Duty Free: Jewelry on NCL

psycomac

So, the only other time that I went on a cruise, it was paid for by someone else which didn't really afford me the opportunity to do much shopping (broke then broke now lol) so with the exception of about 10 minutes of window shopping, I didn't really do much in that direction.

My question is about the jewelry on the ship. I'm going to drop not so subtle hints to my DH that I would like a ring this year and we'll be cruising on our 15th anniversary (as luck would have it, not our wedding anniversary but the anniversary of the day that we moved in together. Met online moved in 6 months later, been together since). Because of current circumstances, we'll actually be able to afford for him to buy me something in the 'pretty nice' to 'very nice' category of rings. What is the deal with shopping on board and the duty free aspect of it? Do they have nice stuff? Is there really a difference in price from on board vs land based shops? Are there any links anywhere to sample selections of what they offer? Do they size it? (Like would he be able to buy it and give it to me on our anniversary while on board?) I'll google in the meantime but anybody with first hand knowledge of this topic and your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :D

Duty Free is not tax free. If your total purchases are over the limit, you will need to declare and pay the tax. Your sign & sail card is flagged for the purchase.

I've never seen any great deals on board, but if you like something buy it. If there's a problem with the true value of the ring, remember you are no longer dealing with a local, familiar jeweler. You will need to have the ring sized when you get home, too.

I purchase many of my rings and stones from a merchant in St. Thomas who was recommended to me by my TA years ago. This shop is not involved in any of the ship "guarantee" nonsense hard sell lectures. In the end, I'm saving on a sales tax.

Darcy

I would not make this type of purchase on your trip. If you do a quick search of these forums you will find horror stories, especially when people return home and find the appraisal is nowhere near what they were told they were buying.

Fwiw I have a custom made family ring. Priced a very similar ring with lower quality stones in the Jewel in January of this year, their ring was $300 more than my custom piece. My others experience was with Diamonds Internstional trying to "upgrade" my engagement ring. The numbers were way off, and I knew it because I knew the value of my stone.

My advice would be to buy your ring before you go and wear it proudly once aboard!

I too would stay away for the most part. Remember the jewelry store on the ship is not owned by NCL nor are the people working the store employees of NCL, they are independent. The shopping person on board is an independent contractor from a 3rd party and gets paid to push you to buy at the stores on the ship and by the stores at the ports. If there is a problem with the ring, you will likely get the run around once you get home. That being said, if you truly like it and you are happy with it, just know what you are getting into and get it for yourself.

If you decide to buy something in port, stay away from the shops that are pushed on the ship and find a local person and ask where they would buy their jewelry. Usually these places will be several blocks away from the port shopping area but remember the people that live there also buy jewelry so they know where to go.

I try to stick with brand names when I buy in port. For instance, I collect Pandora charms. I looked up the names of the authorized dealers before I left home and made a note of all of them. So I knew where to go and I knew Pandora stands behind their charms.

Best of luck

Yes, there's an excitement and romance to picking out something onboard, but on Dawn last summer, I thought the jewelry was overpriced and didn't see anything truly distinctive and special. I love jewelry, especially rings, and have certainly shopped for and bought more than my share. Where are you cruising? If we know, we may be able to suggest reputable places that have unusual, stunning pieces for you to look at.

Have a wonderful anniversary cruise!

I would not purchase jewelry onboard. On all the NCL ships I've been on their shops are run by DI or EI. I once bought a Citizen watch onboard, and a few years later bought a similar one in St. Maarten for half the price I paid onboard.

I've got a jeweler in St. Thomas I've been dealing with for nearly 8 years. Every time we go there I e-mail in advance that we're coming and what I'm looking for. When we arrive he sits me down, brings me his selection, and gives me a glass of wine while I look. Prices are MUCH better than onboard, and the quality much higher. He's not one of the ship-sponsored retailers, but offers me much better values than what I would get from those.

Any questions? You can message me at my username at aol dot com.

I would agree with the other posters, you will seldom find any bargains aboard ship. Depending on what your itinerary is, you can do better ashore, and I agree that the recommended stores are sometimes just like the ship stores. No bargains. Just buy what you like and pay what you think it is worth to you as appraisals are not always a good indicator.

