Passage to Eastern Europe - We arrived!

franski

Well - we have our 1st glitch - and I have not been overly impressed with the handling of it.

The air conditioning broke down last evening and will not be fixed until after we get to Budapest....almost 36 hours from now. I get that s**t happens, and it is no ones fault - but I find it hard to believe that parts are completely inaccessible to fix the unit. Even if they fly in the part to Budapest and drive it down to meet the boat they should be able to get something done.

If the part is truly not available, then this should have been communicated right up front. There was no announcement when the unit went down - people found out when they went to the front desk when their cabins heated up, or by word of mouth. Not acceptable, in my books.

And there does not seem to be any attempt to "do something" other than open the doors in the lobby area, and in the front of the lounge. Passengers had to suggest turning the lights down. Large pitchers of ice water/juice should be placed in common areas. What about some fans in the corridors blowing over pans of ice? Offering to swap out the duvet for a single sheet if you find the duvet too hot?

I realize that the crew is working very hard to make the best of a bad situation... But communication up front would have helped to retain trust in the crew - and the company.

Being in Aquarium Class has helped, as our rooms have not heated up as much as rooms on the upper 2 decks. But we also don't have the option of opening a door to help cool things off.

I am a "make lemonade" type of traveller - and realize this could happen on any ship - with any line. I have always said that it isn't the "situation" that is the biggest issue, but is how the company responds.

This is a new ship, and as the owner I would be screaming that there is not the type of quality I want associated with my product. I will be interested to see how things are handled tomorrow.

Fran

Hi - thought I would post a few more thoughts this am. Air conditioning still off, but there is a nice breeze sitting up front in the Aquavit Terrace.

Internet connection is actually quite good. I was concerned about the connectivity in the lower category cabins,but have not had any issues.

Currency was really an unknown here. Five different countries,and 5 different currencies. So far,the only place that would not take euros was central Belgrade. And there were a number of ATMs in the pedestrian area. The guides can tell you which areas will take euros and many will take US dollars. Yesterday in Croatia, there was a souvenir shop that not only took euros and dollars, they made change in the currency you paid in. We arrive in Hungary today - and forints were easy to get,so I am good from this point on.

One thing I have really found to be a benefit on the boat is the presence of a concierge. She has been very busy helping people arrange excursions in Budapest, and is looking for information on an exhibit we are interested in seeing when we arrive.

Anyway - will close off now - and will post again later.... If there are any questions, ask away!

Fran

Fran,,what a bummer heat and no a/c!!!!! You would think a new build would be good to go. We have a philosophy here at home--don't try anything til it's a year old. Still don't care for the way it seems to have been handled. All it takes is "come to the lounge, we have to talk about something" It is much easier to carry thru with an honest evaluation of the situation. We were on a trip in 2012 during the closed Danube during Dec. Our line (AMA) had messages sent to us via email about the situation and where to meet. When we got to Regensberg--one of the few ships that did we lost a bow thruster. It was announced at dinner that the part was on the way from Rotterdam. Part arrived and we were on our about 3 hours later. No one fussed or fumed--we were one of 2 ships that actually made a cruise, not a bus trip. Hopefully by now you are cooler. Pat

Hi Fran,

Have been away from CC for a bit and just found your thread on your trip. We'll be taking that cruise (opposite direction) in the fall. All of your information is so helpful!

We too chose an aquarium class cabin. I'm glad to hear the good report on it but I sure hope we don't have too many of the noises you're experiencing as I am a light sleeper.

Well - we have our 1st glitch - and I have not been overly impressed with the handling of it.

The air conditioning broke down last evening and will not be fixed until after we get to Budapest....almost 36 hours from now. I get that s**t happens, and it is no ones fault - but I find it hard to believe that parts are completely inaccessible to fix the unit. Even if they fly in the part to Budapest and drive it down to meet the boat they should be able to get something done.

If the part is truly not available, then this should have been communicated right up front. There was no announcement when the unit went down - people found out when they went to the front desk when their cabins heated up, or by word of mouth. Not acceptable, in my books.

And there does not seem to be any attempt to "do something" other than open the doors in the lobby area, and in the front of the lounge. Passengers had to suggest turning the lights down. Large pitchers of ice water/juice should be placed in common areas. What about some fans in the corridors blowing over pans of ice? Offering to swap out the duvet for a single sheet if you find the duvet too hot?

I realize that the crew is working very hard to make the best of a bad situation... But communication up front would have helped to retain trust in the crew - and the company.

Being in Aquarium Class has helped, as our rooms have not heated up as much as rooms on the upper 2 decks. But we also don't have the option of opening a door to help cool things off.

