The average RCCL customer....?

We are in our 30's with kids! I know the old rumor is its newly weds and nearly deads but I fail to see this . as far as party crowds or not I think it depends on which ship you are on!

The cruises I have been on seem to be full of families and groups....? Plus couples young and old. I guess that says a lot for RCCL; they appeal to all ages!

Not really responding to the OP's question, but I found this in RCI's annual report. This is from the cruiseline's perspective how they think they are marketing themselves:

Royal Caribbean International is positioned at the upper end of the contemporary segment of the cruise vacation industry, generally characterized by cruises that are seven nights or shorter and feature a casual ambiance as well as a variety of activities and entertainment venues. We believe that the quality of the Royal Caribbean International brand also enables it to attract guests from the premium segment, which is generally characterized by cruises that are seven to 14 nights and appeal to the more experienced guest who is usually more affluent. This allows Royal Caribbean International to achieve market coverage that is among the broadest of any of the major cruise brands in the cruise vacation industry. Royal Caribbean International’s strategy is to attract an array of vacationing guests by providing a wide variety of itineraries and cruise lengths with multiple innovative options for onboard dining, entertainment and other onboard activities.

As a bonus, this is what they have for Celebrity:

Celebrity Cruises is positioned within the premium segment of the cruise vacation industry. Celebrity Cruises delivers a modern luxury cruise vacation experience that appeals to experienced cruisers, resulting in a strong base of loyal repeat guests. The brand also appeals to vacationers who have not yet cruised who seek to explore destinations throughout the world and would enjoy the high quality, service-focused and modern luxury experience the brand offers. Celebrity Cruises’ strategy is to deliver an intimate experience onboard upscale ships that offer luxurious accommodations, a high staff-to-guest ratio, fine dining, personalized service, extensive spa facilities, and unique onboard activities and entertainment.

I think it depends on where your cruising to, and for how long. The 3-4 night cruises in the Bahamas have a lot more younger, college aged people looking for a few days to party. The longer cruises, to Alaska & Bermuda for example have a bigger mix of older & younger cruisers. Of course there are always the outliers...I for example am in my mid 20's, yet I prefer a longer, quiet cruise. If I want to drink for an entire weekend, I'd rather stay home and drink and save the money.

I think it depends on several factors.

I'm early 50s. When I cruised with my daughter - mid-20s - on Serenade out of San Juan a few years ago, the average cruiser was 40s-50s and young at heart. Very few families with young children, but that class of ship isn't really geared toward that demographic. My daughter did find a number of college-age kids she connected with, but we saw fewer than a dozen kids under the age of 12.

However, on Freedom of the Seas out of Florida, the ship was PACKED with families cruising with young kids. That class of ship, as well as the Florida departure, is a big draw for families.

My feeling is that the "average" RCL cruiser is young (either chronologically or mentally) enough to appreciate the FUN stuff like the belly flop contest, sexy-legs contest and Quest game, while being mature enough (again, either chronologically or mentally) to appreciate a more classy atmosphere than the one provided by Carnival. (I say this as a once very satisfied Carnival cruiser. I just discovered I prefer Royal.)

The new mega-ships have added an entirely different dimension to the debate. I suspect the folks who are drawn to vacation on the newer RCL ships could be entirely different than those of us who prefer to sail on the smaller ships. Maybe there's an "average Radiance Class cruiser" and an "average mega-ship cruiser". :confused:

I'm early 50s. When I cruised with my daughter - mid-20s - on Serenade out of San Juan a few years ago, the average cruiser was 40s-50s and young at heart. Very few families with young children, but that class of ship isn't really geared toward that demographic. My daughter did find a number of college-age kids she connected with, but we saw fewer than a dozen kids under the age of 12.

However, on Freedom of the Seas out of Florida, the ship was PACKED with families cruising with young kids. That class of ship, as well as the Florida departure, is a big draw for families.

My feeling is that the "average" RCL cruiser is young (either chronologically or mentally) enough to appreciate the FUN stuff like the belly flop contest, sexy-legs contest and Quest game, while being mature enough (again, either chronologically or mentally) to appreciate a more classy atmosphere than the one provided by Carnival. (I say this as a once very satisfied Carnival cruiser. I just discovered I prefer Royal.)

