Day Pass Options Summarized; Request for feedback

muirhejs

Wow, great information in this thread - thanks!

Trying to decide between the Hilton and Sheraton. I'm leaning more towards the Hilton (that's the British Colonial, right?) because we spent our 5th anniversary there 25 years ago and we know the proximity to the ships' port and straw market is excellent.

I think I've made some comments already on these places, but I'll give you my opinion. Remember, this is only my opinion and I am NOT recommeding one over the other.

Breezes - Adults only (14 and over / 18 and over at Spring Break)

This is a spring break atmosphere. Property is old and smelly, but the beach is great.

RIU - Family, Friends and couples - Small Property - One Pool, Beach is sometimes rough. No shade.

Sandals - Couples Only - nice beach/2 pools. Activities geared towards couples, but you don't have to participate.

Sheraton - True Resort Atmosphere. Family, Small Children, teens Friends, Couples. Lots to do. Great beach, 3 pools.

Wyndham - Small property - 1 pool and slide, Slide has been out of order for awhile now. Family with small kids.

Compass Point - Adults, couples - Children are allowed, but there is nothing for them to do. And would annoy others.

Hilton - This is NOT a resort atmosphere. It's a business hotel. QUIET families that want to relax. Couples, friends that want to chill out. Plenty of hammocks, day beds and cabanas.

There are no activities. Kayak, tubes available. I do not recommend this property for active children.

Marleys - Adults or couples - Children are allowed, but this is a very small Zen property with nothing for them to do. Adults would be annoyed having them make a ruckus.

Atlantis - Families with kids over 48 inches, Friends who are young, or young at heart. This is a noisy, active, crowded property. Prepare for noise, activity, loud music etc. Not a romantic /couples type of place. (IMHO).

So in comparing prices, your list, and typical/best age groups...it looks like Marleys might be good for a (non-drinking) solo looking to relax?

Scubagirl is always fabulous for information, but I don't want to put anyone in an awkward position.

Do we have any cruises who have actually been there?

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I (early 50's) plus our kids/friends - 5 of them in total in their early 20's will be in Nassau on Jan. 2nd. They will be looking for a pool/beach area to relax and do lots of drinking. What would be their best option?

I'd rather look for some tour to an island beach for the afternoon and snorkel etc... I did a powerboat tour a few years ago out of Nassau but the day tour leaves at 10:00am and we can't get off our ship until 11:00am.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for the useful information, everyone.

I will be visiting in mid-April. I like the idea of the Sheraton's pool bar and nice beach. Sounds fun! Will it be overrun with kids? I am a third grade teacher, so I would like a break from the kiddies.

Hilton also sounds nice but no swim-up pool bar. I like the fact that it's closer to the pier and there won't be tons of children.

- AJ

We have been to Breezes and as SG says it is an older property, not very well maintained IMHO...but we enjoyed ourselves in any case. Jitney #10 was fun and not too long a ride over to the area so we will take that again.

But this time we're doing the Sheraton...here are 2 great videos of it that helped us make our decision:

Edited by BecciBoo

• 1 month later...
We have been to Breezes and as SG says it is an older property, not very well maintained IMHO...but we enjoyed ourselves in any case. Jitney #10 was fun and not too long a ride over to the area so we will take that again.

But this time we're doing the Sheraton...here are 2 great videos of it that helped us make our decision:

Hi, I was wondering if you have done this already, or if this is for a future trip? This looks like it would be a good place to go for my family. Thank you for showing the videos. I wonder what that big blue thing was in the first video? I didn't notice that when going to the actual Melia site in their pictures. I wonder if that is still there. Looks like something my daughter would enjoy. It also says they have snorkeling, so I wonder if you can do that as part of the daypass? Thank you in advance!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
We will be in Nassau mid March and are thinking about the day pass @ The Melia. Has anyone been there recently? If so, how long does it take to get there via the jitney? What was your experience like? Thanks!

I would also love any updated information from people who have done day passes at what is now called the "Malia." Thanks!!

Hi! We just traveled to Nassau on the Carnival Pride Feb 2-9th. We did the day pass to Melia and the beach was beautiful. The Jitney bus was 1.25 per adult and 1.00 per child. The ride there was ok, but there was a little bit of a wait for it to fill up before it took us to the Melia. It dropped us off right across the street. (HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE DAQUIRI SHACK right there across the street! They use FRESH fruits to make them. I had the Watermelon, my husband had the Pina Colada. They were DELICIOUS and much less expensive than the drinks at Melia.)

