Not long back from Journey. A few random thoughts.......

excitedofharpenden

I am not long back from Journey's repositioning cruise from Mumbai to Athens and now that I have on the whole got my land legs back will give a few thoughts and observations:

• I wasn't too sure about this itinerary. I booked it last year on Quest and it sounded like a bit of an adventure.

• Having done it I loved it. The more I cruise the more I enjoy the travel aspect and this one covers a lot of miles (or should I say nautical miles). It really is a Journey.

• The service as usual was so friendly that it doesn't take long to feel completely at home on all of those sea days. I was particularly impressed with the bar service. This cruise was the last of the old style 50% off pre-booked excursions/wine with lunch and dinner/all other alcoholic drinks were paid for. Once again I bought the premium beverage package and this worked out very well. The bar servers on Journey at the moment are great.

• The food in the MDR was excellent, save for one evening when I went to the Classic side of the menu because there wasn't anything I fancied as an entree on the right hand side. The standard chicken breast was a bit salty. Otherwise all of the dishes were really good and nicely presented.

• The ship wasn't full. 474 passengers I think. It wasn't busy although finding a cool spot to sun bathe was more difficult than usual. Forward on deck 11 was the favoured place for this. No-one seemed to be without a lounger and the pool and bar staff were always happy to seek out and bring a lounger from elsewhere.

• You may have seen from my "Live from Journey" thread that this cruise, being one that passages the known pirates area of the Gulf of Aden, does have some deck restrictions later on and the ship is effectively blacked out from 7pm to 6am. For me personally this was never an issue. The smoking area on deck 9 for those that may make use of it is kept open with minimal light and a sheet at the window (Heath Robinson like, but it worked).

• My Live from thread seemed to invoke a debate here about safety, unable to use the outside decks and balconies for part of the trip etc. All I can say is that at no time did I feel under threat and we were kept fully appraised by Captain Johannes. Azamara took many steps to ensure that we were kept safe and informed. The issue of no balcony use or outside decks for part of the cruise? Of more importance is to know just how hot and humid it was on those curfew days. At sea the temperature was probably near 100F (38C) during the day and at night it was around 86F (30C). With humidity of around 60% it felt very hot and with a breeze following us staying in the aircon was the best plan.

• This was my first cruise on Quest or Journey since the refurb. What can I say about this? To be honest Journey looked much the same as it did when I was last on it. No bad thing. They are warm and welcoming ships with a lot of character. Frankly the updates in the MDR looked hideous and out of keeping. The Captain's table is now a large round affair in the middle of the dining room under the new "chandelier". I thought it was better in the corner when it was oval. My suite hadn't been updated save for the balcony furniture which I thought a vast improvement over the old.

• On occasions the service in the MDR lacked finesse. For dinner at times it was very slow. At breakfast and depending upon who you got as a waiter it was either very good or laughably bad. I do mean laughably because all of the crew have such a great attitude you can't help but go along with them. The morning of the black pudding served with Parma Ham and melon will be forever etched on my brain. I haven't laughed so hard in ages (except when the lettuce on the hamburgers blew off the three plates as the waiter carried them through the electric doors to the aft Sunset Bar - you really did have to be there).

• We met a lovely group of people via the roll call and beyond and laughter was shared many times on the trip. It's always the people that make the cruise.

If I was honest I was disappointed by the "updates" and if Azamara are gunning for more ££s/$$$s because of it then they are misguided. It worries me that they are pricing themselves into a different market. They'd be better off sticking with what they are good at within a market they comfortably fit. I will be watching prices carefully. Having a wonderful crew and visible officers counts for a lot, but there is a limit.

I don't want to leave on a downer. In summary a wonderful cruise on a lovely ship with a great crew. It's a "Journey" I want to repeat.

Phil

Thanks Phil

That is a really well balanced review and given the number of cruises you had done, it is helpful to read your take on what is or is not better in the updated ship

But as a lover of the Black pudding, why not serve it with melon and parma ham, I am sure Heston will be so pleased to see that kind of innovation :)

I am keen to add this cruise to my bucket list, I have no concerns about the safety issues or the restrictions, my view is the cruiseline will take the steps that are necessary and who am I to judge if that is enough or too much

I am not long back from Journey's repositioning cruise from Mumbai to Athens and now that I have on the whole got my land legs back will give a few thoughts and observations:

• I wasn't too sure about this itinerary. I booked it last year on Quest and it sounded like a bit of an adventure.

