Boat To and Bus From Oia

Kenato

Options & suggestions re late arrival 1400-2200 Oct 8,2014 on Celebrity Reflection. There are 8 in our party. Would appreciate any help.

One option you might consider is to charter a boat for a couple of hours to sail to Oia. You might consider the service we are using, Captain Stathis with the boat Anemos.

Anemos charters with Captain Stathis

His minimum charter is 2 hours, and the rental is 100 Euro per hour. You might consider asking for some others from your roll call to join you, the boat holds up to 12. Since you have the two hours, he can do a sightseeing tour of the Caldera and drop you in Oia at the end. He can also assist with setting up a minibus to take you up the cliff from Amoudi Bay to Oia. I am not familiar with how long the public buses run on the way back, so you will need to check that. If you did get a group of 12, the cost would be less than 17 euro each, plus the cost of the minibus ride and the public bus back to Fira.

We are also on Reflection, but we arrive in the morning. We formed a group from the roll call to charter for 5 hours, riding with Captain Stathis both ways. We will do 3 hours in Oia and 2 hours of sightseeing, with pickup and return to the old port. This eliminates the need for the cable car, thus we won't need to worry about the lines. It cost a bit more than the boat/bus option, but not by much, and will hopefully relieve some stress on getting back on time. To clarify, we don't sail until September, we have not used this service yet.

Good luck with your decisions. :)

Options & suggestions re late arrival 1400-2200 Oct 8,2014 on Celebrity Reflection. There are 8 in our party. Would appreciate any help.

We are going in June on the Reflection and have never been to Santorini, but I looked at it in some detail because with the arrival in the afternoon creates some issues and opted grudgingly for the ship cruise excursion to Oia, the Winery and back to Fira. You get off the ship early and avoid the cable car and donkeys at the start but have to take the cable cars back to the ship at the end of the visit to Santorini.

My rational was to get off the ship as quickly as possible and get to Oia. It appears that there is no ship to Oia as it appears the NET- boatmans union service is not running(who knows? and there is at least one real horror story using them from my good friend Ewoodpark scroll down -http://boards.cruisecritic.com)/showthread.php?t=1999861).

That means you have to get up using the cable cars that santorini.com claim have a capacity of 1200 people an hour, but that is both ways as best I can ascertain 600 up and 600 down an hour. The math is that the MSC Fantasia is leaving at 5 pm and has 3900 passengers and crew coming back to the boat while Reflection has 3000 passengers and crew going up(some people will be taking excursions and others will walk or take the donkeys) but at 600 people going in one direction an hour that means quite a traffic jam.

The trip on the cable car from youtube videos is approximately about 1 minute and 40 seconds and they have six cars moving in one direction with 6 people in each car or 36 people going up at a time - it is not a continuous running like the ski lifts in North American so they have to load 36 people with many being elderly which should take at least a minute so each trip takes at probably at best 3 minutes to complete - or 20 trips an hour that is 20 x 36 = 720 people up, I think 600 an hour in one direction is probably more accurate.

That is why people give up and walk or take the donkeys. The problem with the donkeys is they smell and the stench can stay on your clothes, and people report getting their legs scraped on the walls when the donkeys get too close to the walls. Walking you have to avoid the donkey dung and the donkeys going up and down.

Once you get to the top you have to take a bus to Oia and they run every hour and take about half an hour and the number of people trying to get there work against you and likewise with finding a taxi.

I think this explains why there are stories of a lot of people not making it to Oia. If you take the Santorini Planet bus to Oia, yes bus, you still need to get up early in the morning and try and get a tender to get to the old port by 3 but likely you are going to have to wait for the bus to depart till people get off the Reflection on their tenders.

All in all, the Reflection is not in Santorini for a long time when you consider you have to line up for awhile to get back down on the cable car if you don't want to walk. This is why we chose the 2:15 shore excursion to Oia through the cruise ship.

In past years the ships alleviated some of the traffic as you could get off the tender and take a 12 minute boat ride to Oia' but if they are indeed not running it makes things much more challenging and I don't think it is pretty. I could be wrong and it is not 'black and white' but the number of people of wanting to go up from the Reflection and down to the Fantasia are large numbers. We had friends, in their thirties, who were in Santorini on the Silhouette last year and said the line up to get back to the ship was 2 hours so they walked down in their flip flops which they regretted deeply almost slipping and stepping in the doodoo and getting running over by donkeys. They wanted to turn back. The lesson for us was get off early and get back early.

