MORE things Splendor ... NY style!

Cyber Kat

Helllloooooo everyone! My husband and I just booked the Splendor out of NYC for November 25th! We got a great deal and it was a total spur of the moment decision so we're pretty excited! So....in regards to the making drinks in the room....I've never attempted to bring alcohol on board in all of my previous cruises, but this time I'm thinking I might attempt it. Do they open your water bottles if they're sealed and the liquid inside is (ahem) clear?:D

Thanks!!!

Laura

Helllloooooo everyone! My husband and I just booked the Splendor out of NYC for November 25th! We got a great deal and it was a total spur of the moment decision so we're pretty excited! So....in regards to the making drinks in the room....I've never attempted to bring alcohol on board in all of my previous cruises, but this time I'm thinking I might attempt it. Do they open your water bottles if they're sealed and the liquid inside is (ahem) clear?:D

Thanks!!!

Laura

Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. It's a crap shoot.;) GOOD LUCK and have a great cruise! :)

I haven't cruised with Carnival in a long time and as we all know, every cruise line is different in their own way. The FTTF pass....I keep hearing about it, but I don't see it offered on the Splendor sailing for 9/6/13. How do I get one of these passes and is it really worth bothering with? I'm not expecting to arrive in NY (by plane) until around 10:30 am and then with the time it will take to get to the cruise terminal....should I get it???? is it even available???

2nd question: Grand Turk. I don't recall ever going there before. I know the beaches are supposed to be really nice. What is there to do that is worth doing and doesn't cost an unholy fortune. My husband and I are 45 and 49....we enjoy a good party as much as anyone, but we don't care to be surrounded by 20 year olds either. We enjoy the beach, but we also enjoy some FUN sightseeing. We aren't much into shopping for other touristy types of things.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks so much.

I haven't cruised with Carnival in a long time and as we all know, every cruise line is different in their own way. The FTTF pass....I keep hearing about it, but I don't see it offered on the Splendor sailing for 9/6/13. How do I get one of these passes and is it really worth bothering with? I'm not expecting to arrive in NY (by plane) until around 10:30 am and then with the time it will take to get to the cruise terminal....should I get it???? is it even available???

2nd question: Grand Turk. I don't recall ever going there before. I know the beaches are supposed to be really nice. What is there to do that is worth doing and doesn't cost an unholy fortune. My husband and I are 45 and 49....we enjoy a good party as much as anyone, but we don't care to be surrounded by 20 year olds either. We enjoy the beach, but we also enjoy some FUN sightseeing. We aren't much into shopping for other touristy types of things.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks so much.

It has been pre-announced to being offered for the Splendor. John Heal the senior CD has mentioned on his blog site that it will be announced later this week for the Splendor. I cna tell you that it looks like ot will be there for our sailing (8/13) as our boarding passes say FTTF (we are platinum so we get it for free.

When it is announced, it will be offered as an excursion on Carnival.com There are only so many that they sell per sailing. I am not sure it will help you getting on, but there are other features.

GT is one of our favorite ports. Carnival has put a bunch of money into the port. Thre is a free form pool, Margaritawille and swim up bar, flow rider and a very nice beach. We have never ventured away from the port area. Others here can tell you of their experience roaming about and other excursions.

Jim

Edited by jimbo5544

Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. It's a crap shoot.;) GOOD LUCK and have a great cruise! :)

Not saying that I broke the rules or anything in March out of NYC but I had plenty of adult beverages for my 15-day cruise. ;)

Not saying that I broke the rules or anything in March out of NYC but I had plenty of adult beverages for my 15-day cruise. ;)

We only had the allowed 2 bottles of wine (one for each) and I had a couple of minis in my toiletries case (more for convenience than anything else.) My sister had 2 bottles of wine for one person. They never even asked if we had anything - and I had a wine carrier which never got checked.

It might depend on what time you get to the pier or what kind of mood they are in that day, so I wouldn't count on it.

It might depend on what time you get to the pier or what kind of mood they are in that day, so I wouldn't count on it.

I never count on it. The only time I have been checked was Splendor out of Long Beach and I wasn't bringing anything "extra" on board but my bottled water which still had the plastic wrap around it from the store got checked.

We only had the allowed 2 bottles of wine (one for each) and I had a couple of minis in my toiletries case (more for convenience than anything else.) My sister had 2 bottles of wine for one person. They never even asked if we had anything - and I had a wine carrier which never got checked.

We had 8 people in our group - with 6 of us over 21. So we had 6 bottles of wine. My DH carried them all in a backpack. He put the bag through the scanner at the embarkation port and no one even asked him about it. Even though not all of us were together.

