Prince Rupert

iceleven

Does anyone know if any cruise lines stop in Prince Rupert (Canada) anymore? I remember NCL stopped there on our first cruise to Alaska but it was maybe 5-6 years ago. If no ship stops there, does anyone know why? It was such a quaint little town and surely would be a nice change from always going into Victoria.

Iceleven - we were there on the Oceania Regatta June 15th - you are correct, it is a nice town.

There is a link over on the Oceania boards with a nice little news video showing the Mayor welcoming guests as the first ship of the year. I would link it but no idea how to!

There was some story about a large cruise line who used to visit regularly but not any more - cant remember who it was, but they lost a lot of visitors because of it, and of course major investment had been made to welcome these visitors, so I guess that's why they rolled out the red carpet, they were so pleased to see us!

There is a very interesting museum not too far from the pier and it is a pleasant place to walk around.

Just don't go on any bear flight seeing tours from there - waste of time and money - not naming the operator as would refuse to give him publicity, good or bad!

Here is a list of the ships that will stop in Prince Rupert this year. A number of years ago Prince Rupert fishermen blockaded the harbour to being attention to a fishing dispute they were having with Alaska and a couple of cruise ships were delayed in the port. As a result the cruise industry boycotted Prince Rupert for some years but NCL did begin to make calls a few years back however is would seem that the city was never able to build on that.

June 15 MS Regatta Oceania

June 27 Caledonian Sky Zegrahm

July 3 MS Regatta Oceania

July 10 MS Regatta Oceania

July 19 Silver ShadowSilver Seas

July 29 Silver ShadowSilver Seas

September 7 Sea Lion Linblad

September 8 Sea Bird Linblad

September 23 Celebrity Century Celebrity

Just don't go on any bear flight seeing tours from there - waste of time and money...

Bear viewing in the Khutzeymateen Grizzly Sanctuary, which is accessed from Prince Rupert, is some of the best anywhere. Sorry that your experience didn't reflect that.

Bear viewing in the Khutzeymateen Grizzly Sanctuary, which is accessed from Prince Rupert, is some of the best anywhere. Sorry that your experience didn't reflect that.

We agree and thank you for your kind words. We were led to believe this also by a so-called expert, but unfortunately for us this so-called expert really short-changed us, in time, knowledge and attitude! Especially at nearly $1000 for the two of us!

Anyway, I shall revise my previous statement to read, "that if choosing to visit this sanctuary choose your tour operator or guide very carefully and do much more research than I did in choosing" and I thought I had done a fair bit. Buyer beware! The scenery was spectacular though and everyone else we met in Prince Rupert extremely friendly and welcoming. So all was not lost. :)

Well, that certainly seems like a respectable list of ships coming into that port. Any idea as to why NCL stopped going there? It seems as though only small to medium sized ships can use their berth. Would you agree with that assumption?

Here is a list of the ships that will stop in Prince Rupert this year. A number of years ago Prince Rupert fishermen blockaded the harbour to being attention to a fishing dispute they were having with Alaska and a couple of cruise ships were delayed in the port. As a result the cruise industry boycotted Prince Rupert for some years but NCL did begin to make calls a few years back however is would seem that the city was never able to build on that.

June 15 MS Regatta Oceania

June 27 Caledonian Sky Zegrahm

July 3 MS Regatta Oceania

July 10 MS Regatta Oceania

July 19 Silver ShadowSilver Seas

July 29 Silver ShadowSilver Seas

September 7 Sea Lion Linblad

September 8 Sea Bird Linblad

September 23 Celebrity Century Celebrity

Well partially, but there is intense competition among BC ports to attract cruise ships, Nanaimo and Campbell River for instance. This plus the fact that people using the mass market cruise ships want instant gratification when they step ashore, the float plane has to be right there, they want to get on the dog sled....even if it is on wheels:confused:, want to see that staged logger show and so on. I kind of giggle at this because I had the good fortune to visit Alaska long before the large cruise ships and the Caribbean jewelers arrived and spoiled it.

However, back to Prince Rupert, after the harbour blockade occurred in 1997, the cruise ship industry understandably boycotted the port for at least 10 years and as a result there was obviously little in the way of development of tourism attractions and facilities. As a result Prince Rupert is rather off the radar of the larger lines.

