Rome or Venice?

cruiselove1

I have been on numerous cruises, all to the Caribbean and Hawaii, and am excited to be going on my first cruise to the Greek Isles in August. It is a 12 day embarking in Rome, and disembarking in Venice. I am limited in time and resources, so I would like to know which port to stay an extra day in, as I am only limited to one extra day. Should I choose Rome or Venice???? Thank you.

I have been on numerous cruises, all to the Caribbean and Hawaii, and am excited to be going on my first cruise to the Greek Isles in August. It is a 12 day embarking in Rome, and disembarking in Venice. I am limited in time and resources, so I would like to know which port to stay an extra day in, as I am only limited to one extra day. Should I choose Rome or Venice???? Thank you.

I've visited each city three times. For one day, I would choose Venice.

When arriving in Rome, the drive from the airport to the city is about 45 minutes. When leaving for the ship, the trip to the cruise dock is about 1-1/2 hours. So much of your short amount of time in Rome would be travel.

In Venice, the ship docks on the outskirts of the city, so little time is wasted getting to the main parts of the city. I recommend taking a water taxi to your hotel for the maximum scenic opportunities and ease. When leaving for the airport, the trip is a real treat if you take a water taxi, about 1/2 hour to the mainland.

Although Rome is a wonderful city to visit, it is very spread out and would be difficult to see all the highlights in one day. Venice is a one of a kind place to visit, and very easy to get around to see the highlights. I would always choose Venice first, especially if I had a limited amount of time.

I would do Rome for a couple of reasons.

If your cruise begins in Rome the port is 90 minutes away so if you fly in that day you won't have time to see Rome. You should.

But the other reason is you should not fly in the day of the cruise. It's too risky.

If you could I would spend a couple of days in Rome pre cruise and one in Venice post cruise.

Keith

I have been to both Rome and Venice several times. Rome has a significant amount of things to see, do, and enjoy. There is much more than can be experienced in a single day. Venice is very unique and there is probably is not another place like it. Unlike Rome, Venice can be experienced in a one day. Soooo, given that you have only one day to add, you might want to spend it in Venice and save Rome for later when you have more time.

Now, on the other hand, if you worry greatly about flying into FCO the morning of your cruise, then that would make you lean towards spending the extra day in Rome. Also, remember that flying out of Atlanta will be a red-eye so you will be arriving in Rome in the morning of the next day. If your cruise leaves Saturday morning you would be boading in Atlanta on Friday. If you want to add a day in Rome, you would board in Atlanta on Thursday. We (wife and I) always fly in the same day ("same day" meaning we take the red-eye and arrive the morning of the cruise). Have done that through FCO and other European hubs several times. We don't have major concerns with this approach, but many others on these boards think otherwise. It is a choice you have to make.

I would choose Rome because I always like to get to the port a day early. There is tons to do in Rome and you can use embarkation morning to see a few sites before heading to the ship.

I generally fly in the morning of embarkation, that is not a concern to me. However, I do realize that with such a long flight, I will have to fly in the day before to arrive for day of embarkation. I just mainly need advice for deciding between Rome and Venice for the extra day. I wish I could do both, but do not have enough vacation time off from work. I feel totally out of my element going on a Mediterranian cruise. I could do the Caribbean blindfolded, I have done so many of them, and have loved them all!!! It is just time to try something new. Thanks to all for the advice!!!!

This is a hard one...... We've been all over Italy a number of times and really love both cities.

With careful pre-planning, you can see a lot in Rome and it is so spectacular, I know I'd feel cheated to have been there and not seen much of anything.

Pick Rome. And enjoy every moment. It's a huge, busy, active city but oh so special.

I would choose Venice ..... there is a LOT to see, but because Venice is pretty compact, one can see a lot in one day.

As has been mentioned, Rome has MANY amazing things to see, and the city is very spread out, and one needs more than one day to even see the highlights.

Last October I flew to Venice, arriving the morning of the day before boarding the Ruby Princess. I spent much of the day exploring Venice. The following day I boarded the ship, which was staying in port there until the following afternoon. That gave mo several more hours to sightsee. The morning of our sailing, I took a ship's excursion to the Doge's Palace and St Marks Basilica. At 1PM, the ship sailed out of port, gliding slowly down the Guidecca Canal to the Adriatic Sea, as the music of Andrea Bocelli was played over the ship's speaker system. Goosebump time!!! It's something I will never forget.

I generally fly in the morning of embarkation, that is not a concern to me. However, I do realize that with such a long flight, I will have to fly in the day before to arrive for day of embarkation. I just mainly need advice for deciding between Rome and Venice for the extra day. I wish I could do both, but do not have enough vacation time off from work. I feel totally out of my element going on a Mediterranian cruise. I could do the Caribbean blindfolded, I have done so many of them, and have loved them all!!! It is just time to try something new. Thanks to all for the advice!!!!

You are going to like the Med. Don't agonize too much over Rome vs Venice. Whatever you decide, you will have a fantastic time.

However, one additional item you might want to confirm. I recall being on one cruise that overnighted in Venice. If that is the case for you, then definately add the extra day in Rome.

If?? it's only one day you can use up - I would go a day early for the cruise, thus Rome !! I would sooner be sure I made the cruise than worry about which city I would like to visit for a 'day' (before or after).