I am a "make lemonade" type of traveller - and realize this could happen on any ship - with any line. I have always said that it isn't the "situation" that is the biggest issue, but is how the company responds.

This is a new ship, and as the owner I would be screaming that there is not the type of quality I want associated with my product. I will be interested to see how things are handled tomorrow.

Fran

Dear Fran,

Please accept our apologies for the air conditioning issue that Viking Aegir has experienced—and for our errors in communication. We have always considered your posts on Cruise Critic to be fair, balanced, and informative, and we are taking your feedback to heart.

We’ve received confirmation that the parts needed for the fix will arrive in Budapest early Saturday morning. For the comfort of our guests and crew we very much regret that the parts could not have been made available sooner.

A ship-wide announcement has been scheduled for this evening and guests will enjoy an open bar for the remainder of your time on Viking Aegir. Additionally, all guests will be contacted by Customer Relations upon returning home. We realize that these measures are late, but we sincerely want to improve the current situation and make amends.

If you have specific requests or questions that may help make you more comfortable, please do ask your Program Director, or contact us directly at TellUs@vikingrivercruises.com. Additional feedback from you would also be most welcome via that email address.

Kind regards & sincere apologies,

Viking River Cruises

Dear Fran,

Please accept our apologies for the air conditioning issue that Viking Aegir has experienced—and for our errors in communication. We have always considered your posts on Cruise Critic to be fair, balanced, and informative, and we are taking your feedback to heart.

We’ve received confirmation that the parts needed for the fix will arrive in Budapest early Saturday morning. For the comfort of our guests and crew we very much regret that the parts could not have been made available sooner.

A ship-wide announcement has been scheduled for this evening and guests will enjoy an open bar for the remainder of your time on Viking Aegir. Additionally, all guests will be contacted by Customer Relations upon returning home. We realize that these measures are late, but we sincerely want to improve the current situation and make amends.

If you have specific requests or questions that may help make you more comfortable, please do ask your Program Director, or contact us directly at TellUs@vikingrivercruises.com. Additional feedback from you would also be most welcome via that email address.

Kind regards & sincere apologies,

Viking River Cruises

WOW! I am glad we chose Viking for our first ever river cruise!

Hi - thought I would post a few more thoughts this am. Air conditioning still off, but there is a nice breeze sitting up front in the Aquavit Terrace.

Internet connection is actually quite good. I was concerned about the connectivity in the lower category cabins,but have not had any issues.

Currency was really an unknown here. Five different countries,and 5 different currencies. So far,the only place that would not take euros was central Belgrade. And there were a number of ATMs in the pedestrian area. The guides can tell you which areas will take euros and many will take US dollars. Yesterday in Croatia, there was a souvenir shop that not only took euros and dollars, they made change in the currency you paid in. We arrive in Hungary today - and forints were easy to get,so I am good from this point on.

One thing I have really found to be a benefit on the boat is the presence of a concierge. She has been very busy helping people arrange excursions in Budapest, and is looking for information on an exhibit we are interested in seeing when we arrive.

Anyway - will close off now - and will post again later.... If there are any questions, ask away!

Fran

Fran, what is the exhibit of interest in Budapest? We will be the the first of July

Fran, what is the exhibit of interest in Budapest? We will be the the first of July

Hi - We are interested in seeing the Spy Museum. It is a new exhibit - and apparently only on for this year - so we want to visit it while we are there. Planning on spending most of Sunday in the castle district (Hospital in the Cave, the Labyrinths) so figured the Spy Museum is a good add on.

Fran

Hi Fran,

Have been away from CC for a bit and just found your thread on your trip. We'll be taking that cruise (opposite direction) in the fall. All of your information is so helpful!

We too chose an aquarium class cabin. I'm glad to hear the good report on it but I sure hope we don't have too many of the noises you're experiencing as I am a light sleeper.

Hi - We have figured out the noise (we think....). It appears to be from some pipes that are behind a panel in the corridor. Others have noticed it as well - but all agree it isn't very loud, and hasn't impacted our sleeping.

Fran

Make sure you have a ticket when riding the subway, it is an honor system and it is possible to board without a ticket. However they have inspectors who ride the trains and ask for proof. The fine is much more than the ticket

Really looking forward to the rest of this report. I'm going in Sept, from Budapest to Bucharest (opposite direction of you).

Hope you are having a good time! Would love to see some photos if you can manage the time.

Felicia

Hi everyone -

Sorry for the delay since the last post, but just home last evening, and still trying to get my body back in this time zone. I will continue to post over the next few days - but am back to work tomorrow - :eek: - so may be a bit challenged.

