Regatta Dry Dock?

Socal404

We are booked on a Panama Canal cruise, May, 2014. This will be our first Oceania cruise, and we can't wait. We've heard so many good things about this cruise line!

I've heard, but doing a search, can't find any info, about when the Regatta will be going in for her dry dock. I read that during its next dry dock they were going to add a Barista and will be adding a grill to the Terrace.

Would also like to hear food comparisons between the O & R class ships. I know there are only 2 specialty restaurants on the Regatta, which isn't important to us. Would like to hear about the Terrace Restaurant on the variety of offerings.

I would appreciate any info anyone might have. Thanks very much!:)

I couldn't figure out a probable time span that the Regatta or the Insignia are to be in dry dock. As for the Nautica there is a time from about 6-20 May. 2014 when she is not scheduled for a cruise. Her trip before that time has her porting in Civitavecchia. I think that is when Nautica will be in dry dock.

Would also like to hear food comparisons between the O & R class ships. I know there are only 2 specialty restaurants on the Regatta, which isn't important to us. Would like to hear about the Terrace Restaurant on the variety of offerings.

I would appreciate any info anyone might have. Thanks very much!:)

We sailed with Oceania on Regatta for the first time last year and absolutely loved eating on The Terrace. What could be better than sailing on a warm evening with the sun setting :cool: There's a good choice including roast meat, sushi, pasta plus many other delicious offerings and everything is served to you. If you have a bottle of wine from the previous night then that's also available to you. Having always shied away from buffets because of the sheer mass of people clambering to get to food and tables we were somewhat apprehensive but have no fear as this is completely painless - enjoy!!

We like the Terrace for dinner on the "R" ships very much, but due to their smaller size they can't begin to compare with Terrace on the bigger ships. It will be interesting to see what the refit does so that the "R" ships can stand up better in comparison.

But there are plenty of dinner choices! And at dinner it is far less crowded than it is at breakfast or lunch.

Mura

I couldn't figure out a probable time span that the Regatta or the Insignia are to be in dry dock.

Insignia will go when she is released from Hapag Lloyd in April & before her 1st Oceania sailing in May 2014 according to previous posts from FDR

Then why is she sitting in Miami for 5 days the trips normally due a quick turnaround

Not sure.

Maybe someone with an insight to the company's workings can answer this for us.

I believe that the R ship's were fitted out in Italy, the O ships were built in Italy and it appears that the Nautica will be in dry dock when she is in Italy so I am concluding that the Regatta will be refurbished there as well.

Then why is she sitting in Miami for 5 days the trips normally due a quick turnaround

Maybe they have a chartered cruise ???

I do not think it will be sitting in Miami for 5 days but then again you never know ;)

Not sure.

Maybe someone with an insight to the company's workings can answer this for us.

I believe that the R ship's were fitted out in Italy, the O ships were built in Italy and it appears that the Nautica will be in dry dock when she is in Italy so I am concluding that the Regatta will be refurbished there as well.

Drydocks will be in a row in Italy in 2014..May and June

Jancruz1

Regatta leaves Miami on May 1 for San Francisco and then on to Alaska. So she can't be dry docking in Italy then. Matter of fact, in 2013 and 2014 she is totally in the Americas. If she dry docks, it will have to be here, or in a large enough opening to sail to Italy, dry dock, and come back.

Regatta leaves Miami on May 1 for San Francisco and then on to Alaska. So she can't be dry docking in Italy then. Matter of fact, in 2013 and 2014 she is totally in the Americas. If she dry docks, it will have to be here, or in a large enough opening to sail to Italy, dry dock, and come back.

Hey CalSisters, my wife and I are on your May 1 cruise. It'll be our first Oceania cruise. Going with another couple. We're from socal. Funny, though, my wife is from San Carlos. Near you!

Hey SoCal404,

I think your friends just started the Roll Call for our cruise. We have been booked for a while, this will be our 6th Oceania cruise after our Alaska cruise next month.

Looking forward to seeing you on the cruise.

I would love to hear what the final decisions are on the R ship dry dock

Baristas to the GDR bar?

A grill in Terrace?

Hope there will be sort of announcement when they finalize the plans.

I think you're probably right about Baristas, although I do worry about the burned coffee smell seeping into the Dining Room, because as much as I love coffee, burned coffee gags me. Judging from the popularity of Starbucks's, I'm part of a tiny minority, I know.

Didn't FDR post that they were trying to figure out a way to add a Grill to the R ships' Terrace Cafe, but there just wasn't room?

I think you're probably right about Baristas, although I do worry about the burned coffee smell seeping into the Dining Room, because as much as I love coffee, burned coffee gags me. Judging from the popularity of Starbucks's, I'm part of a tiny minority, I know.

What do you mean burned coffee?

In Barristas the coffee is fresh not sitting around on a burner for part of the day

I am sure it would not be open at the dinner hour probably revert back to the bar for evenings

Didn't FDR post that they were trying to figure out a way to add a Grill to the R ships' Terrace Cafe, but there just wasn't room?

[/font]

In May while I was on Nautica I spoke with one of the chefs who told me he thought they were figuring out a way to do it. Not the best source but it keips me hopeful.

I enjoy coffee, but I prefer not to smell it while I am dining. I haven't noticed coffee odor or worse, stale coffee odor, when seated near another table which is on their dessert course (with coffee) while we are still enjoying our entrees, and we really enjoy getting a cocktail in the Grand Bar prior to dinner.

The Grand Bar tends to be very quiet, and I am not sure that Baristas would be quiet. Our favorite place to dine is at one of the two-tops at the wall which currently separates the Grand Bar and the GDR on the "R" ships. It's quiet there now, and there is no coffee odor. I would prefer that not change in the future.

If Baristas is added in that space in the future, then I would prefer if it is only a small Baristas, nearest the entrance to the area, while still allowing for a smaller bar nearest the actual GDR.

We may or may not be in the minority, but we don't really need or desire a Barista's, especially near the elegant GDR.

I

We may or may not be in the minority, but we don't really need or desire a Barista's, especially near the elegant GDR.

Agree, hardly need what's on the O class ships as we like the R ships just the way they are (except no separate shower in OS). ;)

I have not seen the GDR bar open for breakfast or lunch

The space is underutilized so having Barristas ther would add a use to the area

The Barristas on the O class ships is open until 6:30pm so they could do the same on the R class ships or close earlier & open the bar section for those that would like pre-dinner drinks

I have very seldom seen it busy even then, most people are in one of the other bars then go directly to dinner

Not a deal breaker for us however they choose to use the space

Lyn

I have not seen the GDR bar open for breakfast or lunch

The space is underutilized so having Barristas ther would add a use to the area

The Barristas on the O class ships is open until 6:30pm so they could do the same on the R class ships or close earlier & open the bar section for those that would like pre-dinner drinks

I have very seldom seen it busy even then, most people are in one of the other bars then go directly to dinner

Not a deal breaker for us however they choose to use the space

Lyn

We remember seeing someone behind the bar at lunchtime, at least some of the time, but we ordered wine at lunch from a server at our table, and, as I mentioned before, we nearly always sat a table at the wall adjoining the bar.

We appreciate a quiet lounge like the Grand Bar and found Martini's was generally too busy and loud and often there was nowhere to sit, while the Grand Bar on Regatta always had some seats before dinner.

Now that there are beverage packages, I think the Grand Bar could be busier during lunchtime, and having the Grand Bar open makes it more likely we would consider a premium beverage package.

Archived