Surge Protector Taken!!!!OOOPS!

No More Surge protectors.....we just arrived home from a wonderful trip on the adventure....Our surge protector and extension devices were taken. With only two outlets in a cabin it's hard to plug in the I-pod, camera chargers, electric razor and god only know what else. We have never had these items taken in the past.

I don't fault royals decision for taking these items from us. Our safety at sea is very important.

We couldn't believe how many people tried to bring irons on board as well.

Angela

OP, I commend you on your awesome attitude. This could very easily have been yet another complaint thread. Hope you had a good rest of the cruise. :)

:D It doesn't make sense to get you panties in a bung over something so silly. We were on vacation enjoying everyday! People that complain while on vacation...shouldn't GO!]

Angela

Were they returned at the end of the cruise?

:)We were given a slip of paper with the description of the item and our cabin number. Our items were given backon Sunday! After we exited customs, a Royal representative was standing at a table with all items taken.

Yikes - just the other day on one of those "don't forget to take" threads, a cool surge suppresser/multi plug/USB was listed and I planned to take mine. Wonder if I should put it in my carry on???
We'd just bought one of those! Just wondering, did they make you go to the naughty room? I'd hate to visit the naughty room, if leaving the item at home would avoid it.

Is this a reaction to the bad string of power failures on Carnival?

Ours was a surge protector. Our friends brought an exstention cord for a breathing machine. Royal also took their cord and issued a Royal Caribbean cord to make sure it was safe.

Angela

I can understand why they did it. Thankfully, they have their own safety cords people can use. With all the hype about cruise ships these day, I'm not surprised.

Good for them for looking at the safety of all passengers. I could not imagine being on a ship if a fire broke out.

With the exception of the cameras, none of our electronics get used much during a cruise. With a little bit of planning, we've never needed extra outlets. Nothing takes long to charge, nothing needs charged every day. We charge one thing while at dinner, one overnight, etc. and have never had a problem. We always take an extra camera battery and usually don't need to recharge more than once even on a very long cruise.

Someone with a medical device that needed to be constantly plugged in might need extra outlets or extension cords, but the cruise line should then be willing to provide an acceptable way to handle the power needs.

We'd just bought one of those! Just wondering, did they make you go to the naughty room? I'd hate to visit the naughty room, if leaving the item at home would avoid it.

Is this a reaction to the bad string of power failures on Carnival?

We haven't gone on our cruise yet - I really don't want to go to the naughty room, so maybe I'll just leave mine at home and ask guest services if they have an approved something they can give me.

You may be right about the Carnival connection - :eek:

No More Surge protectors.....we just arrived home from a wonderful trip on the adventure....Our surge protector and extension devices were taken. With only two outlets in a cabin it's hard to plug in the I-pod, camera chargers, electric razor and god only know what else. We have never had these items taken in the past.

I don't fault royals decision for taking these items from us. Our safety at sea is very important.

We couldn't believe how many people tried to bring irons on board as well.

Angela

On our previous RCI cruises we have never had a problem with the number of power outlets. OK- there are only 2 US style outlets in each cabin, but we take European adapters to use in the other outlets as well as US adapters. None of the outlets take UK plugs! Can you get European adapters in the US?- would take up less room and weight in the luggage!:)

Note that most electronic devices [camera rechargers, laptop computes, etc] change EITHER 234volts or 117volts into the appropriate low voltage [generally 12v or less] DC. If you have a US plug device, take a US to European pin adapter, plug your device into the adapter into the European socket. NO need for a transformer. The adapters are very small, and with no cord involved I don't think the ship would consider this a safety hazard. You now have an additional socket.:)

Thom

Okay, Medicalley posted while I was hunt & pecking. Yes, you can get European adapters in the US, generally in "Travel stuff" stores. Often you can only buy a set that covers most areas of the world, but some places will sell you just the US to European.

Yikes - just the other day on one of those "don't forget to take" threads, a cool surge suppresser/multi plug/USB was listed and I planned to take mine. Wonder if I should put it in my carry on???

We took two of these last week on the navigator and no problem. Hubby put them in the camera bag that he carried on. (Lowepro camera bag for DSLR camera). No one batted an eye or questioned anything.

interesting...our b2b feb 17 and 24 no problem with our surge protector in our room. it was in our carryon. its not an extension cord. my sister next door used hers also. Our room attendant had no problems with it. We just used at night to charge camera and phones on islands we were using them or ipads. otherwise they were put away...at least in our room..lol Our attendant said it is wiser to use the surge protectors especially when we pull into ports and sometimes the captain switches utility usage and surges were damaging guests items plugged into multi use cords.

Sorry you had to go to the "room" and got to love all the irons and even the flat irons that were on the tables after you collected your luggage..wow...we were surprised....

Love love love the Adventure!

Archived