Cruising without a Passport is Nutz- Part 2

Hlitner

Why are some people so against getting a passport?

I have never understood this either. As far as I am concerned if these south bound portions of a north bound horse do not want to get one, I will be the last one to shed tears for them if they get themselves into a jam.;)

I don't get it either. I've had a passport since I was old enough to have my own. I guess it's those types who don't want that dag nab Gumnt up in their business.

But it is the Government that says I don't need one for a closed loop cruise :rolleyes:.

Booking your flight day before to fly from Michigan is not guarantee of being in your embarkation port on time.

In winter, airlines pull planes when snow is predicted. They don't want the planes to get stuck on the ground. Your day before flight could be cancelled for weather as well as a host of other reasons.... mechanical, crew staffing, whatever.

If your day before flight is cancelled, you may not get a seat on next day's flight as almost all planes are booked full these days and if you missed your flight, so did many other people. Someone else might get that empty seat or two ahead of you and you are stuck on the ground waiting for an available seat..... whever that might become available.

We book to be in embarkation port two days ahead of cruise and still have had a few 'close calls'.

There were times, in terms of getting a flight, we would have been better in terms of weather, to have booked one day ahead...... or even would have better chance of weather on day of cruise flight.

It's all a 'guessing game' and either you get lucky or not.

And that is why I get insurance ;). Plus we have only sailed in the winter once....

I always travel with a passport. I've done so since I was a baby on my father's. (Gives you an idea of just how old I might be.;))

I'm having difficulty understanding why it seems to matter so much to some people that there are those who are comfortable assuming the risk of legally traveling with BC & government issued photo ID.

I understand pointing out the pitfalls to those who ask. But people who make the choice of BC/photo ID impact my travel and enjoyment thereof not one bit. So why should I care if they choose to risk additional delays and missed cruises?

Not worried about this scenario since we always book our own air and we always fly in the day before. This is a situation that can be avoided...passport or not.

Tell that to all the people who were smart enough to schedule their flights from the New York area & Boston to Fort Lauderdale on Friday, Feb 9 to sail on the 10th, or Saturday, Feb 10 to sail on the 11th. Remember the Snowpocalypse? All flights from those four airports, and a lot of others, were cancelled.

While it's less likely that you'll miss your cruise coming in the day before, it's no panacea. (Neither, by the way, is a passport, but I don't travel without one.)

Tell that to all the people who were smart enough to schedule their flights from the New York area & Boston to Fort Lauderdale on Friday, Feb 9 to sail on the 10th, or Saturday, Feb 10 to sail on the 11th. Remember the Snowpocalypse? All flights from those four airports, and a lot of others, were cancelled.

While it's less likely that you'll miss your cruise coming in the day before, it's no panacea. (Neither, by the way, is a passport, but I don't travel without one.)

But if you don't sail in the winter then this is not an issue. It is just one of the risk factors one must take into account when deciding whether or not to get a passport. For some who choose to sail in the winter it may be a deciding factor... for others of us, not so much...again it is for stuff like this that we get travel insurance.

There is no further "lobbying" required - the closed loop exception and passport card are part of established regulation and are not subject to expiration.

It will be interesting to hear what the passport cheerleaders have to say when a large number of pax on a disabled ship have to fly home without passports and mass exceptions are made and they don't experience any of the doomsday scenarios getting home.

Oh wait, that already happened on the Carnival Dream.

And you really believe that government regulations can never change?

9/11 gave birth to the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative which was phased in over several years with plenty of notice given. I think regs are unlikely to change unless there is a major security event on the order of 9/11, heaven forbid.

Just out of curiousity, do you ever fly internationally?

There have been such posts but there is no chance I will be doing a search for them. :) I'm not a very good researcher. Not one of my strong points. ;)

You may be confused and think it was me who 'tasked' someone to search. It was not.

Anyone else care to take up the challenge?

You would think with how much scorn the passport cheerleaders pour on those who choose to cruise without passports, that someone could produce some first hand CC accounts.

Or it just not all that common?

Not having a passport is limiting unless you want to do endless caribbean closed loop cruises . Alaska requires passports for a lot of the excursions . New England ,you can do without a passport as long as it is a closed loop . Don't you have any interest in seeing Europe or Asia or South America ? No can do without a passport.

But if you don't sail in the winter then this is not an issue. It is just one of the risk factors one must take into account when deciding whether or not to get a passport. For some who choose to sail in the winter it may be a deciding factor... for others of us, not so much...again it is for stuff like this that we get travel insurance.

