Anthem of the Seas

We'd consider Anthem in 2015, assuming the home port and itineraries are improved over Quantum.

The idea of paying alot of $$$ to cruise for days just to get to the Caribbean from NJ seems a waste. To visit any decent ports means you have to look at a 9 day or longer cruise on Quantum.

If it's based out of someplace further south...we'll likely give it a try.

Prediction

Oasis 3 and Allure - PC

Oasis - Asia

Oasis 4 - Barcelona

Quantum - Bayonne

Anthem - Southampton

Quantum 3 - Alaska

Quantum 4 - Not 100% sure on this one, if a Quantum 4 does indeed get built, my gut feeling is it might join Anthem in Southampton, but offering North Sea cruises, or perhaps Harwich/Liverpool/Copenhagen.

Independence, Liberty and perhaps Adventure may be sent to new locations.

We'd consider Anthem in 2015, assuming the home port and itineraries are improved over Quantum.

The idea of paying alot of $$$ to cruise for days just to get to the Caribbean from NJ seems a waste. To visit any decent ports means you have to look at a 9 day or longer cruise on Quantum.

If it's based out of someplace further south...we'll likely give it a try.

Agreed. It's about a 2 hour flight for me to get to the Garden State, only about 30min longer to get to FL. With that little difference in flight time, I'd rather stick with FL ports and get to the islands sooner!!:D

Even so, I keep going over Quantum's deck plans and rooms, thinking "well....maybe it's doable". I'm just fascinated by this new ship class! :o

Prediction

Oasis 3 and Allure - PC

Oasis - Asia

Oasis 4 - Barcelona

Quantum - Bayonne

Anthem - Southampton

Quantum 3 - Alaska

Quantum 4 - Not 100% sure on this one, if a Quantum 4 does indeed get built, my gut feeling is it might join Anthem in Southampton, but offering North Sea cruises, or perhaps Harwich/Liverpool/Copenhagen.

Independence, Liberty and perhaps Adventure may be sent to new locations.

I don't think you will see two Oasis Class ships home port out of Port Canaveral. At best there will be one. Here's a snippet of info from an article released by Port Canaveral port Authority not too long ago.

"In addition, Walsh said during an interview with FLORIDA TODAY that he is in "accelerated" discussions with Royal Caribbean about the potential for bringing one of the cruise line's new megaships to Port Canaveral."

"The port hopes to build a new cruise terminal to accommodate the world's largest cruise ships. Walsh sees that as a selling point to attract one of Royal Caribbean's planned 6,318-passenger Oasis-class ships or 4,905-passenger Quantum-class ships."

They are also slated to begin a second bout of dredging the and widening the canal this month some time. They did this back when Freedom was brought to Port. With Oasis having a deeper draft and being wider than Freedom by 28 feet this all very well fits in that the 3rd Oasis Class ship will most likely be home ported here. If not right away then one of the 3 will be Ported shortly after.

There is also expansion going on for cargo ships as well. Which is another reason the dredging and widening was voted a go.

does anyone have any predictions to where Anthem will homeport as im curious to see if they put a Quantum Class ship in Alaska

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

It will be placed in Miami. I am sure of it.

My co-worker's daughter's friend just got back from a cruise on Majesty and said that the assistant room steward told the passengers in the cabin next door that the staff captain was overheard speaking to one of the backup dancers and he definitely said Miami.

I'm sure it's Miami. This proves it. :D

Edited by F27TW

My co-worker's daughter's friend just got back from a cruise on Majesty and said that the assistant room steward told the passengers in the cabin next door that the staff captain was overheard speaking to one of the backup dancers and he definitely said Miami.

i dont remember where but i think i read explorer is going to miami, would you know anything about explorer going to miami?

i dont remember where but i think i read explorer is going to miami, would you know anything about explorer going to miami?

You do know that he was joking, don't you??

does anyone have any predictions to where Anthem will homeport as im curious to see if they put a Quantum Class ship in Alaska

I think it's unlikely. Alaskan ports are not equipped to handle a ship of that size.

Already, there have been problems because Celebrity Solstice has had to tender passengers into Juneau because of her size. This has been a prolonged process, resulting in passengers' on-shore time being reduced. It would be even worse with the number of passengers Anthem would carry.

Edited by celle

I think it's unlikely. Alaskan ports are not equipped to handle a ship of that size.