Edited by Wdavid1019

Why should anybody be confused. There are two different transfers to Oia based on times. The morning is:

Transfer to Oia by Speedboat & return to Fira by bus Departure from the old port of Fira by speedboat to reach in only 12 minutes Ammoudi bay at the bottom of the picturesque and traditional village of Oia. There the partner agency will do the transfer by bus from the small harbor until the tourist parking of the village. The pickup point of the bus to reach the capital of Santorini, Fira, will be at same place...

The afternoon is:

Transfer to Oia by Speedboat & return to Fira by bus Departure from the old port of Fira by speedboat to reach the new port of the island, Athinios port. There the partner agency will do the transfer by bus to the tourist parking of the village of Oia, it takes about 30 minutes. The pickup point of the bus to reach the capital of Santorini, Fira, will be at same place...

Simples !

Not for me. For some reason, I was under the impression that the afternoon trips departed from Athinios and you had to find your own way there. I'm guessing it wasn't just me who found it difficult to comprehend correctly, especially when planning multiple excursions in limited spare time? If it is difficult to understand, I book later or with someone else who makes things more clear with images or words. This isn't intended as a dig against non-English speakers or international travel, just an observation of my own tendencies to want to understand what I'm paying for in a clear manner.

In an effort to clarify, if you'll allow me to break down your info a bit and incorporate some info from reviews, this might help some others.

8:45, 9:45, 10:45 AM departures:

1. Pickup point: Old port below Fira. You will meet the SantoriniPlanet representative here to collect voucher.
  2. Speedboat from old port below Fira to Ammoundi Bay. Boat leaves once it is full.
  3. Bus from Ammoundi Bay up to traditional village of Oia - 12 minute ride.
    • You will also be shown where to board the return bus and provided with return bus timetable.
    • Return buses depart several times a day and customer can choose which one to return on, after arrival in Oia.

[*]Bus (operated by Partner Agency) will return from Oia to Fira.

Dropoff point: Village of Fira above old port

Customer to provide own transportation from Fira to old port cruise tender point. Options include: Cable Car, Donkey, or downhill walk

11:30, 12:15, 15:00 (3:00 pm) departures:

2. Pickup point: Old port below Fira. You will meet the SantoriniPlanet representative here to collect voucher.
  3. Speedboat from old port below Fira to Athinios port.
  4. Bus from Athinios port to traditional village of Oia - 30 minute ride.
    • You will also be shown where to board the return bus and provided with return bus timetable.
    • Return buses depart several times a day and customer can choose which one to return on, after arrival in Oia.

[*]Bus (operated by Partner Agency) will return from Oia to Fira.

Dropoff point: Village of Fira above old port

Customer to provide own transportation from Fira to old port cruise tender point. Options include: Cable Car, Donkey, or downhill walk

Edited by travelpeon

• 2 weeks later...

I just used this service last week. I didn't book in advance and it was not a problem at all. They seemed to have plenty of availability. We were the only ship in port at the time though. We arrived by tender at about 8:30 and went directly to the place to purchase the tickets for the transfer. It was $25 pp. They told us the boat would leave at 9:15. We used the time to walk around the shops in the area. The boat left right on time. It was a lovely ride to Amoudi Bay. The bus to Oia was waiting for us when we arrived. We did have to walk up a steep hill to get on it. We were in Oia by 10:00. We spent 3 hours here and caught the 13:00 bus back to Fira. It all worked perfectly for us and I would recommend this transfer.

I just used this service last week. I didn't book in advance and it was not a problem at all. They seemed to have plenty of availability. We were the only ship in port at the time though. We arrived by tender at about 8:30 and went directly to the place to purchase the tickets for the transfer. It was $25 pp. They told us the boat would leave at 9:15. We used the time to walk around the shops in the area. The boat left right on time. It was a lovely ride to Amoudi Bay. The bus to Oia was waiting for us when we arrived. We did have to walk up a steep hill to get on it. We were in Oia by 10:00. We spent 3 hours here and caught the 13:00 bus back to Fira. It all worked perfectly for us and I would recommend this transfer.

Thanks for circling back, luv2vacation, and giving those of us who are looking to use this service some confidence. We have a reservation for a 9:45 a.m. boat so it sounds like it will work just great. We plan to have lunch in Oia before returning to Fira for some wandering and then the cable car down.

