The average RCCL customer....?

I can guarantee that I am not the average cruiser. Divorced, mid 30s, no kids, solo female cruiser. :cool: I am middle class earner and save all year for a cruise. I can feel awkward cruising solo when couples abound.

We have cruises 2 with Princess and the rest with Royal (3 ) soon to be 6 next year from Sydney and except for the 2006 Panama where the min age was 55, the remaining cruises have seen from 30 years of age & up. We don't cruise less then 2 weeks.

I think it also depends on the time of year, itinerary, and age of the ship. We did a cruise on the Radiance out of Hawaii last year in April and the average age was 65. Factor in if kids are in or out of school (summer), crusing during or near a holiday and you'll get a mixed bag. On the Allure of the Seas it was a like the United Nations with people from all over the world. :-) Loved listening to all the accents in the elevator.

I can guarantee that I am not the average cruiser. Divorced, mid 30s, no kids, solo female cruiser. :cool: I am middle class earner and save all year for a cruise. I can feel awkward cruising solo when couples abound.

I wouldn't feel awkward, we always see a good few solo travellers. Maybe RCCL should do a solo cruiser meet and mingle.... That's going on the assumption that the solo traveller wants to meet others on holiday, he/she may not want to.

Even on a 7-Night cruise, the demographic can vary greatly depending on the time of year.

We're early 50's, and like to cruise twice a year. Up until I retired last June, those cruises were all during school vacation weeks (primarily Spring Break) because I was an elementary school principal and that was the only time I could travel.

Last month, we took our first "off-peak" 7-Night cruise on the Mariner from Galveston. The passenger load was completely different from what we're accustomed to. There were about 120 children (0-18) as compared to 1,000 plus, and I would say the majority of the passengers were couples ranging from 30's-80's. As far as adults, the lower end of the range seemed about the same, but there were many more elderly couples than we're used to seeing at Spring Break.

We never really had any problems with out-of-control Spring Break behavior, but there was a completely different vibe on the ship than there is when 1/3 of the passengers are under 18!

I think it depends on several factors.

I'm early 50s. When I cruised with my daughter - mid-20s - on Serenade out of San Juan a few years ago, the average cruiser was 40s-50s and young at heart. Very few families with young children, but that class of ship isn't really geared toward that demographic. My daughter did find a number of college-age kids she connected with, but we saw fewer than a dozen kids under the age of 12.

However, on Freedom of the Seas out of Florida, the ship was PACKED with families cruising with young kids. That class of ship, as well as the Florida departure, is a big draw for families.

Our first cruise was on Enchantment several years ago. We made several comments about how there were almost no kids on the ship, or so we thought. Toward the end of the cruise while sitting in the theater waiting for the show to start, in came about 30 kids (5 - 10 years old?) all dressed in pirate outfits. They did a little skit on stage about taking over the ship. We were amazed that all of these kids (and obviously this group didn't include all of the kids on the ship) were on the ship and we had never seen them. I think the kids are probably doing kid oriented activities and the adults are doing adult oriented activities and the two seldom cross paths.

One of our cruises, there was a man, looked to be in his 80's, and he wore nothing but a suit day & night. Another crusie, all adults except for a 2 year old boy who was so well behaved. During the evening, his parents were sitting in the Atrium ( Princess) listening to the music and he was visiting the tables. He was very enjoyable to watch.

It's all over the box. We started cruising when my daughter was fifteen. We always cruised as a family. Now we are empty nesters, both retired early fiftys. No two cruises have been alike. Also certain areas of the ship are set aside for suite passengers and diamond and above. These areas tend to have a different demographic than the rest of the ship.

Archived