Tipping in Australia and New Zealand

You beat me to it by seconds:D

How's the Alaska planning going? Take a wad of small notes:p

Hugh

Well that just proves we are telling the truth! No time to collaborate on the details! :D

Alaska is going well, actually looking at which zip line is best at this very moment.

Just hoping the Aussie dollar hangs on for another few months & doesn't slide back into the 80c per $ realm.:eek:

You know its funny people mention taxi drivers, they seem to always round down the bill for me in my favour. Same thing happened in New Zealand when I was there on Celebrity Solstice in Wellington. All the taxi drivers rounded down the bill.

I would not dare tip a hairdresser in Australia, you are likely to get a fist in the face if you do!! There is no way anyone can walk into a mens hairdresser in the suburbs in Australia and start throwing around cash and expect to walk out unscathed.

Thanks everyone for responding. I will just have to work on my no tipping guilt issues!:eek: It really does make things much simpler with no tax or tips and it's nice to know that workers get compensated as they should by their employers. Looking forward to my first visit to New Zealand and my second to Australia!

Obviously nobody here has ever driven a taxi, worked in a bar or restaurant, or in a hotel.

Tipping may not be the "norm" but if someone has gone above and beyond the minimum service standard than you should tip.

If you want to get exceptional service in a bar then tip, otherwise expect to wait your turn and have to order your drinks time and time again.

If you are staying or eating in the same place more than once then a tip will help them remember you.

Tipping may not be the norm in the Australian service industry, but neither are rude customers expected to be the norm also.

I could go on to mention the state that some people leave their tables and their rooms but Im sure you can imagine how disgusting some people can be.

If you expect a taxi driver to assist with your bags thens you should expect to tip.

Just my $0.02 or $1.02 with tip.

I worked before I retired - received a wage and no tips. If I did not do my work , my superiors would soon remind me of my duties!! If I had suggested to them that I would only do a GOOD job if I received extra in the way of tips , I can only imagine what their reply would have been.

Any bar worker or table waiter who does not "service " the businesses customers in a sufficiently good way should simply be sacked! - not encouraged to do his job properly by scrounging for tips!

Barry

You know its funny people mention taxi drivers, they seem to always round down the bill for me in my favour. Same thing happened in New Zealand when I was there on Celebrity Solstice in Wellington. All the taxi drivers rounded down the bill.

I would not dare tip a hairdresser in Australia, you are likely to get a fist in the face if you do!! There is no way anyone can walk into a mens hairdresser in the suburbs in Australia and start throwing around cash and expect to walk out unscathed.

:) Yes -- I think perhaps the "man from Ironbark" tried to give his barber a tip

http://allpoetry.com/poem/8485473-The_Man_from_Ironbark-by-A_B__Banjo_Paterson

Barry

Thanks everyone for responding. I will just have to work on my no tipping guilt issues!:eek: It really does make things much simpler with no tax or tips and it's nice to know that workers get compensated as they should by their employers. Looking forward to my first visit to New Zealand and my second to Australia!

So when you come and visit and are shocked by our high prices just bear in mind that you don't have to add tax or tip and they don't seem so high...... still high, but not so high! :D

Obviously nobody here has ever driven a taxi, worked in a bar or restaurant, or in a hotel.

Tipping may not be the "norm" but if someone has gone above and beyond the minimum service standard than you should tip.

If you want to get exceptional service in a bar then tip, otherwise expect to wait your turn and have to order your drinks time and time again.

If you are staying or eating in the same place more than once then a tip will help them remember you.

Tipping may not be the norm in the Australian service industry, but neither are rude customers expected to be the norm also.

I could go on to mention the state that some people leave their tables and their rooms but Im sure you can imagine how disgusting some people can be.

If you expect a taxi driver to assist with your bags thens you should expect to tip.

Just my $0.02 or $1.02 with tip.

Excuse me.

Doing your job for what you are paid IS the norm. Not sure what your used to...sounds like 'I use my job to blackmail people' time by doing the bare minimum. I dont get tipped in my job if I 'go that extra mile' but it seems as if you think an exclusive selection of people should get tipped. There are many many people in 'menial' jobs that don't and never will get tipped.

Maybe we should take Medicare, super, safetynet, Workcover, etc away from these people and show what having to live on tips really means to someone getting minimum wage....

By the way, there was a time taxi drivers DID help with bags irrelevant of a tip....it's called customer service ( there was also a time they knew the city and actually cared about body hygeine - do we have to pay extra for that as well). There was also a time bar tenders did their job of serving drinks so they earned revenue for the owner which is what they are meant to do instead of trying to be a hipster and chatting up woman.

