On Grandeur now..

Either way, I don't think that muster station location is something that the average cruiser would think about when choosing cabins. I don't recall deck plans indicating muster stations for cabins and I wonder if an RCI rep on the phone would have the information. But this is certainly something that I will now think about when I choose our cabins. And no matter how well anyone can take care of him/her self, families being separated during the time of an emergency would be added, and unneeded, stress.

It would never have crossed my mind (will do from now on). We would have not been able to remain on the cruise if that had happened to us. My eldest 20yrs would be in a cabin with her 15yr sister. But the 20yr old is diabetic and a sudden fright/ stress makes her sugars drop and can/does cause her to fit then go under in a low = she can go from normal sugars to dangerously low in 2 mins if she gets a shock there is no way I would leave my 15yrs old to handle that. We also could not shake up the cabin assignment so DH would go with her and 15 yr old with me as I have mobility issues (MS) and my DH would be left panicking that my 15yr old was able to cope helping me off. So for us it would be a leave the ship situation. I am really glad that this has been brought to my attention as I am just planning our next cruise. And will not book until I have it in writing that we will be using the same muster station

Thank you for posting this information. DH and I were talking about this very issue. DH said this is how muster drills should be ran. On Disney in 2008 they took a physical head count and you had to answer when your name was called.

Our concern on Carnival is they hoard people into a muster station and never take a roll call. Thank goodness we have never had a need to go to muster station except for drill.

The swiping of your sign and sail card or sea pass as called on RCL is awesome. It lets them know in a short amount of time who is present and who is not. Great safety feature.

On Carnival they are MOST DEFINITELY "easy" to skip. The fact that they don't take any kind of roll call (on the 50+ cruises we taken with them) does not make them look good, it makes them look lazy. On Royal Caribbean, NCL, Princess, and Celebrity they all make sure you've checked in... as should be the case.

Tom

It would never have crossed my mind (will do from now on). We would have not been able to remain on the cruise if that had happened to us. My eldest 20yrs would be in a cabin with her 15yr sister. But the 20yr old is diabetic and a sudden fright/ stress makes her sugars drop and can/does cause her to fit then go under in a low = she can go from normal sugars to dangerously low in 2 mins if she gets a shock there is no way I would leave my 15yrs old to handle that. We also could not shake up the cabin assignment so DH would go with her and 15 yr old with me as I have mobility issues (MS) and my DH would be left panicking that my 15yr old was able to cope helping me off. So for us it would be a leave the ship situation. I am really glad that this has been brought to my attention as I am just planning our next cruise. And will not book until I have it in writing that we will be using the same muster station

There must be someone in each cabin who is 21 or older. You would not be permitted to book your children alone in their own cabin, unless they were next door to your cabin or directly across the hall.

I don't see why it would be an issue at all. It never has been an issue in the past. Has something changed?

When you say "it has never been an issue in the past", do you know of other times this has happened? I know it happened with a Carnival ship recently in St. Martin, but do you know of other instances?

How many times have you seen a lit butt get thrown out of the window of a car ahead of you? I don't get why all smokers would not be more aware of what they do with their left overs.

Almost daily ( :eek: ) which helps explain all the butts I see along the roadway. I've taken down plates a few times. If I did that each time I saw it happen and each time I saw someone texting while driving (almost daily as well), I might as well become a cop! ;)

A few bad eggs makes many look bad - that's true in other things as well...

Tom

I don't see why it would be an issue at all. It never has been an issue in the past. Has something changed?

Nothing has changed, but many people cruise without a passport. Flying into the US from a foreign country requires a passport, so those without passports may be required to visit with US agents and arrange temporary passports.

The identification requirement for a closed-loop cruise is completely different than the requirement for entering the US by air (passport only). If the passengers are on flights chartered by Royal Caribbean hopefully lack of a passport won't be an issue for anyone.

There must be someone in each cabin who is 21 or older. You would not be permitted to book your children alone in their own cabin, unless they were next door to your cabin or directly across the hall.

And if the next door cabin has a different muster station?

I know you probably do not realize it but cjskids was on Star Princess when it caught fire, so she does have some experience on this topic.

Was a cause for that fire ever determined? I know I heard much speculation.

Tom

It is an issue, but as long as CBP is tuned in to it back in Baltimore, it should be ok.

Recently, Carnival Dream had to end a cruise short in St. Martin. Some of the passengers were placed on other ships. This created havoc because by doing this, it negated the Closed Loop process because they changed ships. They returned to the U.S., mixed in with a couple thousand other passengers from that ship. CBP was not made aware of who all came from the Dream, or even of the scenario.

But that's not the scenario here. The best thing for RCI to do is charter a plane for the non passport holders.

After the Costa Concordia disaster, my family and I discussed what to do if there was an emergency at sea.

As a result, we all agreed that we will proceed to muster stations without wasting valuable time looking for each other. If the alarms sounds, just go!

On our cruises since Concordia, I packed a grab and go zip lock for each of us with ID, cash, meds, snacks and a small flashlight.

I hope and pray that we never need them.

The identification requirement for a closed-loop cruise is completely different than the requirement for entering the US by air (passport only). If the passengers are on flights chartered by Royal Caribbean hopefully lack of a passport won't be an issue for anyone.

How does a chartered flight change the fact that you are entering the US by air. That closed loop cruise is history.

And no matter how well anyone can take care of him/her self, families being separated during the time of an emergency would be added, and unneeded, stress.

actually, the adults being separated and kids divided between them may be a good thing. if the ship goes down maybe at least some of the family will make it.

Either way, I don't think that muster station location is something that the average cruiser would think about when choosing cabins. I don't recall deck plans indicating muster stations for cabins and I wonder if an RCI rep on the phone would have the information. But this is certainly something that I will now think about when I choose our cabins. And no matter how well anyone can take care of him/her self, families being separated during the time of an emergency would be added, and unneeded, stress.

But you deal with the situation at hand. You don't act juvenile and make threats that you won't follow procedure in an emergency. If you're concerned that the children need a parent than some cabin switching should be done.

Was a cause for that fire ever determined? I know I hear much speculation.

It could not be determined with 100% certainty, but circumstantially, it was determined to be most likely caused by a cigarette.

Archived