Sleep apnea and extension cords

dude_hdt

I've read that extension cords are a no no to bring on the ship. However, the distance from the wall plug to the head of the bed isn't always short enough to accommodate my sleep apnea machine. I've brought on cord in the past and never had it confiscated. I do desire to follow the rules though.

How are others dealing with this?

Hubby keeps a 12ft cord in his cpap case and has never had problem (thank God) :D His Dr. told him in the Caribbean there is really no need to put water in the machine since it is humid enough. So he doesnt bother with it and hasnt noticed a difference.

Oh I've been told its good to bring duct tape to tape the cord to the carpet since the outlet is on the opposite wall. We plan to do that this time.

I don't tape down the my extension cord, I just put it and the machine away when not in use.

I've read that extension cords are a no no to bring on the ship. However, the distance from the wall plug to the head of the bed isn't always short enough to accommodate my sleep apnea machine. I've brought on cord in the past and never had it confiscated. I do desire to follow the rules though.

How are others dealing with this?

I keep a long (3 prong - orange) cord in my suitcase and a multi-plug adapter in my cpap bag (carry on). I have never been able to get distilled water from Carnival (Royal Caribbean and Princess - yes) so I bring a gallon on with me. You don't have to put water in the chamber if you don't have problem with your nasal passages drying. I unplug the machine each morning so that the steward does not have the cord in his way for cleaning. Good luck. :cool:

Well, here is the scoop. If you need a power cord, for medical reason's ( CPAP machine ), put it in the case with your machine, or your carry-on,as they are allowed for Medical reason's. The guy i spoke with, a Carnival, rep.suggested to call Carnival, and a note, would be entered on your booking,during our conversation, i was asked if i needed distilled, water,leading me to beleive it is available.

And the number is --1-800-438-6744, their main #, when prompted, enter

ext- 70425, register your info, and need's, and all will be fine

Hope this help's :)

Happy cruzing.;)

Since you are on a ship and the air conditioning is running it would be the same conditions as home. My husband has tried to go without one time and was so terribly miserable without the humidifier. We have never had a problem with carrying an extension cord. We have however each time we are cruising (we cruise at least 2 or more times a year -most years more)and the steward sees his machine been given an extension cord which my electrician husband deems more unsafe than his and still uses his own.

Hubby keeps a 12ft cord in his cpap case and has never had problem (thank God) :D His Dr. told him in the Caribbean there is really no need to put water in the machine since it is humid enough. So he doesnt bother with it and hasnt noticed a difference.

I carry my extension cord in my C-Pap container. On the Conquest recently my cord was too short, but you can get a heavy-duty cord from the Purser's Desk. You have to put down a $25 deposit (apparently a lot of people were stealing the cords) but you get it back when you return the cord the last day.

My "research" said that tap water is absolutely fine for the length of a cruise. I use distilled water at home, but have never had any kind of problem with the tap water, and you're not using it long enough to create any kind of mineral residue. It sure beats lugging a gallon of water around with you or trying to get room service to provide for you.

I've been using a V-Pap or a C-Pap for about 7 years now.

Thanks for the replies. I usually bring my machine as a carry on along with other essentials but pack the cord in the check in to save weight from lugging the bag around. I guess I've been lucky to not have it confiscated. I was thinking of packing the cord as carry on this time but now concerned about x-ray operator confiscating it. Good to know medical reason would suffice.

I have forgotten in the past and borrowed from the room attendant also.

Luckily I've weened myself from the water to humidify the air so less space and weight and complexity. 21 days until Magic!!!

Normally, tap water on a ship is distilled water since the ship makes it's own water. On ocassion, they may take on some water at a US port. My wife has had abosolutely no problems using the ship's water on several crsuies.

In case this helps... I just got back two days ago (unfortunately) from a back to back on the Liberty and Victory. I carried on my CPAP machine on the way down, but put it in the checked luggage on the way back. I wasn't sure what to take, I had borrowed an extension cord from the room steward on our last cruise (on the Dream a year and a half ago). This time I took a 6' indoor extension cord (2 prong), and a 10' outdoor 3 prong cord (both were packed in my checked luggage). Both rooms were balcony rooms, on both ships. I had the side of the bed closest to the balcony both times (furthest from the outlet). I ended up using the 10' cord on the Liberty, and the 6' cord on the Victory. I set the machine on the floor next to the bed while I slept. I unplugged it and pushed it under the bed, along with the cord, during the day. I used bottled drinking water and did not see any mineral buildup after the 12 days of cruising. The power supply on my CPAP machine probably has about 6' of cord on it, without an extension cord. I forgot to mention, the Liberty only had one outlet under the mirror, but the Victory had two. That is why I could use a shorter cord, because the second outlet was closer to where I had my machine.

Just,on a side note, when i spoke to the Carnival,rep, he told me, yes, they do have some, power cord's on-board their ship's, but they can be limited, thus subject to availablity. On, the question,as to how long,that as stated,depend's where the nearest plug,is.:confused:

Archived