Thanks luv2vacation for reporting back on your day in Santorini and the transfers, glad to hear it all worked out and you had a good day.

Hopefully this is what we will do too, but just wondering how busy it was once you got back to Fira, did any other cruise ship come into port during the day ?

Thanks luv2vacation for reporting back on your day in Santorini and the transfers, glad to hear it all worked out and you had a good day.

Hopefully this is what we will do too, but just wondering how busy it was once you got back to Fira, did any other cruise ship come into port during the day ?

Yes, the Celebrity Reflection came into port at 14:00. It was crowded in Fira but not too bad. The line for the cable car was very long when we wanted to go down. I think this was probably people from our ship as everyone waited until the last minute to return. We walked down the donkey path. It took about 30 minutes and wasn't too bad at all. I wouldn't recommend it for people who have any type of medical or mobility issue though. Our dinner companions rode the cable car down and said they waited in line almost an hour.

Yes, the Celebrity Reflection came into port at 14:00. It was crowded in Fira but not too bad. The line for the cable car was very long when we wanted to go down. I think this was probably people from our ship as everyone waited until the last minute to return. We walked down the donkey path. It took about 30 minutes and wasn't too bad at all. I wouldn't recommend it for people who have any type of medical or mobility issue though. Our dinner companions rode the cable car down and said they waited in line almost an hour.

Thanks luv2vacation, I think we have another cruise ship in port that day but not sure how big it is, or what time it docks.

At least now I know we can walk down the path as a option as well, if it's busy.

Looking forward to visiting Santorini :)

Thanks

I don't know why people make such a big deal about walking up to Fira from the tender drop off. Yes there are donkeys and plenty of little "gifts" from them on the pavement. But if you are reasonable fit it is far preferable to waiting for the cable car. My DH is in his late 70's and we have done it twice -- including last September( we then walked to Oia). We returned from Oia by bus after a lovely long lunch of authentic dishes( try the to tomato fritters and the warm favs bean purée)and nicely chilled Santorini white wine. The crowds waiting for the cable car were twice what they had been in the morning and we were so glad we were walking down. We were back on our Seabourn ship drinking champagne before many of our shipmates got onto a cable car.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't know why people make such a big deal about walking up to Fira from the tender drop off. Yes there are donkeys and plenty of little "gifts" from them on the pavement. But if you are reasonable fit it is far preferable to waiting for the cable car. My DH is in his late 70's and we have done it twice -- including last September( we then walked to Oia). We returned from Oia by bus after a lovely long lunch of authentic dishes( try the to tomato fritters and the warm favs bean purée)and nicely chilled Santorini white wine. The crowds waiting for the cable car were twice what they had been in the morning and we were so glad we were walking down. We were back on our Seabourn ship drinking champagne before many of our shipmates got onto a cable car.

Sometimes several large ships are in port all at once. On the day we'll visit, if all ships are sailing full, it might be over 9,000 passengers. Even with the cable cars and donkeys, that still leaves a lot of people to walk up and down the path if just 60% off the passengers choose to leave the ship and are not on a sailing excursion.

The donkeys will probably be well used and continually going up and down the path. The path will also be crowded with fellow passengers on similarly timed schedules. Add in tourists staying on the island who for whatever reason are also choosing to visit the same areas and travel on the same roads at the same time. Then add in some crew from the ships... I think it makes sense to do some research and weigh my options.

It sounds like you're both quite active if you can hike from Fira to Oia. Was it a nice walk?

Yes, you are so right --- if thousands of people did it it would be crowded. But given the propensity of many people to seek the easy way I don't think that is likely to happen. My point is geared to the minority who want to avoid long lines and crowds of the cable car and don't mind some exertion.If you are pressed for time this is a good way to save some time.

The hike to Oia was great --- spectacular views. In a perfect world we would have gotten and earlier start. We were on Seabourn's first tender and still did not start our hike until around 10AM. We stopped to look at the views and take pictures -- it took about three hours. The one thing I would warn those attempting it is that there is not an ounce of shade. Bring water, wear a long sleeved shirt , slather on the sunscreen and don a wide brimmed hat.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I just made my booking for Santorini Planet boat for transfers. The website is LIVE!!

I cannot find any links to book on the santorini planet site - I sent a message through the contact button. Am I missing something?