First off - I want to say that Viking has, as per their earlier e-mail - been in touch regarding the air conditioning issue. They have offered a future cruise credit equal to 2 days of your cruise price. In thinking about this, I feel that this is a really fair way to do it... Why should those in Aquarium Class who paid less for their cruise get the same credit as those who paid significantly more money for larger and more expensive cabins? I am one who travels in Aquarium class, and I feel a smaller credit is fair.

Next - I want to comment on Viking's choice of Le Meridien as their hotel in Budapest. The hotel is in an amazing location - less than 2 blocks from Gerbaud, and the top end of the Vaci Utca. It is a reasonable walk to the Chain Bridge (and the funicular up to the Castle district) and to the "Shoes on the Danube" memorial. The rooms are large, and airy (we had a great view of the Elizabeth Park from our window) with a very expansive breakfast buffet. The only downside (and it isn't huge) is that Wifi is only free in the bar area. However - they do have a Business Centre downstairs that is free to use - with printers attached to the computers - so we were able to check in on-line for our return flight.

It was great to have the Viking reps in the main lobby. They were there until after 11 am on the morning that most people flew out - and had great suggestions about travel, restaurants etc.

Must be off - have to make dinner - but will post on Budapest itself later.

Fran

Hi everyone -

Sorry for the delay since the last post, but just home last evening, and still trying to get my body back in this time zone. I will continue to post over the next few days - but am back to work tomorrow - :eek: - so may be a bit challenged.

First off - I want to say that Viking has, as per their earlier e-mail - been in touch regarding the air conditioning issue. They have offered a future cruise credit equal to 2 days of your cruise price. In thinking about this, I feel that this is a really fair way to do it... Why should those in Aquarium Class who paid less for their cruise get the same credit as those who paid significantly more money for larger and more expensive cabins? I am one who travels in Aquarium class, and I feel a smaller credit is fair.

Next - I want to comment on Viking's choice of Le Meridien as their hotel in Budapest. The hotel is in an amazing location - less than 2 blocks from Gerbaud, and the top end of the Vaci Utca. It is a reasonable walk to the Chain Bridge (and the funicular up to the Castle district) and to the "Shoes on the Danube" memorial. The rooms are large, and airy (we had a great view of the Elizabeth Park from our window) with a very expansive breakfast buffet. The only downside (and it isn't huge) is that Wifi is only free in the bar area. However - they do have a Business Centre downstairs that is free to use - with printers attached to the computers - so we were able to check in on-line for our return flight.

It was great to have the Viking reps in the main lobby. They were there until after 11 am on the morning that most people flew out - and had great suggestions about travel, restaurants etc.

Must be off - have to make dinner - but will post on Budapest itself later.

Fran

Thank you for your report. We will be doing the same direction in November. On your way up from Bucharest were there evenings where the ship was docked and you could walk the local town?

Were there any optional tours or were all tours included?

Thank you again,

Robert

This post is going to be entirely on Budapest... one of my favourite cities in Europe. I was so looking forward to returning - and our experiences this visit were just as wonderful as the last time we were there.

We arrived in Budapest in the early am. This was our transition day - so we all needed to be off the boat for it to be cleaned and prepared for the next tour. Similarly, we needed to be kept busy until the rooms were ready for us at Le Meridien.

Viking did offer 2 choices for the city tour. The first was the standard bus tour - as outlined in their brochure. The 2nd was "Budapest Up Close" - a walking tour.

We could not dock in the usual Viking spots by the Chain Bridge. The World Jewish Congress was in town, and the area surrounding the Hotel Intercontinental was completely blocked off. Lots of security present for the entire weekend in the downtown core. We were docked beside the Liberty Bridge - close to the Central Market.

DH and I opted for the walking tour - and it was great. We walked from the boat to the tram station (underground) by the market. We took the tram over to the stop just past the Chain Bridge. We walked across the bridge, took the funicular up to the Castle District and walked around there. We toured the outside courtyard of the Castle (didn't see that last time), the main tourist area and the Fisherman's Bastion. We then took a city bus down to the other side of the Chain Bridge and walked the length of the Vaci Utca to the Market. All of the admission prices (tram, funicular, Fisherman's Bastion, bus) were paid for. We had 75 minutes at the market, then we joined the rest of the tour on the buses. That was a low part of the day for me --> if I realized how little we would see, I would have told our guide that I was going to stay at the market, and walked back to our hotel.

Check in was very organized - and our room was great.

We went to the Pilvax Restaurant for dinner on the recommendation of the Viking Rep in Budapest - and it was a great meal.

On Sunday, we went back to the Castle district with another couple who had not been to Budapest before. We walked back over the bridge and took the funicular up (they had done the bus tour, so had not done this the day before....). The funicular is not cheap - but we figured the time it saved was worth it.