My guess would be Celebrity has been persuaded to come in and have a look in late September and as the visit is in late September when the Alaska season is winding down the ships often do some of these different kinds of itineraries while waiting to reposition to warmer/drier ports.

Will Prince Rupert become a regular port of call for the mass market cruise industry....probably not....ships from Vancouver don't need to make a stop in a Canadian port to comply with the PVSA and ships from Seattle use Victoria for their PVSA mandated stop. Could it become a regular stop for the niche market or pocket cruisers where their passengers what to see a more of the real thing and are arguably more creative...yes it could be if this market expands and Prince Rupert expands its tourist infrastructure.

• 2 years later...

Wondering what best excursions are in this area. This would be for a cruise in May-- too early (if i understand it correctly) for serious bear watching (since the salmon don't run that early). Or am I mistaken? What else does one do from this port, I wonder? We're never much interested in wandering around towns, especially as we have no interest in shopping.

Thank you. Happy sails to all.

You are not likely going to see a lot of bears in May, however here is an interesting historic site that is worthwhile visiting, however note the dates it is open in the spring. It easily be reached by transit or if you wish you can rent a car for a few hours and drive. If that does not work for you then here is a link to other things that can done in and around Prince Rupert.

http://www.northpacificcannery.ca/

http://www.hellobc.com/prince-rupert/things-to-do.aspx

Wondering what best excursions are in this area. This would be for a cruise in May-- too early (if i understand it correctly) for serious bear watching (since the salmon don't run that early). Or am I mistaken? What else does one do from this port, I wonder? We're never much interested in wandering around towns, especially as we have no interest in shopping.

The Museum of Northern British Columbia is excellent and there is a clan house across the street. There is a Pacific Northwest Cannery Historic Site which is interesting but would require transportation out of town. Check on the excursions offered by the cruise line. If a ship is in port there will be more local options.

We did the Khutzeymateen Grizzly Bear Sanctuary in June and the viewing was from a boat and we saw a bear and a cub. I think you would have to research the best times for this excursion.

If you rent a car and drive a bit out of town, you could see bears. I always say that May is a good time for bear viewing, because the trees haven't fully leafed out yet, which gives you more viewing area, and it's when bears feed on dandelions and skunk cabbage, which grows on the roadsides. Maybe find a local hangout cafe and ask locals where some have been spotted. It's a crapshoot though.

however here is an interesting historic site that is worthwhile visiting, however note the dates it is open in the spring. It easily be reached by transit or if you wish you can rent a car for a few hours and drive.

http://www.northpacificcannery.ca/[/url]

i think P-D and I have an affection for history and museums. My town has four canneries (low tide, a hot day, and the fish meal plant running .... that's the smell of money) but SE AK doesn't have anything similar. It's worth the effort.

The fishing dispute and blockade of Prince Rupert disrupted the Alaska Marine Highway Service creating bumper stickers and t-shirts wondering why BC fishermen were afraid of ferries (or fairies)

Several years ago RCCL stopped in Prince Rupert, we went 2 years in a row in May and went halibut fishing in the bay - it was wonderful, fishing and whales were abundant. Regretfully, because of the fishing excursions i never got to see more than just the harbor area. Hoping someday they come back on the radar again.

The fishing dispute and blockade of Prince Rupert disrupted the Alaska Marine Highway Service creating bumper stickers and t-shirts wondering why BC fishermen were afraid of ferries (or fairies)

OOOp's I am not going to touch that with a barge pole.

Crystal Serenity will make its maiden call there on July 24, 2016 and I will be on board!! I'm looking forward to going to a port where we will be the only ship that day. :)

While it doesn't serve up a ton of touristy type attractions, it's a real town that hasn't been spoiled by the cruise industry......what you see is the real thing and it's how people live in a fishing and logging community.

Prince Rupert is a great small city (very small) with really friendly residents! Wonderful part is when you step off the ship as will all Alaska ports you are within an easy walk of the main towntown core. The Fishing Museum which is an old cannery - yes an actual cannery - is a ways out of town so you need to either take a tour or have a car....

To get to Metlakatla you again must take a tour as it is accross the harbour.