Minimum bar service = take your order, serve your drink

Above minimum = remembering you drinks next time you go to the bar or having it waiting for you when you get there

Tip for exceptional service

I worked in an environment where we prided ourselves on going above and beyond the minimum required, the tips were not expected or asked for, but graciously accepted when given.

I really do love Australia. I love that a tipping thread in the Australian/New Zealand section will still get argued about, but it'll be argued on the side of just expecting people to do their job rather than holding the customer to ransom for extra.

I feel much more comfortable in here, rather than when I made the mistake of commenting on Australia's tipping culture in another thread. :D

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Forums mobile app

So when you come and visit and are shocked by our high prices just bear in mind that you don't have to add tax or tip and they don't seem so high...... still high' date=' but not so high! :D[/quote']

I agree.... the high prices take wages into account .....

when overseas people ask if they should tip ....

I just ask .....

Why?

You have already paid a tip in the price you have been quoted,

but its over to you........

if you want to tip twice..

Go for it.

I am a little puzzled on the comment about taxi drivers not helping with luggage unless they get a tip. We often have to get a taxi to and from the airport and invariably the driver loads the luggage into the taxi then unloads it at the other end. Then is paid (with the fare rounded up), but he doesn't know until that time whether or not he will get a tip. The luggage has already been taken care of twice by the time he is paid.

Taxi drivers have always helped me with my luggage if it involves airport pick-up, drop-off or central station. They are all very friendly about it and get the door open for luggage when they see you have it. All the taxi drivers I have encountered normally round the fare down in your favour and if not they are exact with change. I have never come across a dishonest taxi driver in Australia and it seems to me that it is part of their job description to do that.

In San Francisco last year, I had a haircut, the cut was $25. I gave the barber $30. No change was forthcoming, so I asked for my $5 change. The barber ripped open the cash drawer and just about threw the $5 at me, saying 'You want change, buddy, here it is, this is America.' Such is life in the US of A. Do I tip my hairdresser here? I go to the same one every 6 weeks and give her a nice bottle of bubbly at my Christmas haircut.

On my 49 days cruise last year, Arcadia - Sydney to Southampton, I had a haircut on the ship, it was £15, I gave the English hairdresser £5 tip, she was happy. Such is life on the ships.

Now in conclusion, if I had sought or accepted tips in my working life, I would have been behind bars, looking out. I wore one of those blue suits with silver buttons for 36 years. LOL.

In San Francisco last year, I had a haircut, the cut was $25. I gave the barber $30. No change was forthcoming, so I asked for my $5 change. The barber ripped open the cash drawer and just about threw the $5 at me, saying 'You want change, buddy, here it is, this is America.' Such is life in the US of A. Do I tip my hairdresser here? I go to the same one every 6 weeks and give her a nice bottle of bubbly at my Christmas haircut.

On my 49 days cruise last year, Arcadia - Sydney to Southampton, I had a haircut on the ship, it was £15, I gave the English hairdresser £5 tip, she was happy. Such is life on the ships.

Now in conclusion, if I had sought or accepted tips in my working life, I would have been behind bars, looking out. I wore one of those blue suits with silver buttons for 36 years. LOL.

I think a bottle of bubbly at Christmas is common for many people and their business dealings/relationships to share presents.

Australian hairdressers must be doing it well though. I have seen them give away free hair cuts for clients for special occasions, loyal business and bringing family.

Its just so surprising how different Australia is to the rest of the world. The local hot bread shop I go to each day which bakes fresh bread instead of the stale supermarket crap, the lady who runs it often gives the returning customers free treats and snacks on a daily basis. Some days its more random than others. It annoys my sister because I have taken her children there and they get treats, when she takes the very same children there she gets no extras.

Doing delivery work on trucks we could all consider ourselves lucky if the customers offered us a drink or small feed at their shop. Certainly no cash has been thrown around in my line of work.

In San Francisco last year, I had a haircut, the cut was $25. I gave the barber $30. No change was forthcoming, so I asked for my $5 change. The barber ripped open the cash drawer and just about threw the $5 at me, saying 'You want change, buddy, here it is, this is America.' Such is life in the US of A.

As it sounds like the tip wasn’t accounted for, and the hairdresser therefore probably set his own prices, one wonders why he didn’t just set the price to match what he expected?