There are free things you can use at the resort, like paddle boats, kayaks, lounge chairs. Etc. There are a few vendors that set up shop right on that beach too, but not nearly as many as the other beaches.

There was also a man selling fresh pina colada's in coconuts, but he was not affiliated with the Melia. I must say they were delicious too, and I wished he didn't get yelled at and told to go away. LOL.

The food and drink are VERY expensive at Melia. I got a Conch burger and a bahama mama and it came to $33!!!! The Bahama Mama was very small, like one of the 10 oz cups about 3/4 a way full. The Conch burger was very good, but there was a ton of Ketchup on it.

Hope this helps!!! The bus on the way back was long. There were many stops. So make sure you prepare for at least an hour to get back. Loved the driver though. He was so nice.

Forgot to add = it was 30 per person for adults and 15 for child- It came to 82 for the three of us. You could pay more and have lunch included.

Thanks for that info!! Having such a hard time choosing between that and the Hilton. Out ship gets in at noon. Do you think we will have a problem getting passes during spring break that late in the day?

Thanks for that info!! Having such a hard time choosing between that and the Hilton. Out ship gets in at noon. Do you think we will have a problem getting passes during spring break that late in the day?

Not unless you're traveling with a pack of partying kids.

If for some reason you have a problem, you can just go next door to the Wyndham. They will have them .

Hilton is more likely to be restricted, as they don't allow partying and try and keep from disturbing their guests.

Punky, were you able to purchase your pass ahead of time? TIA!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I have only seen Melia day passes available ahead of time through one company online. They have 3 options listed on their site one just the regular pass and the other 2 options were different lunch options one a buffet and the other a grill.

For Scubagirl..or anyone who has been to the beaches in Nassau.First many thanks for your opinion and help to all on the boards. I would appreciate your opinion.

We are on Allure early March and only have from 7am till 2pm. There will be 4 ships in port. I am confused.

1. Can I get a day pass to just the beach at Atlantis? If so, can that be bought in advance? The ship wants $85pp. On a map it looks like a cab ride but some people saying a boat ride via cruise excursion? can I cancel and get money back if sick or bad weather? How do these passes not thru cruise work for cancellation? Where do i buy in advance if possible?

2. How much & how long by cab to Sheraton? I am reading the bus is good price but can take a long time to/from port?

3. I saw a newsstory on line abt all construction with building on coral beach now. Can one still get to Sheraton or Wyndham or is it too noisy there with construction?

4. Scubagirl..do u snorkel? My husband has bad correction for glasses. I called place in Florida to get Rx mask basic . If we wanted to try a beach day and try to snorkel for first time with only few hours in port, is Hilton okay or Sheraton or Atlantis best?

5. Water quality at beach..clear at Hilton or not super clean due to closeness to cruise port?

6. My husband loves to kayak. With our limited time where could he kayak or better to wait for another island?

Thank you very much!

For Scubagirl..or anyone who has been to the beaches in Nassau.First many thanks for your opinion and help to all on the boards. I would appreciate your opinion.

** Glad to help.

We are on Allure early March and only have from 7am till 2pm. There will be 4 ships in port. I am confused.

1. Can I get a day pass to just the beach at Atlantis? If so, can that be bought in advance? The ship wants $85pp. On a map it looks like a cab ride but some people saying a boat ride via cruise excursion? can I cancel and get money back if sick or bad weather? How do these passes not thru cruise work for cancellation? Where do i buy in advance if possible?

Noone that I know of sells beach passes in advance except the cruiseships. The same day pass at Atlantis is $80. You would need your own transportation.. adding another $10 to the price.

Don't know the cancellation policy thru the ship.

BTW.. the Atlantis beach is the same as the FREE public beach next door at Cabbage Beach, where you can rent a chaise for $10 or so. Just grab a cab. Both Atlantis beach and Cabbage Beach can get rough at times. You could pay $80 for a beach day and not be allowed in the water if it's red flagged that day. .

2. How much & how long by cab to Sheraton? I am reading the bus is good price but can take a long time to/from port?

Cab to the Sheraton, now Melia is $18 for 2 ppl. $3 more for ea. add'l person in your party. The ride takes about 15 minutes. The jitney bus takes the same route (#10 bus) for $1.25 pp. Takes only 1 or 2 minutes more for pick ups.

