Everything "Positively" Royal: All the Positives, Please list somethng positive.

gracie65

My mom and I actually had a chance encounter with Captain Dino as we waited for an elevator on Aloha deck forward. He was ascending the staircase and I said "Hello Captain" and he said he hoped we were enjoying our cruise. I mentioned it was our first and he wished us many more wonderful cruises in the future. :D

Steven

What a nice encounter with Captain Dino! I saw a video of him somewhere on youtube and he seems like a very personable man. :D

The vegetarian choices don't seem too appetizing. Might be a night for Horizon Court or Alfredos.

This is the night I want to eat in the MDR for sure. I wish I knew when our first formal night will be. I'm assuming it will be Tuesday. We board on Sunday, Princess Cay on Monday then first sea day Tuesday.

Billco, I haven't been on the boards as much lately. How did you end up liking The Royal?

We leave for Ft Lauderdale five weeks from today. I plan on being on the bridge when the Royal sails in from her TA even if I have to get up in the middle of the night. :eek: Flying in from California, no matter when I get up it will be the middle of the night. LOL. :D

EXCITED!!!!!!

Cheers, Denise

We did that for the Caribbean Princess in 2004. The Best Western Motel was there then, right across from the terminal so we got up and went to one of landings. She was so pretty coming down the channel with her lights on.

One of the most positive things for me on each cruise, which I count as one of my excursions, is to be up on the top deck as we arrive at Port Everglades on the day we return, and wait in the silence. It's neat to see the pilot boats come out and actually have the ship swing. Everything seen on shore seems to go to the opposite side. So cool. Hubby is always telling me that we must get up earlier in the AMs because we sleep through the activities, but I, (MOI) am always up for this, while he's asleep!! :). I get my coffee from the Horizon Court and up I go. It makes for a short night, though, as I'm anticipating getting up and listening for the change in the engine sound. I find the entire docking procedure very amazing. It's always interesting, too, to see what is happening on the ship at that early time; decks are being hosed down, flags are being changed, the few early birds that morning, are walking around. I positively love that experience!!

We leave for Ft Lauderdale five weeks from today. I plan on being on the bridge when the Royal sails in from her TA even if I have to get up in the middle of the night. :eek: Flying in from California, no matter when I get up it will be the middle of the night. LOL. :D

EXCITED!!!!!!

Cheers, Denise

We'll be waving to you from our balcony. Looking forward to meeting up with you again on the 5 day cruise.

Bonni

Billco, I haven't been on the boards as much lately. How did you end up liking The Royal?

Not sure I understand. We have been booked on the Royal Maiden TA and Maiden Caribbean since March, 2012. As I learned more about the Royal I became less excited, but I won't know whether I like it or not until I have sailed on it.

We did that for the Caribbean Princess in 2004. The Best Western Motel was there then, right across from the terminal so we got up and went to one of landings. She was so pretty coming down the channel with her lights on.

One of the most positive things for me on each cruise, which I count as one of my excursions, is to be up on the top deck as we arrive at Port Everglades on the day we return, and wait in the silence. It's neat to see the pilot boats come out and actually have the ship swing. Everything seen on shore seems to go to the opposite side. So cool. Hubby is always telling me that we must get up earlier in the AMs because we sleep through the activities, but I, (MOI) am always up for this, while he's asleep!! :). I get my coffee from the Horizon Court and up I go. It makes for a short night, though, as I'm anticipating getting up and listening for the change in the engine sound. I find the entire docking procedure very amazing. It's always interesting, too, to see what is happening on the ship at that early time; decks are being hosed down, flags are being changed, the few early birds that morning, are walking around. I positively love that experience!!

Sounds very nice, we may try this on our next cruise....thanks for sharing!

Now I am seriously excited. Thanks for sharing. :D:D:D:

Cheers, Denise

Not sure I understand. We have been booked on the Royal Maiden TA and Maiden Caribbean since March, 2012. As I learned more about the Royal I became less excited, but I won't know whether I like it or not until I have sailed on it.

