Buying shoes on-line

Scrapnana

For my next cruise I want a pair of low heeled silver shoes. There are none in the stores around me (I've been looking for about a year). I have found about 5 pairs that I like at shoebuy and zappos (no shipping either way). I have never ordered from either of them. What I am planning on doing is ordering one of each pair I like and wearing them around the house to see how comfortable they are. I will choose one pair (hopefully) and send the rest back. Has anyone ever done anything like this? Has anyone ever had any trouble returning shoes to either place?

Thanks for your input.

I've had great success with Zappos. I don't have any experience with the other site you mentioned. Read the customer reviews first focusing on fit and comfort. You may not need to return them.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Bought every pair of rainboots that DD liked from zappos.com. None fit. Returned the lot and she had to chose another round. One fit!:D All the rest were sent back. She must have returned 9 pair by the time she found the one.

The return process was very easy, hardest part was getting them to the storefront to be mailed. IIRC they use UPS.

I was watching one of the shopping channels and the hostess recommended shoppers to buy several sizes and return what doesn't fit.

Earlier this year I was shopping for shoes for a wedding and at one point I had about 50 pairs in my living room. It looked like a shoe store! (I have a hard-to-fit foot--sux). I order from Zappos.com. shoes.com, Footsmart.com, Nordstrom.com (return in store), and DSW.com (return in store) all the time. Never had a problem with anyone of them. (you can ship the store returns, but in store returns are easier for me.)

Zappos has great customer service, and I love the free shipping both ways! Amazon also has free shipping both ways on shoes and accessories! I found a great pair of waterproof hiking shoes, and a great price, for my wide foot.

Amazon also has free shipping both ways on shoes and accessories!

That depends on who the seller is.....Even with Prime, I've had to pay for shipping for some things I've ordered....

It's important to look at TOTAL cost of things too. I don't often order from Zappos because I can find the shoes cheaper elsewhere - sometimes even when I have to pay for that shipping. Nothing is free - SOMEONE is paying for the shipping ;-) Sure, good customer service is worth something, so just evaluate all the components when deciding where to order your new shoes!

I like Enzo Angliolini flats, know they fit and don't always find the best selection in the stores. I buy them on line from a site that offers free shipping on shoes. I know what the cost full retail in the stores so I know whether it is a good price or not. The convenience and wide choice of colors has value for me. :)

I've never had to return any of the flats.

Thanks for all the help ladies! I like the ability to have a choice that online shopping affords me but wanted to make sure returns were easy (I really don't need or want five pairs of silver shoes:D).

I like shoe shopping with Amazon. As long as you are buying from them and not a 3rd party the shipping both ways is free. I usually order the shoe I want in two different sizes and then return the one that doesn't fit. What do you mean by "wearing them around the house?" You can try them on but you can't actually "wear" them and then return them if you've worn them so long that they don't look perfectly new anymore.

What do you mean by "wearing them around the house?" You can try them on but you can't actually "wear" them and then return them if you've worn them so long that they don't look perfectly new anymore.

Some shoes you can put on and immediately know that they are uncomfortable. I've bought a number of pair of shoes that when I walk around for 30 seconds in the store they are ok but after wearing them for five minutes, I realize I have made a mistake. So I plan to wear them around the house for 5-10 minutes to see if they are really comfortable. They should still look new walking on carpeting for that amount of time.

On carpeting will be perfectly fine (I actually worked returns for Zappos/amazon last summer!) I had several orders that had multiple shoes. Now I would not wear them outside to where the bottoms gets heavy scuffs. Feel free to order different kinds/different sizes, they expect it! The only time we did not refund was if they had "body fluids", some have been worn to blisters would pop/bleed (yes, I wore gloves!) or of they were heavily worn, like the only shoes the person ever wore! Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...
For my next cruise I want a pair of low heeled silver shoes. There are none in the stores around me (I've been looking for about a year). I have found about 5 pairs that I like at shoebuy and zappos (no shipping either way). I have never ordered from either of them. What I am planning on doing is ordering one of each pair I like and wearing them around the house to see how comfortable they are. I will choose one pair (hopefully) and send the rest back. Has anyone ever done anything like this? Has anyone ever had any trouble returning shoes to either place?

Thanks for your input.

I haven't read the rest of this thread but when you mentioned Zappos i had to jump in here.

I "Love" Zappos!!!!!!!! I sometimes see shoes in a department store and they don't have my size, color selection whatever. I go on line to Zappos and usually find the shoes or they will notify me when back in stock. I never have to leave my house. Sometimes shoes arrive in less than 48 hours from when I ordered them. Shipping back is so easy and no shipping costs. I just received a Brighton bag that I saw in the Mall but ordered from zappos because I wasn't sure I would like to keep it. Happily I love it but if I had to return it to the Mall, parking etc. and deal with a salesperson for the credit would have been for me uncomfortable ........vs just off to the PO or UPS store. I also love their video presentations! I think I have been buying shoes esp. ever since they came on line.

Thanks for your input.

I ordered my low healed silver shoes from Zappos last year. I also orderd them in gold at that time. I think the shoe designer is Annie. I looked everywhere for this type shoe and sure enough Zappos had exactly what I was looking for. They have become part of my cruise packing must toos along with my J. Rene low heeled black fabric sling back dress shoes also from Zappos.

Love Shoebuy and Zappos. One tip. Order each pair of shoes separately. That way, if you want to return a pair, you can reuse their box. I ordered 2 pair once and they packed them together. I wanted to send one pair back, and had to find a packing box that would fit only one pair. Plus, it just makes your life simpler, bookkeeping wise.:)

With everyone's reassurances I have just ordered 7 pairs of shoes from Shoebuy. They are having a 20% off most everything July 4th sale. I will be keeping at most three pairs. I hope at least some I like/fit/are comfortable. I'll take pictures when they arrive.

Archived