Please do not buy on-board~~I made a big mistake on my cruise on the "Gem" in "2011"~~it was a big Birthday for me and I went with two other high school classmates~~Well the first day I bought a ring~~I am still paying for it~~I did not understand the first year was interest-free~~so paid the minimum payment on it~~well the next year they hit me with $600.00 interest~~got it appraised and nowhere is it worth what I paid for it~~I probably will pay for it until the day I die~~do not get me wrong~~the ring is beautiful~~but I could do without the payment each month~~a word of wisdom!:)

I would not buy anything onboard, or ashore. Ever notice all tourist stops have jewelry stores all over the place. Caribbean, Mexico or in Alaska?

We do pick up some cheap stuff - under $20.

Good stuff? We buy that at home.

We have not purchased through Norwegian, but have on other cruise lines. We have received a couple great deals on name brand watches. My husband also purchased a necklace & earring set for me in fine jewelry. I got a fair price, but not a deal. The pieces were unique and no regrets on the price or the product.

Word of caution tho ... the ship store cannot size a ring for you (my experience). Jewelry has to be shipped to someone else (not local, at least for us) to do. It was in the US though. Also any warranty issues have to be shipped to someone, again not local. NOTE: The fine print of the warranty said it was null and void "IF" anyone else worked on the jewelry for sizing and/or repairs.

I don't know about you, but I sure don't have a comfort level with sending a piece of fine jewelry away to be fixed. I had read on-line about some repairs, resizing taking weeks instead of hours to a week at my local jeweler.

Yes, as others have stated if you go over the max amt allowed for tax free, you will have to pay customs/taxes on it. Our account was tagged and we had to meet with someone from customs before we could leave the ship.

Another vote for not buying on board or in ports. Instead, buy from a reputable jeweler near your home. That way, if there are problems you can easily have them taken care of.

Choose something else, an inexpensive item from ship store or in one of the ports as your special remembrance.

I have to disagree with most. I purchased a beautiful ring from Colombian Emeralds on the Jewel. I owned a fine jewelry store for many years and liked the quality. They sized it for me in Nassau (since they have a store there). When I returned home I had it appraised by a good friend who like me thought it was a great deal.

SailingNut -The Colombian Emeralds credit card is also interest free for either 6 months or 1 year depending on what you spend making minimum payments was not a wise choice. You could have paid it off interest free. I also does not go onto your sign and sail. I find CE to be very reputable as jewelers.

You have to know what you want and what it should cost.

JMHO

My husband purchased a beautiful ring for me in St Maarten last year and had it sized the same day at the store, which was close to the port; I hear what you are all saying about buying jewelry on the ship or in the shops in the islands, but it was a beautiful, romantic and impulsive gesture for our wedding anniversary, and I will cherish it always. My hubby is such a darling! For sure I don't know enough about jewelry to say if it was a glorious deal or not, but we could afford it, and it's beautiful and attached to a wonderful cruise memory. Life is too short to always be practical, and we have no regrets. There were some stunning pieces of jewelry for sale on the ship also (we were on a Celebrity cruise). Just my 2 cents worth!

My husband purchased a beautiful ring for me in St Maarten last year and had it sized the same day at the store, which was close to the port; I hear what you are all saying about buying jewelry on the ship or in the shops in the islands, but it was a beautiful, romantic and impulsive gesture for our wedding anniversary, and I will cherish it always. My hubby is such a darling! For sure I don't know enough about jewelry to say if it was a glorious deal or not, but we could afford it, and it's beautiful and attached to a wonderful cruise memory. Life is too short to always be practical, and we have no regrets. There were some stunning pieces of jewelry for sale on the ship also (we were on a Celebrity cruise). Just my 2 cents worth!

I'm looking for a piece that I can one day pass down to my daughter so I'd like for it to be very high quality as well as beautiful. I have a ring still that my husband got out of a gumball machine on the way out of the grocery store once years ago so I've already got a 'memory' ring lol :D

I'm looking for a piece that I can one day pass down to my daughter so I'd like for it to be very high quality as well as beautiful. I have a ring still that my husband got out of a gumball machine on the way out of the grocery store once years ago so I've already got a 'memory' ring lol :D

Buy locally. If you have issues there is very little recourse once away from the ship or the port.

