Drinking for the 18-20 year olds

marblemel

The legal drinking age in most places where we live is 18. Ditto for most European countries.

So is the voting age at all levels of our Government.

We have 19 and20 year olds being sent to Afghanistan-and too many are not returning.

We were brought up with wine on the table from age 14.

What on earth do they do when someone is on their honeymoon but under 21 or is a serving member of our armed forces but happens to be under 21. Does HAL deny them the pleasure of a beverage of their choice?

It does not sound very consistent to me.

If the beverage of their choice is alcoholic, then yes, HAL will deny them the pleasure of their choice if they are under 21. It doesn't matter if they are on their honeymoon or a member of the armed services.

HAL would have levied the fine, had I been able to get away with it, but later been caught.

We were in Europe, and grandgirl was well above legal drinking age on land---just not on the ship, as it still follows USA rules, even when the ship will be no where near the USA.

It must be tough for Europeans in the 18-20 age range when they sail a HAL ship and what is normal for them all of a sudden isn't allowed.

The drinking age here in the Maritime Provinces is 19. It seems silly that a 19 year old could be fined for drinking on a ship tied up in a harbour here while if they moved a few hundred feet to a shoreside establishment it would be legal.

Good common sense. Well stated too. The rules are inconsistent to say the least.

Yes, they are. And you can't be president until you're 35. It is what it is.

Not too many people are complaining that the Affordable Care Act keeps a "child" on his or her parents' healthcare until 26. Maybe they should be on their own resources for healthcare at 18, too.

No it does not, you live in the US and that is the legal drinking age here. Why would you want to encourage under age children to be able to drink on a cruise, when they can't drink at bars here.

I guess if you want those 2-20 year olds to drink then maybe you should go on NCL. I've been on there ships when they have let 20 year olds and younger drink - what a mess that was.

Hal does stickly enforce no drinking of alcohol if you are under 21. I've seen the bar tenders check ID and I for one am glad they do.

What do you say to the 18 year old people who are fighting for you in your military? You are old enough to fight and potentially die for your country but we don't think you are responsible enough to drink. An adult is an adult and should be given all of the privileges and ramifications of their actions. I've seen people my age (55) act less responsible than young kids with respect to alcohol. Controls put in place for one adult should be put in place for all adults. Just my opinion.

What do you say to the 18 year old people who are fighting for you in your military? You are old enough to fight and potentially die for your country but we don't think you are responsible enough to drink. An adult is an adult and should be given all of the privileges and ramifications of their actions. I've seen people my age (55) act less responsible than young kids with respect to alcohol. Controls put in place for one adult should be put in place for all adults. Just my opinion.

To carry it further, no one under 21 can be in a cabin unless there is also someone 25 or older except for married couple.

I agree...... if one can serve in the Military and serve their country, they certainly should be permitted a glass of beer or wine.

Just because the drinking age in some parts of the US may be 20 or 21 why on earth would someone think that this should be the standard for the rest of the world.

It may be fine if HAL is cruising or docked in the US but why would you expect US standards to become the norm when sailing in other parts of the world where the standards are very different.

Just because the drinking age in some parts of the US may be 20 or 21 why on earth would someone think that this should be the standard for the rest of the world.

It may be fine if HAL is cruising or docked in the US but why would you expect US standards to become the norm when sailing in other parts of the world where the standards are very different.

Are there states where drinking is legal for under 21 year olds? I was not aware of that.

I agree that if the ship is not sailing from or to a U.S. port, drinking rules should be standard to the region where the ship is sailing.

It reminds me of the poster who wrote in a few years ago.

She wanted countries in Europe to ban topless beaches because she claimed it offended her and her family when they had a beach day on their cruise.

Go figure. Some people should stay home if they do not want to experience other cultures.

Stepping away from the more philosophical side of this issue, I can say from personal experience that if you are okay with your 20-year-olds drinking, they will be able to do so, albeit with some limitations. I am not saying anyone needs to approve of this; I am just trying to address the OP's question objectively.