Sorry, I read the menu post wrong, thought it was you posting them but I see now you were quoting who posted them. I knew you were having mixed feelings so thought you had already gone. You will still be aboard before me, hope you'll have time to post your thoughts when you return. I go on 11/17/13 I think that's 2 sailings after your maiden Caribbean.

Such a vivid description and perfectly detailed! I plan on doing the same this year on Royal Princess. :D

Two years ago on a Celebrity Millennium B2B out of Miami I was up on deck as we approached the entrance buoys and watched as the ship slid up that long narrow ship channel. It was breathtaking and eerily quiet. Two of the inbound ships had to pass us after we docked and use the turning basin and it was amazing to see these large ships so silently and effortlessly spin in the blackness.

Last year I walked down on two separate mornings from my hotel to the 17th Street bridge in Fort Lauderdale to take pictures of the ships as they arrived before sunrise. On that first morning there were eight ships in port and it was amazing to see so many in one gathering. Some had already docked but I did catch several all lit up, and the experience was amazing.

On the final day of that vacation I was awake for the arrival as you mentioned and took a couple of pictures....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=36426739&postcount=49

Dave - your photos are fantastic - thank you so much for posting the links. I love early mornings on the ship and look forward to catching a few sunrises. Kay

THANKS! Glad you liked them. :D There's nothing like a 5am walkabout for some peace and quiet, and the opportunity to get some really great interior pictures of the ship. A beautiful sunrise and hearty breakfast to get your day started off right completes the deal! ;)

Last year I walked down on two separate mornings from my hotel to the 17th Street bridge in Fort Lauderdale to take pictures of the ships as they arrived before sunrise. On that first morning there were eight ships in port and it was amazing to see so many in one gathering. Some had already docked but I did catch several all lit up, and the experience was amazing.

On the final day of that vacation I was awake for the arrival as you mentioned and took a couple of pictures....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=36426739&postcount=49

Dave- wonderful photos!

Thanks!

Norris

Ship Nerd

• 4 weeks later...

Dave, you are probably the person I know with the most knowledge on the Royal Princess. Today I have checked my CP and found that my cabin L108 is no longer assigned to me. In fact my booking is showing as a guarantee cabin yet to be assigned. When I go onto the Princess web site I am unable to see any cabins on any cruise of the Royal. Are you aware of any changes they may be making to the cabin categories that would have caused this issue? Given I booked L108 some time ago I am very concerned that I have been moved without any notice. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated. I am in Sydney so have to wait until tomorrow morning to call Princess. Thanks. Anne

Dave, you are probably the person I know with the most knowledge on the Royal Princess. Today I have checked my CP and found that my cabin L108 is no longer assigned to me. In fact my booking is showing as a guarantee cabin yet to be assigned. When I go onto the Princess web site I am unable to see any cabins on any cruise of the Royal. Are you aware of any changes they may be making to the cabin categories that would have caused this issue? Given I booked L108 some time ago I am very concerned that I have been moved without any notice. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated. I am in Sydney so have to wait until tomorrow morning to call Princess. Thanks. Anne

When you call Princess Cruises ask to speak to a Supervisor. Apparently they have been pulling this little stunt with quite a few people and that's very unsettling. Make sure your cabin is marked No Upgrades, and don't hang up with them until your get your cabin back and are personally satisfied.

Dave, it appears to be all sorted. I think they must have been recategorising the cabins over the weekend. L108 is back in my booking but as M6 rather than MF category. They may have realised the value of these corner minis. Anne

EXCELLENT! Glad that it all worked out. :D

And I think you're right about the 'value' of those corner mini's. That may have something to do with people being 'upgraded' out of their prized accommodation into something that's not actually an upgrade.

Hope you have a GREAT cruise!

EXCELLENT! Glad that it all worked out. :D

And I think you're right about the 'value' of those corner mini's. That may have something to do with people being 'upgraded' out of their prized accommodation into something that's not actually an upgrade.

Hope you have a GREAT cruise!

Thanks Dave. I have a new confirmation that shows I have been upgraded from an MF mini suite to an M6 mini suite and a note on my file saying No Upgrades! I will keep checking to make sure. Anne