3. I saw a newsstory on line abt all construction with building on coral beach now. Can one still get to Sheraton or Wyndham or is it too noisy there with construction?

Construction at Cable Beach is contained and does not impact the Wyndham or Sheraton (Melia) property at this time.

4. Scubagirl..do u snorkel? My husband has bad correction for glasses. I called place in Florida to get Rx mask basic . If we wanted to try a beach day and try to snorkel for first time with only few hours in port, is Hilton okay or Sheraton or Atlantis best?

Yes, I snorkel, and I wear an RX mask. Not great snorkeling from the beaches in Nassau, but your best bet is the Sheraton (Melia). They have a couple of Rock formations close to shore that attract sea life. This is beginner stuff.. no colorful coral heads etc, but it's fun.

5. Water quality at beach..clear at Hilton or not super clean due to closeness to cruise port?

I have NEVER had a problem with clarity at the Hilton. It's at the mouth of the harbour and the water filters thru with the tide. This is one of my favorite places. Very calm and relaxing.

6. My husband loves to kayak. With our limited time where could he kayak or better to wait for another island?

Sheraton and Hilton both have kayaks for free.

Thank you very much!

Hope this helps!

Edited by scubagirrl

Majestic Tours sells day passes for Atlantis...you're only there from 7am - 2pm though...I'd check out the Hilton or Melia...less chaos and less expensive options that include lunch..The Atlantis property is HUGE. There is an adjacent beach thats free to tourists and locals...Quite frankly this beach gets very congested when there are 4 ships in port. The Atlantis great if you plan on walking around the aquarium or have kids that will enjoy the huge slides/marine park. For snorkeling however, Melia is your best option. Their day pass with lunch is around $50 pp...Not great snorkeling at the Hilton - however the beach is quiet, it sort of a Cove...nice spot and their day passes include a credit towards food and bev :)

Hi! We just traveled to Nassau on the Carnival Pride Feb 2-9th. We did the day pass to Melia and the beach was beautiful. The Jitney bus was 1.25 per adult and 1.00 per child. The ride there was ok, but there was a little bit of a wait for it to fill up before it took us to the Melia. It dropped us off right across the street. (HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE DAQUIRI SHACK right there across the street! They use FRESH fruits to make them. I had the Watermelon, my husband had the Pina Colada. They were DELICIOUS and much less expensive than the drinks at Melia.)

There are free things you can use at the resort, like paddle boats, kayaks, lounge chairs. Etc. There are a few vendors that set up shop right on that beach too, but not nearly as many as the other beaches.

There was also a man selling fresh pina colada's in coconuts, but he was not affiliated with the Melia. I must say they were delicious too, and I wished he didn't get yelled at and told to go away. LOL.

The food and drink are VERY expensive at Melia. I got a Conch burger and a bahama mama and it came to $33!!!! The Bahama Mama was very small, like one of the 10 oz cups about 3/4 a way full. The Conch burger was very good, but there was a ton of Ketchup on it.

Hope this helps!!! The bus on the way back was long. There were many stops. So make sure you prepare for at least an hour to get back. Loved the driver though. He was so nice.

Punky, thanks for the great info. Could you tell me how you get to the jittneys. I didn't see them when I was in port last year

Thanks,

Darcy

Punky, thanks for the great info. Could you tell me how you get to the jittneys. I didn't see them when I was in port last year

Thanks,

Darcy

Not punky here.. but I can tell you how to get to the #10 jitney.

From the Port Gate, got straight 1 block to Bay Street. Make a right.

Walk 3 short blocks -- pass the straw market. On the left is George Street. You board the bus on George at Bay Street. Someone will be on the corner telling you where to board.

It's $1.25pp Pay as you get off the bus. Driver generally does not give change. US or Bah $ accepted.

Ride takes about 15 minutes. Just tell the driver where you want to get off. He'll let you know when to get off. You can miss it.. easy peasy.

1. Sheraton Day Pass

Transportation: Taxi ($15 each way) or Jitney ($1-2pp; exact change only)

2 General Options:

Option A: $99 which includes a room for 2 guests (7am-7pm); +$10pp additional person (up to 2). Can be purchased upon arrival or reserved in advance. Contact (242) 327-6000.

Can anyone speak to what the OP refers to as Sheraton option A (the room for a day)? Does this option still exist after the change to Melia?