On a 2004 Veendam cruise, I was 20 and nearing the end of college. I look young for my age. My parents allowed me to share in the wine that they brought on board, though I did not try to have any in the dining room. A few times, I did discreetly take some with me, as did my parents, when we went to walk around the promenade deck in the evening. No questions were asked, I imagine because I was with my parents the entire time. On New Year's Eve, I was given champagne without asking for it (though the crew members had obviously been partaking as well and may have been off their guard :)) The cruise director even got me a drink from the bar in Northern Lights one night (I had no idea that members of the CD staff have magical free-drink coupons!) I made a few college-aged friends, all 19 and 20, on that cruise, and several of them were allowed by their parents to mix drinks with the in-room liquor the parents had ordered, and carry those around the ship. Some people's parents would order two drinks at a bar, and give one to the college-aged child. To my knowledge, there were never any issues; this may have had something to do with the fact that no one acted in the way people might expect when they hear "college students with alcohol."

Three years later on the Westerdam, I was of age, but my sister - who was weeks shy of 21 and an employed college graduate - was not. The few times she wanted a pina colada from the bar, either my father or I would simply go buy one and bring it back to her. If a person who is of age goes to the bar alone and orders two drinks, in our experience, there are never any issues.

The past few cruises with my husband, I have seen people carded and turned away at the bars. If your goal is to allow the 20-year-old women in your group to drink, you would do best to have alcohol in the room, or to send someone of age to the bar alone to order multiple drinks.

I remember on my very first cruise, a family celebration of my grandparents' 50th wedding anniversary (a good number of years ago) on a RCI ship, that in US port, the drinking age was 21, but as soon as we hit international waters, the 21 got changed to an 18. Of course, we also got soda for "free" when in the MDR. I believe the US based cruise lines received some pressure to increase the drinking age to 21 to match the shore side for cruises embarking/disembarking in the US. I know for ships that are mainly Europe based, or Australian based, they tend to follow the rules of the land, but for the transient ships, they tend to just follow what they have done.

I recently returned from a Baltic cruise on the Eurodam. My daughter is 20 and was never questioned or denied when ordering a beer in any port. And she was served vodka in Russia.

HAL strictly enforced the 21 drinking age on this cruise. Her room card was punched and she was denied when trying to purchase a glass of wine.

And why does the ship follow the labor laws for its employees of the country it is registered in, the Netherlands for HA, (someone correct me if I'm wrong here) but then for drinking age follows the United States? What is the logic there.

Maybe it's because it might be too confusing to continually expect the staff to remember the drinking age of each country they vist. Or something to that effect.

Stepping away from the more philosophical side of this issue, I can say from personal experience that if you are okay with your 20-year-olds drinking, they will be able to do so, albeit with some limitations. I am not saying anyone needs to approve of this; I am just trying to address the OP's question objectively.

On a 2004 Veendam cruise, I was 20 and nearing the end of college. I look young for my age. My parents allowed me to share in the wine that they brought on board, though I did not try to have any in the dining room. A few times, I did discreetly take some with me, as did my parents, when we went to walk around the promenade deck in the evening. No questions were asked, I imagine because I was with my parents the entire time. On New Year's Eve, I was given champagne without asking for it (though the crew members had obviously been partaking as well and may have been off their guard :)) The cruise director even got me a drink from the bar in Northern Lights one night (I had no idea that members of the CD staff have magical free-drink coupons!) I made a few college-aged friends, all 19 and 20, on that cruise, and several of them were allowed by their parents to mix drinks with the in-room liquor the parents had ordered, and carry those around the ship. Some people's parents would order two drinks at a bar, and give one to the college-aged child. To my knowledge, there were never any issues; this may have had something to do with the fact that no one acted in the way people might expect when they hear "college students with alcohol."

Three years later on the Westerdam, I was of age, but my sister - who was weeks shy of 21 and an employed college graduate - was not. The few times she wanted a pina colada from the bar, either my father or I would simply go buy one and bring it back to her. If a person who is of age goes to the bar alone and orders two drinks, in our experience, there are never any issues.

The past few cruises with my husband, I have seen people carded and turned away at the bars. If your goal is to allow the 20-year-old women in your group to drink, you would do best to have alcohol in the room, or to send someone of age to the bar alone to order multiple drinks.

