Everything quantum!!!!!!

More on the north star

Crane supplier MacGregor is to provide Royal Caribbean International’s first Quantum-class ship, Quantum of the Seas, with a viewing pod.

Guests will be lifted 91 metres above sea level in ‘North Star’, a jewel-shaped, glass capsule, before swinging out over the sea for the first-of-its-kind guest experience.

“We are the first crane supplier involved in anything like this type for a cruise ship,” said Jonas Hägglund, sales manager at MacGregor. “Safety is paramount and the operator needed a crane supplier that would not only deliver the highest safety standards, but also proven, reliable technology for the North Star guest experience.”

Fourteen guests and one crew member can be accommodated in the 7.1-ton viewing gondola, which will be fitted with a stabilising system designed to provide a comfortable ride for guests.

“All crane movements will be smooth and immediate, with stepless speed control, essential for this type of guest experience. It is also important that the experience is as quiet as possible, so the main power pack will be rubber-suspended to minimise vibrations and noise transmission; the crane housing will also be isolated to minimise noise,” added Hägglund. “Given the vessel's cruising areas, the system is fitted with an air-type cooler to keep the crane's hydraulic oil at a moderate temperature even in very hot ambient conditions, which ensures a long oil life and reliable crane performance.”

Saun I had posted the link to the article. See post 514 for the link.

http://marinelog.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4306:macgregor-to-deliver-quantum-class-north-star-system&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=195

Again I say that fiscally it would make no sense to eliminate one of the biggest increasing revenue streams: families with kids. Besides, what would Shrek and Fiona do w/ a bunch of older folks?:rolleyes:

No the biggest revenue streams will be from Asia and Baby Boomers

[quote name='CTRussxiii']I've heard either Port Canaveral or Norfolk, Va. Only time will tell.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app[/quote]
As much as I would love to see the Anthem come to Norfolk, Va. I think we can rule Norfolk out. The cruise terminal in Norfolk could not handle a 4,000 passenger ship. The port is deep enough and has the room to handle the ship, the terminal is just too small for the amount of passengers the Anthem can hold.

[quote name='Aurora2143']Let's try and think of things that we would like to see on Quantum that no other cruise ship has.

A roller coaster!
A glass bottom/under water observation area.[/QUOTE]

Well there is glass windows between the Kids and Main pool .
If you look under the TV screen you can clearly see the Viewing Glass
[IMG]http://thecruisepeople.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/quantum-arm1.jpg[/IMG] Edited by TheDyesolKid

Not sure exactly what that is, but don't believe it's a viewing window based on the distance between the two pools. Normally a viewing window is in a wall about 6-10" deep - that looks to be a couple of feet - would be like looking through a tunnel:p (or the cardboard box with the hole in the end we all made growing up to look at eclipses:rolleyes:). JMT.

[quote name='crookedhalo']Not sure exactly what that is, but don't believe it's a viewing window based on the distance between the two pools. Normally a viewing window is in a wall about 6-10" deep - that looks to be a couple of feet - would be like looking through a tunnel:p (or the cardboard box with the hole in the end we all made growing up to look at eclipses:rolleyes:). JMT.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I agree, definitely not a viewing window! Who wants to look in to a pool full of legs anyway? :p

Its probably just the way the graphic was made, not always 100% accurate.

It looks like that pool has a rather large footprint. The loungers on either side appear to be in the wading part of it. Maybe that black square is another set of loungers that were accidentally placed under the pool reflection layer.

Who know though, maybe it's an entertainment venue. Royal Caribbean started this all when they built the aquatheater on Oasis. Now Norwegian Cruise Line has a top deck entertainment venue/pool area at the very back of the Breakaway ships (sailing form NYC). Princess' new ships have a water and light show on the pool deck complete with a guesser fountain (identical to the Oasis class') and she also happens to be making a stop in NYC for several sailings just before Quantum arrives. I know Royal Caribbean is focused on indoor entertainment and Two70 is supposed to replace the Aquatheater, but I would be amazed if they did nothing up top in order to compete. The pool deck parties have become a staple of a sailing. Maybe that black box is a door that water features are brought in and out of to transform it between entertainment and functional. Perhaps they are even going to do some synchronized swimmers and that is their entrance (though without a diving portion this seems like a waste of talent). So many possibilities for what that could be, but I've got to imagine Royal Caribbean will be doing something more impressive than a pool up there.

[quote name='crookedhalo']Not sure exactly what that is, but don't believe it's a viewing window based on the distance between the two pools. Normally a viewing window is in a wall about 6-10" deep - that looks to be a couple of feet - would be like looking through a tunnel:p (or the cardboard box with the hole in the end we all made growing up to look at eclipses:rolleyes:). JMT.[/QUOTE]

Didnt mean they were joined together . Its more than a couple of feet between the Kiddies and Adult Pools

Great thread. Im reading though and have some questions that might be answered as i keep reading- but here it goes
Has anyone seen a floor plan for the GS?
Any idea the type of shops and restaurants onboard?
And... Is there a plan to fine at the different restaurants?
Thanks all

I look forward to reading on.
Is ther

[COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="4"]Royal Caribbean has published deck plans on their website for Quantum. However, there are still a lot of "TBA" ( to be announced) areas. All the cabins are listed and some of the already announced features. [/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='peaches84']The wait is becoming quite painful. I'm anxious awaiting the dining options. I would like to see different specialty venues than what is currently offered.[/QUOTE]

I agree!!!!!!