• Having done it I loved it. The more I cruise the more I enjoy the travel aspect and this one covers a lot of miles (or should I say nautical miles). It really is a Journey.

• The service as usual was so friendly that it doesn't take long to feel completely at home on all of those sea days. I was particularly impressed with the bar service. This cruise was the last of the old style 50% off pre-booked excursions/wine with lunch and dinner/all other alcoholic drinks were paid for. Once again I bought the premium beverage package and this worked out very well. The bar servers on Journey at the moment are great.

• The food in the MDR was excellent, save for one evening when I went to the Classic side of the menu because there wasn't anything I fancied as an entree on the right hand side. The standard chicken breast was a bit salty. Otherwise all of the dishes were really good and nicely presented.

• The ship wasn't full. 474 passengers I think. It wasn't busy although finding a cool spot to sun bathe was more difficult than usual. Forward on deck 11 was the favoured place for this. No-one seemed to be without a lounger and the pool and bar staff were always happy to seek out and bring a lounger from elsewhere.

• You may have seen from my "Live from Journey" thread that this cruise, being one that passages the known pirates area of the Gulf of Aden, does have some deck restrictions later on and the ship is effectively blacked out from 7pm to 6am. For me personally this was never an issue. The smoking area on deck 9 for those that may make use of it is kept open with minimal light and a sheet at the window (Heath Robinson like, but it worked).

• My Live from thread seemed to invoke a debate here about safety, unable to use the outside decks and balconies for part of the trip etc. All I can say is that at no time did I feel under threat and we were kept fully appraised by Captain Johannes. Azamara took many steps to ensure that we were kept safe and informed. The issue of no balcony use or outside decks for part of the cruise? Of more importance is to know just how hot and humid it was on those curfew days. At sea the temperature was probably near 100F (38C) during the day and at night it was around 86F (30C). With humidity of around 60% it felt very hot and with a breeze following us staying in the aircon was the best plan.

• This was my first cruise on Quest or Journey since the refurb. What can I say about this? To be honest Journey looked much the same as it did when I was last on it. No bad thing. They are warm and welcoming ships with a lot of character. Frankly the updates in the MDR looked hideous and out of keeping. The Captain's table is now a large round affair in the middle of the dining room under the new "chandelier". I thought it was better in the corner when it was oval. My suite hadn't been updated save for the balcony furniture which I thought a vast improvement over the old.

• On occasions the service in the MDR lacked finesse. For dinner at times it was very slow. At breakfast and depending upon who you got as a waiter it was either very good or laughably bad. I do mean laughably because all of the crew have such a great attitude you can't help but go along with them. The morning of the black pudding served with Parma Ham and melon will be forever etched on my brain. I haven't laughed so hard in ages (except when the lettuce on the hamburgers blew off the three plates as the waiter carried them through the electric doors to the aft Sunset Bar - you really did have to be there).

• We met a lovely group of people via the roll call and beyond and laughter was shared many times on the trip. It's always the people that make the cruise.

If I was honest I was disappointed by the "updates" and if Azamara are gunning for more ££s/$$$s because of it then they are misguided. It worries me that they are pricing themselves into a different market. They'd be better off sticking with what they are good at within a market they comfortably fit. I will be watching prices carefully. Having a wonderful crew and visible officers counts for a lot, but there is a limit.

I don't want to leave on a downer. In summary a wonderful cruise on a lovely ship with a great crew. It's a "Journey" I want to repeat.

Phil

Hi Phil,

Found your review very interesting and am so glad you had a good trip, as did we on the Quest at around the same time.

Quite honestly I found the refurbishment a bit of a non event. They really overplayed their hand when they originally announced it.

The Quest had already moved over to 'More Inclusive' and apart from Kir Royales and Bellinis the complimentary list was fine for me.

Interestingly this was the first of my 8 Quest cruises that didn't sail full or virtually full - we had 525 pax and like you our fellow passengers were lovely people and the conversation was as fun and lively as ever.

I too wonder whether the demographic they are now attempting to attract is the right one but there seem to be quite a few deals out there at the moment and Lottie and I have booked another week on Quest in October.

Think my main concern is that these lovely ships are getting older. I am hoping they have plans to enlarge the fleet soon. Like you we had whispers on our cruise. I hope the launch of Viking Ocean cruises in 2015 which may appeal to the same market segment will encourage them to make an announcement which would reassure us all.

