Aqua Class & Main Dining Room

Terpnut

We are traveling as a 3-generation family of six on an upcoming Med cruise. We all originally had regular balcony guarantees, but with recent price drops, my wife and two kids upgraded to adjoining Concierge class staterooms. In the meantime, and unbeknownst to me, my parents scored a supposedly better upgrade to an Aqua class guarantee for the same amount.

The problem is that we all really want to eat together. Given that my parents are now AC, I've told my dad that AC passengers are supposed to eat in Blu and he may have lost his dining assignment with us in the main dining room. So I'm not sure what the value of his AC upgrade is especially if he has absolutely no interest in eating at Blu!

My questions are:

1. Will Celebrity allow Aqua class passengers to not eat in Blu and eat in the MDR with a guaranteed table assignment with the rest of the family?

2. Alternatively, will X allow an AC to downgrade to CC even if the current pricing on the CC is much higher than what he paid for AC?

3. Is it possible or has anyone in Concierge class ever had luck eating in Blu? We had the option to eat in Blu being suite guests previously but I know this is very unlikely for CC.

And I've already suggested my dad call his TA to ask about all this but he booked with an awful TA that is not very responsive!

If he has no interest in eating in Blu, not even for breakfast, the upgrade probably wasn't the best fit for your parents

He can PROBABLY arrange to eat in the MDR with you, once on board, but will have lost his original table assignment and it will require some shuffling of tables to put the group back together, so you'll need to consult the MaitreD immediately (his hours will be announced in the Daily on embarkation day). I emphasize probably because there is a small chance that the seating time you have chosen is "sold out" or "overbooked" and that would make it more difficult to put the group together

As to the question of changing to a CC room, only Celebrity (or your travel agent) can answer that.

The non-Aqua passengers sailing in Concierge class will not be allowed to dine in Blu. Suite passengers MAY, on a space available basis. No others can.

No chance for Concierge Class to dine in Blu. Also highly unlikely that Celebrity would permit your parents to downgrade if the lower category has a higher current price than they paid. While you may be able to work something out once onboard to have your parents assigned to a table with you in the main dining room, I would not count on this being definitely accommodated.

The best plan may be for the two booked in Concierge Class to opt for Select Dining; then your parents should be able to join you in the Select area of the main dining room for dinner; generally people booked in Aqua Class are accommodated in the select dining area of the main dining room upon request, assuming there is availability (almost always there is). Another option may be for the two parties booked in Concierge Class to upgrade to Aqua Class (if staterooms are available and not significantly higher than what was already paid) - then all dine together at Blu.

Hope it all works out.

If he has no interest in eating in Blu, not even for breakfast, the upgrade probably wasn't the best fit for your parents

He can PROBABLY arrange to eat in the MDR with you, once on board, but will have lost his original table assignment and it will require some shuffling of tables to put the group back together, so you'll need to consult the MaitreD immediately (his hours will be announced in the Daily on embarkation day). I emphasize probably because there is a small chance that the seating time you have chosen is "sold out" or "overbooked" and that would make it more difficult to put the group together

As to the question of changing to a CC room, only Celebrity (or your travel agent) can answer that.

The non-Aqua passengers sailing in Concierge class will not be allowed to dine in Blu. Suite passengers MAY, on a space available basis. No others can.

Thank you for confirming everything I had thought. I guess the ball is in my dad's (and his TA's) court! :)

No chance for Concierge Class to dine in Blu. Also highly unlikely that Celebrity would permit your parents to downgrade if the lower category has a higher current price than they paid. While you may be able to work something out once onboard to have your parents assigned to a table with you in the main dining room, I would not count on this being definitely accommodated.

The best plan may be for the two booked in Concierge Class to opt for Select Dining; then your parents should be able to join you in the Select area of the main dining room for dinner; generally people booked in Aqua Class are accommodated in the select dining area of the main dining room upon request, assuming there is availability (almost always there is). Another option may be for the two parties booked in Concierge Class to upgrade to Aqua Class (if staterooms are available and not significantly higher than what was already paid) - then all dine together at Blu.

Hope it all works out.

