We’re Watching ... and Waiting For Tuesday’s Quantum of the Seas Cruise Ship Reveal

LauraS

The NYC area also has a huge population of tourists that come from all around the globe. If they want to see NYC and the Caribbean without additional flights, this is a nice option.

I agree. It would offer two types of vacation to folks. For us, that would mean seeing a few Broadway shows, NYC shopping and the restaurants the various parts of NYC has to offer, just ten or so miles from Bayonne.

While it's true that CC seems to have embraced the idea that it could be an all-season ship, (which you seem to infer it is not while at the same time conceding it will go to Bayonne after what you claim will be an inaugural season in Florida after having been named in NYC)), CC is easily the largest cruise site on the net and I'm not even sure which would be second. I presume, therefore, that if someone were in the know, they would post here (if they were the sort of person who could simultaneously be in the know and post on chat boards.)

As you say, something will be known on Tuesday. Hopefully, that will include itineraries and home ports.

An all weather ship means just that. Could an all weather ship not sail from Florida :confused:. Besides that, Explorer is not an all weather ship and she sails from Bayonne, so I'm not sure what you are getting at?

Again all I can confirm is the inaugural season. Aside from that my guess is as good as yours. That being said, I will hint that if you look any further than Cruise Critic, there has been nothing from Royal indicating any proof that it will be an all weather ship. That is 99% cruise critic hopeful thinking. It could be, but has not been confirmed in any way shape or form from Royal. Nor has there been any mention of an inward focused ship, which, by the way, Oasis and Allure are.

An all weather ship means just that. Could an all weather ship not sail from Florida :confused:. Besides that, Explorer is not an all weather ship and she sails from Bayonne, so I'm not sure what you are getting at?

I think I'm going to step away now as I think you're arguing with yourself now.

How about a skateboard park/tennis/ jogging

The Yellow highlighted area looks like it is covered with that white synthetic finish that is taking over open spaces

Quantum%20Class%20Top%20Decks.jpg

Arctic , Antarctica , Northwest passage , Iceland , Greenland , Bad Economy in the US , More middle class in China than the US already , India , all weather class of ship , Baby Boomers ,RCI's stated aim of getting into Asia, too many ships in the Baltic ,Med and Caribbean etc.

Where do you think they are going to be used most of the time :rolleyes:

I think that with Oasis and Allure, RCL is so far ahead of the market on design that they know pax will follow them. NYC has tens of millions within a two hour drive. With the Florida market saturated with ships and deal seekers, other markets make more sense. NYC has cheap flights from everywhere.

NYC has cheap flights?!? Really, it has always seemed very expensive to me. Florida has much cheaper flights as there is so much more competition to get tourists down there. Florida also has much cheaper hotels and rental cars all based around tourists.

NYC has cheap flights?!? Really, it has always seemed very expensive to me. Florida has much cheaper flights as there is so much more competition to get tourists down there. Florida also has much cheaper hotels and rental cars all based around tourists.

Hotels are cheaper in FL, I agree. But there are many more tourists in NYC at any given time.

Florida is more comparable with a Caribbean cruise. We have exotic cities and beaches, New York has broadway and landmarks, which is hardly what I want to pair with beaches and fun in the sun. I'm not knocking New York, I have had fun weekends there, I just don't pair that with a tropical cruise. And then there's always the brutal weather most of the year up there compared to the mild climate in Florida.

Hopefully Quantum will be able to cater to everybody instead of a certain niche!

The picture caption: "Construction of new cruise ship "Quantum of the Seas"'

Article: "Papenburg. The Meyer Werft shipyard in Papenburg Emsland is currently working in parallel to three large cruise ships. On Tuesday began the construction of the 4,100 passengers designed "Quantum of the Seas", as a Werftsprecher said. The client is the US shipping company Royal Caribbean International". The 167,000 gross tonnage (GT) large vessel is to be delivered in the October 2014."

This sets her for a November 2013 inaugural.

http://www.welt.de/newsticker/news3/article113406757/Baustart-fuer-neues-Kreuzfahrtschiff-Quantum-of-the-Seas.html

http://news.travel.aol.com/2011/05/25/orlando-vs-new-york-which-city-is-the-tourism-king-poll/

That's actually false. And Orlando isn't even taking into account Miami, Lauderdale, the Keys, Tampa, etc.

This article is 2 years old and it looks like a 10% growth in one year for Orlando which seems like a lot...

They may be close in numbers but I still think there would be very good rationale for basing a newer ship out of the NY/NJ area.

I bet the NY tourists are more likely to add a cruise on to their vacation than the Disney tourists unless you are talking about Disney Cruise Lines

In any event, we shall soon see!

sorry, I've been a little behind b/c of my job and don't have all the details of the "reveal" do we have to have facebook or twitter to find out, of course I know it will be talked about here?

Safe to say that RCCL will have updates on Facebook.

It is a well known fact that Flights from NY hubs have always been on the lower side then most other areas, even Florida. Yes, really. ;)

At the first big splash for Oasis, the announcement consisted of revealing one "neighborhood" or two. That was it. I don't recall how long after that event the ship went on sale but I do recall that the whole ship hadn't been revealed before folks were able to buy.