I too wonder whether the demographic they are now attempting to attract is the right one but there seem to be quite a few deals out there at the moment and Lottie and I have booked another week on Quest in October.

Hazel, which one are you booked on? I'm looking seriously at Quest 16th October if I can be away again then.

Phil

Interesting comments. We recently returned from a cruise from Mumbai to Safaga, Egypt on the Regent Journey and had similiar security safeguards. We also found that on the hot sea days it was much harder to get chaises in the shade than in the sun. We're planning to take a Baltic trip in 2014 on the Journey ( we previously sailed on her for South America) and was hoping for more exciting refurbishments.

Interesting comments. We recently returned from a cruise from Mumbai to Safaga, Egypt on the Regent Journey and had similiar security safeguards. We also found that on the hot sea days it was much harder to get chaises in the shade than in the sun. We're planning to take a Baltic trip in 2014 on the Journey ( we previously sailed on her for South America) and was hoping for more exciting refurbishments.

I'll normally retreat to the shade, but it was SO hot on the pool deck the only place to be was in the breeze that was inevitably in the sun. The aft bar got too hot for me on occasions too so we'd eat our lunch inside. I shouldn't complain about the weather though. Most of it was clear, cloudless skies. Really beautiful. Oh and Mumbai. I knew there were beggars there, but the streets are jam packed at night with them sleeping rough. Everywhere! In near 90 degree temperatures. Made me feel very humble and grateful for what I have.

Phil

Thanks for the balanced review Phil and I think you broadly mirror my own thoughts on the way Azamara is marketing itself. Stick with what works so well please AZ. The "improvements" to the ships are not that amazing.....but the wonderful food, service and your outstanding officers and crew are what make us all return time after time.

We had a great cruise on Quest too.....lots of laughing, a fair bit of drinking.....and quite a lot of shopping! :D

And Phil, please think about the Oct 8th itinerary if you could manage it! Hazel and I got a brilliant deal for a single Balcony each.....and you know we would all have a really good time. We might also book another cruise for the end of July or August, because 5 months is too long to wait. :)

And Nathalia, Russ and Helene said to say Hi to you. They would like to see you back on Quest soon.

Hi Phil,

Thank you for your excellent and balanced review. I agree with you, that the refurbishment (from what I saw on Quest in March) was pretty much a non-event. Some updates were very nice, and others were just ok. In hindsight, I wish Azamara had not overplayed it, without being certain everything they hoped for, would come to reality. As much as Azamara fans were disappointed, I'm willing to bet that everyone at Azamara were disappointed as well. Who knows ? Perhaps there's a perfectly good reason for their decision - i.e. new ships etc, so I'm fine with waiting a bit longer to see what the future holds.

Thanks again for your review. I'm glad you had a great cruise, and welcome home !

We did the outbound Athens - Mumbai in 2012, and I have to agree that the anti-piracy precautions in no way affected enjoyment of the cruise - In fact we had a real Safe Haven which was 'interesting'.

Re your black pudding/melon combo - I tried kippers for breakfast on the one morning that we had breakfast in the Dining Room. Came with fried onions and boiled potatoes - Interesting!

Thank you for your review; it's good to see things from a different perspective, particularly when my own response to the cruise was very different to yours. I have submitted my own review some days ago, but no doubt it is working it's way through the system.

I don't want to repeat myself at length here but I should note that I would not have booked the cruise if I had been informed that I could not use my balcony nor the outside decks at night for a very substantial part of the cruise. One of the reasons I love being at sea is that I can star watch; I have lived in central London for many years, where there are very few visible stars.

Since I would not have booked the cruise in the first place I would not then have been greatly disappointed by the company's total failure to live up to its claims about cultural immersion.

I have nothing but praise for my fellow passengers; it's just that I would have preferred to meet them on another ship!

Hi Phil,

Perhaps there's a perfectly good reason for their decision - i.e. new ships etc, so I'm fine with waiting a bit longer to see what the future holds.

Please don't hold your breath waiting because we need you as a moderator. When Larry arrived, he famously announced I didn't come here to run a 2 ship line. Years later the competition has grown. Oceania has added 2,400 passengers (when Insignia returns) and Viking will come on line with 1,800 passengers in 2015. Isn't the market being glutted - that is what the balcony for inside cabin promo is all about. Isn't it clear that RCL has decided to use its capex budget elsewhere?

Thank you for your review; it's good to see things from a different perspective, particularly when my own response to the cruise was very different to yours. I have submitted my own review some days ago, but no doubt it is working it's way through the system.