Maggie

Park Right is offering 25.00 a day tax included,,, it's a on line special, you can find the link on the HY Harbor web cam page. We booked with them after reading other reviews. you can either drop off your car load, than go to them a few blocks down, they will Valet you back to the peir, give you a 5.oo voucher for a taxi on your return from cruise. it's a savings of 80.oo plus dollars. If you want the direct link, you can email me direct at this name at aol.com

How did you like Park Right. Thinking of using them on next 2 NYC cruises

How did you like Park Right. Thinking of using them on next 2 NYC cruises

We haven't Used them yet, I am booked to use them for our cruise on the 13th of August, for 200.00 total I am goingby how others have recomended them.. But I will write about it in a review end of August..

Hiiii!!! I just wanted to say hello and that I'm very excited about our first trip on the Splendor!!!

I'm curious about the restaurants....when I go on the Carnival website it lists all the restaurants but I feel like it's a generic listing? It shows Guys Burgers (not like I care, as I'm a vegetarian of 17 years, lol!!!), the Blue Iguana, sushi place, tapas place, Capital Italian Place (or something) etc....all these branded places. It's not so much that I care if they are on the ship, it's just that I'm curious as to WHAT exactly is on the ship as far as food. I do know that the Mongolian grill, pizza place, and MDR exist. That's about it. Any additional info would be greatly appreciated!!

Laura

Splendor also has a generic burger and hot dog stand on the other side of the ship from the pizza place.

They also have a burrito bar and Indian bar (great pita and hummus) on the same level. A rotisserie is one level up (and a great place for the meet and greet).

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

Hiiii!!! I just wanted to say hello and that I'm very excited about our first trip on the Splendor!!!

I'm curious about the restaurants....when I go on the Carnival website it lists all the restaurants but I feel like it's a generic listing? It shows Guys Burgers (not like I care, as I'm a vegetarian of 17 years, lol!!!), the Blue Iguana, sushi place, tapas place, Capital Italian Place (or something) etc....all these branded places. It's not so much that I care if they are on the ship, it's just that I'm curious as to WHAT exactly is on the ship as far as food. I do know that the Mongolian grill, pizza place, and MDR exist. That's about it. Any additional info would be greatly appreciated!!

Laura

Most of those are on ships with the 2.0 upgrades. The Splendor has not had them yet - which except for Guy's Burgers (I'd love to try them) was fine for me. There was lots of live music instead of just the DJs. The shows still have live music also.

Plus it means the Splendor has a sushi bar (California Roll - deck 5) instead of the Tasting Bar. And when a ship gets 2.0, the Mongolian Wok goes! I loved the Mongolian Wok - the lines can get long, but the food was fantastic.

There is also the Burrito Bar in the Lido buffet area (It's the omelet station in the am) not too far from the MW. There is a Deli and the Tandori by the aft (adults only) pool. Several ice cream/frozen yogurt spots. Pizza and the Grill (hamburgers, yummy hot dogs and you can get chili and grilled chicken) by the mid-ship pool.

The Rotisserie - chicken, mac & cheese (bacon on the side!), potato salad - on deck 10. Stairs are in the Lido Buffet - aft section. This is a great place to eat because no one knows it's there. We ate breakfast and lunch up there too.

And finally the Pinnacle Steak House on deck 11 - absolutely worth the $35 up charge. Sooo good!

Most of those are on ships with the 2.0 upgrades. The Splendor has not had them yet - which except for Guy's Burgers (I'd love to try them) was fine for me. There was lots of live music instead of just the DJs. The shows still have live music also.

Plus it means the Splendor has a sushi bar (California Roll - deck 5) instead of the Tasting Bar. And when a ship gets 2.0, the Mongolian Wok goes! I loved the Mongolian Wok - the lines can get long, but the food was fantastic.

There is also the Burrito Bar in the Lido buffet area (It's the omelet station in the am) not too far from the MW. There is a Deli and the Tandori by the aft (adults only) pool. Several ice cream/frozen yogurt spots. Pizza and the Grill (hamburgers, yummy hot dogs and you can get chili and grilled chicken) by the mid-ship pool.

The Rotisserie - chicken, mac & cheese (bacon on the side!), potato salad - on deck 10. Stairs are in the Lido Buffet - aft section. This is a great place to eat because no one knows it's there. We ate breakfast and lunch up there too.

And finally the Pinnacle Steak House on deck 11 - absolutely worth the $35 up charge. Sooo good!

It's all good and I agree completely with Kat, I don't care about the 2.0 upgrades except would love to have a Guy's Burger...:rolleyes: Don't forget about the chocolate sauce at the lunch dessert bar aft port side. I always got a (salad) bowl, filled it with soft serve ice cream, went to the dessert bar and drizzled some chocolate sauce on top, then took a cone and crumbled it in...oh, be still my heart! :p:p

We used Park Right and were charged an extra $80 for our Ford pickup truck because of its size.

Anything oversized is over priced, I read there is a different charge for larger vehicles. I have a Honda, parking for 200 for the 8 days, taxes included... printed out charges in hand before I even go there... but I'm sure If were 15 min later of the 24 hours time, we'll be charged a whole nother day,,,,