Increased Costs for 2014

MandynJim

Has anyone else noticed that prices for 2014 are sky high? Just came back from the Dream and the prices for 2014 are more than double what we paid. I know their stock has taken a hit but that seems an over the top increase in prices. Do you think they will come down?

Prices seem to be higher across the board. I have been looking at some 7 day cruises in December and the Carnival itineraries are higher than I expected, and a cruise I was watching on NCL has gone up $50.00 pp in the past month.

I would have thought that with so many new ships across the industry, that prices on some of the older ships would be lower.

They may also be testing the "waters" to see if higher rates will stick. With the world economies improving I am sure they expect an increase in cruise travelers. If that can't fill the boat at the higher prices they can always cut the rates to today's rates and than that will draw in people who think they are getting a bargain.

They have to eventually make up for all the price breaks they're giving this year. I know we received at least 3 reductions (around 15% or so) in our current cruise fare before making final payment.

Has anyone else noticed that prices for 2014 are sky high? Just came back from the Dream and the prices for 2014 are more than double what we paid. I know their stock has taken a hit but that seems an over the top increase in prices. Do you think they will come down?

Prices are set by market. CCL could raise prices $100 across the board and keep them there, but they'd sell semi full. As time goes on, they will drop. For early savers, they'd rather give you $400 obc than let you keep $400 in your wallet- that $400 obc will still make CCL $, in the form of overprice drinks and tours....

The Dream Eastern itinerary for mid-July 2014 is up just slightly ($30 pp for Early Saver) than when we booked last fall for our upcoming cruise on Dream, for the 1st/2nd pax. At least that's the case for the Cove balcony that we will be in.

Prices always reflect supply and demand. If people don't book, you'll see prices drop - like they did for our upcoming cruise.

Prices are set by market. CCL could raise prices $100 across the board and keep them there, but they'd sell semi full. As time goes on, they will drop. For early savers, they'd rather give you $400 obc than let you keep $400 in your wallet- that $400 obc will still make CCL $, in the form of overprice drinks and tours....

Very well stated and a keen understanding about Carnival's business model.

The bar industry average gross profit on liquor is 81%. Carnival no doubt has this around 84-85% with their purchasing power and buying product in the islands at a much lower tax rate.

If one were to spend a $200 obc on liquor based drinks, that's only $30 out of Carnival's pocket. But the perception of the cruiser is that it's $200. Since perception is reality, well you know the rest....

If they begin leaning heavily on offering obc as a way to close the sale, expect onboard prices on drinks, specialty restaurants, tours, spa, etc to increase as a way to absorb this 'free' obc.

My sisters want to take my parents on a cruise next summer and for a family of four the prices are over 4,000 for a balcony. We paid right around 2,000 for our cruise last week on the Dream. Just seems like a big jump. We can't afford to pay our fare and then my parents fare too with these type of prices.

I booked our cruise just last March for a cruise on the Sunshine in March of 2014. I noticed that the prices jumped about $200 in early May, so I'm glad I booked when I did. I booked Early Saver, so my price is locked in!

Ours is higher for 2014 also than 2013 rate we saw..But also saw rates in 2013 drop last month before cruise time. I would bet they will drop some before sail time..Just more OBC to take advantage of. We got over $900 in OBC this year already from price drops for our 2013 cruises. If not the rates are still on par at a good rate.

They may also be testing the "waters" to see if higher rates will stick. With the world economies improving I am sure they expect an increase in cruise travelers. If that can't fill the boat at the higher prices they can always cut the rates to today's rates and than that will draw in people who think they are getting a bargain.

for this reason we booked Early Saver on our next two cruises... here's hoping for some OBC :D

With still 9 ships itineraries to come out, who knows what will happen when they finally do.

Comparing a cruise I took this past October to the same itinerary on a different ship,same timeframe, same class..same cabin... $100 more per person.

I think it is really more that prices for 2013 are down in the toilet. I think 2014's prices are more realistic.

