Serenade - New Orleans 3/2014

I'm currently booked on the Serenade out of NOLA on March 15 of next year. I'm getting a bit concerned about the weather. Even though we have a great suite, it's not worth it to me if the weather the first couple of days or on the last sea day is more likely to be cold than warm. Considering switching to the Oasis or Allure for the same dates.

Any words of wisdom from those who have cruised out of New Orleans in March? Thanks in advance. :)

I'm currently booked on the Serenade out of NOLA on March 15 of next year. I'm getting a bit concerned about the weather. Even though we have a great suite, it's not worth it to me if the weather the first couple of days or on the last sea day is more likely to be cold than warm. Considering switching to the Oasis or Allure for the same dates.

Any words of wisdom from those who have cruised out of New Orleans in March? Thanks in advance. :)

I was on the March 30-April 6 Navigator cruise out of NOLA and the day we left 3/30 the temps were 74 and the day we came back 4/5 they were mid 60's (but it was raining some)

Rest of the week was perfect. Its so hard to make a prediction on the weather. If the price is close I'd switch simply, because you were going on Oasis class ship. However, I would not pay a huge price different just due to the weather.

Hope that helps some...

-Michael

We were on the Navigator from New Orleans in December and it was perfect weather. It was 74 both days in New Orleans, the upper 70's the first and last sea day, and well into the 80's in Cozumel, GC, and Falmouth.

It may have been unseasonably warm, but we had absolutely perfect weather all 8 days. I was also concerned about cold weather the first and last days, but it proved not to be a problem.

I've been on 4 cruises in December and January out of Galveston, which has similar weather to New Orleans. For a couple of them it was a little chilly the day we boarded, but by the next day sailing across the Gulf it was very pleasant. Then usually towards the end of the last day of the cruise it would get chilly. No big deal.

There is no way to know what the weather will be like on any particular day in New Orleans in March 2014. I have cruised out of New Orleans in March and was glad to have my jacket while sailing down the Mississippi River in 40-something-degree temperatures. But on that cruise, when we reached Cozumel and warmer climes it was fantastic. I have also seen 80-degree days in New Orleans in March.

Box o' chocolates.

Thanks, everyone, for all the info. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do. Oasis is the same price BUT we have a suite on the Serenade and would have a regular balcony on the Oasis, so to me, Serenade is a better value. Got lots of time to make up my mind, though.

Thanks, everyone, for all the info. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do. Oasis is the same price BUT we have a suite on the Serenade and would have a regular balcony on the Oasis, so to me, Serenade is a better value. Got lots of time to make up my mind, though.

I would go for Serenade, sailing out of New Orleans is something every cruiser should experience at some point :)

I would go for Serenade, sailing out of New Orleans is something every cruiser should experience at some point :)

Definitely agree with this! If you have a few extra days, it's an amazing city to see. Even if you don't, the trip past the French Quarter and down the river is very interesting and unique.

Why :confused:

First off, New Orleans is such a great city for a pre cruise stay.

It's just an incredible experience leaving New Orleans- hearing the music play from the French Quarter as you begin sailing down the Mississippi, and the whole experience of sailing down the Mississippi River most of the first and last night is really something! It's very cool seeing the little towns, roads, and oil rigs as you sail down to the Gulf.

Last year we sailed out of New Orleans in March the same week you are planning to go. Embarkation day was definitely overcast, cool and rainy. One of our sea days was very chilly and windy. Otherwise, all days were good including the one pre-cruise and one post-cruise day we spent in New Orleans. We had a great time in New Orleans.

This year, that same week, we sailed out of FLL and our 4 days pre-cruise in Florida were colder than what we experienced in New Orleans. It may have been unseasonably cold but I am mentioning just because you do never know what the weather will be, so go with the port city, ship and itinerary you like the best.

As a fellow Missourian - here are my thoughts...the weather is always a gamble, but you can bet that it will be warmer than back at home! :D Didn't we have snow in early April this year?

I travel with my husband and 2 children, the cost difference between driving to NO and flying to FLL can be $1,000 +, so take that into consideration too.

I've sailed the Serenade twice, once to Alaska and again out of San Juan for the Southern Caribbean and I can honestly say that I received the best service on that ship. It may be because it is a smaller ship. The other thing that we liked about that class of ship was all the glass including a glass elevator that overlooked the ocean.

Which ever you choose, it will be better than being at work/school. ;)

As a fellow Missourian - here are my thoughts...the weather is always a gamble, but you can bet that it will be warmer than back at home! :D Didn't we have snow in early April this year?

I travel with my husband and 2 children, the cost difference between driving to NO and flying to FLL can be $1,000 +, so take that into consideration too.

I've sailed the Serenade twice, once to Alaska and again out of San Juan for the Southern Caribbean and I can honestly say that I received the best service on that ship. It may be because it is a smaller ship. The other thing that we liked about that class of ship was all the glass including a glass elevator that overlooked the ocean.

Which ever you choose, it will be better than being at work/school. ;)

Yeah, we did have snow. As a matter of fact, that delayed our return from the 8 day on the Indy at the end of March by a day, which was not fun.

I hadn't thought about driving...from what I can see (we're in St. Louis), it would be about a 10 hour drive for me to NOLA, and I'm not sure I'm up for that. Going down there wouldn't be an issue, but I'm pretty sure I'd hate a 10 hour drive after getting off a cruise ship.

And now I'm really confused...I'm looking at 7 day Southern Caribbean on the Jewel out of San Juan for the same dates. Much better itinerary IMO, won't be able to get a suite, but can still get an aft balcony cabin. Just not sure what I want to do yet....

Yeah, we did have snow. As a matter of fact, that delayed our return from the 8 day on the Indy at the end of March by a day, which was not fun.

I hadn't thought about driving...from what I can see (we're in St. Louis), it would be about a 10 hour drive for me to NOLA, and I'm not sure I'm up for that. Going down there wouldn't be an issue, but I'm pretty sure I'd hate a 10 hour drive after getting off a cruise ship.

And now I'm really confused...I'm looking at 7 day Southern Caribbean on the Jewel out of San Juan for the same dates. Much better itinerary IMO, won't be able to get a suite, but can still get an aft balcony cabin. Just not sure what I want to do yet....

Hands down - do the Southern Caribbean. Loved, Loved, Loved it!

Archived