On Grandeur now..

The US Government will not strand citizens in foreign countries in case of emergency. They will expedite the necessary paperwork and assist in getting them back home.

Poke around the State Department website sometime....and/or google it....the Gov't will even give an emergency loan in case of medical emergency as well....

So, those without passports will not have a problem....paperwork, yes, but really-they will be able to get back...

This is so true. I have no experience with being flown home without a passport but a US citizen will ALWAYS be able to get back into the US. I got my first of 4 passports at the age of 6 to live in Saudi Arabia & have only been without a valid passport twice in my life. Currently mine is expired & I cruised twice last year on my DL & BC, & I will again in August.

I believe in passports (I remember being shocked when I was about 10....not everyone has one?) & also understand that sometimes life & unexpected expenses keep a passport from being a 'must have'. Cruise on peeps.

Thank you Dharma for your reports & having a great attitude! Love Kalik!! The difference between a tourist & a traveler is apparent on your cruise. You are a traveler. I'm so happy everyone is safe & healthy onboard.

RCI's lack of foresight? Did you ask about the muster station assignments before booking?

If you don't trust your 21 year old son to look after his sibling in an emergency, then you should have slept in the cabin. Certainly the rest of society has no trouble trusting 21 year olds in life threatening situations.

I would want my 40 year old children traveling on the same ship in an opposite cabin with me at the same emergency station - its not about trust, ITS ABOUT FAMILY! :rolleyes:

Wouldn't Triumph have been the last one?

It must be really stressful on a cruise ship though, with only few exceptions (bathroom breaks?) a school knows where the people in wheel chairs will be at certain times. However, while getting to the muster station ASAP is paramount, there hasn't been an emergency at sea that had a 'only minutes' sort of urgency to it in recent memory.

If I am not mistaken this is why there are 3-4 or however many crew members at the landing of the stairs on each deck. Wherever a disabled person may be I am sure that if they make their way to the stairs there will be crew standing-by. Just a guess, but that's how I would do it.

So sad to hear about Grandeur catching fire, i hope she has a speedy recovery.

I will be keeping a close eye out for updates.

On another note, although i agree with poet that families should be given an option of cabins at the same muster station, i feel the debate should carry on in another thread. It has taken me ages to finish this thread and most of it has been people arguing about how they should deal with muster stations!!

Not contradictory at. They should do better to provide information on muster stations. It would be a big help for those that don't want to put an adult in each room.

It is not their responsibility to alter the muster stations to provide comfort to people. They are there for one reason only... To help people survive. Comfort is irrelevant.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

While I completely understand the OP's concern over being at different muster stations, it is not an easy thing to change a cabin's assignment. The muster stations for each cabin are listed on a master emergency muster station bill, that is reviewed by the flag state (Bahamas Maritime Administration), and cannot be changed every voyage dependent on cabin bookings.

This is the last statement from Royal Caribbean, although they stated that the decision for the cruise this coming Friday will be made by 8pm EST tonight. I'm still optimistic that she'll be repaired by the 14th of June when I hope to have the pleasure of sailing on her.

The statement:

Royal Caribbean International Statement

May 27, 2013 -- as of 5:03 p.m.

Unfortunately, the damage caused by the fire on Grandeur of the Seas will require us to cancel the rest of the voyage. We are currently working on making the necessary arrangements to return all guests to Baltimore, Maryland.

Royal Caribbean International will provide each guest with a full refund of the cruise fare paid. Royal Caribbean would also like to provide guests with the opportunity to sail with us again. We will be providing each guest with a future cruise certificate for 100% of the cruise fare paid for their May 24, 2013, Grandeur of the Seas sailing.

Royal Caribbean International is deeply sorry for this unexpected development in our guests’ vacation. We understand that this may have been a very stressful time for them. And we also know that it has significantly impacted their vacation experience. We appreciate their patience and cooperation in dealing with this unfortunate situation.

A dedicated telephone hotline has been established for family members of guests at 1-888-824-0012 or internationally at +1-408-916-9000. The cruise line requests that only families of guests use the telephone numbers in order to help ease call volume and ensure that they can receive information as quickly as possible.

Grandeur of the Seas was on a seven-night sailing that departed Baltimore, Maryland, on May 24, and had included port calls to Port Canaveral, Florida; CocoCay and Nassau, The Bahamas.

Media can stay up to date by following @RoyalCaribPR on twitter.

This is the last statement from Royal Caribbean, although they stated that the decision for the cruise this coming Friday will be made by 8pm EST tonight. I'm still optimistic that she'll be repaired by the 14th of June when I hope to have the pleasure of sailing on her.

The statement:

Unfortunately, the damage caused by the fire on Grandeur of the Seas will require us to cancel the rest of the voyage. We are currently working on making the necessary arrangements to return all guests to Baltimore, Maryland.

Royal Caribbean International will provide each guest with a full refund of the cruise fare paid. Royal Caribbean would also like to provide guests with the opportunity to sail with us again. We will be providing each guest with a future cruise certificate for 100% of the cruise fare paid for their May 24, 2013, Grandeur of the Seas sailing.

Royal Caribbean International is deeply sorry for this unexpected development in our guests’ vacation. We understand that this may have been a very stressful time for them. And we also know that it has significantly impacted their vacation experience. We appreciate their patience and cooperation in dealing with this unfortunate situation.

A dedicated telephone hotline has been established for family members of guests at 1-888-824-0012 or internationally at +1-408-916-9000. The cruise line requests that only families of guests use the telephone numbers in order to help ease call volume and ensure that they can receive information as quickly as possible.

Grandeur of the Seas was on a seven-night sailing that departed Baltimore, Maryland, on May 24, and had included port calls to Port Canaveral, Florida; CocoCay and Nassau, The Bahamas.