I’d have no idea of tipping, or why you would need to, tip a hairdresser.

Then again, the one that got me is that (helicopter) pilots expect a tip! So, are they underpaid as well? Is getting you back safely considered excellent service?! Baffling.

When I visited New Zealand in 1965 aboard the Southern Cross, we were issued with a leaflet explaining that to tip was not an accepted custom, and was considered an insult to most New Zealanders.

Since then because of tourism things unfortunately have changed a little, as it has here in Australia, but tipping I hope will never become the norm, as it is so much better for everyone to be paid what they deserve and not have to accept charity, I would say this is one of the many things I love about Australia and New Zealand. If you do ever leave some change or tip in anyway make sure it is for service way beyond what is expected.

Hope you have a wonderful time especially in Sydney.

Kind Regards Mike

My husband is a cabbie in Noosa, Qld..he gets plenty of tips.

I own a barbershop with 8 staff( all women), they all get a few bucks a day in tips..and surprisingly , its the pensioners that tip the most.

No one has ever tried to punch a client in the face because they were offered a tip....how ridiculous!

Btw, my husband has been asked many times to carry someone's groceries, up their stairs into their unit, and put them on the table.

One was so demanding, he told her to "shove her broom up his A... , and he would sweep her drveway on the way back down to the cab"

I have caught literally hundreds of cabs in Australia, Asia, NZ & USA over the years. Never have I had a driver round down the fare. And I often roundup or otherwise leave a tip.

Never tipped a barber though - guess i'm afraid of being punched in the face :eek: ***!

I own a barbershop with 8 staff( all women), they all get a few bucks a day in tips..and surprisingly , its the pensioners that tip the most.

No one has ever tried to punch a client in the face because they were offered a tip....how ridiculous!

Btw, my husband has been asked many times to carry someone's groceries, up their stairs into their unit, and put them on the table.

One was so demanding, he told her to "shove her broom up his A... , and he would sweep her drveway on the way back down to the

To take tips from pensioners is not nice, the bad language is worse, despite any provocation.

To take tips from pensioners is not nice, the bad language is worse despite any provocation.

Believe it or not, the haircut actually makes the person feel good about themselves, thats why they tip, and to refuse their tip, however small would be an insult to them..not everyone likes the pensioner tag..to tip someone for a service they received makes them feel like they have something to give.

I didnt use any bad language...just the initial..that day he was even asked to unpack the bag into her fridge!!...and not one cent extra was offered, he was just ordered to do her bidding..thats why he said the bit about the broom.

but some of the treatment that cabbies get, (eg vomit all over their seats etc from drunks)certainly deserves some bad lingo!

One was so demanding, he told her to "shove her broom up his A... , and he would sweep her drveway on the way back down to the cab"

Come on you need to get real here. Small change is not a tip. Trust me if you went to America and tried to tips someone small change they would throw it back in your face or worst. I have heard all the horror stories and been there myself so I always check in advance when there what is the custom.

As far as having the fare rounded down in my favour all I can say is if your a nice person then nice things happen to you.

As it sounds like the tip wasn’t accounted for, and the hairdresser therefore probably set his own prices, one wonders why he didn’t just set the price to match what he expected?

I’d have no idea of tipping, or why you would need to, tip a hairdresser.

Then again, the one that got me is that (helicopter) pilots expect a tip! So, are they underpaid as well? Is getting you back safely considered excellent service?! Baffling.

I would suggest even if the haircut was $30, that SF Barber would have expected tip. The way it is in the 'Land of the Free.'

Come on you need to get real here. Small change is not a tip. Trust me if you went to America ......

Anywhere from $2 - $5 bucks is not that small a tip on a $9 - $15 mens haircut..(you assume too much).

.At Xmas time the girls get heaps of $20 tips..and yes, from oldies too...they love doing it...one old guy gives whoever does his hair at Xmas week, $50.. He does it every year.

We have been to the USA 13 times, and we always tip what is expected , probably more than expected..

Anywhere from $2 - $5 bucks is not that small a tip on a $9 - $15 mens haircut..(you assume too much).

.At Xmas time the girls get heaps of $20 tips..and yes, from oldies too...they love doing it...one old guy gives whoever does his hair at Xmas week, $50.. He does it every year.

We have been to the USA 13 times, and we always tip what is expected , probably more than expected..

I think to an American that would be small. From their perspective they have to live off it. I still do not fully understand their way of life myself but it is clear to me the small tip jars on counters where people drop small change should not be confused with the major system they have in America.

Archived