On Grandeur now..

Is there a way to know if a cabins has the same muster stations before booking?

I don't understand why the cost guard had a carnival ship standing by to help if needed. How would they be able help?

By taking 2900 people out of life boats/rafts and onto their ship if the GR had to be evacuated!

On the CNN newscast one of the passengers said their Stateroom Attendant was beating on their door yelling for them to get up, put their life jackets on and run to the muster station.

That is the problem with sensationalism as journalism. You can have dozens of people say how calm and professional everyone was considering the situation but you get one person who may be embellishing and it is what makes it into the news. Every other person quoted, both here and in the media, tell stories of how well everything was handled and what look what CNN chooses to publish.

Dear roscoegirl and Tonka's Skipper:

No need to question Aquahound when he states something like this.

He is the "real deal". Not *just* a CC poster. If he says that an official report said something, it said it. If he says that the CBP does something, then it does something.

Really.

:)

Well , 35 years in the maritime industry, including dealings with the CHP, and as a ship Master, I am afraid I disagree with him on this point.

There is no way the CHP was not aware.......no one would take the chance.

AKK

I can understand how upset you were, but the people on the ship couldn't change your muster station, nor should they. A muster station can only handle X number of passengers, and that number doesn't change just because someone wants or needs to be with family.

I'm glad you shared your experience, because it lets people know they need to do some investigating ahead of time if they have specific muster station needs.

As for disobeying the crew's directions in case of an actual emergency...shame on you if you would do that! By doing so you would be endangering other lives, creating additional work for the already burdened staff, and possibly costing someone who followed directions their spot on a lifeboat. I know this sounds harsh, but if everybody disregarded the instructions, think how much worse a bad situation could be.

I lived overseas for a while when I was growing up...I knew MANY familes who never flew together for that very reason.

Most corporations have similar restrictions for corporate officers, or at least they used to years ago.

No, they were not. I work with these guys and it was a hot topic for a while. It went as far as CCL being instructed not to do it again without proper notifications.

And you are wrong about jail time. It was not a criminal issue.

You may feel sure, but you are wrong. I'm posting this because it is what I do. I know what I say is fact because I was involved.

Sorry, even carnival would not have gotten away with this.....CHP may not have been happy about it, but they were aware before the vessel arrived, I will even accept they just slapped Carnival on the wrist, but someone in SBP was aware.

I know of at least 1 incident when a port Captain rode a ship into NY without CHP being advised. Not only was he arrested, but the ship agent who was aware and did not advise CHP did 4 months and was fined big time....AKK

Well ' date=' 35 years in the maritime industry, including dealings with the CHP, and as a ship Master, I am afraid I disagree with him on this point.

AKK[/quote']

Why would Calfornia Highway Patrol be notified of people flying from the caribbean to MCO??

Being a ship Master, but not the Master of the Carnival Dream, I don't understand how you would be privvy to what arrangements were made, on the other hand, Aquahound would be.

I don't understand why the cost guard had a carnival ship standing by to help if needed. How would they be able help?

Sensation was not only instructed to assist as needed, they were required by law. Knowingly sailing away from a fellow ship on fire would have resulted in HEAVY penalties.

But like time4u2go said, had the passengers needed to abandon ship, Sensation could have taken them on.

Dear roscoegirl and Tonka's Skipper:

No need to question Aquahound when he states something like this.

He is the "real deal". Not *just* a CC poster. If he says that an official report said something, it said it. If he says that the CBP does something, then it does something.

Really.

:)

Not sure about Tonka's Skipper but Aquahound addressed my question/confusion very kindly...apparently he's an adult and can answer for himself...I appreciate that. Thanks for your concern tho' :)

I'm a parent and in the same situation I would have moved around our cabin assignments if I didn't feel comfortable. I wouldn't decide that the best course of action would be not going to the correct muster station. You'd be told to go to the correct one anyway so what would be the point?! On pur last cruise we had 5 cabins in a row and we dealt with being at different muster stations. All the kids were with at least 1 responsible adult.

As I said my a previous post that solution is not available to every one. We would have had to leave the ship if this had happened to us. We would not have just gone to the wrong muster station as if every one did that then chaos would result. But for us (as I explained earlier) we could not do 2 diff muster stations. - so if our rooms could not be switched about we would need to leave.