I don't want to repeat myself at length here but I should note that I would not have booked the cruise if I had been informed that I could not use my balcony nor the outside decks at night for a very substantial part of the cruise. One of the reasons I love being at sea is that I can star watch; I have lived in central London for many years, where there are very few visible stars.

Since I would not have booked the cruise in the first place I would not then have been greatly disappointed by the company's total failure to live up to its claims about cultural immersion.

I have nothing but praise for my fellow passengers; it's just that I would have preferred to meet them on another ship!

I have to ask. Are you from Dunfermline whose wife won the single ticket for the excursion in Santorini and who "gatecrashed" the second Cruise Critic meeting that I didn't go to? If you are then I enjoyed meeting you both and will not give your names here to protect the innocent ;). You'll always find opposing views of the same experience and that is of course why life is never boring! I spoke to many guests on the ship. I'm never shy at talking to people. From the feedback I received I'd say your view was in the minority, but nonetheless valid for you. I was fortunate to have come here and done research of this trip and knew there would be some limitations given the pirate issues. Especially because of our geographic route.

You mentioned about star gazing. As a dichotomy to the situation, I walked out to the smokers area late one evening (ok it was late night after Looking Glass) and glanced up at the sky. I don't think I have ever seen so many stars. It was totally dark out there, something I have never experienced on a cruise before. Note to self for next time. I must bring my good binoculars.

Phil

Re your black pudding/melon combo - I tried kippers for breakfast on the one morning that we had breakfast in the Dining Room. Came with fried onions and boiled potatoes - Interesting!

Ah yes, kippers ... On an Azamara cruise several years ago we decided to eat in the MDR as they had kippers on the menu. I ordered kippers every day and every day I was served smoked mackerel ..The maitre d' promised me that the next day I would have kippers - they arrived - mackerel again.

I questioned this with our waiter who told me that they were indeed kippers but "Azamara style" !!

I think the "genuine" kippers finally arrived a few days before the end of the cruise ...

We were also on this cruise. Not at any time were we told not to go out on our balconies. Complete darkness was the rule, but with no balcony light on and with no light on in the cabin, we enjoyed the stars almost every night. Phil is correct, if this was the 'dealbreaker' for you, a TINY bit of research would have yielded results and prevented your disappointment. This cruise easily ranked as one of our best cruises ever!

Thank you Phil for an EXCELLENT 'recap'. We agree with each and every one of your comments.

John and Paul

We were also on this cruise. Not at any time were we told not to go out on our balconies. Complete darkness was the rule, but with no balcony light on and with no light on in the cabin, we enjoyed the stars almost every night. Phil is correct, if this was the 'dealbreaker' for you, a TINY bit of research would have yielded results and prevented your disappointment. This cruise easily ranked as one of our best cruises ever!

Thank you Phil for an EXCELLENT 'recap'. We agree with each and every one of your comments.

John and Paul

John, it was great to meet you and Paul. I enjoyed our chats and hope our paths cross again.

Phil

Thanks Phil for initiating this thread as well as earlier posts while onboard.

Since it is highly unlikely I'll ever convince my wife to sail on this itinerary, it was really enjoyable to read your insights and descriptions that allowed for at least a vicarious experience.

I also really appreciated the comments of others on the same cruise or who had sailed in that vicinity.

I'm a little sad that this discussion is coming to an end.

I have to ask. Are you from Dunfermline whose wife won the single ticket for the excursion in Santorini and who "gatecrashed" the second Cruise Critic meeting that I didn't go to? If you are then I enjoyed meeting you both and will not give your names here to protect the innocent ;). You'll always find opposing views of the same experience and that is of course why life is never boring! I spoke to many guests on the ship. I'm never shy at talking to people. From the feedback I received I'd say your view was in the minority, but nonetheless valid for you. I was fortunate to have come here and done research of this trip and knew there would be some limitations given the pirate issues. Especially because of our geographic route.

You mentioned about star gazing. As a dichotomy to the situation, I walked out to the smokers area late one evening (ok it was late night after Looking Glass) and glanced up at the sky. I don't think I have ever seen so many stars. It was totally dark out there, something I have never experienced on a cruise before. Note to self for next time. I must bring my good binoculars.

Phil

No, I am not from Dunfermline, nor married to someone from Dunfermline so you may rest easy on that score!

