On Grandeur now..

After reading the last 33 pages of this post today I come to the following conclusions.

1. Great job by the crew, being able to put the fire out and have everyone mustered with lifeboats at the ready incase things got worse.

2. Good job in diverting to Freeport where there is dry-dock/repair facilities available.

3. I believe the RCCL Compensations is good.

I am glad that everyone is safe and the ship is secure in Freeport.

I believe that cast and guests performed they way they were trained.

Good grief. Could they look more unprofessional ? Perhaps they both were at the beach or by the pool when they got the news, and went straight to the airport.... what other excuse could there be ?

Flame suit on. :)

Adam is the one in the suit with his back to the camera. The others are passengers.

I agree I never have either and had several balconies

well,, I have never seen a million dollars,, but I know it exists.. :cool: and I have seen major fire damage from a single cig butt that smoldered and the breeze fanned it..[altho not on a ship] and finally enough air made it ignite.. it took hours to become flames,, from one cig butt!

sort of like a tiny magnifying glass igniting a fire...

sort of like the rubbing 2 sticks to ignite a fire..

it is very hard to believe from common sense,, but empirical evidence gleaned proves it is true!

once the correct oxygen, heat, fuel is met,, poof!

I am not speculating a butt started this.. but you must open your eyes to understand things happen from the smallest detail,, and when it hits the fan.. you better be ready to make some decisions!

the best decision should be to listen to the crew instructions

for those who think common sense will prevail... you have another think coming is what my MOM would say.. there is a LOT of training that goes with this sort of incident being handled well..

The trained crew need commendation ! :)

Good grief. Could they look more unprofessional ? Perhaps they both were at the beach or by the pool when they got the news, and went straight to the airport.... what other excuse could there be ?

Flame suit on. :)

The obvious "excuse" could be that those are the guests facing Goldstein!

Will NTSB actually go onboard? It is a foreign flagged vessel. It is up to the government of the Bahamas to investigate the cause of the fire. I am sure NTSB can consult, but I thought that they would have limited jurisdiction

A Bahamas registered ship docked in the Bahamas of course it will be their maritime agency that runs the invistigation, however that may contract another agency to assist , quite often they use the British government MAIB

See http://www.maib.gov.uk/home/index.cfm

Best regards

John

Ditto all the prayers and sighs of relief that everyone onboard is safe!

The FB picture looks like there could be two interpretations: One, the crew member really is still upset about the ship they have grown to love by serving on her. Or two, the crew member is acting upset to set up a great picture. It just looks a little contrived that the crew member is the only one framed in the picture - and someone had to take the picture. Just sayin': To observe is easy; to interpret, not so much. We all need to wait patiently until actual news comes out. Speculations about how the fire started are both groundless and useless. The only thing that is certain is that the captain and the crew performed admirably, and everyone aboard benefits from their quick and efficient response.

I've never seen an RCL officer wearing shorts. I would assume this is a Bahamian Pilot or possibly Coast Guard officer who disembarked the smaller boat in the foreground. It's also possible he just wanted to hide his face to avoid being identified in the picture.

My last 5 cruises I have had a balcony.

NEVER, EVER, NOT ONCE have I found a cigarette butt on my balcony.

and I have been on 49 cruises all balcony and like you NEVER, not once have I found a butt on the balcony.

Perhaps he does not know which one is Adam - he is the one in the tailored suite :)

The guy in the tee is probably a senator on vacation:D

:) nope,, take another look at the guy in the Tee... I bet the topic at hand is close to his heart...

https://twitter.com/RoyalCaribPR/status/339060407836758016/photo/1

to save you some time,, his tee shirt say Loudoun Firefighters

A Bahamas registered ship docked in the Bahamas of course it will be their maritime agency that runs the invistigation, however that may contract another agency to assist , quite often they use the British government MAIB

See http://www.maib.gov.uk/home/index.cfm

Best regards

John

Didn't the ship leave from a US Port then suffer a fire while in US Territorial Waters? Would that not give the NTSB jurisdiction?

The Triumph incident occurred in International Waters so the country where it was flagged took primary. However the Grandeur was in US Waters so the US Government has primary jurisdiction?

:) nope,, take another look at the guy in the Tee... I bet the topic at hand is close to his heart...

https://twitter.com/RoyalCaribPR/status/339060407836758016/photo/1

to save you some time,, his tee shirt say Loudoun Firefighters

I live in Loudoun County, VA. I wonder if he's a firefighter here. Or at least lives here. We're only about an hour from Baltimore.

Didn't the ship leave from a US Port then suffer a fire while in US Territorial Waters? Would that not give the NTSB jurisdiction?

The Triumph incident occurred in International Waters so the country where it was flagged took primary. However the Grandeur was in US Waters so the US Government has primary jurisdiction?

On the high seas, flag state has primary jurisdiction over a matter like this. The Bahamas are primary in this case. Agencies like NTSB and USCG are brought in for expertise and due to American interests because the ship sails from the U.S. Bahamas still has lead though.

I've been reading all day and at times it was hard to keep up!:eek:

Kewlguy...Thanx for separating the muster station topic from this thread. It's really a separate issue. Now I have half a chance of keeping up.:D BTW...I'm still waiting for the goodie you promised.:( You never came through for me.:rolleyes:

So happy that no one was hurt, that the fire was handled expeditiously by a well trained crew, that RCI seems to be handling the situation properly and that the passengers are in good shape! Hope things continue to go well in getting the current passengers home and that not many cruises need to be cancelled while the ship is made seaworthy again.

dolphansam...nice to see you post again. I see that we will be cruising together on Grandeur, on 11-16-13. Please come over to our roll call thread and check in. We were on Mercury together in 1-2010.;)

OMG I can not believe some people are trying to make this a smoking thing...oh please :/

Congrads to the crew for handling it so well. And thank you to all the crew for making cruising what it is...

Thank you to the OP for posting and keeping us up to date and safe travels to all those that will be finishing their vacation early...

The vessel is registered in the Bahamas and its next call was in the Bahamas.

I believe Territorial Waters are defined by international convention as roughly 12 miles from shore.

Fire? There was a fire???

Over on the Carny board, I think seven or eight threads on this subject have been deleted, but I am somewhat surprised to find that this looks like the only one on this board on this subject.

Tick tock.

i wanna say that Royal Caribbean did an amazing job in this event. i beleive the captain took every precaution to keep the guests and crew safe. the crew handled this situation very well in keeping everyone safe. good job Royal Caribbean, Keep up the great work.

Any particular reason that you believe that your comment is so special that it deserves it's very own thread?

Hi everyone-- I am on the Cruise Critic editorial staff and would just like say that we do not discriminate between our coverage of cruise lines. I wanted to let everyone know we've been following the story all day, and have posted a news story with multiple updates: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5367.

Thank you to all of our members for your great coverage, comments and photos!

~Brittany Chrusciel, Editorial Assistant

I looked for an article pinned at the top of the RC board and it is not there. I know that the they are suppose to be pinned there for 24 hours, correct? Why is it not? Every issue for carnival was pinned. Discriminate, no. Inconsistent, yes.

I looked for an article pinned at the top of the RC board and it is not there. I know that the they are suppose to be pinned there for 24 hours, correct? Why is it not? Every issue for carnival was pinned. Discriminate, no. Inconsistent, yes.

I've been looking for a sticky all day.

Archived