Quantum Keel Blocks are in the House!

Master_Schnief - On your last photo that shows a dredging barge at the locks are those orange rollers to the right newly installed? I recall some new ones installed just before the locks as you leave the harbor during the NCL Breakaway river conveyance.

As far as I remember, those rollers have been installed at once before the Breakaway or Getaway river conveyance. For those ships, the yard didn't necessarily need the rollers to get the vessels through the lock. But as Quantum-Class ships are 41,4 meters wide and the lock is about 46 after some modifications (which are just finished), the rollers become a great help for the conveyance. They lean Quantum against the rollers and then slide her along them. That is way safer, because you don't have to care about both sides of the ship not to collide with the lock. They practiced this procedure with the NCL ships.

10690115_555952947863951_833117666748034484_n.jpg?oh=00cbc8d705091d80c234498bc757e4f1&oe=54A3BBC5&__gda__=1423006092_a9bba78181df0ff5e294406bf33da8e9

I've been trying to figure out what the red sign says on the blank "mystery zone" wall. Logically it would say "SeaPlex Dog House" with the arrow point into the SeaPlex. It's impossible to read though, but it clearly does not have those words written on it and it looks kind of like the right side may be an arrow pointing to the deck 16 door from near RipCord into the SeaPlex. Anyone have a guess as to what it may be a sign for? We still don't know what is in that large glass walled area under RipCord. The deck plans show an open space rather than a closed hallway like I would expect and the windows make it seem like more. Could just be storage but once again the open deckplans would make it seem otherwise. We know the one UK brochure specifically mentions mini golf, I'm still wondering if that is located in there. Not sure if the text matches, but it's certainly closer to saying "Quantum Dunes".

As far as I remember, those rollers have been installed at once before the Breakaway or Getaway river conveyance. For those ships, the yard didn't necessarily need the rollers to get the vessels through the lock. But as Quantum-Class ships are 41,4 meters wide and the lock is about 46 after some modifications (which are just finished), the rollers become a great help for the conveyance. They lean Quantum against the rollers and then slide her along them. That is way safer, because you don't have to care about both sides of the ship not to collide with the lock. They practiced this procedure with the NCL ships.

Thank you for detailed explanation. I do recall seeing some rollers for the first time during the NCL Breakaway Class ships building phase but not all. These seem to be hidden by the shrubs until your great photo revealed them. It is good that they could accommodate some modifications to widen the locks and even make the river deeper. I use to think that perhaps there were environmental constraints that limited them to widen the locks and deepen the river. As cruise ship building is a very important business for Pappenburg and with cruise ships getting bigger, adjustments have to be made to remain competitive. For now at least, we know the ships cannot be wider than the building dock.

When I went to the yard today (what a surprise, huh? ;) ), I saw some testing of the life boats. To be exact, life boat no. 1 was underway in the yard harbor. I have no idea what they tested.

So here's a little video I made for you before leaving to Hamburg for SMM tomorrow:

[YOUTUBE]<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/LCyRfMAVKGs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/YOUTUBE]

When I went to the yard today (what a surprise, huh? ;) ), I saw some testing of the life boats. To be exact, life boat no. 1 was underway in the yard harbor. I have no idea what they tested.

So here's a little video I made for you before leaving to Hamburg for SMM tomorrow:

Thanks for sharing.

Looking forward to your photos.

Edited by Lloyd555

And here we see why they left out one life boat:

0b3ae1a675509e0f5f5b43620bb8f951.jpg

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Thanks!

So the shelter(s) may end up offering somewhere to dine, or the model maker may have just stuck tables and chairs in there to fill the space.

Looks like this is the glass shelter on the starboard side based on the shape of the deck.

Edited by Lloyd555

And here we see why they left out one life boat:

Thanks for taking a close-up of this spot. Finally "revealed". I guest this area was meant to be surprise to cruise guest as it was not part of the "more to come" plus they made sure it was never in clear view of the webcam.

