkin thing and at least one of the 6" or 12" extension cords would do ya. Many times the plugs on battery chargers take up more than one space. Just to be safe though, charge your devices at night and hide everything during the day so the cabin steward does not see them.

~Bob~

Yes. Often, as a birthday cake, someone will get a cupcake with one real lit candle on it.

No matter what, I think the Belkin thing and at least one of the 6" or 12" extension cords would do ya. Many times the plugs on battery chargers take up more than one space. Just to be safe though, charge your devices at night and hide everything during the day so the cabin steward does not see them.

~Bob~

I leave mine out during the day and have never had any trouble.

Yes. Often, as a birthday cake, someone will get a cupcake with one real lit candle on it.

It's either in Murano (on Celebrity) or one of NCL's specialty restaurants, but one of them has candles at the tables. I was as surprised as the next guy! Most of the others have fake (battery operated/flickering) candles.

Tom

And yes, we always stay in a GS and never needed extension cords....plenty of outlets....

Thanks

... Just to be safe though, charge your devices at night and hide everything during the day so the cabin steward does not see them.

~Bob~

We've always left ours out. If they make it past the luggage screener gauntlet, all seems to be OK -- of course that tip to the cabin steward upon our introduction probably has not hurt either! ;)

Tom

Thanks

We've always left ours out. If they make it past the luggage screener gauntlet, all seems to be OK -- of course that tip to the cabin steward upon our introduction probably has not hurt either! ;)

Tom

Roger that. I did the same thing eventhough our tips were included in My-Time Dining. Helped us get towel animals and ice twice a day LOL :D

~Bob~

Getting these items through seems to be very hit or miss. We brought a 6 plug surge protector/ power strip and a 6 foot extension cord on our Brilliance cruise March 16-23. They were in our checked luggage and made it through. We left both of them out but unplugged during the day. At night they were used for our clock/ ipod docking station to play white noise, and to charge our camera/ cell phones/ and kindle as needed. Yes, 6 plugs is more than we needed at any given time, but it's the one I could find when I was packing.

Thanks

Tom

Roger that. I did the same thing eventhough our tips were included in My-Time Dining. Helped us get towel animals and ice twice a day LOL :D

~Bob~

I don't tip until the end of the week and I also have left my extension cord out during the day and have my ice filled twice a day with no problems.

By the way, the correct term for a tip prior to the service being rendered is "bribe".

Yikes - just the other day on one of those "don't forget to take" threads, a cool surge suppresser/multi plug/USB was listed and I planned to take mine. Wonder if I should put it in my carry on???

We brought this one on Freedom last month and it wasn't taken:

51alkx%2BzKwL.jpg

It's not that there is anything wrong with surge protectors, extension cords, and appliances.....it is that with so many passengers, if they let everyone bring them on board, then the chances increase that at least one of them would be defective, short out and start a fire.....

How can anyone know which one will be defective???

I was in the US Navy, and I will tell you the biggest fear being on a ship is FIRE...EVERYONE must learn to be a fire-fighter.....

You could say that about hairdryers, flatirons, shavers and pretty much any electrical device. I find it interesting that passengers aren't allowed to bring coffeemakers or kettles onboard but they are supplied in JS and higher cabins (plus all cabins on some European sailings). I figure they don't want to check each device to make sure it has an automatic shutoff.

And Azamara also uses real flame candles in their specialty restaurants, so I've seen them as well. I don't imagine they would be lit in 30 foot seas, but I don't imagine they'd get much business then, either, since both restaurants are up high and forward.

We don't tip up front and have never had anybody take our Belkin charger/surge protector (same as illustrated above).

We don't tip up front and have never had anybody take our Belkin charger/surge protector (same as illustrated above).

Not saying it's a cause/effect relationship - but we tip anyway (not as a bribe).

Tom

Hmm, I feel kind of dirty now http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bribe :o But I am sure I will get over it :)

~Bob~

The definition of bribery provided by Wikipedia is too broad. Using the definition provided, telling your neighbor's son that you will give him $20 to mow the lawn would:

1) Be a bribe.

2) Be a crime.

It is in fact neither.

Telling your child at the beginning of the school year that you'll give him/her $20 for each "A" on his/her report card is a bribe, but it is not a crime. Telling your child that you will give him/her $20 for each "A" on the report card on the last day of school is not a bribe (nor is it a tip - it is a reward).

Tipping someone after a service is rendered is a tip for the service rendered. Tipping someone before the service is rendered is an attempt to show that you are a big tipper and that if the person provides you with "special" service you'll reward the person with a big tip. This is an attempt to influence that person's behavior and thus it is a bribe. However, it is not a crime.

Paying your taxes so that a public official can be paid for doing his/her job is perfectly legal and not a bribe. Paying your taxes directly to that same public official is both a bribe and a crime.

I almost laughed out loud when I was having my car serviced one day. I saw someone slip the service consultant some money. For what? The service consultant doesn't actually do the repairs. The cost for the work is all computerized, so no discounts can be given (beyond that which is available to everyone). What does that person expect to receive in return for this bribe?

The car I had being serviced lasted 247,000 miles with the original engine and transmission. The work was always done on time. Even if I didn't have the coupon for that particular service, the service consultant would give me the coupon price. And I never "tipped" anyone at that service center.

I've seen people brag about at the great service they have received from the room steward after slipping them a $20 on the first day. I've received same same great service and I don't attempt to bribe anyone.

Archived