I'm sure you realize it is not only weather that gets flights cancelled all the time. Let some dizzy dope do or say the wrong thing in an airline terminal and the Security Officials will be responding in very real ways..... such as emptying a terminal; rescanning all passengers and delaying all flights. Mechanical failures certainly get flights badly delayed or cancelled; air crews then often require replacement as their work hour limits reach limit they are allowed........

You get the picture.

These are travel realities in today's world.

I'm sure you realize it is not only weather that gets flights cancelled all the time. Let some dizzy dope do or say the wrong thing in an airline terminal and the Security Officials will be responding in very real ways..... such as emptying a terminal; rescanning all passengers and delaying all flights. Mechanical failures certainly get flights badly delayed or cancelled; air crews then often require replacement as their work hour limits reach limit they are allowed........

You get the picture.

These are travel realities in today's world.

And in any of these cases...that is why I have travel insurance. I have no problem missing a cruise if I am in any of these situations...I have already missed one due to a family death. If you feel you absolutely need to catch up to a missed cruise...then yes you better get a passport. Like I said before...it is a risk that must be assessed when deciding to get a passport or not...some of us are willing to take that risk. So why do you care so much that we are willing to do so?

Not having a passport is limiting unless you want to do endless caribbean closed loop cruises . Alaska requires passports for a lot of the excursions . New England ,you can do without a passport as long as it is a closed loop . Don't you have any interest in seeing Europe or Asia or South America ? No can do without a passport.

Not having passport is not what limits most people...for us it is work and time. I am not interested in doing Alaska yet and Europe/Asia/South America will wait until my job gives me the time to do so....which I don't even see in the next 10 years. If people want to plan a trip like that then they will get a passport. The passport itself is not usually the limiting factor.

You would think with how much scorn the passport cheerleaders pour on those who choose to cruise without passports, that someone could produce some first hand CC accounts.

I think you have your answer.....it's not all that common, no matter how badly that want it to appear to be. Chances of any of their horror stories happening are quite low, but heaven forbid they admit that. That would give credence to some of us using the logic of statistics to make our decisions vs the emotion of fear for the unlikely happening.

Or invest in insurance.

Which doesn't save the vacation, just some of the cost. They would still miss out on the cruise. For me, that would be the biggest disappointment. Getting some of the money back isn't much of a substitute for a missed adventure.

It must be lonely all by yourself beating your "Don't need a passport" drum when virtually everyone else says having one is a good idea. For being in the minority on this topic, you sure are the one shouting the loudest. We get what you think. If your message was a good one, it wouldn't take 8 out of 35 postings to get it across. :D

It must be lonely all by yourself beating your "Don't need a passport" drum when virtually everyone else says having one is a good idea. For being in the minority on this topic, you sure are the one shouting the loudest. We get what you think. If your message was a good one, it wouldn't take 8 out of 35 postings to get it across. :D

Well said.

He isn't the only one beating that drum.

You need to acknowledge that regulations allow you to take certain cruises without a passport, and therefore as a matter of law you don't "need" one.

No one is saying that it isn't a "good idea" to have a passport, but rather that it is an option.

I have a passport and don't leave the country without it, even on closed loop cruises, but I also support the right of others to cruise without one.

Presumably responsible, intelligent adults are capable of making their own decision based on their own assessment of the risks of traveling without one. It's no one's business but their own, and that decision does not affect you or anyone else one bit, so why do you care?

He isn't the only one beating that drum.

You need to acknowledge that regulations allow you to take certain cruises without a passport, and therefore as a matter of law you don't "need" one.

No one is saying that it isn't a "good idea" to have a passport, but rather that it is an option.

I have a passport and don't leave the country without it, even on closed loop cruises, but I also support the right of others to cruise without one.

Presumably responsible, intelligent adults are capable of making their own decision based on their own assessment of the risks of traveling without one. It's no one's business but their own, and that decision does not affect you or anyone else one bit, so why do you care?

That pretty much sums up what I was going to say.

DH and I (and our kids) have cruised four times without passports. We decided we would get passports for our next cruise after our last one, not because of any incidents, but because we felt it would be prudent. However, after getting a new job and moving 500 miles away, passports fell way down on our list of priorities and we booked our upcoming cruise 6 weeks out, which really didn't leave much time to get one.

So, once again, we will sail without passports. If we have a problem in our travels related to not having a passport, it's OUR problem. I'm not sure why so many people are so passionate about the very first-world problems of other consenting adults.