Thanks for taking a close-up of this spot. Finally "revealed". I guest this area was meant to be surprise to cruise guest as it was not part of the "more to come" plus they made sure it was never in clear view of the webcam.

Seems a bit odd though. Even based on the model, there's no inside access to the dining room or dining area.

I would be surprised if this were a more to come area, based on it's size.

The model may not be to scale, but if it is, it looks like it would only seat 30 people.

Looks good for a cafe or to enjoy pizza watching the sunset

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

I believe this is outside of Jamie Oliver's restaurant. Perhaps you need to be $$ eating there to access this area.

Seems a bit odd though. Even based on the model, there's no inside access to the dining room or dining area.

I would be surprised if this were a more to come area, based on it's size.

The model may not be to scale, but if it is, it looks like it would only seat 30 people.

Possible a door in the top left corner of the picture? Not sure, just a guess.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

Looks good for a cafe or to enjoy pizza watching the sunset

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

Would have been awesome if this was near Sorrento's. The one is clearly near Jamie's Italian and the other is across a hall from the one lounge.

I believe this is outside of Jamie Oliver's restaurant. Perhaps you need to be $$ eating there to access this area.

There are two of these glass enclosures. One on the Port side before the third to last Lifeboat and the other on the Starboard side before the second to last Lifeboat.

Possible a door in the top left corner of the picture? Not sure, just a guess.

I don't think there is a real door. It seems that there is a walkway/path along the side of the windows which allows for access to this area and other locations of deck 5 outside promenade. Part of the dark blue paint is the walkway and you can see it lead to a door at the top left of the photo.

Edited by Tall-Cruiser

I don't think there is a real door. It seems that there is a walkway/path along the side of the windows which allows for access to this area and other locations of deck 5 outside promenade. Part of the dark blue paint is the walkway and you can see it lead to a door at the top left of the photo.

I may have been a little confused with the question that I quoted before my response. I thought that the poster was talking about a door coming from the inside of the ship to get to the outside (which is the door that I was talking about in the top left :)). I guess they meant a door into the glass area.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

I may have been a little confused with the question that I quoted before my response. I thought that the poster was talking about a door coming from the inside of the ship to get to the outside (which is the door that I was talking about in the top left :)). I guess they meant a door into the glass area.

I see what you saying after looking back at the other posts. Maybe I was confused :)

I got some more close-ups for you. Sorry for posting them so late but I had to do some business at SMM and then my battery died. However, I hope you enjoy the photos.

The North Star will be delivered to Bremerhaven in early october. I also talked to a company involved in the North Star. They were not allowed to give me details about it.

The river conveyance is planned for the end of next week or the weekend around october 20th.

3097e8bc523e94a63807852cbd706221.jpg

0e98c1a49ee88708787943d3508efa64.jpg

5eaf0d424fcdf7be6f3eef6e0d17c37b.jpg

1f14570f6f49a0d40cc43aec376d0f3c.jpg

cbfefd558c097185d4e760280d22e5be.jpg

Edited by MasterSchnief

I got some more close-ups for you. Sorry for posting them so late but I had to do some business at SMM and then my battery died. However, I hope you enjoy the photos.

The North Star will be delivered to Bremerhaven in early october. I also talked to a company involved in the North Star. They were not allowed to give me details about it.

The river conveyance is planned for the end of next week or the weekend around october 20th.

3097e8bc523e94a63807852cbd706221.jpg

0e98c1a49ee88708787943d3508efa64.jpg

5eaf0d424fcdf7be6f3eef6e0d17c37b.jpg

1f14570f6f49a0d40cc43aec376d0f3c.jpg

cbfefd558c097185d4e760280d22e5be.jpg

Thanks for another set of great close-ups of the model. For the conveyance you probably meant September 20th I'm guessing. Thanks again.

So did the model maker get carried away with placing tables, or are there supposed to be some in the bow? And are they for the passengers or crew? :D

Thanks again for the photos, Master_Schnief. Hope you enjoyed the visit to SMM 2014.

Edited by Lloyd555