We did go to the Spy Museum. It was interesting, but not as much as expected. Lots of communication equipment through the ages. The most interesting part - at least to me - was the underground caverns the museum is housed in. The museum was only to be a temporary exhibit, but they just received approval to continue on past this year, so were excited about being able to "build" their collection.

We also went to the Hospital in the Cave - and it was very interesting. If we had done that before going to the Spy Museum, we could have saved 1000 forints - as we received a voucher at the Cave Hospital for Spy Museum....Oh well....:rolleyes:

If you are planning to go the Cave Hospital, there are lots of discounts - if you have the proper documentation. They give discounts if you have a Budapest card, are over the age of 62, or are a member of the health care system. I am a nurse, but did not have any ID with me to prove that, so had to pay full price. The tours are guided and leave on the hour. The cave tends to be cool - but they have woolen nurses capes for you to wear if you don't have a coat!!!

We found an Italian Restaurant for dinner. The menu was OK - but the food, when it arrived was very good. Prices quite reasonable as well.

We stayed an extra day, and just relaxed. I found the shop that makes the Chimney cakes. It is just before the underpass on the Vaci Utca - on your right hand side as you are heading towards the market. So good... and yet tasted quite different from the Chimney cakes we bought at the Village Museum in Bucharest. We did go back and spend some more time in the market (I bought a table runner, DH some tin cups with pictures of VWs and Trabants) - and then walked over to the Cave Church. This has changed quite a bit since the last time we were there. Now there is an admission charge, but it now includes a recorded audio guide. The price for the two of us was 1000 forints... very reasonable.

We had lunch at Le Botte restaurant on the Vaci Utca - closer to the market than the pastry store is. They advertised Cream of Asparagus soup on their daily menu - and I was sold. It was SO good.

We had dinner that night at Cafe Kor. The meal was so delicious - looking forward to going back again in September.

We had arranged our own transfer by someone recommended here on cruise critic - and it was very smooth. We had not flown out of Budapest before, so were quite surprised to see the number of shops and restaurants in such a small airport. Lots of options for breakfast (our flight was at 10:40 am).

Anyway - think that is it for now. I will try to post some general observations later.

If you can think of any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Fran

Thank you for your report. We will be doing the same direction in November. On your way up from Bucharest were there evenings where the ship was docked and you could walk the local town?

Were there any optional tours or were all tours included?

Thank you again,

Robert

Hi Robert -

We were docked overnight in Russe, Bulgaria - and a number of people did get off and walk into the town centre. The lighting on the road to get there isn't great - but there were 4 of us, so we felt pretty comfortable. I did speak with another couple who ventured out, but returned when they saw how dark and deserted the road was.

We were also docked in Belgrade until 11 at night. But, the day we were there was a public holiday, so not much open except for some shops along the pedestrian walking area. We cast off by 9 pm (or before) on all the other days.

There was only 1 optional tour along the way... to see a Violin maker. I think that 20 people went. Both optional tours in Budapest were cancelled due to lack of interest.

Fran

Hi Robert -

We were docked overnight in Russe, Bulgaria - and a number of people did get off and walk into the town centre. The lighting on the road to get there isn't great - but there were 4 of us, so we felt pretty comfortable. I did speak with another couple who ventured out, but returned when they saw how dark and deserted the road was.

We were also docked in Belgrade until 11 at night. But, the day we were there was a public holiday, so not much open except for some shops along the pedestrian walking area. We cast off by 9 pm (or before) on all the other days.

There was only 1 optional tour along the way... to see a Violin maker. I think that 20 people went. Both optional tours in Budapest were cancelled due to lack of interest.

Fran

Walking in the dark might be a problem as we will be there in late November. Any nights where you ate in town rather than the ship.

From your answer it sounds like you could do Belgrade if the shops are open.

Was there a late seating for dinner or did everyone eat at the same time.

Sorry for all the questions.

Robert

Fran, did you have to have a reservation for Cafe Kor? Could you walk from the ship or did you need a taxi to get there? Can you give me an idea of prices there?

Thanks,

Sharon

Walking in the dark might be a problem as we will be there in late November. Any nights where you ate in town rather than the ship.

From your answer it sounds like you could do Belgrade if the shops are open.

Was there a late seating for dinner or did everyone eat at the same time.

Sorry for all the questions.

Robert

Hi Robert -

Very glad to be able to answer any questions you have.

There is only one seating on river cruises - although it is open. Many people "find" a table/area they are happy with, as the staff in the dining room work in a zone (and many have their "favourite" waiter/waitress...)

You could do Belgrade if the stores were open. Restaurants would be open - but don't remember any specific ones, as we were happy to eat on the boat. It was VERY hot, so we were glad to get back into the air conditioning.

Fran

Archived