On Grandeur now..

one must remember that the Carnival Sensation was waiting to assist.

order by the U.S. Coast Guard while they were in route.

I'm curious if this happened adjacent to Lake Worth as I had read, why they didn't dock in Fort Lauderdale instead.

my thoughts are for the crew' date=' stuck on board, for the clean up and to sleep with whatever fallout there could be from the smoke.

Maybe those with trip insurance can fly home? or maybe Freeport can put folks up for overnight?

Freeport is not a bad place to hang out whilst the inspectors and officials do what they need to do -- best for passengers to try and enjoy staying out of the way. Sounds as if those who needed to, could get back to their staterooms.

waiting for Dharma's next update.[/quote']

I would imagine RCCL will fly everyone home regardless if they had insurance.

I'm curious if this happened adjacent to Lake Worth as I had read, why they didn't dock in Fort Lauderdale instead.

Bingo. Much safer for the company if they are out of the U.S.

What is Aft Mooring? I know back of ship but what is Mooring? Is that a floor? Where did it start? Someone's room or what?

It's where the winches are located and all the mooring lines are stored. It's the area they work when tying up the ship in port.

Come on, people. Stop bickering like 5 year olds! Focus on the fact that no body was injured and that passengers and crew are safe.

That and the fact that the Carnival Sensation diverted, to be right there, if the Grandeur needed assistance and I'm sure the Grandeur would do the same for any Carnival ship...

Sadly the cherrleaders on either side put their petty alliances ahead of reality.

Glad everyone is safe after a clearly, bad fire...

Bill

The mooring room is where all the lines and winches and other machinery is to tie the ship up.

They may have been off the coast of Lake Worth, but if only 35 or so miles from Freeport, that means they were about 150 miles from Lake Worth or Ft. Lauderdale.

My husband and I have been wrestling with the decision of going on Friday or rescheduling for later in the summer because his brother is in hospice. I think the decision may have been made for us!!!

It is very interesting to see reports form the cruise lines which always sound like the trouble caused minor problems. Then that picture shows the real damage. :eek:

From what I can see, this ship is not going anywhere soon.

Good thing it is parked in Freeport as they have the facilities to fix it.

Glad nobody got hurt.

Looking at the track of the Grandeur, I believe she was always a lot closer to Freeport than any port in Florida at the time of the incident. Freeport would be a great spot for repairs as well.

1690nep.jpg

It is very interesting to see reports form the cruise lines which always sound like the trouble caused minor problems. Then that picture shows the real damage. :eek:

Glad nobody got hurt.

Excellent point re Freeport's ability to repair the ship.

I had read the Facebook post hours ago and it didn't seem like it was such a big event. The photo tells a very different story.

Thank goodness there were no injuries.

Possibly because they have more an ability to do repairs in Freeport?

Freeport was the closest port to the ship. The ship was about 35-40 miles from Freeport. Ft. Lauderdale was well over 100 miles away.

Glad nobody got hurt.

This was not a minor fire, and it was not contained to one deck, as you can see from the pictures. I know someone on board and the fire started on 3 and went as high as 6 and took out the South Pacific Lounge, and I would guess the Diamond lounge as well.

It took the crew over 3 hours to extinguish the fire.

This ship is going to be out of service for a while

Do you think they will cancel any cruises? We're going June 7th

We just don't know enough yet about the damages. I would think that, at minimum, the next cruise will be canceled. But then again, I've seen damaged ships get turned around in only a few days. For your sake, fingers are crossed the damage isn't as bad as the photo seems to indicate.

Edit...yeah, I think it will be canceled based on the following photo.

I got a call from my husband, who's onboard, this morning around 7 AM wanting to let me know what had happened and that they were okay before I potentially heard otherwise from the news. Now I'm not able to do much besides try to follow what's going on.

Thank you very much for continuing to provide updates. I really appreciate being able to follow along and hope that everything turns out as well as it can for all onboard.

Archived