That is what we will be doing. I was just trying to find out what HAL's policy was since I've been on multiple lines and they each have a different policy. I'm not worried about it, none of the girls are big drinkers, but having just come from a semester at sea where she traveled the entire globe and was perfectly able to have a glass of beer or wine at dinner whenever she wanted, my 20 year old is having readjustment issues when it comes to the drinking age in the US.

I am waiting for some really smart 18 year old who wants to be a lawyer to take the government to court over the issue of targeted prohibition. It has to be unconstitutional to discriminate against one small age group who in all other aspects of life are considered adults. The idea that they can buy as many guns and bullets as they want, but not a beer, is ridiculous. But that's just my opinion.

And why does the ship follow the labor laws for its employees of the country it is registered in, the Netherlands for HA, (someone correct me if I'm wrong here) but then for drinking age follows the United States? What is the logic there.

Maybe it's because it might be too confusing to continually expect the staff to remember the drinking age of each country they vist. Or something to that effect.

I suspect you are correct. I think they looked around ... picked the "highest" drinking age among all the countries and went with that. Then there is no problem with serving "under-age" no matter what waters or country they are in.

I suspect you are correct. I think they looked around ... picked the "highest" drinking age among all the countries and went with that. Then there is no problem with serving "under-age" no matter what waters or country they are in.

Yes I just checked Wikipedia and 21 is the highest....although definitely not the majority....18 is the most common and some countries even 16!!!

HAL would have levied the fine, had I been able to get away with it, but later been caught.

We were in Europe, and grandgirl was well above legal drinking age on land---just not on the ship, as it still follows USA rules, even when the ship will be no where near the USA.

It must be tough for Europeans in the 18-20 age range when they sail a HAL ship and what is normal for them all of a sudden isn't allowed.

lol - HAL levies fines?

How would they collect/enforce this fine. I can see them putting someone off at the next port for refusing to follow the rules. But, I don't think HAL is fining anyone.

Just last year Norwegian was allowing the 18-20 year olds to drink - once we left US waters since the drinking age is only 18 outside the US. I was hoping HAL followed the same policy. Having 4 21+ and only 2 20 year olds will make it tough on board.

Here's an idea: None of you drink.

I am waiting for some really smart 18 year old who wants to be a lawyer to take the government to court over the issue of targeted prohibition. It has to be unconstitutional to discriminate against one small age group who in all other aspects of life are considered adults. The idea that they can buy as many guns and bullets as they want, but not a beer, is ridiculous. But that's just my opinion.

You nailed it right here. That is my opinion, and the opinion of the vast majority of people I know!

Well... Here's reality. Five cruises (That I can think of) with one of our kids 19-21. At least 3 of them on CL owned cruise lines. While our kids never themselves bought booze, No one ever peeped when my wife or I bought it, even when it was obvious it was for them. (If there are two of you and you order 2 beers.....) But then again, our kids never got drunk, never were loud, and we were friendly, courteous, to the servers (and we tipped well)

But still, each was happy and relieved when they hit 21 and were able to buy US the drinks!

Here's an idea: None of you drink.

Here's an idea - live and let live :) I'm sure you felt this comment was as relevant as I thought that wasn't.

Many people in different cultures learn to drink responsibly with their parents. :)

OOPS, they are probably the ones that live an old age as they drink moderately, eat well and take care of themselves:D

Here's an idea - live and let live :) I'm sure you felt this comment was as relevant as I thought that wasn't.

Many people in different cultures learn to drink responsibly with their parents. :)

OOPS, they are probably the ones that live an old age as they drink moderately, eat well and take care of themselves:D

Well said!! The US clearly manipulates 18-20 year old's. They can vote (good for politicians), they can fight wars (at least now they are volunteers), as noted above they would be tried in criminal court as adults. And yet, they can't have a nice cold beer while watching a baseball game with Dad, or drink a glass of wine at Grandma's 90th birthday party. Completely stupid and inconsistent. Yes, we know it's the law and for those of you who keep saying that, think about this--you will let them fight wars for you, but not let them drink? No one is forcing them to drink but we should treat them as full adults, not just for some (inconsistent) things. If I recall correctly, during WWII, young men and women were in the military and could drink. Boy, I'm sure glad we fixed that problem! Nice that we can't address actual issues--you know, like immigration and lack of jobs and the 1% vs the 99% and budget deficits and...

sheesh...

ML

Archived