The new mega-ships have added an entirely different dimension to the debate. I suspect the folks who are drawn to vacation on the newer RCL ships could be entirely different than those of us who prefer to sail on the smaller ships. Maybe there's an "average Radiance Class cruiser" and an "average mega-ship cruiser". :confused:

Good points.

I agree it definitely depends on the cruise destination & timing.

Our first RCCL cruise from Sydney around the Pacific Islands was 12 nights during school holidays, not too many kids though & the crowd was a good mix with the majority being between 35-55 at a guess.

The 2nd cruise to New Zealand was 14 days at the very end of school holidays & the crowd was very noticeably dominated by seniors 60+, lots of mobility scooters, walking frames etc.

So for us the demographics were like chalk & cheese.

We are hoping on our next Alaska & Hawaiian cruises it will be a good mix.

We expect an older crowd on the Trans Pacific to Sydney as it's 17 days, although it is in Australian school holidays so you never know!

I feel like Royal markets itself to appeal to families. I do not have young children, so a lot of that does not interest me. I however, love Royal Caribbean, but I choose cruises where/when I believe the "average" cruiser will be more like myself - middle aged, not travelling with young children, enjoys a good time, but not excessive partying.

perhaps afluent given their pricing models...we are middle income earners with a family of 5 so money is tight...if we can manage it we like to take 1 big holiday a year. This will be our 3rd cruise, and first on Royal. We are paying a few hundred dollars extra wanting to see if our experience is worth the extra money.

Carnival has been fine for us, but we are curious....

perhaps afluent given their pricing models...we are middle income earners with a family of 5 so money is tight...if we can manage it we like to take 1 big holiday a year. This will be our 3rd cruise, and first on Royal. We are paying a few hundred dollars extra wanting to see if our experience is worth the extra money.

Carnival has been fine for us, but we are curious....

You are going to LOVE the Freedom. We gave Carnival a try last summer and it was definitely a different cruising experience. With that being said, we would definitely cruise Carnival again! Ports and cost are very important deciding factors in our final decision!

Agree with this post. I also think it is a combination of where and when. Caribbean cruises that I have been on there were lots of families, many with younger (under the age of 12) children and it was during the shoulder season' one cruise was in September and the other in mid November. Not a ton of children as summer and spring break cruises I am sure, but there was a balance of families and couples of all ages.

Last cruise was Western Mediterranean out of Barcelona in June, 7 nights. We were expecting more families but were surprised that there weren't as many children on this cruise. It made sense by the end of the cruise, as the intinerary was very port intensive and everything was expensive due to it being Europe and everything was paid off-ship in €uro. On top of that the ports were very historical in nature, probably not that appealing to children under the age of 12 anyway.

The cruise had a lot of couples, mostly age 30+. Hubby and I felt we didn't get as good of service as we were on the younger side of the passenger age. A few times in the MDR we felt almost discriminated against because we look younger than we actually are, and received poor service from the same waiter that was also serving a couple next to us in their 50s. They got tons of attention and help.

Anyway, my answer is simply RCI seems to appeal mostly for the age 30-60 crowd. You see some young families and young couples here and there and then a few really elderly people every now and then. The shorter the cruise, the easier it is for younger folks to afford the cheaper fares... especially for destinations like Mexico and Jamaica.

When I cruised with my daughter - mid-20s - on Serenade out of San Juan a few years ago, the average cruiser was 40s-50s and young at heart. Very few families with young children, but that class of ship isn't really geared toward that demographic. My daughter did find a number of college-age kids she connected with, but we saw fewer than a dozen kids under the age of 12.

Interesting.... What time of year did you cruise out of San Juan? We're booked on the Jewel at spring break and I'm wondering what the number of kids will be. My kids are both under 12, but they had no interest in AO, so I don't think it will matter to them if there were other kids. They might like not having as many kids on the rock wall or putt putt. It might be a good thing.

And adding an answer to the original question, we're in our 40's with elementary school-age kids. So we cross multiple demographics. I don't think we're an average cruiser for any line because of that.

Archived