How can formal night be enhanced? Suggestions...

Canuckdoc

This is Not, repeat Not, a dress code thread.

Merciful God in heaven above, this is not a dress code thread....Rather, this was born from an idea raised by a previous thread about 'Formal Night' not really involving any effort on the part of the cruise line...

On Monday, I ate in the MDR wearing a Polo shirt, on Tuesday, I ate in the MDR wearing a Tuxedo...only difference.

Oh, and they did have " Formal Night" written on the top of the Menu.

Now, I do enjoy getting Dressed up, and enough people were in Tuxedos, and the rest in Dark suits, But after getting all dressed up with no place to go, I wished that I would have left the Tux at home...

So, Other than keying in 10 letters on MicroSoft word menu program...what could they do to make it worth getting dressed up for?

What have other lines done that you've enjoyed?

The Bigger Ships all do photographers.

Disney was great because Mickey et al were all in Formal wear.

I would love to see Music in the MDR, Maybe more of a gala like 'party' before hand with floating Champagne and Photo-ops ...

Otherwise, It won't be packing space, or convenience, or personal beliefs that keep me from dressing up...it will be because I see no purpose in it...

(but again, please don't turn this into a Dress code thread...lets try to be constructive and help SS create/enhance an atmosphere)

Perhaps the crowd on your trip were not to your liking so formal evening was not great for you.

Clothes do not maketh the man but formal evening usually brings out the best in guests and the hard work that is done by all staff to insure that we have a great evening..

The menu should be special and not just ordinary,the wines should be a little better to compliment the cuisine.

I enjoy all evenings when on a ship but dress formally on a formal evening and always will do.

Canuckdoc

I totally respect your idea - and it is a great one. But equally (as it is) NOT about the dress code - it most certainly IS about the general reduction of SS quality and standards. Formal nights I'm sure were different from the others!

As you know I'm on the left hand side of the dress code scale - but do understand and respect that there's space for all tastes. I think what might achieve it for you and like-minded - is a lowering of the lights, an extra course or two of much more glam food (sorbet plus fish + ano) and a piano. Perhaps even a harpist on the entrance. I'd clean my shoes and have a scub for that!

Mr Luxury où avez-vous été?! Avons-nous vous offensé! :eek:

Does the wait staff don formal attire? Is there an event that takes place on a formal night? Lets move it to MDR to enhance the experience. How about handing out the Godiva chocolates in MDR, rather than waiting to see it in your suite?

Cunard would know how to do formal nights. They do it the same as informal nights, or so it seems to me.

I think what might achieve it for you and like-minded - is a lowering of the lights, an extra course or two of much more glam food (sorbet plus fish + ano) and a piano. Perhaps even a harpist on the entrance. I'd clean my shoes and have a scrub for that!

Now you're talking...

Formal night IS special ... if you are a VS member and are invited to the cocktail party. :-)

What happens at the Cocktail Party -- on a cruise with all inclusive cocktails, I can't see whay the entire boat isn't invited...is it at a small venue?

isn't everyone who sails with SS automatically considered to be (begged to join) the Venetian Society?

Perhaps SS could take a cue from SB where on one of the formal nights there is a gala dinner which is preset except for choice of main course and the offerings are truly special and different from what's on the menu the other nights. Menus are wrapped in red ribbons and there is an air of festivity.

If you use the CC App you should check the 'Signature' option in Advanced Options (the little gear wheel) as it looks like the recent update has added this text as a default signature :(

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Perhaps SS could take a cue from SB where on one of the formal nights there is a gala dinner which is preset except for choice of main course and the offerings are truly special and different from what's on the menu the other nights. Menus are wrapped in red ribbons and there is an air of festivity.

I must have slept through that evening on my SB cruise.

Absolutely agree that the formal nights should be really special and should be enhanced, as they once were. I particularly remember a 38 day cruise around South America on the Whisper in 2004. On the formal nights, there was dancing at dinner in the MDR, and there were lovely couples with ladies in elegant gowns who had really learned their on-board tango lessons. The best were British. The men's tuxedos were the perfect fit. And caviar accompanied by cold vodka was part of the ambiance. And it helped that the great Ray Solaire was cruise director! There was an elegance that made the formal night exciting. Restoring this ambiance, particularly on voyages with lots of sea days, would make the formal nights more relevant.

You can count this as another +1 for making the Formal Night more 'special' - I don't think it has to be much (or expensive from SS perspective) but something should set the Formal Night aside from just another evening in the MDR.

My husband and I like to dress up every night of our cruise but would love to see 'formal night' made a little more 'special' - agree with everything that's been suggested. Can't think of anything else to add but wanted to express my thanks to Canuckdoc for bringing this up. Hopefully someone from Silversea may read this.

Karin

Although we have just had the one voyage with Silversea (so far) there were 5 or 6 formal night (31 night cruise). We were struck by the fact that the only real difference between formal and other nights was the dress code. The notion of having something different for formal nights is an excellent one as long as those who wish not to get involved have options. Perhaps reserve the MDR for formal and have pianist/dancing whatever.

I have no suggestions largely because I have no imagination, but the idea of making formal nights special appeals.

Absolutely agree that the formal nights should be really special and should be enhanced, as they once were. I particularly remember a 38 day cruise around South America on the Whisper in 2004. On the formal nights, there was dancing at dinner in the MDR, and there were lovely couples with ladies in elegant gowns who had really learned their on-board tango lessons. The best were British. The men's tuxedos were the perfect fit. And caviar accompanied by cold vodka was part of the ambiance. And it helped that the great Ray Solaire was cruise director! There was an elegance that made the formal night exciting. Restoring this ambiance, particularly on voyages with lots of sea days, would make the formal nights more relevant.

This sounds incredible...

I would love to be a part of that atmosphere...

I would like to have music and dancing in the MDR. I'm probably in the minority on the dancing part, but that would make it very special for us.

We'd love dancing, too, like in the old Hollywood movies about transatlantic ocean liner travel.

Music in the MDR is a great idea in theory, but tastes differ, and I wonder if most people wouldn't rather have no music at all than music they did not care for? (I know I would.) If there are different styles of music around the ship, pax can go to the venue they prefer. In the MDR, diners are "stuck." I fear that trying to please everyone's musical taste would be difficult at best.

Archived