It is really too bad that cruise ships skip Pricne Rupert as the natural harbour is among the largest and deepest in the world ... unfortunately there is No Diamonds International or any other ship owned shops in Prince Rupert.

Many thanks for all the replies.

It's not so much that I want to see bears, it's just that that seems to be the "most highly rated" excursion in the area. We're not excited by just walking around town in Alaska (have been there before, and always much preferred getting out and about). And we aren't so much museum lovers. We love wonderful scenery, especially scenery of the sort we don't often see. For people who love fishing, especially deep-sea fishing, someplace like Prince Rupert must be a real joy. (Or is it Wrangell that I'm thinking of? both probably?) But we've gotten sea-sick every time we've been out on a fishing boat (even with Bonine), so no more. Our excursions are included on Regent, btw; have no interest (esp. at our age/stage) in ever renting a car again when we travel: been there, done that.

Really do appreciate the input!

The Museum of Northern British Columbia is excellent and there is a clan house across the street. There is a Pacific Northwest Cannery Historic Site which is interesting but would require transportation out of town. Check on the excursions offered by the cruise line. If a ship is in port there will be more local options.

We did the Khutzeymateen Grizzly Bear Sanctuary in June and the viewing was from a boat and we saw a bear and a cub. I think you would have to research the best times for this excursion.

We spent 3 days in Prince Rupert off the Alaska Marine Highway ferry on a land tour of Alaska. Ignoring the fact that it rained on and off for all 3 days (we spent the last day in the library reading), Prince Rupert is a great little town.

We did not get to the grizzly bear sanctuary but your other suggestions are spot on. The museum is wonderful and we spent maybe 4 hours there.

DON

We were on the Celebrity Century when it made a port call in Prince Rupert in September, 2013. I always find the lack of a Diamonds International store very refreshing so was pleased with Prince Rupert. We thoroughly enjoyed the well-done Museum of Northern British Columbia, and I also found a wonderful artists co-op store close to the dock. But there wasn't an abundance of shore excursion options and I wonder what type of feedback Celebrity received regarding this port.

• 1 month later...

I would love to hear more detail about the boat ride that goes to the bear viewing place. I understand that the trip is about two hours long, in each direction. Is the scenery quite handsome along the way-- or is it mainly about getting to see the bears at the end? How does this boat excursion compare to others as far as likelihood for sea-sickness? How about the general comfort of the boat?

I know that in other ports, bear watching is not good in May, because the salmon are not yet running. But is my understanding correct that for this trip, the salmon would not be a factor as the bears eat vegetation rather than salmon? Are these different bears from the ones at Anan (if I'm remembering the name correctly)?

Thanks for replies, and for pointing out any other things I'm forgetting to ask.

I would love to hear more detail about the boat ride that goes to the bear viewing place. I understand that the trip is about two hours long, in each direction. Is the scenery quite handsome along the way-- or is it mainly about getting to see the bears at the end? How does this boat excursion compare to others as far as likelihood for sea-sickness? How about the general comfort of the boat?

I know that in other ports, bear watching is not good in May, because the salmon are not yet running. But is my understanding correct that for this trip, the salmon would not be a factor as the bears eat vegetation rather than salmon? Are these different bears from the ones at Anan (if I'm remembering the name correctly)?

Thanks for replies, and for pointing out any other things I'm forgetting to ask.

We were on the initial Celebrity Infinity cruise in May 2007. Our port stop on May 12 was Prince Rupert and we did the bear viewing cruise to the Sanctuary. We only saw two bears but hung around for awhile. The tour was a five hour cruise and as you mentioned it took almost 2 hours to get there, we did do a detour as there was some whale sightings from another area and we went to check it out. You are right that salmon is not the reason bears come down the mountains. From what I understand due to hibernation they are stopped up and need the skunk cabbage to free everything up. It's apparently a great laxative.

We had great weather but cool in the morning so dressing warm is a must. Scenery is wonderful, think mini Misty Fjords. With the sun rising in front of you you can get wonderful pictures. Most of the people on our tour stayed inside the boat which I thought was a terrible waste of time as you had to be out on the water to enjoy the scenery and take pictures.

Edited by born2cruize