Already, there have been problems because Celebrity Solstice has had to tender passengers into Juneau because of her size. This has been a prolonged process, resulting in passengers' on-shore time being reduced. It would be even worse with the number of passengers Anthem would carry.

do you know the passenger capacity for the Celebrity Solstice vs Anthem of the Seas for a comparsion

that may be a big problem

do you know the passenger capacity for the Celebrity Solstice vs Anthem of the Seas for a comparsion

Sure. According to a web site that shows deck plans:

Celebrity Solstice: 2850-3420 passengers.

RCI Oasis and Allure (similar size to Anthem): 5412-6224 passengers.

I can imagine the problems associated with tendering that number of passengers. :eek:

Remember that Oasis and Allure only visit ports where they don't have to tender.

Sure. According to a web site that shows deck plans:

Celebrity Solstice: 2850-3420 passengers.

RCI Oasis and Allure (similar size to Anthem): 5412-6224 passengers.

I can imagine the problems associated with tendering that number of passengers. :eek:

Remember that Oasis and Allure only visit ports where they don't have to tender.

Incorrect - Quantum / Anthem is similar in size to Freedom (slightly larger) with 4,000+ passengers. Per RCI website:

Quantum: 167,800 tons, 1,141' long, 136' wide, 28' draft

Freedom: 160,000 tons. 1,112' long, 185' wide, 28' draft

Oasis: 225,282 tons, 1,186.5' long, 213' wide, 30' draft - significantly larger than both.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I knew Alaska was just too good to be true. :(

Well seeing as this thread is purely speculative with no concrete information from RCI yet regarding home ports for any of the yet to be launched ships yet, I would not be too concerned about Alaska being out of the running yet. I, for one, still think that is a possibility for one of the Quantum ships.

I knew Alaska was just too good to be true. :(

I think such a large ship wouldn't sail any Alaska itinerary...;)

Solstice had to TENDER in Alaska??? :eek: :eek:

I think she will be based at Southampton during the summer period and maybe she sails from Fort Lauderdale in winter...:)

I assume the following:

Oasis and Allure - FL

Anthem - Southampton

Quantum - Cape Liberty

Independence - Southampton or FL year-round

Liberty - Barcelona

Freedom - PC

Adventure - San Juan year-round or Southampton (mainly Baltic and Norway/Iceland) - or maybe Harwich...

Edited by celebrity_fan

Incorrect - Quantum / Anthem is similar in size to Freedom (slightly larger) with 4,000+ passengers. Per RCI website:

Quantum: 167,800 tons, 1,141' long, 136' wide, 28' draft

Freedom: 160,000 tons. 1,112' long, 185' wide, 28' draft

Oasis: 225,282 tons, 1,186.5' long, 213' wide, 30' draft - significantly larger than both.

thanks for that correction.

It still doesn't alter my point - that, if Solstice had problems in Alaska because of having to tender, Anthem would have a more serious problem.

I honestly dont think one of the Quantum ships will go to Alaska.

All that has ever sailed from there in quiet a while are an Vision class ship (Rhapsody) and Radiance of the Seas correct? Both around the 2400 - 2500 passenger capacity.

I also find it VERY hard to believe that one of these ships wont wind up in Florida.

Speculation is great isnt it? :D

I think Anthem will be homeported in Southampton year round. Quantum will stay in Bayonne year round and Quantum 3 is a strong contender to split her year between Australia and Alaska replacing Rhapsody.

Many of the Alaska ports already handle Princess Diamond Class ships and are undergoing expansion of pier facilities to accommodate ships as big or bigger than the Solstice.

Once Oasis 3 comes out I expect her to head to FLL replacing the Oasis which will head slightly north and call Port Canaveral home replacing the Freedom. The debut of Oasis 4 could see one of that class ship berth year round in Barcelona.

I think Anthem will be homeported in Southampton year round. Quantum will stay in Bayonne year round and Quantum 3 is a strong contender to split her year between Australia and Alaska replacing Rhapsody.

Many of the Alaska ports already handle Princess Diamond Class ships and are undergoing expansion of pier facilities to accommodate ships as big or bigger than the Solstice.

Once Oasis 3 comes out I expect her to head to FLL replacing the Oasis which will head slightly north and call Port Canaveral home replacing the Freedom. The debut of Oasis 4 could see one of that class ship berth year round in Barcelona.

I will snuggle up with this glimmer of hope! LOL!!!

There is a slight chance Miami could get oasis 3 or 4 once majesty is long gone. There has been talk of explorer going there which would be great, but considering almost every other major brand has multiple ships there, rccl have a fancy pier and facility there and their main office is located right there it wouldn't be surprising for them to put a new ship there too.