This is true. All this talk about where the ship will sail from....and most likely that will not even be part of the reveal! :p

The picture caption: "Construction of new cruise ship "Quantum of the Seas"'

Article: "Papenburg. The Meyer Werft shipyard in Papenburg Emsland is currently working in parallel to three large cruise ships. On Tuesday began the construction of the 4,100 passengers designed "Quantum of the Seas", as a Werftsprecher said. The client is the US shipping company Royal Caribbean International". The 167,000 gross tonnage (GT) large vessel is to be delivered in the October 2014."

This sets her for a November 2013 inaugural.

http://www.welt.de/newsticker/news3/article113406757/Baustart-fuer-neues-Kreuzfahrtschiff-Quantum-of-the-Seas.html

I am guessing you meant November 2014 not 2013.

Although she will be finished October 2014 it could be December 2014 before her actual Inaugural ..the weeks in between her leaving the shipyard and actually taking on passengers may be used for may used for Media etc....but I am sure tomorrow we will know the details.

Royal Caribbean to reveal Quantum of the Seas details Tuesday

More than two years after signing an agreement to build a new class of ships, Royal Caribbean International will reveal details about its 4,100-passenger Quantum of the Seas on Tuesday.

The ship, which remains under construction at the Meyer Werft shipyard in Germany, is scheduled to launch in fall of 2014. Sister ship Anthem of the Seas will be delivered six months later.

Tuesday’s announcement, which will include information about the ship’s home port and specifics about the vessel itself, starts at 10 a.m. in New York City. It will stream online at http://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com.

On his blog, Royal Caribbean International President and CEO Adam Goldstein wrote of his excitement over finally getting to talk about the new ship.

“Whoeee!” he wrote “It seems like we have been keeping this a secret forever.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/04/12/3340786/royal-caribbean-to-reveal-quantum.html#storylink=cpy

Florida is more comparable with a Caribbean cruise. We have exotic cities and beaches, New York has broadway and landmarks, which is hardly what I want to pair with beaches and fun in the sun. I'm not knocking New York, I have had fun weekends there, I just don't pair that with a tropical cruise. And then there's always the brutal weather most of the year up there compared to the mild climate in Florida.

Hopefully Quantum will be able to cater to everybody instead of a certain niche!

Exotic? Really? I love Florida but I don't think I have ever heard anyone say it was exotic. Don't get me wrong, I like South Beach and Orlando but they are hardly exotic.

Royal Caribbean to reveal Quantum of the Seas details Tuesday

More than two years after signing an agreement to build a new class of ships, Royal Caribbean International will reveal details about its 4,100-passenger Quantum of the Seas on Tuesday.

The ship, which remains under construction at the Meyer Werft shipyard in Germany, is scheduled to launch in fall of 2014. Sister ship Anthem of the Seas will be delivered six months later.

Tuesday’s announcement, which will include information about the ship’s home port and specifics about the vessel itself, starts at 10 a.m. in New York City. It will stream online at www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com.

On his blog, Royal Caribbean International President and CEO Adam Goldstein wrote of his excitement over finally getting to talk about the new ship.

“Whoeee!” he wrote “It seems like we have been keeping this a secret forever.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/04/12/3340786/royal-caribbean-to-reveal-quantum.html#storylink=cpy

Thanks for the info. I'll be watching. :)

Exotic? Really? I love Florida but I don't think I have ever heard anyone say it was exotic. Don't get me wrong, I like South Beach and Orlando but they are hardly exotic.

Yeah, I don't get it either? :confused:

As far as airfare to NY goes, there's a ton of capacity here which keeps fares relatively in check. Although some are clearly more convenient than others, you have Newark, JFK and LGA all within striking distance (with ground costs of course) of Bayonne.

Florida is more comparable with a Caribbean cruise. We have exotic cities and beaches,

The only exotic beaches in Florida are at WDW. Pity you can't swim in the lakes especially at the Polynesian as that would be exotic.

But the pools at the Dolphin/Swan and Beach/Yacht Club are pretty good and huge. :)

Luckily there's only one more day during which people will repeat what they heard from a friend of a friend, a highly trustworthy source, etc.

I was thinking last night that if Quantum did indeed go to FLL, it would need to either displace Oasis or Allure or it would need a new terminal. Seems a bit late for either option. I don't think the non-Oasis class terminals at Port Everglades would be very enjoyable. They're a pain for Liberty and she isn't even as big as Quantum.

Luckily there's only one more day during which people will repeat what they heard from a friend of a friend, a highly trustworthy source, etc.

I was thinking last night that if Quantum did indeed go to FLL, it would need to either displace Oasis or Allure or it would need a new terminal. Seems a bit late for either option. I don't think the non-Oasis class terminals at Port Everglades would be very enjoyable. They're a pain for Liberty and she isn't even as big as Quantum.

We'll obviously see soon, but it would be rather shocking if they sent their 3 newest and most innovative ships out of the same port... even if she ran some different itinereries (e.g. a 9 night / 5 night or an 8 night / 6 night schedule), she'd still be in port with either Oasis or Allure every week.

"I don't think the non-Oasis class terminals at Port Everglades would be very enjoyable. They're a pain for Liberty and she isn't even as big as Quantum.

Size wise the Quantum class and Freedom class are almost identical but some how they are squeezing 500 more PAXs

Archived