I personally like your idea to go with Select Dining but my wife insists on early fixed seating and my parents must eat with their grandkids! Quite the dilemma! :rolleyes:

As for upgrading, I considered that but we missed the window by hours so barring another price drop, the AC staterooms are quite a bit higher now. Thanks!

I personally like your idea to go with Select Dining but my wife insists on early fixed seating and my parents must eat with their grandkids! Quite the dilemma! :rolleyes:

As for upgrading, I considered that but we missed the window by hours so barring another price drop, the AC staterooms are quite a bit higher now. Thanks!

Also, when your father booked in AQ, he did lose his assignment in the MDR. Blu replaces the MDR for all AQ customers.

A lot of people report that they have the same servers each night I Select Dining. Couldn't you just plan to eat at 6 and always ask for the same servers?

Also, when your father booked in AQ, he did lose his assignment in the MDR. Blu replaces the MDR for all AQ customers.

We ate in the MDR on our cruise last month, and had table mates who we did not know, but they were Aqua people, they alternated Blu with the MDR..

Our waiters simply went ahead as usual , at our booked time, and didn't query whether the others were coming that night or not.

with select you can make reservations for anytime, we did it our last cruise and it worked OK but since there were 3 of us we always got a table for 6 and never had the same waiter twice which I did not really like. But for you it sounds like you have a table's worth of guests so go select book you time link your reservations and see if you can get the same table every night. Next time use the same TA many advantages to multiple rooms with same agent.

We've taken a couple of Mediterranean cruises and saw lots of MDR tables unoccupied likely due to the intensive port schedule. We had lots of different people seated at our table, for various reasons. Some said they missed their early dining time, others were from Blu. The short is that the staff were very accommodating as long as there is room. I don't think the same would be true in the other direction. They keep a tight watch on the door at Blu, which we think is a great alternative to the MDR. Don't be surprised if your parents decide on at least 1 private night. Also, IMO the breakfast in Blu is much better than MDR or buffet. Have fun on your trip!

We've taken a couple of Mediterranean cruises and saw lots of MDR tables unoccupied likely due to the intensive port schedule. We had lots of different people seated at our table, for various reasons. Some said they missed their early dining time, others were from Blu. The short is that the staff were very accommodating as long as there is room. I don't think the same would be true in the other direction. They keep a tight watch on the door at Blu, which we think is a great alternative to the MDR. Don't be surprised if your parents decide on at least 1 private night. Also, IMO the breakfast in Blu is much better than MDR or buffet. Have fun on your trip!
The irony is that my parents only want to spend time with their grandkids and have NO interest in Blu. But my wife and I enjoy Blu so if anyone is sneaking away for private couple time--it'll be us! Seeing that my parents are unlikely to ever visit Blu, I might just switch room keys and we might go in their place for an evening or two! :p:D

The irony is that my parents only want to spend time with their grandkids and have NO interest in Blu. But my wife and I enjoy Blu so if anyone is sneaking away for private couple time--it'll be us! Seeing that my parents are unlikely to ever visit Blu, I might just switch room keys and we might go in their place for an evening or two! :p:D

I think that is a good idea! You'll enjoy Blu.

Just keep in mind that those assigned to Blu (Aqua Class) may not be able to use the Select Dining option in the MDR. We ran into this problem on the Silhouette where the maitre'd at the Select Dining entrance (to the MDR) refused entry to anyone who was in Aqua Class. If we wanted to dine in the MDR (we did this a couple of times) we had to go to the Maitre d at the entrance of Blu and make arrangments. He would call the MDR and arrange for us to dine at the late sitting (he would also do this for those wanting early seating) and we had to report to the lower level of the MDR (the fixed seating section) where their Maitre d took us to a table (everyone else at the table was on assigned seating).

Hank

It all depends on how many are signed up for each seating option. If one seating or another is sold out, there may not be much flexibility. It's just a shame that your parents took the AQ option when their priority was to eat with the family.

We ate in the MDR on our cruise last month, and had table mates who we did not know, but they were Aqua people, they alternated Blu with the MDR..

Our waiters simply went ahead as usual , at our booked time, and didn't query whether the others were coming that night or not.

Yes and some of the ships put the AQ customers in Select while others in Traditional however you will only have one place where a table is available for you, MDR or Blu. If in AQ, your default is Blu and you lose any assignment at a table in the MDR.

Archived