I wish this picture had a bit better perspective. From what little I can see this space most likely has smoke and water damage. The windows were probably taken out to provide ventilation and to also flow water onto the fire from above and to also try and keep the outer hull steel cooled.

Spot on. Another reason to take out the windows is to allow the water out. Look back at the Normandie during WWII, and what happened when the NYFD pumped hundred of tons of water into her, with the subsequent capsizing.

Well ' date=' 35 years in the maritime industry, including dealings with the CHP, and as a ship Master, I am afraid I disagree with him on this point.

[/quote']

Disagree all you want. I'm telling you what happened. Were you in the room when we debriefed that case? Were you listening when Steve, one of the agents who dealt with it, was explaining the issues it caused and the unneccessary lines for those who were clearing CBP? I'd like to think professional mariners would not allow this to happen as well, but unfortunately, it did.

AKK, Based on prior conversations with Aquahound, I believe he is a position to know. He actually has a touching story about returning something to someone based on his job.

Having said that, I do value your insight as I do aquahounds. Based on your prior posts and his prior, you both are the real deal. You do both speculate, but do it with underlying knowledge.

AKK[/quote']

About an hour ago RC posted the following -

We have assessed the damage to Grandeur of the Seas and have made the decision to cancel the remainder of this voyage. We are currently arranging flights for all guests onboard to return to Baltimore, Maryland tomorrow. Guests on this sailing will receive a full refund of the cruise fare as well as a future cruise certificate. Information about upcoming sailings onboard Grandeur of the Seas will be posted as soon as it is available.

Sensation was not only instructed to assist as needed, they were required by law. Knowingly sailing away from a fellow ship on fire would have resulted in HEAVY penalties.

But like time4u2go said, had the passengers needed to abandon ship, Sensation could have taken them on.

In a loss of life situation, there would be criminal charges if I am not mistaken.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

There was no error. The cabins are "hard-coded" to a particular muster station. Look at the back of the stateroom door.

My guess is that the reservation system is not set up to take into account which cabin is assigned to which muster station, even if you think to ask.

The people next door were travelling alone and would have been quite happy to have had the cabin assigned to my sons. We met them in the corridor one evening and spoke to them about it. RCI made an error in this instance, how often that happens I am unsure, but it did happen to us and it shouldn't have.

While I'm not a firefighter like Eng23, I am a merchant marine chief engineer with 37 years experience in ships, including fighting ship fires, on cargo and passenger vessels. The windows in the lounge were probably broken out in order to vent the space instead of allowing the smoke to be cleared by the ship's ventilation with the spread of smoke throughout the vessel. One disadvantage to the universal white paint on cruise ships, is that smoke damage will show as very bad. If this was as hot a fire as people are making out, the columns between the broken windows would have shown some buckling. I doubt that there is much structural damage even in the lounge. Most of what you see as walls and ceilings in ships' spaces are not structural, and the damage will mostly be confined to this. The structural bulkheads and decks are covered with fire insulation to maintain the A-60 rating required.

The length of time required to "extinguish" the fire, should not be used to determine how bad a fire was, as there would be a period of 60-90 minutes after the fire is actually extinguished while the fire teams perform "re-flash" watches, looking for small hot spots and watching for any possible re-ignition of the fire.

The ships are divided into vertical fire zones, so that a fire on deck 3 in the aft most zone will be contained at most to all decks in that vertical zone.

Mooring lines are very difficult to extinguish once they catch fire, as they have a tendency to smolder.

Like - professional input always appreciated!!!!

And no matter how well anyone can take care of him/her self, families being separated during the time of an emergency would be added, and unneeded, stress.

actually, the adults being separated and kids divided between them may be a good thing. if the ship goes down maybe at least some of the family will make it.

That is the same thought process my mother used to use when I was a kid and we were all going to fly someplace on the same plane.

many many years ago I worked for a young start-up female fashion company that is now huge.. anyway, no one above director were allowed to fly on the same plane be it commercial or our corp jet.

I'm happy to hear the Captain ordered everyone to the muster stations. Considering it was in the middle of the night he could of hoped to minimize the situation prior to passengers finding out.

I bet it takes a lot to make that call...

Why would Calfornia Highway Patrol be notified of people flying from the caribbean to MCO??

Being a ship Master, but not the Master of the Carnival Dream, I don't understand how you would be privvy to what arrangements were made, on the other hand, Aquahound would be.

I'm guessing the poster means CBP, not CHP.

Archived