The exception are watches. You CAN get a good deal on the ship, but do your homework. I fell in love with a Tissot chronograph but passed on it, and when I searched high and low on the internet after I got home, it took me a whille to find a deal as good as the ship. Because NCL (or the company they use to sell watches) are authorized retailers you'll be able to get any warranty service from the manufacturer.

There are fun deals on costume jewelry. I would NOT buy any gemstones or high end items on the ship or on shore...especially not a Diamonds International or the emerald places!!! From diamonds to Movados, you will do a whole bunch better at a local quality jeweler where you can not only insure authenticity but also bargain. Jewelers have HUGE markups. If you pay 1/2 the quoted cost, they are still making $$. Those little xxxx's on the tag are their code. Also make them weigh the item on a jewelry digital scale...or bring your own. Do not be seduced by the cruiseline sales pitches. Seriously.

We have purchased several pieces from Columbian Emeralds with great results. They will size a ring for you if you buy it early on in the cruise. We purchased an emerald ring, however, we purchased it late in the cruise. I needed it to be a size 4 so I had to take it to my local jeweler when I got home. He advised me the emerald was great quality and that we got a decent deal. Previously, we purchsed a tanzanite necklace and earing set and my jeweler noticed it and commented on it as well. That being said, we have been very happy with our purchases. In addition, we have also won some pieces during their various drawings during our various cruises. Let's see, we have won amethist earrings and two amber necklaces. :)

My two cents, DH purached an Ammolite ring for me on the Dawn this past January. The price on the ship was better than the price on the various Islands we visited. I like my ring.:D

As for is it worth what we paid, hope so. In my mind Things are only worth what the highest bidder is willing to pay. :)

I'm going to disagree with most others too.

If you're looking for a deal, or great quality you won't get it.

But, if you're looking for "a memory", find something you love, and then go for it.

As far as sizing a ring, I doubt they have the equipment or expertise to it on board.

I'm going to disagree with most others too.

If you're looking for a deal, or great quality you won't get it.

As far as sizing a ring, I doubt they have the equipment or expertise to it on board.

Well all I can tell you is that our jeweler at home advised us that we purchased a very good quality emerald at a very decent price. Also, we were told onboard the Gem that the ring could have been sized if we had purchased it earlier on in the cruise. All I can report back is what I was told by Columbian Emerald. :cool:

So, the only other time that I went on a cruise, it was paid for by someone else which didn't really afford me the opportunity to do much shopping (broke then broke now lol) so with the exception of about 10 minutes of window shopping, I didn't really do much in that direction.

My question is about the jewelry on the ship. I'm going to drop not so subtle hints to my DH that I would like a ring this year and we'll be cruising on our 15th anniversary (as luck would have it, not our wedding anniversary but the anniversary of the day that we moved in together. Met online moved in 6 months later, been together since). Because of current circumstances, we'll actually be able to afford for him to buy me something in the 'pretty nice' to 'very nice' category of rings. What is the deal with shopping on board and the duty free aspect of it? Do they have nice stuff? Is there really a difference in price from on board vs land based shops? Are there any links anywhere to sample selections of what they offer? Do they size it? (Like would he be able to buy it and give it to me on our anniversary while on board?) I'll google in the meantime but anybody with first hand knowledge of this topic and your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :D

From someone who worked in the jewelry industry for 7 years, I will not purchase jewelry on a ship other than costume pieces. You can find some nice deals in the ports, but you should know what you want and already be aware of what a good price is on such a piece beforehand. Otherwise, the clerks at the stores will push you to believe that you are getting a spectacular buy when you really aren't. Also, at many of the approved shops in port, you can get your ring sized in the span of about 30 minutes and many will offer maintenance and care for the jewelry after purchase. I got a piece from H. Stern a year and a half ago, and when I had problems with it, I simply mailed it in to their location to have it serviced for free before it was sent back to me. Research some of the port shops before the trip as well to see if they have any US locations or to find customer reviews on past purchases.

Congratulations on your anniversary!

Archived