Agree! ^^^^^^^^

This years low prices are the result of all the issues Carnival was having back-to-back-to-back. Remember the 4-day cruises for $150? I saw A LOT of blue room keys on my recent cruise, so lots of people are taking advantage of the much lower prices this year, but 2014 prices look like the normal price to me. <------Just my opinion.

I think it is really more that prices for 2013 are down in the toilet. I think 2014's prices are more realistic.

I wouldn't say they were always down in the toilet. Our cruise in July is around $1000 for two now than we booked it. Certainly not cheap today.

Agree! ^^^^^^^^

This years low prices are the result of all the issues Carnival was having back-to-back-to-back. Remember the 4-day cruises for $150? I saw A LOT of blue room keys on my recent cruise, so lots of people are taking advantage of the much lower prices this year, but 2014 prices look like the normal price to me. <------Just my opinion.

To me, this says that loyal CCL cruisers, fed up with the cutbacks, have left the cruise line. It used to be that half the ship had gold cards, a few had platinum cards. They'd have the repeaters party in the theater, it would be full and they'd have it twice to accomodate everyone. You know there were a lot of repeaters as the theater would be full.

Take away repeat cruisers and you have less people wanting to sail CCL. Less people= less demand. Less demand means lower prices, lower prices= less profit.

CCL can do all the cheap email promos it wants, but it will have a hard time bringing back the loyal guests. Not everyone can pack up up the minivan and drive to port, a lot of us have to fly out to go on a cruise and we are at the point now where airfare can be as much or more than the cruise itself. If one is spending that much $ to get there, they'll likely want to spend a few hundred more for a better cruise line.

To me, this says that loyal CCL cruisers, fed up with the cutbacks, have left the cruise line. It used to be that half the ship had gold cards, a few had platinum cards. They'd have the repeaters party in the theater, it would be full and they'd have it twice to accomodate everyone. You know there were a lot of repeaters as the theater would be full.

Take away repeat cruisers and you have less people wanting to sail CCL. Less people= less demand. Less demand means lower prices, lower prices= less profit.

CCL can do all the cheap email promos it wants, but it will have a hard time bringing back the loyal guests. Not everyone can pack up up the minivan and drive to port, a lot of us have to fly out to go on a cruise and we are at the point now where airfare can be as much or more than the cruise itself. If one is spending that much $ to get there, they'll likely want to spend a few hundred more for a better cruise line.

You could be right, but you're writing this like I said that the entire ship was blue key cards......NOT the case. There were plenty of gold, some red and I even saw a few platinum cards. I really didn't notice any cutbacks, other than no calypso band on lido. I do admit that Carnival has to step up the game with some of their past guests, but there were a whole lot of loyal guests on the ship I just got off of and I'm basing what I said previously to THAT particular ship.

Or maybe the prices are normal, but right now prices are the lowest I have seen them since Ive been cruising in 2006.

Prices right now are abnormally low.. not that prices in the future unusually high.

Carnival's earnings warning on Monday said they are making less money this year than last, no growth in profit. They have to get profits up .. something has to be done. We want Carnival to continue offering a good cruise at a good price.. but prices cant stay this low and make a profit.

I don't know where everyone thinks the prices are low now. I have been paying more in the last 2 years than I ever have. I used to get a balcony for 549.00 to 629.00 on a 7 day now I can barely book a 4j or OV for that, and I am one who watches prices everyday.

On our last Carnival cruise on the Freedom (4/20/2013), the past guest party was held in the theater and was well attended. Was surprised at the number of people since Carnival changed the rules for who could attend the past guest party...

On our last Carnival cruise on the Freedom (4/20/2013), the past guest party was held in the theater and was well attended. Was surprised at the number of people since Carnival changed the rules for who could attend the past guest party...

They'd have the repeaters party in the theater, it would be full and they'd have it twice to accomodate everyone

If they go from having two past guests to only one,, I would expect it to be full and it has been on Conquest too, even with the new rules. At least they can now get everyone into one party and dont have to hold it twice like they were before.

Yes I noticed. I usually book the 1st week or two in DEC on the Imagination and pay consistently about $358 for a SOLO cruise. 2014 for the same sailing is over $500 :confused:

Archived