I was surprised, however, to learn from you that exceptions were made to the apparent iron rule that no-one was allowed on the open decks; if it was acceptable for smokers then it should have been acceptable for all passengers to do so. A security risk does not miraculously cease to be a risk because clouds of smoke are billowing upwards, though I do appreciate, upon reflection, that the Captain may have feared a mutiny had he done otherwise :)

I remain of the view that the cruise company should have disclosed its plans to potential passengers so that we were given an honest description of the cruise and could decide on the facts.

Incidentally, I was joined in that view by two members of the onboard Typhon team who were disturbed by the fact that civilians had not been warned of the potential dangers. Of course, they were the people tasked with directly protecting the lives of those on board the vessel, and former marines tend to be rather more clued up about the nature of combat than Captains of cruise ships, which is possibly why they were worried and the Captain wasn't :)

And it appears that the company's failure to advise us of the fact that they considered the risks to be so high that armed private security personnel would be onboard would have invalidated my travel insurance; again, people have different views, and there may well be passengers who are not concerned about that sort of thing, but I am not one of them.

However, we all survived to sail again and I am looking at the enticing pictures of Viking's new ship; I'm endeavouring not to get too excited since they seem uninterested, as yet, in UK cruisers. I'm wondering whether the apparent mad rush of a lot of cruise providers to offload cut rate cabins in the Med is influencing them but that infinity pool does look delightful...

And it appears that the company's failure to advise us of the fact that they considered the risks to be so high that armed private security personnel would be onboard would have invalidated my travel insurance; again, people have different views, and there may well be passengers who are not concerned about that sort of thing, but I am not one of them. ...

All cruise ships have armed security personnel on board, it is just that on a cruise in this part of the world, additional personnel are taken on board with further specialist knowledge. I can see absolutely no reason why their existence on board would invalidate your travel insurance policy unless you have a very unusual policy. I have checked all our policies (for various reasons we have several) and none of them would be invalidated, the only invalidation would come if we were travelling in an area where there was Foreign and Commonwealth Office guidance not to travel in that area. That is not the case in the area you were cruising.

I have had discussions on a previous voyage with an Azamara captain about the desk top exercises they go through and briefings ahead of each sailing in that area. I also know the degree of diligence Captain Tysse applies in his work and there is absolutely no way he would be blind to any potential dangers and would be judging the extent to which he had to restrict passenger movements based on all the information available to him.

Sorry, but if you felt uncomfortable about sailing in that area, I would say this was a lack of due diligence on your part given that you were not placed in any more risk than in other cruises, what you saw was the cruise line managing the situation to maintain risk levels. Would you be equally unhappy if you were restricted from balconies or outside decks on a transatlantic cruise - yes that happens if there were storm force winds?

I remain of the view that the cruise company should have disclosed its plans to potential passengers so that we were given an honest description of the cruise and could decide on the facts.

And it appears that the company's failure to advise us of the fact that they considered the risks to be so high that armed private security personnel would be onboard would have invalidated my travel insurance; again, people have different views, and there may well be passengers who are not concerned about that sort of thing, but I am not one of them.

I find it surprising that anyone would join this cruise and not research where they were going, or be surprised at the additional risks and added security.

Why did you select this sailing in the first place?

How many port stops were on this cruise? You said "Total Failure". Usually the cultural immersion takes place on land.

I find it surprising that anyone would join this cruise and not research where they were going, or be surprised at the additional risks and added security.

Why did you select this sailing in the first place?

I would agree. I said the same thing before, during and after this cruise. It was not your typical Azamara trip. Out of 14 nights there were only two port stops (Fujairah and Santorini). Not a culturally immersive cruise, but a repositioning trip. It should also be noted that this cruise was a GREAT price and this I feel needs bearing in mind in the final analysis.

Just a word on the smoking area. Willow, not sure if you went out there during the "curfew". There were no lights on at all, just about half a dozen of the electric candle lamps on the table. If you were sitting next to someone you wouldn't have been able to see their face. The sheet at the window prevented any light spillage from inside when the swing door opened. The point of requesting people not to walk on the open decks was so there was a good degree of control around the ship of this possible leaking of lights from inside. Once in the smoking area (only accessed from inside via the swing door forward on deck 9 starboard side) you couldn't walk out to the rest of the pool deck because it was blocked off. To talk of smoke billowing out is way over the top. Honestly I never observed any smoke billowing, day or night and it was dark so you couldn't see it anyway. You make it sound like Azamara were negligent, which they most certainly weren't from my reasoned observations. Just wanted to make that point.

Phil

Archived