RCI has done a good job today with updates considering how fast things can change as more information is gathered.

Yes' date=' but it would very likely take more then just a cigarette to get them going.

Cigar maybe?

AKK[/quote']

Exactly...needed a larger and more direct heat source

RCI has done a good job today with updates considering how fast things can change as more information is gathered.

I agree. I'm hoping they will make the promised 8 p.m. decision on time tonight for the May 31st sailing. I have quite a number of things to put in place if I'm not cruising next week ... starting with contacting my boss (who is currently on vacation) to see if I can cancel my 6 days off.

Frankly, given the pictures I've seen today, I'm losing interest in the vacation I was so anxiously looking forward to.

Agreed. Looks like there has been some optimism with regard to future cruises since they are waiting so long to even announce the fate of next week's. Let's hope not too many will have their vacation plans impacted.

In the event of a fire on a ship, are the elevators disabled? I'm supposed to take my elderly mother on a cruise in 2014. She's all worked up over the news about the Grandeur, she can't take stairs. I told her RCI would have to have a procedure for the handicapped.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk HD

Yes, the elevators are likely to be disabled. But, there will be crew available to aid people on the stairs if needed.

I did not start cruising until my youngest was 16 or so....but I do have a question. With all this discussion about being in the same cabin as your children, we are all assuming that a situation will arise at night time, when the family is together. What happens if there is an emergency during the day and your kids are in a child care program? Would they not go to the muster station assigned to that program so responsible adults are taking care of your children rather than them running around the ship by themselves looking for you or the station they are "assigned" to? Um just thinking that even in a perfect world you might not be with your child if heaven forbid those lifeboats have to depart. I never had to deal with such a situation, what are the rules for this?

I did not start cruising until my youngest was 16 or so....but I do have a question. With all this discussion about being in the same cabin as your children, we are all assuming that a situation will arise at night time, when the family is together. What happens if there is an emergency during the day and your kids are in a child care program? Would they not go to the muster station assigned to that program so responsible adults are taking care of your children rather than them running around the ship by themselves looking for you or the station they are "assigned" to? Um just thinking that even in a perfect world you might not be with your child if heaven forbid those lifeboats have to depart. I never had to deal with such a situation, what are the rules for this?

Children under the age of 12 wear a muster station wristband. This has the muster station number on it. If they are in Adventure Ocean, the counsellors take them to their assigned muster station.

If, for some reason, they are not in Adventure Ocean or with their parents, any staff member can take them where they need to go because the info is on their wristband.

Spoke to the Wife who was on board and she pretty much confirmed all the above. It was a pain to stand in Muster for that long, but passengers were good for the most part and crew did a great job. She said it was pretty nerve wracking to watch the lifeboats be readied. On a humerous (ironic?) note, she said at dinner last night (or the night before), the music group in the dining room played the Celine Dion song from Titantic and everyone at her table was looking at each other in humerous disbelief they would play that song. So, I blame the music group, not a mythical smoker.

As for the future cruise "certificate" offered as part compensation, are those equal to the value of full cruise or could RCl just be giving a $100 certificate in addition to the refund?

skipop: I was on the Crown Princess, July 2006, when she listed waaaay over, causing enormous damage to the ship's furnishings and facilities. We ended up being flown home from Orlando.

As I am guessing you know, Princess is very proud of its MUTS: Movies Under The Stars, the big screens up on the pool deck.

The scheduled film the night of the list?

Titanic.

:rolleyes:

On another note, although i agree with poet that families should be given an option of cabins at the same muster station, i feel the debate should carry on in another thread. It has taken me ages to finish this thread and most of it has been people arguing about how they should deal with muster stations!!

The Muster Station concern of poet123 and others is extremely valid. Those with concerns should write to the RCI front office (e.g., Adam Goldstein) about it.

It should be a simple task to add another item on the cabin spreadsheet for a ship that shows the Muster Station for each cabin. It would take time to complete the listing for all ships but would be an invaluable tool. Also, another first for RCI if they do it ;)

Children are given (and REQUIRED to wear if under 12 or 11) colored wrist bands that list the muster station of the parents. In the event of an emergency the children would be delivered to the parent's lifeboat.

skipop: I was on the Crown Princess, July 2006, when she listed waaaay over, causing enormous damage to the ship's furnishings and facilities. We ended up being flown home from Orlando.

As I am guessing you know, Princess is very proud of its MUTS: Movies Under The Stars, the big screens up on the pool deck.

The scheduled film the night of the list?

Titanic.

:rolleyes:

LOL. I was going to make a joke about them showing "The Poseidon Adventure" on future cruises, but you're real story is much better. Apparently, we now have a "Curse of the Titanic" for all cruise ships.

So glad all the passengers and crew of the Grandeur are safe! Great job, RCCL! I've always said if I have to be somewhere there's a serious fire, I want it to be on a cruise ship - because ever single crew member is a trained firefighter! Can't say that about your local mall or theater...

I've read nearly every post and noted questions about why it took 2-3 hours to extinguish the fire. As a former firefighter and having toured the aft mooring deck area, I can see where the fire could only be fought from one side, the side facing forward. And because of that and the structure of that area of the ship, the fire could only really go one way - up.

The crew did a great job containing that fire, despite how widespread the destruction looks. Had the ship been in port when the fire started, it could have been extinguished much faster because water /foam could have aimed at the blaze from the aft end of the ship, as well as from inside.

Royal Caribbean has done very well by its passengers. This cruisefare completely refunded and a Future Cruise Certificate for the same amount to be used when the passengers are ready to cruise again. (with an expiration date, of course)

I apologize to those who are not so happy that I have brought this thread back to its intended topic. ;) :D

Archived