I too am intending to book the speedboat but cannot decide what time to go for: 8.45 or 9.45. We are due to arrive at 7.00am but are a bit worried that we may miss the 8.45am boat to Oia. Want to maximise our time on Santorini and wonder if we are being over cautious in booking the 9.45 departure? Also, how do I find out what cruise ships are due to arrive at 7.00am please? If anybody on this thread has had this arrival on Reflection 7.00am - 6.00pm I would be grateful for your observations.

The question might be how soon you get on the tender. They usually get the ones on ships tours on the first tenders. Why not take it easy and go for the 9:45 (unless the ship departs early afternoon)

Thanks so much for the link - it looks as though Reflection is the only ship in port that day! I suppose its a bit early yet so more cruise ships could be added?

This site is not always correct. It doesn't list our ship for the day we are in port.

Facebook page is where the bookings are done for Santorini Planet:

https://www.facebook.com/Santoriniplanet/app_132896805841?ref=br_tf

Tried this one. Filled all the details of credit card - first Dinners, which are giving double points towards airline tickets - didn't work. Oh, well, gave "them" the VISA, didn't work either. Sent SP a message through FaceBook. No answer. Tried again by e-mail. Got a laconic reply: "The system is off" :confused: from Gianluca... No "thank you for your interest/e-mail, try this site instead..." Weird...

Half an hour ago finally got an answer via FB - here's our new site for bookings - aegeantraveller.gr - quite "primitive" site. Filled out again the details (day and hour), minus credit card #. Got a reply: "You'll immediately receive a booking form via the email provided" - I'm still waiting, not sure I'll book with them in the end :(

Our ship (Equinox) also docks at 07.00, I don't want to worry, so I'm trying to book their 09.45 transfer, and aim to be at the cable car line down at around 16.00, figuring one hour waiting...

Tried this one. Filled all the details of credit card - first Dinners, which are giving double points towards airline tickets - didn't work. Oh, well, gave "them" the VISA, didn't work either. Sent SP a message through FaceBook. No answer. Tried again by e-mail. Got a laconic reply: "The system is off" :confused: from Gianluca... No "thank you for your interest/e-mail, try this site instead..." Weird...

Half an hour ago finally got an answer via FB - here's our new site for bookings - aegeantraveller.gr - quite "primitive" site. Filled out again the details (day and hour), minus credit card #. Got a reply: "You'll immediately receive a booking form via the email provided" - I'm still waiting, not sure I'll book with them in the end :(

Our ship (Equinox) also docks at 07.00, I don't want to worry, so I'm trying to book their 09.45 transfer, and aim to be at the cable car line down at around 16.00, figuring one hour waiting...

Thats very interesting - thanks for the new info. I've not actually tried to book yet as still cannot decide what time to go for but I think probably the 9.45am so I don't spend the next few months worrying about it! We are planning on walking down as no way would I ever in this life consider putting a poor donkey through that climb as I think its nothing short of animal cruelty quite honestly and should be banned.

I just got a reply to my e-mail:

thanks for contacting us,

Yes it's right we provide the transfer by speedboat to Ammoudi bay (Oia port) where there's a bus included in the price, that will bring you up in town dropping you off in the main square of Oia. Free time up to 4 hours (up to the cruise's last tender departure) every hour on the hour at the same place where we dropped you off there's a bus included that brings you back to Fira town where you'll be on your own. Cable car is not included.

25€ per adult

12.50€ per child

No booking form to fill in the credit card's details...:confused:

Ha-pealady, I quite agree with you, no donkeys for us either, so we'll have to factor in the long wait at the cable car. On the other hand, I understood that the steps down are slippery, don't want to risk that either.

About the transfer hour, I think is a safe bet to take the 09.45 - with 2800 on board, and us not taking any "priority to tender boat excursions', we'll have to wait a bit before getting us one....:)

All,

I've been following this string. Great information. I went to the Santorini Planet web site and can't see any link to reserve seats on any boat. I've looked at all their links and can't find anything. What am I missing here?

I'd appreciate any help possible. I resorted to emailing them at santoriniplanet@gmail.com and will see what they say.

All,

I've been following this string. Great information. I went to the Santorini Planet web site and can't see any link to reserve seats on any boat. I've looked at all their links and can't find anything. What am I missing here?

I'd appreciate any help possible. I resorted to emailing them at santoriniplanet@gmail.com and will see what they say.

I can't find any link either. I went to their facebook page and can't find anything there also.