On Grandeur now..

Good grief - that must have been some fire to cause that amount of damage. Difficult to think of the ship sailing anytime soon. Thank goodness everyone is safe.

Now the investiagtion Process begins with the USCG & NTSB and other agency's

It's where the winches are located and all the mooring lines are stored. It's the area they work when tying up the ship in port.

Glad to see you are around. You are so smart on these kinds of things. Thank goodness for your backround.

Having just returned from a cruise with another line at the weekend it does bring home how vulnerable you are should an incident occur at sea. Luckily the ship had full power and could return to port fairly quickly. It would have been even worse if that had happened crossing the Atlantic with no coastguard or other ships to stand by!

Looking at the picture with the crew member in front it must have been a heroic effort by the crew to bring the fire under control - well done to them for their hard work and bravery and to RCL for providing the level of training required to deal with such a major incident at sea.

We sailed on Grandeur last year and found her to be a very nice ship so it is sad to see her in such a condition. I can't see the ship being in cruising mode for a considerable amount of time given the extent of damage but hopefully I am wrong on that front and she can be brought back to service quickly for the sake of folk on future cruises.

So glad everyone on board is OK. A previous poster is correct that it isn't the same as recent situations on land where people have lost lives and homes but that shouldn't prevent people with a love for crusing and a respect for everyone involved making a comment and passing on ther good wishes and thoughts to those involved.

This is a message board after all and everyone can have their say and we will never all see things in the same perspective. I'm only glad the incident involving Grandeur and everyone on board has resulted in the ship and everyone on board arriving back to land safely.

Sorry...I beg to differ. I happen to love both lines...just putting it out there. Who are these "experts" you're referring to? Could they be posters on CC? How has RCI "picked up the ball" other than send the CEO to the site? This is a fresh story...they haven't had time to do anything so time will tell how they do especially with the passengers (I believe Carnival did a great job in that area...not so great in others).

RCI also have the benefit of hindsight!! They will know what to do given the criticism Carnival received.

Yep- that was us this Friday! Holding it for July 26 now. Anyone know how quickly RCCL contacts next cruise people??

I don't know but if I were on the next sailing or two I would be at least looking at other options just to have a plan in place should any future cruises be canceled.

And I hate to break the news but regardless of how royal handles this vs carnival this is bad for the industry as a whole. It's just more publicity about the bad things that can happen at sea for an industry that has already taken a beating

I agree. The mooring ropes they use are probably polymer based. So you had A LOT of melting/burning. I would imagine that is what caused most of the soot and the reason it took so long to put out.

Plastics=Hydrocarbons produces High BTU'S. You have discolored metal on the rear starboard Aft which indicates very high Temps. Direct Flame contact and radiant heat damage with some structual damage is evident on the upper floors.

Already we have a conspiracy theory! The press release said: ...fire..deck 3....is it possible the fire was actually on deck 3 and the damage was done by heat and smoke? The poster that thinks RCI was "hiding" something.

Go easy folks... let's try to stay with first hand info and photos or crew info....no need to go off the deep end.....

I agree. Just love the ones who already think they have the facts.

971191_768668624793_1262991452_n.jpg

THis is extensive damage. not going anywhere soon

this is a better pic from a crew member friend of mine

This picture provides a better view of areas impacted. If as stated earlier the fire started on Deck 3 I can see from this picture damage extending up to at least Deck 5. I would imagine that the Grandeur will be out of service for at least 2 weeks if not longer.

Hate to dash your anti-RCI hopes..But the PR firms that I mentioned happen to be severfal of the large PR firms in NYC that were recently interviewed on how corporations handle bad news. The Carnival reference was theirs not mine..

Please do not be blinded by your personal animosity toward a person or a company.

I still hear a lot of white noise. Care to provide links of this stunning news? As I mentioned earlier I cruise both and love both. You might want to take your own advice.

I have not found a link or post giving a link to a description of the damage yet.I did see a post saying the ropes were burnt up and then ropes appeared at port:rolleyes:

so, is there a link describing structural damage

One can see from the picture that there was heat and smoke, peeling paint

I have not found a link or post giving a link to a description of the damage yet.I did see a post saying the ropes were burnt up and then ropes appeared at port:rolleyes:

Right now none of us know nothing. It's all speculation and should be taken as such.

Appears thank goodness it happened when it did. If the lounge has been involved there might have been alot of people injured.

Thank goodness no one was injured. Will see as the day goes along who has a place to sleep and where.

Believe me, they have a lot of mooring line on board. I'm not sure how aft mooring is set up on Vision Class, but much of the line usually isn't just laying around. A lot of what isn't spooled may be down below in line lockers.

For those who commented about people needing medical attention while mustering, this is what I found on @RoyalCaribPR's Twitter feed...

Latest: #GrandeuroftheSeas' medical staff reports 2 guests treated after fainting, 1 report of high blood pressure and 1 report of cramps.

From the RCI Home Page...

Grandeur of the Seas Update

May 27, 2013

12:30pm

Grandeur of the Seas arrived in Freeport, The Bahamas, this morning at approximately 10:15 a.m. ET, with all 2,224 guests and 796 crew safe and accounted for. Royal Caribbean International’s President and CEO Adam Goldstein and a Guest Care team have arrived in Freeport to meet with guests.

While en route to CocoCay, The Bahamas, the ship experienced a fire in the mooring area in the aft of the ship at approximately 2:50 a.m. ET. The fire was extinguished at 4:58 a.m. and the ship was redirected to Freeport for further evaluation. In an abundance of caution, the Captain mustered all guests to their assembly stations during the incident. Guests were released from their muster stations at 6:56 a.m.

Grandeur of the Seas will remain docked in Freeport overnight. The aft area affected by fire has been cordoned off, but most public areas and staterooms are safe and accessible. Throughout, the ship’s power, propulsion and communications systems functioned uninterrupted. Guests have the option to spend the day on board or ashore in Freeport while a number of guests in affected staterooms will be put up in Freeport hotels.

The safety of our guests and crew is our top priority, and we will continue to focus on their needs and concerns currently. The onboard medical staff has responded to several calls for medical assistance, but none of them have been medical emergencies. The calls have included fainting, reports of high blood pressure and an ankle sprain.

A dedicated telephone hotline has been established for family members of guests at 1-888-824-0012 or internationally at +1-408-916-9000. The cruise line requests that only families of guests use the telephone numbers in order to help ease call volume and ensure that they can receive information as quickly as possible.

Grandeur of the Seas was on a seven-night sailing that departed Baltimore, Maryland, on May 24, and had included port calls to Port Canaveral, Florida; CocoCay and Nassau, The Bahamas.

Just look at the most recent picture. All the windows to the lounge above the deck where the fire started are gone. I would imagine there is some structural buckling of the deck floor from the heat of the fire. Based on the discoloration of the steel this was a very hot fire and it appears the fire spread vertically and laterally due to heat conduction through bulkheads and deck flooring.

Archived