All interesting comments. As was mentioned by someone else, I cannot link to the OP I referenced because that particular post was removed from CC due to some posting issued not related to the actual event.

Now, regarding some of those who prefer to travel without a Passport and question why others (such as moi) bring up the issue...the answer is quite simple. There are many new and relatively uninformed cruisers who read CC hoping to pick-up tips and learn about the cruising world. These folks usually benefit from being fully informed about this issue and some of us that routinely post on CC are passionate in trying to post information that might be helpful to the lesser informed. Since many younger travelers start their cruising experience on Carnival I thought I would post the thoughts of Carnival Cruise Lines on the Passport subject:

"Carnival highly recommends all guests travel with a passport (valid for at least six months beyond completion of travel). Although a passport is not required for U.S. citizens taking cruises that begin & end in the same U.S. port, travelling with a passport enhances your disembarkation experience, as delays may be expected upon your return to the U.S. if you do not have one. Additionally, passports make it easier for you to fly from the U.S. to a foreign port should you miss your scheduled port of embarkation, or need to fly back to the U.S. for emergency reasons."

Personally, we must have Passports since we travel all over the world. But for those taking an infrequent closed-loop cruise we understand it can be a tough decision and is pretty expensive. But keep in mind that a US Passport is valid for 10 years (for adults) and immediately bestows on the holder "travel freedom" which allows you to go nearly anywhere in the world at any time.

Hank

The point you are missing is, that as a matter of fact, legally a passport is not needed on a closed loop cruise. Your opinion nor anyone elses opinion on whether or not it is a good idea is irrelevant. People have a right to choose based on their own level of risk taking and their own travel needs and wants. Are there risks? Yes...extremely low risks. We know and accept this....but there is also a risk in every single thing we do. The government leaves it up to the cruiser to decide how much risk they are willing to assume since the security risk is extremely low.

What irritates some of us is how some people assume that we must all share their level of risk taking and they insist we must all get a passport no matter what. The fact is, the government says that it is up to us to choose how much risk we are willing to take....some of you need to get off your high horse and get over it.

All interesting comments. As was mentioned by someone else, I cannot link to the OP I referenced because that particular post was removed from CC due to some posting issued not related to the actual event.

Now, regarding some of those who prefer to travel without a Passport and question why others (such as moi) bring up the issue...the answer is quite simple. There are many new and relatively uninformed cruisers who read CC hoping to pick-up tips and learn about the cruising world. These folks usually benefit from being fully informed about this issue and some of us that routinely post on CC are passionate in trying to post information that might be helpful to the lesser informed. Since many younger travelers start their cruising experience on Carnival I thought I would post the thoughts of Carnival Cruise Lines on the Passport subject:

"Carnival highly recommends all guests travel with a passport (valid for at least six months beyond completion of travel). Although a passport is not required for U.S. citizens taking cruises that begin & end in the same U.S. port, travelling with a passport enhances your disembarkation experience, as delays may be expected upon your return to the U.S. if you do not have one. Additionally, passports make it easier for you to fly from the U.S. to a foreign port should you miss your scheduled port of embarkation, or need to fly back to the U.S. for emergency reasons."

Personally, we must have Passports since we travel all over the world. But for those taking an infrequent closed-loop cruise we understand it can be a tough decision and is pretty expensive. But keep in mind that a US Passport is valid for 10 years (for adults) and immediately bestows on the holder "travel freedom" which allows you to go nearly anywhere in the world at any time.

Hank

Letting people know there is a risk and insisting a passport is necessary are 2 different things. I have nothing against letting people know there is risk. But I am opposed to those who exagerate the risk and are insistant the closed loop cruisers need to get a passport when they don't have to. As for it being valid for 10 years...that doesn't take away from the fact that it is due all at once and if you are planning a closed loop cruise spending a few hours in a foreign port that is an expensive addition to your planned trip that is not necessary. Immediate "travel freedom" is also not a benefit to those with other restrictions on travel....like time and work. In their case, spending money on something they can't use is not a benefit.

I really don't care if someone has a passport or not, I was just curious why some chose not to get one. Personally, I don't think the cost is an issue, it is one of the cheapest parts of my vacation, especially when divided up over 10 years.

......snipping for relevence to my question.

Hank

I've never checked what cruise lines say or do not say about passports since we travel with them. Is the above new, considering the last Carnival episode, or have they always had this in their information? Just curious.

BTW, many young first time cruisers choose lines other than Carnival.;):)

Archived