MORE things Splendor ... NY style!

Cyber Kat

Not planning on drinking too much between noon - 5pm? :) I say 5pm because it seems that they have been leaving at 5 instead of the posted 4pm sailing time. I'll probably have consumed at least a half dozen Thirsty Frog Reds by then!! :D

LOL, it can get ugly with delayed departures. We can tell some teales while waiting for our cabanas at the excursion desk.:)

LOL, it can get ugly with delayed departures. We can tell some teales while waiting for our cabanas at the excursion desk.:)

I insist on buying the first round at the lobby bar before we head to the excursion desk. Priorities you know!!! :D

Not planning on drinking too much between noon - 5pm? :) I say 5pm because it seems that they have been leaving at 5 instead of the posted 4pm sailing time. I'll probably have consumed at least a half dozen Thirsty Frog Reds by then!! :D

Wonder why they are leaving late. Probably too many people who don't get off at the end of the cruise until they throw us off ... like me :D

Wonder why they are leaving late. Probably too many people who don't get off at the end of the cruise until they throw us off ... like me :D

I will look for the claw marks on the rug leading to the door.

I insist on buying the first round at the lobby bar before we head to the excursion desk. Priorities you know!!! :D

Deal if I can get the next round. Priorities are a wonderful thing.....sometimes.:cool:

They rarely leave on time. They can easily get to San Juan or Grand Turk (depending on the itinerary), in the allotted time. One time we left at 7:30 because someone passed away at the Lido Bar prior to the Muster Drill, and we still made it to San Juan by 1pm (early) two days later.

They rarely leave on time. They can easily get to San Juan or Grand Turk (depending on the itinerary), in the allotted time. One time we left at 7:30 because someone passed away at the Lido Bar prior to the Muster Drill, and we still made it to San Juan by 1pm (early) two days later.

Now that can ruin your vacation.:(

Deal if I can get the next round. Priorities are a wonderful thing.....sometimes.:cool:

It's a deal. We'll probably be ready for another one by the time we leave the excursion desk... :D

It's a deal. We'll probably be ready for another one by the time we leave the excursion desk... :D

It can take a bit of time. On the Liberty last year I was 2nd in line at the desk. Wanted the furthest down the beach, and got 12....hmmmm. Not quite sure how that worked out but oh well.

Kind of put a damper on the sailaway. :(

I can imagine. Duck had a little excitement on his last voyage on the Splendor, but worked out much better and got a helicopter ride to boot (notice I did not say free).

OMG - that's not good! IIRC we left on time the last 2 cruises I did out of NY. We did leave waaaay late on a CTN one time. I have no idea why, but it was cool sailing out with all the lights on in the city!

It can take a bit of time. On the Liberty last year I was 2nd in line at the desk. Wanted the furthest down the beach, and got 12....hmmmm. Not quite sure how that worked out but oh well.

We prefer #4 Orange at HMC, and #9 or #10 at GT.

OMG - that's not good! IIRC we left on time the last 2 cruises I did out of NY. We did leave waaaay late on a CTN one time. I have no idea why, but it was cool sailing out with all the lights on in the city!

I've sailed from NYC once. That was this past March and we left late and it was snowing. :eek: I was kind of bummed since I was hoping to get some good shots of Lady Liberty as we sailed out. Took a few okay night photos but hoping that my December b2bs I manage to get a couple of good shots.

Thanks for starting this thread. I've sailed the Splendor twice out of Long Beach and now that I know how easy it is to sail from NYC looking forward to sailing the Splendor from the Big Apple whenever possible.

There is a thread called All things Splendor, but most of the posts are old and all are from LA.

I thought I'd start a NY related one, since we will be sailing on her in June and I've been on a quest for info.

Things I've learned so far/questions I've gotten answers to ...

The Splendor has actual trays - not plates pretending to be trays - yay!

Go through the “secret doors” (all the way to the front of the ship, may be at the left or right side with or without high wind warning signs) on decks 6, 7, 9, or 10 and you’ll have the same view the captain has from the bridge.

Rotisserie has good food and plenty of tables.

They can cover the Lido pool in inclement weather and they show movies there with free popcorn.

The cover band is currently True Identity - who I have heard are very good!

There is both a Mongolian Wok and a Burrito Bar. Also Tandoor/Indian - but I wasn't as interested in that - might give it a try, I've heard the Naan is very good.

The Sushi Bar serves sushi - not the Tasting Menu thing!

The Deli has good paninis.

Everything is PINK! Looks kind of lavenderish in some pics. I like pink - I can deal :D

The Steak House is good, and I may need to make my reservations online before we go. If you did the Steak house was it difficult to get a reservation? Ahi Tuna Tartare is calling my name!

It has a Serenity area with a bar, but no pool and no hot tub.

The aft pool is Adults only.

The ship has a mini golf course - I love mini golf and it's such fun to play on the ship with the wind wrecking havoc!

You have to pay extra for the Thalassotherapy Pool and the special Spa rooms, unless you have a Spa cabin.

They do the bean bag game - Yay! They do not do the Horse Race thing :(

Malcolm "WooWoo" Burns is the CD, but Big Tex will sub while Malcolm is on vacation - late May early June. I thought we would have Big Tex on the 6/10 sailing but John Heald said, we would have Malcolm. I've had him before, guess I will have to prepare myself to be "Wooed" :p

-----------------------------------------------------------

Things I would still like to know ...

Did they offer the wine pairing class in the Steak House? We did this on the Miracle and it was very good - loved the little food samples.

Do they have the little cinnamon rolls at breakfast - I love those?

I heard that they switched the Lido coffee to Lavassa and that it's much improved. If anyone can confirm this, I won't need to bring as much tea.

I'm sure I have more questions and more information, but that should do it for now. If anyone who has sailed her recently has Fun Times, they could share or perhaps post highlights - that would be awesome.

Thanks to everyone who has helped with my quest for knowledge! I've heard lots of good things from the first group out of NYC and the second group should be debarking as we speak! Those of us who will be sailing on the Splendor out of the Big Apple want to know!

Thanks big_duck that was a great video. I can't wait to see it for myself. My son and I are going on our first cruise in 4 weeks on the June 26th sailing. This tread has given me lots of good information.