I've been to Rome and Venice a number of times. Yes, Rome has amazing historical sights to see, but it is a big, noisy, modern, busy city. In a day you could do maybe 1-2 of the major sights in-depth or take a quick day tour and see a passing glance at many sights. Venice takes me back hundreds of years. Venice is a walking city. You can walk to the major sights and on the way see the old homes, businesses, little courtyards, bridges and churches while going down small winding alleys and passages. Venice has old-world charm and gets my vote.

If it weren't for the fact that it is crazy to fly in the date of the cruise, I'd say spend the day in Venice -- but on your schedule you should pick Rome.

However (and I know you believe your time is limited), what you should do is fly in two days early so you can see a fair bit of Rome, and then take an extra day at the end for Venice. I say this because I think you are crazy for flying across the Atlantic and then cheating yourself out of two of the most amazing cities in the world. Tell your boss, or your mother in law, or your dog sitter, or whoever - that they just have to suck it up and do without you for two more days.

You are going to like the Med. Don't agonize too much over Rome vs Venice. Whatever you decide, you will have a fantastic time.

However, one additional item you might want to confirm. I recall being on one cruise that overnighted in Venice. If that is the case for you, then definately add the extra day in Rome.

Yes, that is the case indeed. My cruise will overnight in Venice. I just didn't want to make the wrong decision. I may not ever make it there again, ya know? Thanks so much for the advice. I am looking forward to my cruise. I am sure that it will be glorious!!!

If it weren't for the fact that it is crazy to fly in the date of the cruise, I'd say spend the day in Venice -- but on your schedule you should pick Rome.

However (and I know you believe your time is limited), what you should do is fly in two days early so you can see a fair bit of Rome, and then take an extra day at the end for Venice. I say this because I think you are crazy for flying across the Atlantic and then cheating yourself out of two of the most amazing cities in the world. Tell your boss, or your mother in law, or your dog sitter, or whoever - that they just have to suck it up and do without you for two more days.

It's kinda hard to tell your boss, that. I wouldn't have a job when I get back. Plus, I don't have the extra money to spend to add another 2 additional days. Wish I did!!! I am a single income household, that doesn't need to be telling her boss to suck it up, if you can understand that.

Yes, that is the case indeed. My cruise will overnight in Venice. I just didn't want to make the wrong decision. I may not ever make it there again, ya know? Thanks so much for the advice. I am looking forward to my cruise. I am sure that it will be glorious!!!

The first time you are in Venice it is very easy to get lost. For an easy way to move around, check out the water buses that go back and forth along the grand canal. They will take you by some of the popular areas like Realto Bridge and S. Marco Square.

It's kinda hard to tell your boss, that. I wouldn't have a job when I get back. Plus, I don't have the extra money to spend to add another 2 additional days. Wish I did!!! I am a single income household, that doesn't need to be telling her boss to suck it up, if you can understand that.

Uh, yeah. Not exactly a wise career move to do that.

Cruiselove, congrats on your cruise choice. It will be a fantastic adventure that will capture your heart and spirit.

Now, with just one day, Venice would be your best bet. Venice is a truly beautiful city, rich in history and a paradise for camera bugs! Having said that, it really only takes a good day to "see" Venice. On the other hand, with just a day you could only hope to see enough of Rome to tell you going back is a must!

Have a great time and let us know how your experience went.

We've been to both and I would vote Rome.

Which of the two places is on your bucket list? It really depends on what you would like to see and do. Personal choice for everybody. Colosseum, the Forum, St. Peter's, Sistine Chapel vs . St. Mark's, Doges Palace, canals... really you can't go wrong with either city.

Of course you do not want to jeopardize your employment, but as a retired manager myself I find it hard to accept that an employer would not allow a couple of extra days off (probably without pay) for an employee going on a rare special vacation especially if it were proposed perhaps that some unpaid overtime or weekend work would be put in. I am aware of many people who have don this - and actually none who have made such a request and been turned down. That is why I made the suggestion.

Of course you do not want to jeopardize your employment, but as a retired manager myself I find it hard to accept that an employer would not allow a couple of extra days off (probably without pay) for an employee going on a rare special vacation especially if it were proposed perhaps that some unpaid overtime or weekend work would be put in. I am aware of many people who have don this - and actually none who have made such a request and been turned down. That is why I made the suggestion.

I think the way things are worded can sometimes result in unintended communication. I am also retired with over 30 years of management experience. I also would have likely responded positively to a businesslike request for unpaid time off. Not so much to someone telling me to suck it up because they are taking more time off than they have in the bank. Also not so sure about weekend work as my State's ovetime laws can make comp time off difficult.

I think the way things are worded can sometimes result in unintended communication. I am also retired with over 30 years of management experience. I also would have likely responded positively to a businesslike request for unpaid time off. Not so much to someone telling me to suck it up because they are taking more time off than they have in the bank. Also not so sure about weekend work as my State's ovetime laws can make comp time off difficult.

You are right - I was really thinking mother-in-law or dog sitter when I used that unfortunate term. I do find it extraordinary that any manager would not allow a couple of days off without pay --- a pretty good way of creating a happy and much more productive employee. Of course, this really is not my business, so my apologies if I offended.

Archived