ESPN orCNN?

ny cruisequeen

We were on the Grand round trip from Hawaii. The tv did not have CNN or ESPN. We were wondering why not? We cannot stand the biased FOX station and that was what we were stuck with. My husband is huge sports fan, and he sorely missed getting score updates on this vacation. Just wondering.

We cannot stand the biased FOX station and that was what we were stuck with.

You have got to be kidding! FOX? :eek:

What possible reason could there be except maybe to force people to run up their wi-fi bill in order to get real news?

We cannot stand the biased FOX station and that was what we were stuck with.

You have got to be kidding! FOX? :eek:

What possible reason could there be except maybe to force people to run up their wi-fi bill in order to get real news?

These threads are reserved for questions about the Royal Princess. :rolleyes:

Hard to figure out why you would selfishly use Royal Princess Q&A for questions about Fox or ESPN.

Quite right. The question, as I understood it, was whether anything but FOX news would be available to passengers aboard the ROYAL PRINCESS.:rolleyes:

Quite right. The question, as I understood it, was whether anything but FOX news would be available to passengers aboard the ROYAL PRINCESS.:rolleyes:

When the Royal is in Europe you will most likely get BBC.

I seem to recall watching CNN International on other Princess ships in years past - but unfortunately there was only Fox on our 2 recent cruises on the Grand. I don't know if the networks that are chosen to be shown are fleetwide, or if it varies by ship or region. :confused:

On our cruise from LA to Tahiti last fall, we had both FOX and MSNBC - we did not have CNN. Since this cruise was during the Presidential election, people from the United States were particularly interested in receiving the news.

I don't know why they didn't have CNN - it could be because of the cost of licensing. At least it appears that Princess did not show a political bias to one side or the other, since they carried both FOX and MSNBC.

This led to some discussions in the laundry rooms, since whoever got there first was able to change the channel on the laundry room TV, and you could usually tell someone's position in the presidential elections by their choice of FOX or MSNBC.

Thanks to all who respectfully responded. It would still be nice if Mr. Calouri would join the conversation and tell us how this decision is made, since it seems to vary by ship and/or geographical location. If he doesn't, I guess those of us sailing in June will find out soon enough.

Live stations available will be determined by satellites in that region and a very complicated web of broadcast rights fees and issues. Basically for each region Princess will have a menu to choose from at certain prices and will pick the more reasonable ones. The same holds true for special events like the superbowl., etc

Also, some carriers are always in dispute with some networks over fees so may not have that channel at a given time (like the dispute in NYC a year plus ago)

Finally, atmospheric conditions can possibly affect availability.

So in short, it has nothing to do with which ship and everything to do with where.. The only advantage a newer ship might have is a more sensitive receiver or more advanced media server.

I've seen CNN rates run from several hundred per receiver (ship) per day to tens of thousands depending on who is providing the relay.

Non-live media (movies, music) is distributed via encrypted hard drive.

Thanks to all who respectfully responded. It would still be nice if Mr. Calouri would join the conversation and tell us how this decision is made, since it seems to vary by ship and/or geographical location. If he doesn't, I guess those of us sailing in June will find out soon enough.

I for one, am very pleased that FOX is offered on the ships. Usually before I leave the cabin for dinner I check in on the network. It is my preference.

NO, the OP was wondering why neither CNN nor ESPN were offered on her Grand cruise in Hawaii. Good to see this thread moved so Mr. Caluori can just deal with questions relating to the Royal Princess.

We were on the Grand round trip from Hawaii. The tv did not have CNN or ESPN. We were wondering why not?
It had nothing to do with offerings on the Royal this summer in the Med and on later cruises from FLL, NY, and Copenhagen. When we cruised out of Barcelona, Princess offered ESPN International and ESPN 2 (international version, which seemed like a blend of ESPN and ESPN 2, but very US focused).

Different cruise lines have different television packages depending on the line, the location of the cruise, and packages subscribed.

You have got to be kidding! FOX?

To each his own.

Odd combination.

I don't really watch any news on cruises. I like to watch

movies in the cabin -- in 10 minute intervals, out of sequence.

So, each time I'm in the cabin I see a few minutes. By the end

of the cruise, if I'm lucky I've see a whole movie.

This board is not supposed to be used as a political statement sounding board.

With that in mind I'll simply say I had rather have my gums scrapped as to have to watch MSNBC or CNN as my only source of news!

However I concur that ESPN is always a welcomed sight on any TV.

These threads are reserved for questions about the Royal Princess. :rolleyes:

Hard to figure out why you would selfishly use Royal Princess Q&A for questions about Fox or ESPN.

You got your links mixed up. This thread is on the main Princess Cruises forum, not the Royal Princess Q&A sub-forum.

I was also very disappointed on my last two cruises that CNN was not on the TV line up. I do not consider FOX or MSNBC as news stations - they are political talking heads for their respective parties - no news. They did have ESPN when available via the sat.

I just received my Captain's Circle book and they state that CNN will be available on the new Royal but it didn't mention other ships. The new Royal will have a free ship intranet page via the TV.

Good to see this thread moved so Mr. Caluori can just deal with questions relating to the Royal Princess.

I am sailing on the Royal Princess in June, which is why I was interested in this thread. I have started a new thread in the hope that Mr. Caluori will have the opportunity to answer a question of importance to me. :(

You got your links mixed up. This thread is on the main Princess Cruises forum, not the Royal Princess Q&A sub-forum.

This was moved from the Rai forum. No links are mixed up.

Linderas, I think the answers to your questions are in the thread. You should have CNN International, ESPN International, and ESPN 2 in your Med tv lineup. Those were the ones on our Ruby Princess Grand Med cruise. It's an amazing itinerary. Enjoy.

This was moved from the Rai forum. No links are mixed up.

Linderas, I think the answers to your questions are in the thread. You should have CNN International, ESPN International, and ESPN 2 in your Med tv lineup. Those were the ones on our Ruby Princess Grand Med cruise. It's an amazing itinerary. Enjoy.

I wanted an answer from Mr. Caluori, which I did not get.

Because it has nothing to do with the Royal Princess and the rules of that forum were clear.

Channel lineup depends on location, not ship. Whatever Princess ships happen to be where will get the same lineup.

I wanted an answer from Mr. Caluori, which I did not get.

This board is not supposed to be used as a political statement sounding board.

With that in mind I'll simply say I had rather have my gums scrapped as to have to watch MSNBC or CNN as my only source of news!

Ditto!!!

An if you don't like fox ... probably won't like BBC either.

just to switch gears a bit, we were on the Coral during the NBA playoffs and being a huge fan, (and after I bugged all the people I could, and I"m a girl!!!) I did get to watch my team kick some serious @#$ on the MUTS screen!!!

• 2 weeks later...
On our cruise from LA to Tahiti last fall, we had both FOX and MSNBC - we did not have CNN. Since this cruise was during the Presidential election, people from the United States were particularly interested in receiving the news.

I don't know why they didn't have CNN - it could be because of the cost of licensing. At least it appears that Princess did not show a political bias to one side or the other, since they carried both FOX and MSNBC.

This led to some discussions in the laundry rooms, since whoever got there first was able to change the channel on the laundry room TV, and you could usually tell someone's position in the presidential elections by their choice of FOX or MSNBC.

Because CNN in the past had only been an International Channel, it was hard to get National US) news during the day. I appreciated the fact that Princess gave us some choices: MSNBC, CNBC and Fox. ANd ESPN has always been on the Television.

Archived