Surge Protector Taken!!!!OOOPS!

Everything was in our checked luggage....Royal stated that too many fire incidents at sea has made them change their policies.

We didn't mind, it's best for everyone's safety. We just had to play musical outlets.

Angela

Why would you need more than 3 outlets. Not all of the items you mentioned must be always plugged. Just rotate and keep some of the items plugged/charge when you are away from the room.

actually NOT on the official website of Royal Caribbean of things not to bring...so must be a what ever the captain feels like? I am sure someone will post something different..but under the before you board on the website...things to pack..gives you the list of things to not pack.

I bring my computer so this past cruise, we simply kept that plugged in and plugged all our USBs into it to charge. We also were able to get through with our power strip but it's an idea for those who travel with laptops.

interesting...our b2b feb 17 and 24 no problem with our surge protector in our room. it was in our carryon. its not an extension cord. my sister next door used hers also. Our room attendant had no problems with it. We just used at night to charge camera and phones on islands we were using them or ipads. otherwise they were put away...at least in our room..lol Our attendant said it is wiser to use the surge protectors especially when we pull into ports and sometimes the captain switches utility usage and surges were damaging guests items plugged into multi use cords.

Sorry you had to go to the "room" and got to love all the irons and even the flat irons that were on the tables after you collected your luggage..wow...we were surprised....

Love love love the Adventure!

What????? :eek: That is what I need to do my hair. Are you serious :mad:

Ditto! I can't see that they would allow a curling iron but not a flat iron. Plus mine turn off by themselves after a short time. I'd really like to get a confirmation about this.

Ditto! I can't see that they would allow a curling iron but not a flat iron. Plus mine turn off by themselves after a short time. I'd really like to get a confirmation about this.

Mine has an auto shut off as well. I can see hundreds of women quitting cruising in protest if this is true.

Can you get European adapters in the US?- would take up less room and weight in the luggage!:)

Yes you can get them here! Check any Wal-Mart, Target, Walgreens, or CVS and they will be able to help you out. :)

Suzanne

No More Surge protectors.....we just arrived home from a wonderful trip on the adventure....Our surge protector and extension devices were taken. With only two outlets in a cabin it's hard to plug in the I-pod, camera chargers, electric razor and god only know what else. We have never had these items taken in the past.

I don't fault royals decision for taking these items from us. Our safety at sea is very important.

We couldn't believe how many people tried to bring irons on board as well.

Angela

I have a surge protector and an extension cord and I have taken it on every cruise without any problems, including the Navigator of the Seas earlier this month.

Why would you need more than 3 outlets. Not all of the items you mentioned must be always plugged. Just rotate and keep some of the items plugged/charge when you are away from the room.

I'm more concerned about my expensive electronics frying in the event of a power surge. I've used the Belkin mini-surge protectors for a few years now, and have lost one, I assume to a power surge onboard.

OP, did yours look anything like this?

big_BZ103050TVL.jpg&canvas=1&quality=100&width=285&height=200&ck=250

On our previous RCI cruises we have never had a problem with the number of power outlets. OK- there are only 2 US style outlets in each cabin, but we take European adapters to use in the other outlets as well as US adapters. None of the outlets take UK plugs! Can you get European adapters in the US?- would take up less room and weight in the luggage!:)

We just bring our European adaptors as well, so we can use all the outlets.

DH had to go the naughty room for a Leatherman tool in NOLA. He overheard security mention that they had just confiscated their FOURTH pair of handcuffs.

I never knew handcuffs were a popular travel item. :eek::D

Yep we saw flat irons...CHI ones at that. My sis had hers tho and no one said anything...so not sure if because these were in checked luggage. Have no idea. Now up in the salon when we were doing spa tour once again to enter the drawing, we asked about this, the hair dresser says they have them and not sure why they would be taken...however she said...on one ship she had been on a guest left one on and there was an issue in the cabin as she put it. They burn counters if left on or the vanity. New styles don't seem to be as much problematic as old ones. They aren't forbidden but we saw them the first week when we were going in town and thought wow...three tables of steam ironers and portable steamers too. one table of misc wierd items and on there were flat irons.

I'd hate to visit the naughty room, if leaving the item at home would avoid it.

We haven't gone on our cruise yet - I really don't want to go to the naughty room,

I don't get it. You meet the most interesting people in the naughty room line. Definitely one of the things I look forward to. :)

I'm more concerned about my expensive electronics frying in the event of a power surge. I've used the Belkin mini-surge protectors for a few years now, and have lost one, I assume to a power surge onboard.

Critterchick, I'm not the op, but we had those exact kind and had no problem getting them on board.

....... Our attendant said it is wiser to use the surge protectors especially when we pull into ports and sometimes the captain switches utility usage and surges were damaging guests items plugged into multi use cords.
If ship personnel confiscate your surge protector and then a power surge fries an expensive piece of equipment, do they take responsibility for replacing it, or do they just say tough luck?

The problem with this is that with some cruise ships, it is literally impossible to plug them in because the wall has to be flat to the outlet.

If ship personnel confiscate your surge protector and then a power surge fries an expensive piece of equipment, do they take responsibility for replacing it, or do they just say tough luck?

I'm thinking since the power surge was out of their control and the fact that you happened to have an expensive piece of equipment plugged in which was also out of their control, too bad, so sad.

Is this type of SP good?

Is this type of SP good?

This has worked for us for a couple of years now. No problem fitting it the ship's outlets. Sometimes the phone is right above, or next to an outlet, and this device has a swivel base so it can be adjusted in case of obstructions.

I'm thinking since the power surge was out of their control and the fact that you happened to have an expensive piece of equipment plugged in which was also out of their control, too bad, so sad.

So now if one chooses to cruise with electronics, regardless to whether they are expensive or inexpensive, RCI won't allow the customer to protect their electronics against a surge, but won't do anything if their electronics are damaged in the event of a surge? Wow...............

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

This has worked for us for a couple of years now. No problem fitting it the ship's outlets. Sometimes the phone is right above, or next to an outlet, and this device has a swivel base so it can be adjusted in case of obstructions.

Thank you! :)

I will pop into Staples today to see if they have one.

Archived