Princess Cays - Is it worth it?

wrg11

If the OP is not a beach person like ourselves, then there will be little to do on the Caye. If you just want to get off the ship, walk around awhile mostly in the sun (little shade there), grab a few drinks at the bar and have a hamburger/hot dog at the buffet, then go ashore. We have been to Princess Caye several times and did finally get off the ship one time for about one hour or so. There was plenty to do on the somewhat vacant ship while a lot of pax enjoyed the sun (and sunburns that I saw later) and beach. To each their own.

Yes, it does tend to be a "fly convention" :rolleyes: at the picnic buffet. We don't eat there.

Otherwise, we always enjoy our stops at Princess Cays! :)

We normally have a late breakfast and take a tender over at around 11 o'clock.

The Banana Beach Bar area is our favorite. We often just sit at the bar overlooking the water, listen to live caribbean & beach music, and chat with others. Next to the bar there are some shady areas in case we decide to sit in a lounge chair for a while. (If you don't want children near a bar and/or would like a quiter place, there are many other areas.)

Back when our children were still cruising with us, they LOVED going to Princess Cay! Do consider taking yours. After all, you don't have to stay there all day if you don't want to.

LuLu

~~~~

I think this is exactly what we will do.. we have been there - when our sons were teens... and they rented jet skis and loved it. This time it is just the two of us and I think we will take a later tender and just enjoy the Banana Beach Bar....

Next winter we'll be on a 14 day back to back with 2 stops there. I know people have talked about hiking and things. We would be interested in just walking around for a couple of hours, having lunch and maybe sitting for a while.

I know there is not much there, but how is the walking-just to walk around? I imagine on a nice day it must be pretty pleasant-even if there is nothing specific to see. Is that so?

We walked outside the grounds by heading to the right from the dock, found a paved road heading inland, then took the first paved road left and then back into the compound on the other side--it was maybe 2-3 miles or so and made a nice walk, if you're not up for 7-8 miles.

Thanks for the tip. After hiking in Alaska, it does not look that bad-except for the heat.....I will keep this in mind, though....

Hi Mike & Lee! We will be with you on the Crown 1/25/14 cruise!

(That roll call is really slow.)

Don't be too worried about the heat. We've been to Princess Cays many times over the years in Jan/Feb.

There have been times with it was chilly, windy, & rainy!

What all of us need to hope for is a sunny warm day. :)

LuLu

~~~~

If the girls like the water and snorkeling we really enjoyed that. When we were there we went left as far as you can and grabbed two chairs in the shade and snorkeled most of the day. Saw some really neat things. The water was very clear when we went.

Hi Mike & Lee! We will be with you on the Crown 1/25/14 cruise!

(That roll call is really slow.)

Don't be too worried about the heat. We've been to Princess Cays many times over the years in Jan/Feb.

There have been times with it was chilly, windy, & rainy!

What all of us need to hope for is a sunny warm day. :)

LuLu

~~~~

Hello LuLu, well if it is chilly, windy, & rainy I doubt if I would walk 7-8 miles either...;)

Been there, done that.....if you haven't been there before, then go. Then you can say you have experienced it for yourself and you can form your own opinion.

This next time, I think we will stay on ship and enjoy it almost to ourselves.

I'm on the fence about Princess Cays. I think it's a neat place to enjoy the Caribbean without the crowds of tourists that you find on the other islands. I thought the BBQ fine and didn't notice a plethora of flies...there's shopping and you can walk around or relax or do whatever.

That said, a day on the ship while most people are fighting the tenders back and forth can be quite relaxing as well - sometimes more so because the majority of the people on board will go ashore.

So when I'm at Princess Cays - going ashore just depends on my mood...

We've only sailed in the Caribbean once and the water was too rough to go to Princess Cays. They had, however, sent out the crew with the equipment earlier in the morning and it was totally fascinating to watch them reboarding the life rafts and crew in rough water.

Since we aren't beach people, we thought that was way better entertainment.

Been there, done that.....if you haven't been there before, then go. Then you can say you have experienced it for yourself and you can form your own opinion.

This next time, I think we will stay on ship and enjoy it almost to ourselves.

That really is my feeling too. Like or not, at least we can say that we've been.

Archived