Things to do in Florence besides museums.

cruisingusa

I think cruising works very well for visiting Italy, except it might take a couple of cruises. It's especially great if your cruise starts and ends in different places. For example, if your

cruise starts in Venice and ends in Rome (Civitavecchia) you will likely have almost a couple of days in Venice, and you can add 2 or 3 days at the end of the cruise to spend time in Rome. Since most cruises that start in Venice overnight there and you will have about a day and a half in Venice, if you go over a day or two earlier, you can visit Verona and Padua, or you can fly into Florence, spend several days there, then take the train to Venice and start your cruise.

Once you are on the Ship, you simply unpack and relax. Depending on the itinerary, you could visit the following Italian ports: Ravenna, Bari and Naples or Salerno.

In addition, however, you will get a peek at other countries you might not consider visiting, such as Slovenia, Croatia and Montenegro -- all of which are wonderful destinations. Or your Italian ports might be combined with ports in Greece -- another beautiful destination.

What''s really great about cruising is not simply visiting these wonderful countries/cities, but being able to relax and have fun while being "transported."

Good luck!!

We visited the leather school. No students were working the day we were there but the building was interesting. You can also purchase items there.

I have taken friends to see the leather school. Even if you don't see craftspeople working, just going through and seeing those wonderful purses on display was enough for a little diversion. They put the big-name purses to shame! I actually bought my first leather jacket there my first trip to Florence. In the school, you can pick up some less expensive things, like their little wallets, bookmarks and such. Even those little things have craftsmanship of handmade things that you won't find in San Lorenzo market.

• 4 weeks later...
You could take a local bus up the hill to Fiesole. A small, charming town with great views of Florence and the countryside. As I recall, it is about a 10 minute bus ride on the local transit system.

I second this recommendation, the view overlooking the city is wonderful, lots of olive trees. Great terraces for having lunch.

Or get a bottle of Prosecco in a plaza near the reproduction of David and people watch.

Our first trip to Italy was a 2 week Perillo tour that was fabulous.We traveled on a tour bus with about 20 wonderful people and visited some very interesting sites. The hotels we stayed at were great and places we ate at were the best! Have been back to Italy 5 times since. This Sept. will be our sixth. :):):)

hey Cornish- what is your cruise date? we go October 20.

I'm not on a Med cruise this summer (that vid was from 2011). We sail from Dover - Barcelona on August 10. Not as many obviously glamourous ports as yours but no doubt plenty to see along the way on a cruise day. Enjoy yours !

• 4 weeks later...

As an "older" I love going on a cruise. I use private excursions, and spend a couple of days pre and post cruise in the city I choose to start from. In my case, the last and the next cruise, start and end in Civitavecchia...and yes, it's close to an hour from Rome. It was exactly what we wanted. We have no packing and unpacking. Our guide was always waiting outside the ship with a sign with our name. We got to see twice as much as on the cruise line excursions without being rushed or spending time waiting on a straggler to show up. We knew that every morning we would be in a different port and would have a new adventure waiting outside our balcony. We found land vacations to be more difficult and less enjoyable. Everyone has a different opinion.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Shops in the center of town, especially tourist focused ones, will be open. Most, if not all, of the jewelry shops on the Ponte Vecchio will open but will have shorter hours (later opening and earlier closing than other days).

For example, Rinascente, the big department store, is open on Sundays from 10:30 AM - 8 PM (other days they open at 9 and close at 9).